“Great seafood selection but with processed garlic?”
Review of El Muellesito

El Muellesito
Ranked #753 of 977 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: Seafood
Sanibel Island, Florida
“Great seafood selection but with processed garlic?”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

El Muellesito means "little dock" in spanish. I am a big fan of this establishment that is out of the Hotel Zone and on the very edge of downtown Cancun. I have been here many times and have never had a bad meal. I am fond of the appetizers, guacamole (the best anywhere), perfectly prepared seafood and inexpensive drinks. However, on my last visit, I ordered my very favorite grilled jumbo shrimp (in the shell) and could not believe that they had lathered it in processed garlic with oil. It completely ruined the entree'. I am very open minded about food and can easily swing from the lower end restaurants to the higher end without a problem. I am fond of most everything but when a restaurant cuts corners and uses inexpensive processed garlic with oil, I am baffled. It is surely a lazy way to cook and the chef in this great place needs to pay attention. There is nothing like fresh garlic and when it is used, it can enhance the entree'. In this case, it appeared that they used the cheap stuff you buy in a large jar from Costco. Yes...they have Costco in Cancun.

I am not a complainer nor do I ever send the food back. Instead, I scraped every bit of the foul garlic/oil coating off of the shrimp and enjoyed the sweet, succulent meat from these four giant prawns. They were split like lobster tails and were mucho grande. More like langostino. I thoroughly enjoyed the made from scratch guacamole. The service was attentive, fast and friendly. No problems at all. You can sit on the veranda or inside where there's a sports bar area. A little dark for my taste but still enjoyable. It's not on the water but on a busy city street. There is valet parking but you can find a safe, secure parking spot a block or two away.

I would absolutely go back because of their great menu but PLEASE; get rid of that artificial garlic. Mexico has superb, fresh garlic and it is soooo cheap in the markets. Please take the time to chop it or slice it paper thin for a great enhancement to your fabulous menu.

Oh, by the way....the prices are very reasonable by US standards. You can eat, drink and really enjoy a super meal for less than $15.00 US.

I hope the managers/owners read my review and get some fresh garlic for the next visit.

• Visited March 2011