WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“very happy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Punta Allen

Punta Allen
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cancun
Ranked #125 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
“very happy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

People are friendly and helpful. Very well located in the downtown, close to the foreing bus station. Very clean. We were in Cancun Allen one week. My husband and I were happy there. Is the second time in Cancun and in Cancun Allen.

Room Tip: with balcony are good
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed for three nights in Punta Allen in the summer of 2010. First off, we LOVED Punta Allen and highly recommned that anyone who wants to relax and enjoy great snorkeling go there.
We booked a hotel on-line because we were afraid of not being able to find a place. Liking the website (always dangerous!) we booked at Posada Serena and were greatly disappointed. We should have known something was amiss when we were asked to pay in advance for our entire stay, which we did. August of last year was incredibly hot in the Tulum area; we heard from many people that it was the hottest summer in memory. We were miserable and unable to sleep because the fans in our cabana turned off at about 1:00am, when all of Punta Allen loses electricty. The cabanas are not really built for hot weather because the slanted roof - great for rain, I´m sure - doesn´t allow for any airflow. Though the mistress, Serena, was kind to us, we were disappointed in the facility, which we have reason to believe was not cleaned after the last clients left.
After two miserable nights at Posada Serena, we went to Casa Ascencion to eat at the restaurant. While there, we saw that the rooms were very clean, the food excellent, and THERE WAS AIR CONDITIONING! Energy there was created by solar panels, which meant that there were fans availble througout the night. Michael, the owner, was surprisingly willing to help us. After we couldn´t finish our pizza one night he put it in the refrigerator for us and we ate our left-overs the next evening! Now that´s service.
I decided to write now - as opposed to right after our stay - because I noticed that someone had posted a very positive review of Michael´s place that others stated was probably written by the owner. Of course, I can´t say whether or not Michael would review his own place, but I can say that our experience mirrored the experience of superior service mentioned in the criticized post. When we go back to Punta Allen we will stay with Michael.
Also, I should make it clear that we did not stay in Casa Ascension because we had prepaid at the other place and were out of cash. So, though I saw the rooms and wished I could sleep in one, I cannot speak to the hotel end of the business. I know from our other contacts with Michael and other staff that it would be a superior experience, however.
Please, anyone out there with doubts or questions, ask away.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family