“AWESOME FOR THE PRICE!!!”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #28 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed September 27, 2010

This hotel was recommended to us by friends of ours who have a time share there. We went to the royal solaris from June 16th through the 21st. I traveled with my husband and 22 month old son. Our trip was fantastic!!! And the PRICE WAS RIGHT! Our room was in the caribe tower. Our room was huge and gorgeous!! I loved everything about it. I love that it felt like we had our own pool and snack bar and bar. The caribe tower is at the other end of where all the "action" is. (main pool etc) We had breakfast every morning at the buffett right downstairs from our room. I forget the name.

The drinks were delicious. The bartenders were so nice. The staff was great. One night we ate at the buffet and my husband said "I'm in the mood for chocolate ice cream". But they didnt have it out. My husband asked the waiter and wallah..he delivered ice cream to my husband. It was amazing. They really do try to accomdate you in any way they can. :)

My son loved it there. When he gets a little older he will really enjoy the kids club. I can't wait to go back! I wish we bought a time share cause I would love to go every year!

The food was delicious. Where else can you get guacamole, pico de gallo, and margaritas all day long and as much as you want???

We was there for fathers day and on that day we were lucky enough to get one of the gazebos that over look the ocean. And there's drink service for them (also included). THAT'S AMAZING! :)

All in all we had a blast and are going back in january! CAN'T WAIT. :)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,342)

Reviewed September 25, 2010

Was very disappointed. was not forwarned of the construction going on. Marco Polo restaurant over rated. The buffet, which was the only restaurant open, had the same food for all three meals. Just served differently. The pool was great. The service was ok. I have been to Cancun twice before and plan on going to another hotel. They should put on the web site that it was under construction, Guess you get what you pay for...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I arrived with my mom and sister at the Royal Solaris Sept 18. We staed for 4 days. Check in was easy. Did not get stopped by any harrassing sales people thank God. Our luggage was brought to our room within minutes of being in our room. Beach was nice. Hotel service was awesome!! Everyone was soooo nice and always wanted to make your stay even more welcoming. Food was not that great. The outside pool buffet actually had the best food and that was only for lunch. The Marco Polo restaurant also had better food. Pool was always clean and very nice. Entertainment staff was GREAT! We always took a cab into the downtown area. Usually about $12....it was very safe. I can't wait to come back again and I will be staying at the Royal Solaris again.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank violett920
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I went with my fiancee, brother and cousins; two of which were18-19 yrs of age.
Ok service, we were a group of 5 and wanted two rooms together and they did not have any rooms together so the first night we were on different floors and after that we were able to move to the same floor, but 5 rooms down. Bartenders, servers and other staff were friendly.
The room was average, nothing special, nothing bad. Just 1 complaint: some rooms do not have doors that slowly shut behind, so they slam shut causing walls to vibrate and loud noise.
The location is the south end of the hotel zone, 15-20 minutes away from downtown... Not really convenient if you want to go downtown often, and since there is not a good night life (the nightly entertainment was not good and there is no room with pool table, etc to hang out at) you might want to be downtown more often...
Food is average, this is our fourth time in Cancun and the fourth different resort we've stayed and and we have had better food. But we found at least one thing we liked every night and were full.
Love the beach, some resorts at the north end do not have the best beach (it is more seeweedy at the north end), pool was good.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank sandeep9585
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This was my bachelor party with 7 guys. We were looking for a cheap all inclusive "resort." Bottom line you get what you pay for. Cheap alcohol, Food was bad. The pool side food was tolerable, nothing extravagant. American food. Buffet Dinners were terrible (and we were drinking). We never visited the restaurants. The staff was OK. The pool activities were fun. Swim up pool bar closes early 6pm. Nice beach area. Large area ,but no bar down there. It was good for what we were looking for but I would not go back with the wife/family or couples vacation.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank brandonh6
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I really liked the Royal Solaris and so did the two teenage boys who were with me. I was talking to one of the fellow guests on his last day, the day before 'getaway day', and he said his teenage kids were up in the room, depressed because they were leaving so soon. They had such a great time they did not want to leave at all.

A lot of these reviews are very complete, and I agree with all of the complimentary ones. IMHO Anyone who complains either had a different situation than mine or are very picky.

One point I have not seen anywhere, and I think it is worth mentioning. The rooms do not have DVD players in the rooms, and (of course) there is no place to rent DVDs. I luckily found this out ahead of time so we were pretty much ready for it. One of the boys brought his xBox, which can also play DVDs. The TVs have the 3-plug access (1 video, 2 audio) in front so they could connect and play xBox or we could watch DVDs. We went into town and bought DVDs the first day. We took the bus and went to the WalMart. The locals are very proud of it and its pretty good. I also saw a sign for Sam's Club, but I didn't have my card with me. We also got a volley ball to use in the hotel pool. There is a semi-permanent volleyball game going on in a side pool at the Royal Towers, mostly with teenagers. Our volley ball let my guys run over and start a game anytime they wanted to.

Another point -- many of the electric sockets are two-prong only. My room had one 3-prong and the rest 2-prong. The boy's room had 2-prong only. If you have a 3-prong plug, you cannot plug into a 2-prong socket, unless you cut off the extra prong. The reverse situation is not a problem, of course. I suggest bringing 3-prong to 2-prong converters just in case, although the gift shop in the Caribe tower did have that converter for sale.

Another thing to clarify -- there is no wi-fi except in the lobby -- I say that because two teenage boys couldn't find any. There is none in the rooms. There are a few networked computers but the hourly internet charge is something like 15 dollars. BTW -- beware of prices quoted in these reviews with a '$' -- the dollar sign is the Mexican symbol for the peso, which was converting at 12.5 pesos to 1 dollar when I was there. The prices that are in US dollars usually say 'usd' or 'dollars'. Not a problem, just make sure you know which it stands for, a peso or a dollar.

Things to know -- customers with yellow wrist bands are people who own a timeshare at this hotel. They would be most knowledgeable if you wanted a unbiased answer on something. The customers with green wristbands are RCI timeshares traders (like me). People with black shirts are usually hotel representatives, who can be helpful, but keep in mind they also will try to sell you a timeshare when you first arrive. I have been on enough of those things at other places to know that a '90 minute tour' is a lie of the first magnitude. They promise freebies, but when you take the tour you are kidnapped for 3.5 to 4.5 hours and you are harassed to the point that the whole rest of the day is spoiled. Or, maybe its just me. If you want to take your chances, go ahead. But the freebies you get are not worth the hassles you get, in my experience .

Overall, I greatly recommend this place, but be aware that there are a few flaws.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank hbarnes14
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Worst place I've ever stayed at...very old and run down. Lamps and doors in room falling apart, cords with bare wires....upgraded room to hot tub (worked half the time). Way too many kids everywhere...walls paper thin. Can hear EVERYTHING on your floor...even the elevators half way down the hall. My husband and I stay at the Riviera Maya a few months ago.......100 times better....would NOT recommend this place to anybody. If money is tight, then I guess it's better than nothing, but otherwise.....don't stay here!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple