“Excellent hotel... A shame for one bad hostess.”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #25 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“Excellent hotel... A shame for one bad hostess.”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had an excellent stay in this hotel. Great views, rooms and service. Nevertheless we had an awful experience with the hostess of the "bogavante" restaurant, she's called Ivanova she was lazy, rude and not helpful at all... A shame with the whole experience that the restaurant and the hotel gives.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed for 7 days the first week in june, we could not be more pleased with the overall experience! the room was great ( stayed on the 4th floor) food exceeded expectations, staff was great, beach was amazing, would definitely return and will as soon as possible. We have stayed at different resorts in the playa area and much preferred this one with the only exception being the snorkeling was better in playa.

Room Tip: Booked a king room for us and a double for the kids above ground level to avoid some of the humidity...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Doug H
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Clean rooms, excellent food, and food available all day long. Excellent service in all restaurants, bars, at the beach, and especially at the pool. Tons of fun with sports and entertainment team. Sad when I had to leave, is like I was leaving family!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andria C
Albany NY
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed from the 17th-22nd of May. I chose this hotel because it looked smaller (calmer) than others and the hotel itself looked beautiful!! It was our first time in Mexico. We arrived in the evening and when we first pulled up we could tell it was going to be exactly what we expected. Even passengers that shared a shuttle with us were mentioning how nice this particular hotel looked. The staff were helpful and kind from the moment we walked in. When we got to our room, we were extremely pleased. Our room was super nice, well decorated, and clean. Mini fridge was stocked with a few water bottles, sodas and beers. They only restock once a day (in the afternoon I believe) so make sure you don't leave your do not disturb sign up! We were also very fortunate to have a room with a balcony. Ocean view to the left and lagoon view to the right, great views that made great pictures! One problem I had with our room was the shower. It would randomly turn really hot.. To really cold... It would never stay at one temperature. We joked and said a ghost was turning it on us =p. That was slightly annoying, but the biggest problem we had was our door knocking all night due to the wind. My boyfriend eventually figured out a solution by stuffing a few pamphlets underneath the door and that solved the problem. The restaurants and buffets at both the gr caribe and the royal solaris were really nice BUT the food was questionable. We didn't get sick, but everything was pretty bland. I was excited to try authentic Mexican food but nothing jumped out at me. My boyfriend and I both agreed the food was just OK. We really enjoyed snacking at the pool bar. Sad to say, but I think I liked eating there more than at the restaurants. Bogavante had to be my favorite, not because of the food, but because it was right on the beach. As for events and activities, this hotel doesn't have a lot to offer, but it's really understandable because of how small and quiet it is. I didn't mind at all. We talked to other vacationers on our snorkeling excursion and they raved about entertainment all throughout the night at their hotels, BUT they did not have the same quiet and calm atmosphere like this one. If you're in high school or college looking for a spring break experience, this definitely isn't the place to go. I'm 20 and my boyfriend is 21, but we both don't care for the overcrowded party experience. I honestly love anywhere where there's beautiful scenery and a beach, and that's what I found here! Beach was clean and lightly populated, and the building in the background made great pictures. If we return to Cancun in the future, I honestly can not see myself at another hotel. It was too perfect here! Great experience and great staff.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Mmandrl
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I traveled there June 4 through June 10th, 2014, which I didn't realize was their low season for travelers, so the hotel and facilities were rarely full or too busy. We were NEVER approached about a timeshare, which was a big concern for me based on other reviews. It took us just minutes to check in, we were immediately greeted by Gaby, the lobby bar waitress, who is AMAZING and ADORABLE, and we were given drinks of our choice. The pool bar staff was great as well, especially Paco, who did a fantastic job at making sure we had enough drinks in our hands. We never had to go up to the bar unless we wanted snacks, which the pool food was some of our favorite we had throughout entire trip.

The pictures online of this hotel really don't lie, beautiful landscaping and Mediterranean architecture, always staff around sweeping and keeping the hotel area neat and clean, inside and out. Like the negative reviews state, the walls are thin in the rooms, but we lucked out and didn't have neighbors after our first night. We were also far enough away from the pool area and lobby that we didn't hear the late night noises and gatherings. Would be a good idea to bring ear plugs though just in case. Like a lot of reviews, the toilets are tricky in the rooms. You have to push the handle down hard, otherwise it acts like it's broken or clogged, but it works fine. The bed was firmer than we are used to but we never had back or neck pain and slept like babies every night until the birds woke us up! Not one insect was found in our room and it was always very well cleaned daily.

The food in all the restaurants was just slightly bland and the meats/poultry were dry, except for the salmon entrees which were cooked perfectly. They probably just worry about undercooking meats and putting too much spices in their food, but it was eatable, we never left a plate unfinished! The sauces and garnishes they added to some of the meat dishes were actually really good! I liked the smaller portion sizes, since they like you to eat at least a 3 course meal it helps from gaining too much vacation weight! The waiting staff was always friendly, attentive and efficient at all the restaurants!

The all-inclusive package states that tips are included, but we had the extra money so we tipped the waiting staffs and cleaning services daily. We never had the need to convert our US dollars into pesos, but beware that you will get pesos returned to you in change, not US money. It's also a national law for them not to accept US dollars with pen markings on them, so beware of that as well! We planned a trip to Isla Mujeres which I would actually NOT recommend. I would have regretted it if we hadn't gone, but I'm glad I know what it's like now and will not be going back. It's a ton of locals just trying to get money out of you. Our lunch was great but way over priced, the roundtrip ferry ride was also expensive, and there wasn't much beach to lay out on. You also had to be an "island member" to use the public restrooms, unless you were a customer in one of the restaurants then you could use theirs. I'm telling you, it sounds exotic but totally not worth the money to go there.

It was nice to have access to Royal Solaris since GR Caribe is a bit smaller, but I appreciated GR for the low-key, quieter feel, as Royal was constantly filled with small children and large families and was always loud. In GR, we saw just as many younger couples like us as we did older, so I wouldn't consider it the "older" couples resort like I've read in other reviews. After reading all the negatives about this resort and experiencing it for ourselves, it's hard to not think those negative reviews are crazy, or we were just really blessed! We wouldn't have changed anything about our trip and can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jenny W
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We were originally booked at the GR Solaris, but the hotel kindly changed our reservations after we learned the pool at the GR Solaris was under construction. Adriana Dominguez was an amazing resource throughout this process. Her expertise, kindness, and patience was unparalleled as she worked tirelessly to make sure our vacation would be exactly what we hoped for.

The only negative experience about our stay was our check-in. We travelled with two other families and arrived at the GR Caribe pretty late-- around 10:00 PM on a Sunday night. The front desk clerks were not helpful in the least and didn't provide us with the upgraded rooms we paid for. Though we were stuck with some substandard rooms (too small for the family of four and two double beds and a dangerous shower set up for a couple), Adriana Dominguez worked hard with the front desk supervisor to resolve these issues.

In reading past reviews, I was a little concerned about the food and drink at the GR Caribe. As it turned out, the food and drink was pretty amazing! Paco was our poolside waiter and his team of bartenders made some of the best drinks I've had. Our drinks were well made and tasty. We requested the better liquors and were given them every time. On our more daring days, we requested doubles and were given those as well. We had lunch at the poolside buffet every day and enjoyed the offerings. Veneto's food was *amazing.* We dined there for dinner four of the seven nights we stayed and enjoyed all of the delicious offerings they had. We are certainly not gourmands and, as a result, our expectations aren't as high as other travelers. We thought the food and drink was exceptional.

Though we had full access to the sister property next door, we only went one day. We were all surprised that even the 8 and 12 year old we travelled with preferred the GR Caribe. Even though the GR Caribe is smaller, it provides everything we could ask for in a resort-- great service, a nice pool, and quick access to an exquisite beach. We absolutely loved the property.

The rooms were okay, but nothing spectacular. We all wonder if staying in the Hotel Zone means the rooms are generally smaller than other places. Really, though, it didn't matter because we spent so little time in our room. We were surprised at how much noise we could hear in our room, especially because the GR Caribe looks so solidly built. Noise definitely travels in this hotel. If you have an adjoining room, you can hear your neighbors clearly. Noise also travels from the courtyards to all of the rooms. If you're a light sleeper, be sure to pack some ear plugs.

For all planning to go to the GR Caribe, I have one very important suggestion: Be sure to wear some kind of footwear no matter where you are! All surfaces in and around the hotel are extremely slippery and everyone is likely to fall, whether in the room, on a balcony, or around the pool. I even showered with my flip flops because I was so gun shy after my first fall.

We had a wonderful time at the GR Caribe. We paid a lot less for this vacation than we have for others in the past, but we enjoyed this trip as much, if not more, than the others. With the exception of the front desk, every employee we dealt with was helpful, kind, and professional. Food and drinks were excellent. The property is beautiful, but the true star of the trip is the beautiful beach and ocean.

Room Tip: Request a room away from major traffic areas. If the front desk isn't helpful, be sure to speak...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

After choosing this hotel for our honeymoon we were excited to be sitting on the beach, sipping on a marg, happily married. When we got there one of our friends was taken to a dirty room which they promptly switched out. Our room was facing the beach with a beautiful view .. That's about all our stay ended up being. Within 2 days of us being there we had to kill a HUGE cockroach in our room! Every day after that we saw at least one roach a day .. Not happy .. On our last day there I had finally had enough and stormed up to the front desk and demanded they do something to remedy our problem. I loudly announced in front of a lobby full of people that our room had roaches and something needed to be done. They offered to spray the room and put us in a different room. After that I didn't step one foot in the room. Housekeeping came to spray and when told it was roaches her eyes about popped out of her head and hurried and left. My husband packed the rest of our stuff (after going through to make sure we weren't bringing any bugs home) and we stayed in our friends room which had a centipede problem. The food was definitely buffet style food. The burgers there didn't taste anything like beef and unless you were handing one of the staff money they didn't pay attention to us. One night we went to their Veneto(sp) restaurant and listened to the wait staff laugh while looking our way the entire time we were there. This place ruined our honeymoon! We were ready to come home after 3 days but stuck it out the whole week since it was hard enough to talk to the staff. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Ashley M
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear guest

We apologize that your stay wasn’t as pleasing as it was supposed to be and not meeting your expectations.

All the points you mentioned have been notified to the managment. We listen our guest and try to make them happy for that reason we work hard and care each comment which helps us to improve daily.

We are really concerned about the situation you experienced, allow us to inform you that we have a strong fumigation program in all Hotel areas; especially in the rooms; however we are working into this situation and making the proper adjustments.

We had liked you would have experienced the real Solaris passion and enjoyed your honeymoon.

Hoteles Solaris de México.
^X
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#51 of 175 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#78 of 175 in Cancun

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!