“Cafe Solaris - Breakfast”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #25 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
“Cafe Solaris - Breakfast”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Great service by the chefs doing eggs and pancakes. Enjoyed the welcome we received from Captain Edwin and Hostess Paola every morning - especially the spanish lessons. Nice selection for breakfast, like the sweet breads.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed the food and the great service in GR Caribe. Thank you for pointing out how great our staff is, we will inform them.
We are glad to read you enjoy our spanish lessons; El Capitán Edwin y Paola siempre los recibirán con una cálida y gran sonrisa.

Esperamos poder recibirlos de nuevo durante su siguiente viaje a Cancún

Saludos desde México hasta Minnesota
Hoteles Solaris de México
^S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Korean first
Coaldale, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The room we were in had a big jacuzzi tub, as well as a shower/jacuzzi tub on the main floor of the hotel. On our second last day while I had just gotten out of the shower and was getting ready when there was a loud zapping sound then an explosion right behind me huge flames came out of the jacuzzi in the bathroom. It was so scary. We grabbed all of our stuff and left the room. A hotel employee happened to be outside of the room and I had told him, he called some other people over to look at the fire. I went to the front desk to let them know what had happened, because I did not know what else I should do. The front desk were notified before I even got there but they did not seem too concerned that my mom and I just about got burned to death/electrocuted in the bathroom. However, they were very professional and set us up in another room and said that if there was anything we needed to just ask them. They provided us with a fruit tray and a letter of apology. At an all inclusive resort with food and drinks as good as this hotel, there is not much more you really need.
The only bad thing was the new room was really noisy (it was on the 4th level, and it was spring break). It was too bad because I feel we lost a whole day of our only 6 day vacation moving rooms and reporting what had transpired.
I will stress the hotel service was great, and thankfully none of us got hurt. I would go back to the hotel because despite that one set back, everything else was absolutely fantastic.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathryn S
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at the GR Caribe by Solaris.
Whereby this hotel may lack in space, the great customer service and excellent food
far outweigh any expected comparisons from larger cookie cutter chain resort styles.
The staff are very friendly and attentive to guest needs. The hotel and beach grounds
are well maintained. The food at the restaurants were outstanding, definitely 5 star.
The buffet had would satisfy most individuals taste without being excessive.
We had access to the Royal Solaris which was typical to chain resorts with its stand up bar.

Minor complaints would be the inability to get smaller bills at the front desk, no free WIFI
and the cracks around the hotel room door. We had relatively quiet neighbours,
but it could have been troublesome. There are only blinds in the room, so the morning sun
does enter the room, if that bothers individuals, I would recommend night shades.
These are concerns are minimal to the positives that this hotel has to offer.
My husband and I went for a couples Mexican massage at their beautiful spa facilities.
Alicia and Yani soothed all our aches and pains. Total relaxation !
This charming, quaint boutique hotel was a pleasant retreat from the ordinary

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tricia-ComeFlyWithMe
It is always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.
We are happy to know how much you enjoyed the excellent food and we appreciate your remark about our outstanding restaurants, the great customer service and our friendly and attentive staff in GR Caribe. We are glad to read you had the best experience ir our beautiful spa, It'll be a pleasure to welcome you once more, Alicia and Yani will be glad to pamper you as you deserve on your next vacation.
We value your opinion as we are always looking for ways we can improve the guest experience.

Looking forward to see you soon and exceed your expectations.

Kind Regards,
Hoteles Solaris de México
Saludos desde México hasta Winnipeg
^S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The GR hotel was so completely amazing. As soon as we got out of our van, we were offered drinks. This was something that I really loved (I was parched from the heat). From then on until the end of our trip, we were in paradise. We were given a free upgrade and ended up in a huge and amazing beach front room. The food was always amazing. We were in food heaven. Im not a seafood eater, but there were always plenty of options. The breakfast buffet was amazing! You must have the omelets whenever possible. We also had access to the royal solaris next door, so we ate everywhere during our stay. All the restaurants and buffets were very good. The staff was completely incredible. Always with a smile on their face. The concierge (i feel really bad because I forgot her name) was extremely helpful. Very knowledgeable and friendly, even to our dumb tourist questions. The grounds were always clean, despite the other spring breakers. I was very pleased with their care of the hotel and beach area. the drinks were really good as well! i love Dos XX beer, which i had frequently. Overall very pleased with this hotel and it was soooo worth it for the price we paid.

PS. HUGE shout out to Miguel at the 24/7 lobby bar. he was the dude everyone looked for at night! great company and amazing drinks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Ricardo A
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for sharing your Solaris Experience with all the Tripadvisor users and for having left such a wonderful and honest comment regarding your recent stay at GR Caribe.

We are pleased to read you enjoyed the room, quality and variety of the food, beach, pools, service and the access to our sister hotel next door.

Once more we appreciate you for taking the time to share your review. Hope you come back to visit us in a near future. We'll be waiting for you with open arms.

Warm regards from Cancún to Chicago.
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have never been to an all-inclusive before so I didn't know what to expect and I heard the food might be bad. I was really impressed with the hotel (which is an older building but beautifully maintained and very clean) and the service. The dinner menus were highly creative and a little repetitive, but not overly so. The pool was gorgeous and quiet (on the smaller side) at the GR and huge and loud (very Spring Break) at the Royal Solaris next door, where we also had privileges. I enjoyed going between the two resorts and having the variety. The ocean was rough, which was perfect for us because we loved body surfing. One other reviewer said it was too rough, but we loved it. I didn't leave the property all week so I don't know how well situated it is, except that it was a quick taxi ride to the airport and had a beautiful stretch of beach. The alcohol was of questionable quality (and drinks were not strong), but I was prepared for that. I don't have another all inclusive to compare it to, but I'm not sure how much more they could have done to impress me. I'll go back for sure.

Excellent service awards for:
Darwin
Edwin
Jose
Carlie
Carmen
Gabriel

Room Tip: The ocean view room was nice, but I don't think I would pay extra for it. The windows are high...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Wellington24
Thank you for choosing us to spend a great vacation and also to experience for the first time an all-inclusive hotel. We appreciate you for taking the time to write a fabulous review regarding your recent stay at GR Caribe.

We are pleased to know that you were impressed with the hotel and the service, enjoyed the food, restaurants, pools, the access to our sister resort next door and doing body surfing in paradise.

Thank you very much for pointing out many names of coworkers who will undoubtedly appreciate your kind comments as Darwin, Edwin, Jose, Carlie, Carmen and Gabriel.

It'll be a pleasure to welcome you once more and pamper you as you deserve on your next vacation.

Warm regards from Cancún to Boston.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We just returned from our third trip to the GR Caribe and the resort has changed. The staff at the front counter ( the people that book you in and are supposed to greet you?) are not able to communicate as they didn't seem to be able to speak English. I asked a couple simple questions and they were not able to say much accept thank you and did not acknowledge me. SMOKING is allowed everywhere and I and my family are non smokers. Smoking is permitted and is done around the pool area including the lounge area that we were trying to relax at. Cigarette butts are discarded and are all over the resort and when I asked staff if smoking was permitted around the pool area which is where a lot of kids play the response was of course it is! There was no courtesy when it came to the smoking this made being pool side not enjoyable.
ANGEL and GABRIEL are the best! They are great with children and made my daughter feel important and made her stay fun while at the pool. If you are a non smoker I would not go to the GR Caribe and would look into another resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Familymanincancun
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Guest :

Allow us to express our appreciation for sharing your review, which contributes greatly to our improvement and keeps us focused on what we are doing right and what needs to be changed in order to provide our guests an impeccable vacation experience.

We apologize that your stay wasn’t as pleasing as it was supposed to be and not having met your expectations as few years ago. However we are glad that Angel and Gabriel did their best to make your daughter feel important and make her stay fun at the pool. This is the service we want you remember.

Regarding the inconvenience you have experienced during the check in, comes as such a surprise because we receive so much praise for their work and personalized service. Believe us that we are going to pay more attention to communication issues in the future.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for all inconvenience you experienced, our General Manager will take corrective actions immediately.

Sincerely
lexington, KY
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Just got back from spending 4 nights at the GR Caribe with former college roommates. We were all extremely pleased with the hotel. It has the feeling of a quaint, botique type hotel in the midst of all the huge, overwhelming resorts in Cancun. The hotel is clean, comfortable, and beautiful. There were no large crowds, and the staff was extremely friendly. We were never approached about purchasing a time share. If you are in the mood for larger pools, swim up bar, or nightlife, the sister resort is a pebble's throw away, and provides anything else that you might want. You do have the luxury, though, to return to your less crowded, more intimate resort, though.
The pools and hot tubs had a beautiful view of the beach, and we never had trouble finding 4 chairs together. The pool and beach chairs are comfortable. The poolside food is very good. Nextdoor at Royal Solaris, the poolside pizzas are delicious. I was very impressed with all food. We only ate at the buffets for breakfast. The small waffles, and omlets were great. Bogavante was our favorite lunch place. The view is unbeatable, and the food delicious. I consider myself somewhat of a "foodie" and I really felt like the a la carte meals here were great. Each meal can be up to 6 courses with very small tapas type portions of first courses, and a perfect sized main. Our favorite dinner restaurants were Veneto which is at GR Caribe and Marco Polo which is next door.
The rooms were clean, and the beds fairly comfortable. We were on the 4th floor and had a nice view of the pool and beach. A balcony would have been nice, and the walls are pretty thin, but neither of those two things would be enough to deter me from returning to this resort.

Room Tip: I would recommend being on floor 3 or higher. Since the restarurants and pool entrance are on the se...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank skblexington
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you very much for sharing such a wonderful SolarisExperience on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you have had 4 nights full of fun, delicious food and good times.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with your former college roommates, your room, the access to our great and fun sister hotel next door, the restaurants, pizzas, waffless and omelets.

Hope you come back soon and let us to pamper you as you deserve.

Have a lovely day.
Warm regards from Cancún to lexington.
^X
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#51 of 175 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#78 of 175 in Cancun

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!