“Don't Bother Staying Here....”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #25 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Oak Brook, Illinois
“Don't Bother Staying Here....”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Where to start. While stories usually begin from the beginning I have to start in the middle because of how disgusted I was by this particular incident. While using the restroom, an employee wearing a chefs hat came in and urinated in the urinal next to me. When he left the restroom, he did NOT wash his HANDS. I was so appalled I spoke to the manager who's name I forget. She did NOT apologize on his behalf, And only said that she would speak to the staff but she couldn't believe one of the chefs would use the restroom and not wash their hands.

Now from the beginning. Our original reservation was at Solaris Royal (adjoining hotel). When we went to check in, we were told we were upgraded to the "better" hotel next store, GR Caribe at no extra charge....hmmmm. Okay. So we go next store to check in to our upgraded hotel only to find out our room has been downgraded. I paid for and upgraded to an ocean view room at the Solaris Royal. The first room they gave us had a tiny window to view the ocean through a palm tree and no balcony. We went downstairs and requested a different room. After much back and forth, they gave us a new room that was larger but had no balcony. The there's the time share pitch. Complete waste of time. 2.5 hours - when they say 90 minutes and they just won't accept that you're not interested. And what did we get in return, two lousy 30 minutes massages. I would have rather paid for the massages and not gone to the presentation. Speaking of massages...we tried to allow a friend staying at another hotel to use of the massages because of our 2 year old the two of us couldn't do a couples massage. When our friend tried to enter the hotel they wouldn't let her unless she paid $100 for a day bracelet. Come on really...we explained she was just going to go massage and leave. She wasn't going to try and drink or eat for free. Still the answer was no unless we paid the $100.

We purchased internet for a week at our hotel. It only worked at our hotel even though we could use the adjoining hotel. This is fine if you are only staying in your hotel, but the larger pool is at Royal Solaris; the gym is at Royal Solaris; the kids swimming area is at Royal Solaris and the larger buffet is at Royal Solaris - so the internet was basically useless unless we were in our room at Grand Cribe.

The view from the beach was nice. The staff at the pool was wonderful. And that is the only reason for two stars. I would NOT recommend this hotel to my enemy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank JimmyP803
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear guest.

We reiterate an apology for the incident that observed with one of our coworkers. We are really concerned because it's the first time we have experienced this situation. We take a high control of hygiene in our kitchens and food handling; all chefs are required to wash their hands with soap and sanitizer in the kitchens of our restaurants, therefore we assure that before preparing any food this process is carried out rigorously.

Returning to the incident, allow us to inform you we talked with all kitchen managers about the importance of carrying out the processes already implemented on the same day that you came to tell us. It is a shame that we were not able to know who the chef was, however we guarantee you that we have taken the necessary corrective actions to ensure that this situation will never happen again.

We appreciate your comment regarding Internet, we have informed to our General Manager the points you have mentioned, so are already being analyzed and taken seriously to make changes in order to provide our guests an impeccable vacation experience.

Please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay.

Hoteles Solaris de México.
^X

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The GR Caribe Deluxe

Check-in:
-The staff greeted us with a smile, they were very courteous and provided us with a very tasty "welcome drink". They then promptly refer you to concierge to inform you about the hotel and where to find everything. However, the concierge seems to be there solely to push tour deals on you in an attempt to get you to attend one of their 90 minute presentations for a time-share (We spoke to one couple who attended and they said it ended up being over 3 hrs long!). JUST SAY "NO"! In my opinion, Conceirge should be there for you, without a hidden agenda. No matter what you need from concierge, expect peddling on their part.

The Room:
-We had reserved a Deluxe Ocean View Room. The first room they gave us had two double beds and was on the main floor, just off the lobby and on the main corridor. We asked to be switched to a King room and we were accomodated after a 45min wait. The room we ended up in was a nice corner room, it was well decorated and had a very nice view. The minibar was regularly stocked with soda, water and Sol mini beers. There were robes in the room, and overall, it was quite clean. Now for the bad: The bed is hard a a rock. The website says "pillow top mattress"....uh....no way. Next, there is a paper thin door adjoining the rooms. We heard everything our neighbors said and did whenever they were in their room, and although we tried to keep our noise level down, I have no doubt that they could also hear us. One night we shot straight up in bed to the sound of shattering glass (They had broken a plate). Not really the kind of rest we were looking for. Also, they had an alarm set for 6pm in their room, but were never in their room during that time. We attempted to have ANYONE shut the darn thing off for 3 days with no luck. So, we listened to an alarm each night for an hour as we got ready for dinner. After they checked out, I asked the maid to turn it off and thankfully, she did. I should also note, that there are no balconies and the overall layout of the property is terrible. Like a labrinth until you get the hang of it...

The Food:
-At the risk of sounding like a food snob, I will say that the food, overall, was terrible. I actually wanted to pay to go to elsewhere to eat just to avoid the food that was included with our stay there. We had access to 6 restaurants between the two hotels there and I could only recommend 2 of them. Breakfast at the hotel was an okay experience for us. I ordered an omelet each day without cheese (It seems like literally everything comes with loads of cheese on it!). The refried beans were good and seemed to be about the only Mexican food I could find, despite being in Mexico. Truly, it was a disappointment. I was greatly looking forward to SOME authentic Mexican food and found none at this resort. I will say that they had carrots for breakfast one day that were really delicious. That combined with the omelet and beans, was about all I cared to eat. Coffee. I love coffee. And I like mine "con crema".. ;-) . They set a container of milk on the table for your coffee, but they will bring you cream upon request. However, if you drink several cups of coffee like we do, you'll be asking several times for the cream. The lunch buffets were awful. Period. Beware, there are dress codes for most of the restaurants for dinner. The second night, we ventured over to the neighboring hotel to have dinner at Marco Polo. They said no shorts and no sandals...and sent us to change before they would seat us.

The 2 restaurants that I would recommend for dinner would be:
1) Bogavante. This restaurant sits right on the beach and offers an a la carte menu based primarily on steak and seafood. The food was decent and the wait staff are truly great. Friendly, courteous, quick, etc.

2) Veneto. Good food and again, excellent wait staff. If you're so inclined, you can pay extra to order from a seperate menu and wine list. I was not so inclined, seeing as I'd already paid for and expected "all-inclusive".

Drinks:
-Top shelf upon request. Good selection if you know what to ask for. Friendly bartenders who aim to please. (Kudos to Alfredo in the lobby bar!). I like wine, but it goes without saying to really just stay away from it here. Go with tequila, rum and beer and you'll be just fine. With that said, the service at the pool and beach were intermittent at best. Most times we just went up to the bar to order our drinks. Oh! And pay attention to when they do the specialty drinks and flambeed coffee drinks near the lobby bars, because they were always good. One night I had a Mango Mojito that was just fabulous!

The Beach:
-If you've traveled to Florida or really any of the islands in the Caribbean, you will be disappointed in the beach. While there is nice, white sand...there isn't much of a beach. It's narrow. Also, the ocean here isn't for the novice swimmer this time of year. It's a steep drop off the beach and the rip tides and currents here are pretty scary. I had a very difficult time getting back to shore after venturing out into the ocean with my boyfriend. He is a strong swimmer though, and was out body surfing and having fun. Just use caution and pay attention to the beach flags. I wouldn't go in if the red flags are out (which they were for the duration of our stay).

The Pools:
-They appeared clean and had lots of cushioned seating both near the pool and on the beach. We ended up spending more time at the neighboring hotel and it's pool/sun bathing area, if that tells you anything. I only went in for one swim and it was quite cold, but no biggie. As you'd expect, it was also heavily chlorinated. The beach showers were always clogged with sand and other debris, so if you wanted to rinse off, you had to stand in a puddle of nastiness. It wasn't until the last day that we noted someone doing maintenance/cleaning and it finally drained. Not a huge deal, but it was pretty gross. Also, there are two large hot tubs at this resort, but they could not even be considered luke warm. Kind of a disappointment on a cool day.

Misc:
-Kayak and Hobie Cat rental out on the lagoon was a blast! Nice change from the crashing ocean waves. (To get there, cross the street and walk a bit north, then enter the "jungle" and walk down towards the water.)

-Internet costs $16/day and they offer it free for 4 hours on Wednesdays which happened to be the only day we went on a tour. For the price you pay, they should at least offer free wifi in the lobby!

-The hotel is very far south on the "island" of cancun. This could be good or bad, depending upon whether you'd like to go out shopping/eating elsewhere.

-Take the bus!!!! It's super easy and super cheap. I can't believe all of the people paying for taxis. However, bring pesos if you can because if you give them US dollars, you won't be getting change. It's only $1 per person each way, but if you pay in pesos it's even cheaper. $1 to go as far as you'd like. Do it. There are some good beaches and shopping to the north, only a short bus ride away.

- Just say "NO!" I don't know about you, but I'm going there for vacation. Not to be constantly bombarded with people trying to sell me things. Now, I get that it's all part of the deal there in some regard. But the hotel should have their timeshare deal seperate from their concierge and not hassle you. If you want to spend hours listening to them, by all means. But they are not giving you as good of a deal as they'd like you to think they are, and my time is more valuable than what I'd save by booking through them. Besides, I get really tired of saying "No gracias" all of the time. Just leave me alone and let me enjoy my relaxing vacation!

-The nickel and diming. It say's "All-inclusive", but as I've mentioned here, there are charges for things (If you lose you're towel cards, they'll charge you $30 per card. Make sure you get them back from the towel guy! Also, I think it's $70 for losing your room key?). And while I can certainly understand tipping for exceptional service, gratuity is supposed to be included. I just cannot understand how much tipping we witnessed. Either people are just being stupid, or we are jerks. We weren't carrying our wallets/money around to the beach and pool and we weren't tipping. Ugh. Can anyone explain this to me?! Truly frustrating...

Overall, it's a mediocre hotel with very uncomfortable beds, extremely thin walls and bad food. It's clean, the staff seem to work very hard and are very friendly. The Time Share nonsense gets really old really fast and had I known that this hotel was associated with one, I'd have booked elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a room on the south side of the hotel...It should be quieter.
4 Thank Ladyflyr3
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Please accept our most sincere apologies for all inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. We can assure you we always try to do our best, for that reason we care about your feedback.

We are glad that you enjoyed the room, regarding the mattress inconveniences please try to consider it depends on the different preference each person has; however we have foam mattress to give to the guest who feel uncomfortable with the bed.

We are deeply sorry about the perception regarding the food. Our kitchen staff and chefs work hard and do their best to try and meet your expectations, however we know there are always areas of opportunities and ways to improve the quality of the service.

Thank you for pointing out how wonderful was the service at the beach and pool. We are happy you enjoyed the Flambeed Coffee and Mango Mojito.

We have informed our General Manager about all the points you mentioned, your feedback help us focused on what we are doing right and what needs to be changed in order to provide our guests an impeccable vacation experience.

One again, accept our apologies for not meet your expectations during your stay.

Kind regards from Cancún to Denver, Colorado.
Hoteles Solaris de México.
Irvine, California
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great resort and all, but again, all resorts are great in Cancun. I hate that at the GR Caribe they nickel and dime you for everything, no free wifi, I ended up paying 50 US dollars for internet, even though they claim in their website WITH BIG LETTERS that it's free. Also 100 US dollars for round trip airport to hotel shuttle, to make local calls 1 US dollar a minute. Oh and don't loose or get your pool towel cards stolen from your own room, because that's $30 US dollars per towel card if you loose them. Our cards disappeared from our own room. If you must pay for anything at check out, they only take Mexican Pesos or US credit cards. I made a local call and had to pay 2 US dollars for the call and ended up paying additional 5 US dollars for a foreign transaction fee since I didn't have the 20 pesos. Also, don't fall in their trap and sign up for their Time Share discussion, the discounts they offer for the tours are worthless, believe me, they make it sound like you are getting the deal of the century, but is not true, they will go as far as offering 3 nights stay for free with 2 nights regular price for your next visit (in case you are wondering). But then again I cannot confirm that since I didn't take their offer. But for the tours I guarantee you can find a lot better tour deals somewhere else. Food is good, but there are some buffets that are really bad, stick to the seat down places, avoid buffets. It's about 20 minutes, roughly $16 to $30 US dollars by taxi from the downtown area (one way), taxi fares vary depending on the time of the day. The staff is great, but after all the nickeling and diming you, unfortunately the hard working staff might not get properly compensated. Even though they say gratuity is included in your package, I ended up giving tip to most of helpful staff, except the one cleaning my room, somehow my towel cards ended up missing. They do have 24 hour room service, which was really nice. Drinks, most soft beverages are available, beers: only dos XX and Sol, hard alcohol: not a vast selection and the mix drinks are very weak. Overall location: excellent, very clean private beach. If these guys were upfront about all the miscellaneous charges it would be better though imo. I heard 2 other groups complaining when I was checking out about the no-free internet deal, so be aware. The rooms are connected and the doors separating the rooms are very thin or have large gaps, because I could hear all of our neighbor's conversations and even their sex sessions.

Room Tip: Top floors give you better views, however, lower floor rooms have instant access to the beach. I st...
1 Thank John A
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay at our resort. We value your opinion seriously, therefore we can improve our guest service. We have already informed our General Manager so he took actions and made some changes to meet the guest's expectation.

We are concerned about your comment regarding internet. If you tell us on which website saw "Internet is free" we could change it. We offer just 3 free hours of wireless access on Wendsday. Apologies for the misunderstandings.

On regarding dollars change, is because of the government regulations in Mexico. It is recommended that all travelers bring Mexican pesos as well as their credit and/or debit cards to minimize any inconvenience the exchange at banks may cause. This is how it works in the most of the countries.

We offer roundtrip airport shuttle with extra charge but the price you mentioned is not correct.

Please accept our apologies once more for not meet your expectations during your stay, we'll make the proper adjustments and pay attention on those points.

Royal Solaris Cancun.
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Five of us spent our collective time on the beach, where the pool bar staff (Gabriel, Vero, Manuel, Abraham and especially Angel) were very attentive. Angel had beach serving duties and we were never without a drink in hand if we so desired. Everyon was kind and helpful. Our accomodations exceeded expectations and there was plenty of variety in bar and food options at the mulitple restaurants and round the clock room service proved helpful too. Hotel offered plenty of lawn chairs during our stay and we never had to fight for a spot on the beach. If I were coming back to Cancun in the future I would look at staying at the GR Carive Solaris again.

Room Tip: There are few rooms with your own private balcony, get one of these if you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Heidi M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We booked this vacation totally last minute (as in two days before we were to leave), so we didn't do much research besides checking out the reviews on tripadvisor. Now that we're back from our five day vacation, I'd say that it's pretty accurate.

The good:
1. GREAT rooms. Very well decorated and maintained. We had a partial ocean view and it was the perfect size and feel for our trip. The bed was firm, so if you like that, this is your place. Oh, and cleaning staff got really creative with our bed and towel decorations. Such an awesome touch.
2. The drinks were ample and strong. Enough said.
3. The pool was clean and the seating around it was extra comfy. We also loved that you could use the next door facilities larger pool (though the seating is nowhere near as nice).
4. The beach was relatively clean and seating was pretty ample as long as you got out there by 11am.
5. Dinner and breakfast were good. We especially enjoyed the restaurant overlooking the ocean. Service at the restaurants were the best.

The Mixed:
1. Staff was so-so. I cannot believe that people left knowing the staff's names. Besides knowing that our room maid was named Alberta, I cannot tell you anyone's names. We were extra friendly, but rarely enjoyed enough attention to get to know the service.
2. Drink service at the pools was spotty. They always seemed to overlook us. No idea why. Again, we were super friendly and thankful whenever anyone got around to us.
3. Mini bar was only stocked with beer. Could it hurt to get some wine coolers or some mini bottles of tequilla or rum?
4. Room walls were thin. One night, we slept next to a crying baby and it was the WORST.

The Bad:
1. Lunch, snacks, and room service featured food that was totally nasty. The quality of food was HORRIBLE. Seriously. BAD.
2. Front desk was mixed but more so bad. One guy was totally stoned as we asked him a simple question about the pool. And then we had to wait 20 minutes to change over money. Not good. But then again, one time we were up there to ask a question and the couple checking in got the best service ever. They were handed drinks, given maps, and the guy answering them was fabulous. Maybe we just kept running in to the stoned guy.
3. Hot tubs. Oh the "hot tubs." For one, they were never hot. They were about the same temp as the pool (which was freezing for when we stayed). And then there were the kids. The last thing in the world I want to do is sit in a hot tub with a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds running and splashing in it. And then there were the parents who thought it was a great idea to put their infants (in disposable swim diapers...ew!) in a hot tub with them. Nasty. Of course there are signs everywhere that say "no children allowed" but no one ever enforced it. Several times we were enjoying the "cold tub" to only have to leave because kids were splashing and running everywhere. Yeah, no thanks. Get it together GR Caribe. Enforce this.
4. Learn how to make scrambled eggs, please. Not a huge complaint, but asking for a scrambled egg got me sunny side up, an omelet, over easy, and runny messes.
5. We had a broken toilet that never got fixed. We just ended up flushing three of or four extra times.
6. Some people got more than one towel (and not just the club members). Those people were generally super attractive 20 year old females. When we asked for one extra, we were barked at. Yikes.

Would we recommend this place? Yes! Overall, we had a great time for what it was. But we would caution anyone that there are better places out there, and if they are looking for a romantic getaway, they should avoid this place.

Room Tip: Ocean view was great! Totally worth it. Do not get a room on the ground floor where it is loud.
4 Thank fitnpoor
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I booked this property for the last week of the year which covered New Years.
My expectations were not that high. I was very wrong. This place overall was much nicer than the Royal Islander where we stayed last year. The staff could not do enough to make sure you were happy. The room was smaller but nice ( I don't know about you but I don't go on vacation to stay in the room).
The food from the enormous buffet or the restaurants was real good and the service was excellent.
They had a spectacular New Years party on the beach with a band that played for 4 hrs straight.
My wife and I had a great time.
Book your tours with their local tour guy Antonio at the pool . He was very very helpful. You will not save $ by going somewhere else.
The beach was great and so was the pool.
I like to drink and don't like watered down drinks.....the drinks Were Not Watered Down and all bartenders were great.
They have a show each night in the lobby area. Saxophone player one night, trumpet player one night, mariachi another. Very nice stuff I enjoyed it.
Best of all no one tried to kidnap me at the pool. :) Gimme a break. Work on your grammar.
I am a firm believer you get what you pay for and I felt like we got way more than we paid for
And had a great time . We will be there next New Years.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Clarkster1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed late Nov to early Dec. nice time had by whole family. Food was good, but we felt some of the restaurants "too gourmet" for us, but plenty of other options. Enjoyed dining at both restaurants overlooking ocean-1 at caribe other at royal. Heated pool nice for winter. Took advantage of free paddle boats. Loved flaming coffee in lobby about 4:00 each day. Room smelled musty, but otherwise very nice. Beach is great.

• Stayed November 2013