“Great Time - would go back”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #26 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I researched extensively before finally booking a room at the GR Caribe. We didn't have a ton of money so we had to budget wisely. However, we also didn't want to stay at some crap-hole. So after careful research and reading all of the reviews, this was the hotel we ended up on. We weren't disappointed.

Checked in early at 1pm, had no problem with that. Ended up with two full-size beds in the room, just fine. A full bed fits two just fine. Offered us drinks immediatly when we got there. A wonderful lady explained to use where to go and what to do, extremely helpful. Went up the elevator and into our room. Nicely sized and a partial view of the ocean. It was wonderful. People who complain about the room should shut it because if you're spending that much time in your room, go home, it's cheaper. People also complained about the stairs? Excuse me? This is a hotel, there are floors, with stairs. People also complained about wet floors? Yes, you're on the beach and there is a pool, floors will get wet. Many of these complaints are nitpicky. The food wasn't good? I'm not sure what you were expecting... 1. this is not a $1000/per night hotel, 2. The food is actually very good. Buffet is just fine, and the restaraunts were amazing. Great service and leagues better than any Applebees or Chili's around in the US. People also complained about the serving size... They were perfect, if you weren't an obese American. We expect to stuff our faces. These portion sizes were perfect. The soup was amazing.

The service is amazing. Tip them here and there and you will always have a drink. They are extremely polite and just want you to have a good time. They are funny, charming, and very hard working.

The beach is amazing. The shower water was always warm, we always had bottled water, always had food, anything we wanted we had.

If you're looking for a more quiet resort, this is the one. We didn't want to have to deal with the spring break crowd, but also wanted to socialize and "party" a bit if we wanted to. This was, at the Caribe, we could avoid all of this, but wander over to the Royal if we wanted and party it up a bit, but retire back to our room if we got tired.

My only complaint is that we didn't stay long enough. And for me personally, I am a beer drinker - I suppose Mexico isn't known for it's beer, so I found Dos Equis a little tiring. But when I did taste my girlfriends drink, they were strong and tasty.

Literally 15 minutes from the airport was a wonderful perk. Always had fresh towels and room keeping was on top of it.

Overall, a tremendous experience.

Room Tip: If you ask, typically you will receive. Top floor is probably the quietest.
3  Thank Slapadabassman
There are newer reviews for GR Caribe by Solaris

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our family stayed here for a week from 2/17 to 2/24. We enjoyed everything about the hotel. We have kids, ages 9 and 11 and this resort was all about family. Food was good and there were plenty of places to pick from for dinner with the sister hotel right next door. The entertainment staff was awesome. They held activities at the pool at the Royal Solaris each day and they were adult/kid friendly. The shows that we went to at night at the Royal Solaris were great too. The entertainment staff works hard to make your stay fun. The rooms were cleaned impeccably everyday. All the staff was very helpful and friendly. We had a room on the ground floor close to the pool with an ocean view and a courtyard as we came out our door. My husband and I sat there every night before bed and just enjoyed the serenity and beauty.

Our only complaint was with Lomas travel. It was a minor issue but a major inconvenience. We signed up for an excursion to Xel-ha and were told what time to be out at our hotel. We were there but Lomas went to the Royal Solaris next door to pick us up so we had to run from the Caribe to the Solaris (my husband had went over there after the van was late to pick us up). This happened again for our trip back to the airport to return home. Each time we were assured we would be picked up at the Caribe only to find out our ride was waiting for us at the Royal Solaris. So, if you book through Funjet and use their sister travel group in Mexico, Lomas, make sure you tell them over and over that you are at the Caribe, but be prepared to run to the Royal Solaris to catch your rides anyway. We would definitely return to the Caribe again as it was beautiful, relaxing and just what we wanted for this vacation.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous 2 week all-inclusive vacation at the GR Caribe. The Gr Caribe is the oldest of the clubsolaris locations. It is a quiet private resort that has recently been remodeled. the old world Morrocan style architecture is simple yet pleasing. The character of the rooms give you that "out of country" feeling (for us the USA), and are very clean, comfortable, and has all the conveniences and amenities you would fine at many 5 star hotels. We are not big fans of buffet style dining, Although this is offered, we had excellent breakfasts and dinners ala carte at the five on site available restaurants. All of the staff are friendly and can't do enough to please you. We are members of clubsolaris and have been winter vacationing here for 12 plus years and have never been disapointed.

Room Tip: Ocean Front with balcony, Room #'s 2200 series (lobby level) very convenient or 2300 series ( o...
1  Thank BobBucko
Reviewed March 17, 2013

ddn was our travelling companion on this Cancun vacation and stayed in the adjoining room to our room.
I was totally shocked when I read ddn’s Trip Advisor rating/comments on the GR Caribe by Solaris and therefore felt obliged to join Trip Advisor and send my first review... a strong rebuttal of ddn’s review!
Please note, ddn’s comments are written first, followed by my rebuttal comments. I have stayed at the GR Caribe many times over the past 15 years and I believe that Trip Advisor’s overall rating for the GR Caribe at 4/5 is accurate. In my opinion, ddn’s rating is far too low and many of the comments are simply incorrect.

ddn - We are staying here now. It's too far from anything.
rebuttal - Not sure what “anything” means, but it is only 10 minutes by bus to the two main shopping malls. The fare is only 9 pesos and the bus is direct every few minutes from the hotel to the malls.

ddn - It will cost you over 120 US pp per day for the all inclusive. There is no a la carte .
rebuttal - The all-inclusive fee for this time period is $90 US per person, not $120 US. You can order a la carte in some of the hotel restaurants, not all are buffets.

ddn - The kitchenette is miniscule. No large knife of any kind, no toaster. there wasn't even glasses in the unit. Mini fridge and microwave and that's it.
rebuttal - I found the kitchenette quite adequate. You need to ask for large knives, toasters and extra glasses if you require these items and they will provide them promptly, at no cost.

ddn - We travel often and find this place much more expensive for what you get. You can eat very well much cheaper.
rebuttal - I find that where you travel is more relevant than how often you travel, when rating hotels. The Cancun/Mayan Riviera is generally known as a “high-end” resort area and the dining is generally more expensive than many other Mexican destinations. Nonetheless, hotel guests can shop at the local markets and eat in their kitchenettes if they wish to save on dining out. You must request a room with a kitchenette if you wish to prepare your own meals, however all rooms have fridges stocked daily with beer, soft drinks and water, at no cost.

ddn - The buffets here are so so. The roast beef gets slice from a large piece then it is over cooked on a grill at the buffet usually only 1 hot veggie and that is always zucchini with tomatoes. Breakfast buffet is somewhat better just don't have waffles or French toast. The desserts look good but have not much taste. The coconut ice cream is the best dessert.
rebuttal - I found the buffets very good and the selection excellent with a variety of cuisines (Mexican, international and even good old American burgers and fries!). I am used to North American style roast beef and their roast beef is cooked differently and not as tender, however I do not come here for the roast beef. There are far more than “1 hot veggie”, including carrots, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, corn, onions, etc. I found the breakfasts excellent and you may request freshly made waffles, French toast and any type of eggs (I saw one fellow order 6 egg whites in an omelet). Not sure what “not much taste” means, but I found most desserts delightful and varied in “taste”. I agree, the coconut ice cream is exceptional!

ddn - Beds are comfy. Noise travels at night here. It seams to echo. We have been here 10 nights and we hear those coming back from the night clubs. The exterior halls all resonate the sound.
rebuttal - I agree, “beds are comfy” and daily maid service is a bonus! Most RCI resorts don’t have this service at no cost. I agree, some of the rooms tend to be noisy, particularly if you visit at this time of year (spring break), however, this problem is the same at virtually all Cancun hotels during the university/college break. The characteristic Mexican/Spanish architecture of the GR Caribe is unique and beautiful, but an abundance of tile, brick, rock and plaster does create an echoing effect in parts of the hotel. Ear plugs are recommended for light sleepers if you are planning to visit during the spring break.

ddn - Staff is very good.
rebuttal - I agree, staff are “very good” and the service in the restaurants, bars, reception area and the entire hotel is exceptional.

ddn - The beach is good too. The evening shows are Also very good. The pool at this section fills up quickly,so come early or you won't get a chair. The other pool and beach has chairs but not ones with padding and do not stay adjusted. They always snap back.
rebuttal - The Cancun beach is better than “good” and that is why most travelers come to the Cancun/Mayan Riviera. The beaches here are truly spectacular! Our room has a patio and a Caribbean Ocean view. If you like the Caribbean Ocean, request an ocean view room, rather than a lagoon view room, as there is a difference.

ddn - Restaurant suggestion try the Blue Gecko about 4 to 5 bus stops away. Great food and cheap but just a little bar. La Isla mall also has many good restaurants much better and cheaper.
rebuttal - I have never been to the Blue Gecko, so I cannot comment. Some of the mall restaurants do have “great food”, but not all are “cheap”. Dining at “cheap” restaurants can be risky and your digestive tract may regret it!

Room Tip: Ocean view (not lagoon) with patio, not main floor (2nd floor and up).
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RMM16
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This resort was our fifth all-inclusive in Mexico, and it ranks five out of five on our list. It was a completely average resort, but lots of little problems add up to barely a three star.

I knew we weren’t getting a five star location, despite the over-inflated rating of this resort on Trip Advisor, but we selected this hotel for its super close location to the airport (since we had a 6am flight home) and its affordable rates during spring break week. It is on the south end of the strip, and the ride to the airport was a mere 12 minutes ($28 for two one way by taxi). The hotel did coordinate transportation there for us through their ‘on-site’ travel agency for just $9 pp each way (however, they don’t accommodate the return if the flight leaves before 10am!).

Don’t expect an early check in; they are sticklers with the 3pm time, so just pack your swimming suit. The pool is … small. The chairs do have padded cushions, whereas the pool at Royal does not. The Royal had spring-breakers doing beer bongs and taking shots at the pool bar at 10am, whereas the GR Caribe is much calmer. GR pool boys are on it though! The hot tubs are only warm, which on most days is great, but when it is cooler and raining, a true hot tub would be great. Sadly it did rain on one day, and the surfaces were SLICK. There are also steps all over the place; I don’t mind stairs but I can only imagine how many have fallen here. Not great for young kids or seniors for sure. Seriously, if you struggle with vision or balance, do not stay here! You don't want to ruin your vacation with a fall.

We were literally steps away from the pool or beach, so the access is great. They have little palapas and chairs on the beach. It was super windy with strong waves when we were there, but lots were enjoying the water. Pool servers also come to beach.

The room was exactly as pictured, with the white walls and bedspread with red/brown Moroccan accents. I thought the bed was ok, but my husband said it was terribly uncomfortable for him. We had a mini-fridge stocked with four Sol beers, water, and a few sodas. The bathroom was rather dark, with the lights dimming every 15 seconds or so. The shower was ridiculously designed, with a glass built in door covering exactly the front half of the shower – meaning we soaked the floor and had to use several towels to mop up after each shower. The room reeked of mold, so badly that it affected the sinuses and quality of sleep. Not having a balcony is the norm at this hotel and a little weird. Our room was on ground floor and was ocean view, with the putt-putt range just in front of it too - weird to see people walking by.

The room was clean, the towel animals were cute, and there was occasionally evening turn-down service with peppermint patties. The maid taking care of our room immediately had a lightbulb changed when I wrote a note and she always left extra towels for the shower issue.

As many noted, a true perk of this place compared to its sister and neighbor Royal Solaris is that you have twice the restaurant options. The food options would have really sucked if we didn’t have more choices…not that more mediocre options is all that better, but still.

Here are the options for each meal:

Breakfast – buffet at GR Caribe or Las Fuentes (next door). We preferred Las Fuentes because of the ‘hot cakes.’

Lunch – Bogavante and Balance sit-down order from menu (GR), café Solaris pool fried foods (serve yourself), fried food serve-yourself at Royal pool, or Rosmarinus lunch buffet at Royal. This place is NOT healthy at all. I liked the Rosmarinus buffet because of soup and an attempt to consume a vegetable with the salad bar. Vegetables at this resort that aren’t on a salad bar either don’t exist or are doused in butter.

Dinner – our favorite was probably Veneto in this hotel. The menus rotate and we basically sought out places that weren’t serving the ‘international’ or fusion and French menu. Several nights, one of the three places at Royal were closed to a huge group of Russians, so that limited our options further. The buffet at Las Fuentes, while great at breakfast, is awful for dinner and I should have known that. Didn’t have Rosmarinus for dinner, and Marco Polo was ok (but very dark). Hard to like the atmosphere at Bogavante with the hospital-cafeteria style dessert cooler rotating. Speaking of desserts, they are awful – not one thing was good, unless you scooped your own ice cream. Every cake was soaked and soggy, and the whipped cream on top was gross.

Drinks: ugh. Sparkling wine is not included by the way. And it depends who you ask if Crown Royal is. Usually we could get it at GR, but never at Royal. The wine glasses at the restaurants were pathetic and barely held a shot of wine, but the lobby bar has nice larger ones. I stuck with wine because the drinks were absolutely disgusting; I tried margarita on the rocks, frozen margarita, strawberry daiquiri, and a pina colada. They all tasted of heavily-poured cheap alcohol – no watered down drinks, but not drinkable either! Stick with Dos Equis beer or wine.

Sad to say this was our worst resort. I wish I would have spent a little more to get a lot more.

2  Thank lovessmalltowns
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great time..the sevice was exceptional! The room we had was a little close to the lobby. One night the noise level was somewhat high,but ended by 11:00.
Location to airport very good.
Would consider returning there!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Per other's reviews, our initial check in wasn't too pleasant. The first several rooms we were shown, per our package, were sub par-one right next to all of the very noisy air conditioning units with a "lagoon" view, the next with a "partial view" of the ocean, but the noise from the main lobby-bouncing off of the walls, as well as having 2 double beds(they moved them together, but still the bedding was messed up) wasn't too great.
We ended up having to upgrade for 30$/night, the next night, to an ocean view.
The food wasn't all that great either. The presentation in the restaraunt, Venneto, was lovely, but the taste was mediocre at best.
The staff were really great, and that made it all very nice-we were supposed to be able to use another Solaris property a few blocks down the road-much newer and nicer, but we weren't allowed to use the facility once we got there.
Because we stayed at the "upscale" property, we were able to get premium alcohol, the connecting resort didn't have any premium, so you had to bring your drink over.
Also, the rooms were very dated, supposedly, some of the resort has been updated, but overall, it is dated.

Room Tip: If you can just upgrade from the minute you show up at the counter, it will save you alot of time an...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nancy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#48 of 176 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#75 of 176 in Cancun

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!