“This place is awesome....”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #26 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed for 7 days beginning jan 26,and dont regret our decision. The room was perfect,romantic,clean,and had a balcony to die for. Pool,hot tub,bars,and food were all perfect. Ignore any negative review, i was skeptical myself,but the staff at this hotel changed all my doubts. The free Wifi worked in our room.couldntask for a better vacation....Rocky-n-Beefy

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank rocky-n-beefy
There are newer reviews for GR Caribe by Solaris

Reviewed February 22, 2013

my husband and i stayed at the GR Caribe, and were pleasantly surprised, service was excellent staff were super friendly and helpful, the room was beatiful. i was beyond our expectations we stayedin room 2558 it had anamazing ocean view, and we also had access to the other solaris hotel in which we attended pool activities and entertainment at night...overaull our experience was amazing we had a wonderful valentines week and we recommend this 100 %

2  Thank 1katb
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel is simply awful. The food was absolutely indelible- it was as if they had certain ingredients around and just used them for food whether they went together of not! I had a "freshly made" pancake that tasted old and stale-- how do you even do that??? I'm not a picky eater at all. We had to eat elsewhere for the majority of our week trip. I can't even begin to describe the gross food there!!

We paid for an oceanfront room, but got one facing the street-- that was a first for us in Cancun!! All of the members of the timeshare get ALL the best rooms & there are only 8 rooms with balconies!!

It has so many things wrong, I can't possibly list them all. Please think before you book this one! There are soooooooo many nicer hotels in Cancun- don't stay here!! It was the first time in 8 years visiting Mexico that I couldn't wait to leave and go home-- my husband couldn't believe it!!

The only thing this pace has going for it is the staff. We loved Adriana at the timeshare group. The sweet girl at the inside bar-- Gabriella (?) was too nice!! The waiters at the pool were great, too!

If you want to get out of the timeshare torture, just say that you only have a debit card-- no credit card. They won't take a debit- thankfully! They have to get people when they first arrive, otherwise there's NO WAY that any sane person would buy one here. They couldn't give me one!

One last thing, the beds are like rocks. They did offer premium liquor, which did help take the sting out of this place- until that wore off!

Room Tip: You won't get a good room here unless you are a member of the vacation club!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference, please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us.

Please be informed that Our Chef supervises the dishes periodically in all the restaurants; and we strive daily to keep our high standard of food, rest assured we will look closely into this situation and make the proper adjustments where necessary.

Regarding the room assigned ; it's very important you contact us to verify the reason you didn't get an oceanfront room if you paid for it.

Warm regards.
Hoteles Solaris de Mexico
info@hotelessolaris.com
A^

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My bf and I stayed at the gr caribe by Solaris the week of Feb 11. It's a beautiful hotel, the staff does a wonderful job of keeping everything clean and in tip top shape! It's not as huge/sprawling/grande as other AI's we've aerated in but it was beautiful and had charm. We were not pressured whatsoever about the sales pitch, this could be since we're both 23/ not married lol. We had a basic room, req king bed and ended up w the two queens... Which was fine with me, I like my own space when sleeping :) but they did push the beds together making it almost one huge bed. Rooms are modern, flat screen on wall, nice size safe, the 'make your own code' kind, and a good size bathroom and sitting area. We mentioned when checking in to the girl assisting us that we would like ocean view or close to it without upgrading.... We got room 2560 I believe.... It's on corner edge of hotel so we had amazing ocean views at a great price :) food was good, not amazing but always something satisfying. Neither of us had stomach issues, and I have encountered issues in the past at other resorts. We ended up at the pool area at the Solaris side, it was more lively than listening to loud afternoon bingo being read off at the gr. I got dragged into the 'ms Solaris' competition, unfortunalty my bf got video evidence of that one! All good clean fun, always something entertaining going on. All in all good time! Would we return? Yes, but I'm too curious about all the resorts down there to stick to the same one more than once! Also wifi is in Lobby strongest, it was patchy throughout. Sometimes got it in room, my iMessage was very temperamental with it. Got decent signal by pool in Solaris side.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Kaitlyn B
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at the GR Caribe, along with 5 friends. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this resort. The beach is gorgeous, with the expected beautiful aqua blue waters; however, the water was too rough for swimming! The (heated) pool made up for that, and was very nice. We never had a problem getting chairs and the wait staff was great.There are two large hot tubs. The water was not has "hot" as I would have liked. One day they made sushi at the pool, and it was surprisingly good. Another day they served ice cream with champagne. Antonio, the pool concierge (?), was extremely helpful and accompanied us to the bay side to kayak.

The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We had a great ocean view; however, next trip I'll ask for a balcony.

The food was very good for the most part--4 to 5 course meals for lunch and dinner and great breakfast buffets. There were several meal choices. I preferred the fish entrees over the others. Drinks were also good. We traveled with members and were able to order top shelf liquors and bottles of wine for dinner. I really enjoyed the "fire" coffee drinks, served every evening in the lobby.

We were able to use the facilities at the Royal Solaris, next door (actually connected by a breezeway, and only a very short walk from the GR Caribe). Marco Polo was my favorite restaurant, but the others were great too.

Staff was readily accessible and very friendly. Jorge Espindola, with Premier Services, was especially helpful, and frequently told us he "loved his job!' And, you could tell he REALLY did!

I was able to enjoy a massage at the spa at the Royal Solaris. The spa, which featured a steam room and jacuzzi, was very nice. Ana, my massage therapist, was wonderful.

I'm looking forward to my next visit with my husband, and future visits with friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lpowerz
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just returned to Canada from 2 weeks at the GR Caribe. The service was excellent at the hotel and people were very friendly. This resort is more laid back and quieter than the sister property next door- Royal Solaris. We liked the room, the pool staff and the food. Best restaurants were the specialty ones at both resorts. The MC at the evening shows displayed a negative attitude toward english-speaking guests. The rest of his troupe were very good. Our customer service representative, Jorge Espindola was very helpful and accomodating. Special mention goes out to Fernando, Darwin, Lizebeth, and Tonio at the Caribe. Rooms were always clean and tidy with the maids fixing towel figures every day. Don't forget to tip the staff as they do a great job.The buffet at Royal Solaris is very noisy, crowded, and just so so. The omlette lady(maricela) at Cafe Solaris was very good-she always had a lineup. As usual, the early birds got the best lounges at the pool. Good beach area below the resort but very windy.

Room Tip: ocean view higher up rooms are a bonus
1  Thank 339Georgev3
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just got back from staying at the GR Caribe Solaris Cancun. We traveled as a group of 6 adults for a long weekend (Thurs-Sun). The rooms were nice and clean. The pool was nice as well, though the "hot" tubs were missing half the water and were arguably colder than the pool. We were under the impression that we would have wifi in the lobby - but the free wifi ended on 2/15 (the middle of our stay) and we almost had to pay to use it on our last day. I give the overall experience a 2-3/5 and would not stay again. The food was terrible. No one in our party got sick from the food or the water, but it did not taste good. Also, annoying is the dress code. My boyfriend was asked to put pants on (instead of nice plaid shorts) before dinning at Venetto and Marco Polo, though there were people dining with sports Jerseys and ball caps on.

Restaurants that we tried:
Breakfast Buffet - best food at the resort. Make your own omlets, waffles, pastries, etc.
Snack Bar - Questionable food, convenient. We ate our weight in curly fries
Bogavante - The shrimp with salad was good and so were the soups. The fish entrees were gross and the deserts even worse.
Venetto - salads were okay, soups okay, steak was really bad, chocolate cake desert was good.
Marco Polo - Worst food of the trip. Shrimp and salad was the best part, the beef soup was okay, the Beef entree was TERRIBLE and the "peanut butter fondue was" a gelatin beige blob - that was practically inedible.

The staff was very nice and helpful and made sure you were never without a drink, the drinks were good (if you figured out the good bar tenders), the grounds were nice and the beach was beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank KBTraveler_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#47 of 176 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#75 of 176 in Cancun

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!