“Food was the biggest problem”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #26 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I was traveling with my husband and six-year-old twin boys, to give you some idea of my needs.

We got the so-called “villa”—two adjoining rooms. I have little complaint about the rooms. They were a decent size, with lots of counter space and room to store things. There was an in-room safe and a small kitchenette in the main bedroom. Our room had an ocean view balcony with a lovely view.

As others have mentioned, the beds were hard. The only other issue was that one of the bedrooms had a moldy smell. The air is so humid, I’m sure that’s hard to avoid. They did try to keep the air conditioning cranked (too cranked for me).

I didn’t really like the layout of the place. To get to some of the restaurants and “noisy” pool, you had to take a rather long and unscenic walk with lots of stairs, turns, and ramps. I wouldn’t have minded this walk if it had been prettier or better planned out.

And that brings us to the restaurants. Unfortunately, the food was really pretty dismal. I just didn’t care for it. For example, I suspect that the eggs they used for the scrambled eggs were some kind of instant product, rather than real eggs. Every now and then I got a disgusting mouthful of a moldy taste and had to spit out my food. There was some Mexican and some other food, and I didn’t really like any of it (normally I like Mexican food). It was a lot of grayish stews. My kids ended up eating cheeseburgers at every meal except breakfast.

The best restaurant was called Bogavante. We ate there on “grill night” and that was by far the best meal we ate.

I’ve never stayed at an all-inclusive before, but obviously, if the food isn’t good, you’ve got a problem!

Also, I tried calling room service early one day because we were leaving for a very early trip. I was really disappointed that the only things we could get were sandwiches and soups; not something my kids would eat and not what I want to eat for breakfast. They couldn’t/wouldn’t even give us a selection of pastries. We didn’t order room service even once because the menu was so blah.

The staff was extremely nice; everyone I interacted with was helpful and friendly. One exception actually; there was one woman in the smaller gift shop who was obviously annoyed by my questions.

We stupidly agreed to get “the talk” about the timeshares, which really took a long time and was boring. There was a lot of pressure to get the talk. Because of the quality of the food, no amount of money, no matter how small, would be worth going there once a year. If the food had been good, the “25th anniversary promotion” that they were offering might have been worth considering. But probably not. I doubt I’d ever decide to get locked into something.

Another review had referred to some kind of extras or gifts that you would get for undergoing this talk, but all we got were coupons for 50% off massages.

This hotel could use more maintenance. Some of the outside features need to be painted, fixed, whatever. It is at the far end of Hotel Row; perhaps that doesn’t matter much. It’s not within walking distance of anything, but clearly you’d pay much more to stay at some of the breathtaking hotels we passed on our busride into town.

One more thing; not about the hotel particularly, but in general, here is a warning: at one point we got scammed. We were on the bus for a tour of Tulum (Mayan ruins) and the tour guide said “Oh, there are going to be a lot of mosquitoes today.” The bus driver nodded in agreement. The tour guide went on an on about these yellow mosquitoes that some people are allergic to. You can swell up if they bite you. Then she told us that if we decided to buy mosquito repellent, we should only get it from one particular shop; the people outside the shop selling it were selling half-empty cans. So like fools we all trooped into this store and paid an exorbitant price for the bug spray. Then, during the whole tour, I didn’t see one mosquito. And I’m the person who mosquitoes love more than anything in the world. If there had been ANY, I would have known it. So be careful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Franxious
Solaris H, Community Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear Guest:

We regret you found some inconveniences during your stay with us; all your comments are valuable and help us to improve.

Please be informed that Our Chef supervises the dishes periodically in all the restaurants; and we strive daily to keep our high standard of food, rest assured we will look closely into this situation and make the proper adjustments where necessary.

Regarding timeshares comments, we will take corrective measures in this regard to prevent our guests feel pressured.

We really work hard to give our guest the best service.

HOTELES SOLARIS DE MEXICO

There are newer reviews for GR Caribe by Solaris

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Just returned from 6 days 5 nights at the GR Caribe Deluxe. We had a wonderful time. The room was great and we were lucky enough to have not only a Lagoon View from the rear patio but an ocean view from the front door of our room.
I can't say enough about the wait staff at this hotel. The waiters in the restaurants are top notch and very attentive. The the waitress that brought drinks to the beach was right on top of things and keeping them coming. Everyone was just so pleasing. The housekeeping staff was very good. They would leave mints and an animal made from a washcloth everynight for turn dowm service.
My only complaint would be the push to buy into the vacation club. As soon as you arrive, they push to set up a breakfast meeting with you the very next day, saying it would only take 1 1/2 hours and they would give deep discounts on excursions. Our breakfast meeting lasted more than 3 hours and they didn't want to take no for an answer. Finally my companion just had to be rude to excuse us from this "meeting". So we walked away feeling like we wasted a 1/2 a day with the push to buy.

Room Tip: We had a room with a king bed. And an ocean and lagoon view. It was lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Shannon P
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My Fiancé and I decided on a last minute getaway and I am so glad that we did. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The pool area is amazing and the lounge chairs are by far the most comfortable I have experienced. The food was always good and plentiful. The rooms are very nice and always clean. The beach is beautiful and not over crowded. I have no complaints about this resort what so ever. I would recommend this resort to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Shan-n-Mike
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Let me start with our check-in, I went with family of 8 people and booked three rooms with them. I called them before arriving there that I needed 2 rooms with king size bed (one with crib)  and one room with double beds but I would like the rooms in the same floor. As soon as I checked in they said they had no king size beds, and the rooms were scattered in all different buildings but we literally stood there and argued for one hour and guess what? They finally did ended up giving everything we wanted, I guess they just wanted to waste your time by saying NO NO No! Finally we went to room and it was very nice, no complain until my husband was ironing and I was blow drying my hair the first night and the electricity went off. Are you kidding me? I vacation a lot and this is not acceptable at all if you call your resort a 4 star. The refrigerator seems to be working whenever they wanted it to work and this was horrible for me because I couldn't store any breast milk or any baby food. The second night i had a security guard come in to my room and said, " talk low", we asked why and he said the room next to us is complaining because we are being too loud. Then i realized the walls are sooo thin that if my baby cried, it annoyed them, thank god they left the following day because i was ready to leave the hotel. First of all there is no night life and second of all i have to stay mute in my own room? More like jail time then vacation. There is only 2 a la carte restaurant but only for night, but for breakfast you have only one option (buffet) and lunch one option (a la carte).I have to admit to one thing though, the food in bogavante and veneto is Fantastic but if you stay there for 7 days it gets boring after the 4th day even though they say they change their menu everyday. Yes it's true you can use the royal solaris facilities including the restaurants but honestly the only good place there is Marco Polo ( dinner only) and las fuentas only for breakfast. By the way the breakfast buffet in Gr Caribe is HORRIBLE and food is very limited. At night the entertainment team works really hard to perform the shows every night and I think they are amazing! The employees are wonderful, hardworking and never expect anything but I always tipped them because they are just so GREAT!!! They definitely need to improve their menu in food because what if your a vegetarian? Or can't eat pork? Or can't eat beef? One major thing lacking in this resort is that, there is noo night life at all. I actually ended up sleeping everyday at 11 meanwhile I sleep at 4-5 in the morning in NYC! There is only one pool and two jacuzzis with warm water and very weak water pressures. Now let's talk about drinks, it is definitely watered down and how can you not have coconut or any of the tropical drinks? I found that very silly. They have very limited virgin drinks ( went with 4 children) and now I think my children will never have piña colada, or daiquiris in years. I did end up going to coco bongo, it's a must see entertainment but I can guarantee it will be your first and last visit. You won't even have the chance to take one step in there because these money hungry people will jam 5,000 people in a place where the max occupancy is 700, so god forbid there's a fire you will be toasted. (by the way I went on a Tuesday night and there busy nights are Friday-Sunday so god bless you if you decide to go during those days) I believe you might enjoy coco bongo if you take the VIP service but make sure you bring a lot of cash for that because entrance fee is $55 per person. Chichen Itza was amazing but the buffet restaurant the take you to is horrible. I can relate to many of the past reviews and I can put my money down that after your visit in this hotel you will feel the exact same way I felt here. At most it's a 3 stars hotel and if you in low budget go for this place, but if your looking for a nice time try moon palace, or any of the Rius'.

Please take my words and don't believe those excellent reviews about this hotel because those are fake. It's just a very old hotel re-painted and they did a very good job with it!

Room Tip: Don't take No for an answer, fight for your rights.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Sumibegum
Reviewed July 16, 2011

For the most part the Hotel was clean overall, it offered no fitness center of it's own so I found myself using the one at the GR Solaris. Fitness center had a polite staff but equipment was of poor quality but got me through the week. Our initial greeter at the Front Desk was a touch arrogant but my contact was limited with him and I wrote it off to him having a bad day or two, as both encounters by no means were pleasant. Food was average, not bad but nothing to enspire the taste buds, expected much better food selection and taste. Entertainment, well once again, nothing to speak of... Attempted to watch one show at the theatre in the GR Solaris only to find myself walking out after 5 minutes. In comparison to the Royal in Playa De Carma, there is none.. The GR Caribe lives up to a 3 star at best. Next I will find myself at the Royal or Le Blanc.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank K9bitedr
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The recently remodeled all-inclusive resort has the "feel" of the Mediterranean or Santorini Greece. We had a balcony suite overlooking the Caribeean beach that had a small kitchenette, kingsize bed, flat screen TV, wonderful tile shower and free Wifi . Room service was available but the resturant overlooking the beach was so much fun! Gourmet style mealsin three resturants were varied, delicious, and served with dignity. The resort staff are extremely friendly and the facitilies (from outdoor courtyards to indoor lounges) are well maintained and extremely clean. The beach, pools, whirlpools overlooking the ocean and spa facilities were fantastic. The resort trips were interesting (underground river) with transportation into city bars and shopping. Great vacation with friends; planning our return trip!!!

Room Tip: Request a balcony suite overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eurana
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed at the GR Caribe in the beginning of May. We really enjoyed the trip. The room was pretty good the beds were very comfy. Housekeeping staff did a great job even though my teen daughter’s suitcase exploded every day all over the room. They went far above and beyond tidying. Room service was fine and a nice option to have especially when one of the family got too much sun. Food throughout the resort and the sister resort, Royal Solaris, was pretty good. Bogavante restaurant was the best! Spa was very nice. The grounds were great. It was nice having the option to stay at the quiet calm GR pool or go over to the party zone Royal Solaris pool depending on our mood. We met a lot of nice people from around the world.
I would say the VERY BEST FEATURE was the Staff. Omar at the front desk was so accommodating and courteous. The bartenders at the GR were great and were more than willing to visit even with our non-existent skills at attempting Spanish. The waiters’ at the restaurants were extremely good. I only wish resorts in Canada and the States had the level of service you experience in Mexico. We stay at the Fairmont a lot in Canada and although the service is better than most other chains is still doesn’t come anywhere near Cancun’s service. The only negative of the whole trip was the time share presentation we were talked into. Even though the first two ladies were at least very polite about the whole thing, the CLOSER was downright hostile when we didn’t go for the deal. Just say no and don’t even consider the presentation unless you are in the market for a timeshare. The 90 min max they estimated was well over 2 hours and very unpleasant.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank North54
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#47 of 176 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#75 of 176 in Cancun

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!