“Great Vacation - I can't wait to go back”

GR Caribe by Solaris
Ranked #25 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Vacation - I can't wait to go back”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My Fiancé and I decided on a last minute getaway and I am so glad that we did. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The pool area is amazing and the lounge chairs are by far the most comfortable I have experienced. The food was always good and plentiful. The rooms are very nice and always clean. The beach is beautiful and not over crowded. I have no complaints about this resort what so ever. I would recommend this resort to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shan-n-Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Let me start with our check-in, I went with family of 8 people and booked three rooms with them. I called them before arriving there that I needed 2 rooms with king size bed (one with crib)  and one room with double beds but I would like the rooms in the same floor. As soon as I checked in they said they had no king size beds, and the rooms were scattered in all different buildings but we literally stood there and argued for one hour and guess what? They finally did ended up giving everything we wanted, I guess they just wanted to waste your time by saying NO NO No! Finally we went to room and it was very nice, no complain until my husband was ironing and I was blow drying my hair the first night and the electricity went off. Are you kidding me? I vacation a lot and this is not acceptable at all if you call your resort a 4 star. The refrigerator seems to be working whenever they wanted it to work and this was horrible for me because I couldn't store any breast milk or any baby food. The second night i had a security guard come in to my room and said, " talk low", we asked why and he said the room next to us is complaining because we are being too loud. Then i realized the walls are sooo thin that if my baby cried, it annoyed them, thank god they left the following day because i was ready to leave the hotel. First of all there is no night life and second of all i have to stay mute in my own room? More like jail time then vacation. There is only 2 a la carte restaurant but only for night, but for breakfast you have only one option (buffet) and lunch one option (a la carte).I have to admit to one thing though, the food in bogavante and veneto is Fantastic but if you stay there for 7 days it gets boring after the 4th day even though they say they change their menu everyday. Yes it's true you can use the royal solaris facilities including the restaurants but honestly the only good place there is Marco Polo ( dinner only) and las fuentas only for breakfast. By the way the breakfast buffet in Gr Caribe is HORRIBLE and food is very limited. At night the entertainment team works really hard to perform the shows every night and I think they are amazing! The employees are wonderful, hardworking and never expect anything but I always tipped them because they are just so GREAT!!! They definitely need to improve their menu in food because what if your a vegetarian? Or can't eat pork? Or can't eat beef? One major thing lacking in this resort is that, there is noo night life at all. I actually ended up sleeping everyday at 11 meanwhile I sleep at 4-5 in the morning in NYC! There is only one pool and two jacuzzis with warm water and very weak water pressures. Now let's talk about drinks, it is definitely watered down and how can you not have coconut or any of the tropical drinks? I found that very silly. They have very limited virgin drinks ( went with 4 children) and now I think my children will never have piña colada, or daiquiris in years. I did end up going to coco bongo, it's a must see entertainment but I can guarantee it will be your first and last visit. You won't even have the chance to take one step in there because these money hungry people will jam 5,000 people in a place where the max occupancy is 700, so god forbid there's a fire you will be toasted. (by the way I went on a Tuesday night and there busy nights are Friday-Sunday so god bless you if you decide to go during those days) I believe you might enjoy coco bongo if you take the VIP service but make sure you bring a lot of cash for that because entrance fee is $55 per person. Chichen Itza was amazing but the buffet restaurant the take you to is horrible. I can relate to many of the past reviews and I can put my money down that after your visit in this hotel you will feel the exact same way I felt here. At most it's a 3 stars hotel and if you in low budget go for this place, but if your looking for a nice time try moon palace, or any of the Rius'.

Please take my words and don't believe those excellent reviews about this hotel because those are fake. It's just a very old hotel re-painted and they did a very good job with it!

Room Tip: Don't take No for an answer, fight for your rights.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Sumibegum
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed July 16, 2011

For the most part the Hotel was clean overall, it offered no fitness center of it's own so I found myself using the one at the GR Solaris. Fitness center had a polite staff but equipment was of poor quality but got me through the week. Our initial greeter at the Front Desk was a touch arrogant but my contact was limited with him and I wrote it off to him having a bad day or two, as both encounters by no means were pleasant. Food was average, not bad but nothing to enspire the taste buds, expected much better food selection and taste. Entertainment, well once again, nothing to speak of... Attempted to watch one show at the theatre in the GR Solaris only to find myself walking out after 5 minutes. In comparison to the Royal in Playa De Carma, there is none.. The GR Caribe lives up to a 3 star at best. Next I will find myself at the Royal or Le Blanc.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank K9bitedr
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The recently remodeled all-inclusive resort has the "feel" of the Mediterranean or Santorini Greece. We had a balcony suite overlooking the Caribeean beach that had a small kitchenette, kingsize bed, flat screen TV, wonderful tile shower and free Wifi . Room service was available but the resturant overlooking the beach was so much fun! Gourmet style mealsin three resturants were varied, delicious, and served with dignity. The resort staff are extremely friendly and the facitilies (from outdoor courtyards to indoor lounges) are well maintained and extremely clean. The beach, pools, whirlpools overlooking the ocean and spa facilities were fantastic. The resort trips were interesting (underground river) with transportation into city bars and shopping. Great vacation with friends; planning our return trip!!!

Room Tip: Request a balcony suite overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eurana
Northern B.C.
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed at the GR Caribe in the beginning of May. We really enjoyed the trip. The room was pretty good the beds were very comfy. Housekeeping staff did a great job even though my teen daughter’s suitcase exploded every day all over the room. They went far above and beyond tidying. Room service was fine and a nice option to have especially when one of the family got too much sun. Food throughout the resort and the sister resort, Royal Solaris, was pretty good. Bogavante restaurant was the best! Spa was very nice. The grounds were great. It was nice having the option to stay at the quiet calm GR pool or go over to the party zone Royal Solaris pool depending on our mood. We met a lot of nice people from around the world.
I would say the VERY BEST FEATURE was the Staff. Omar at the front desk was so accommodating and courteous. The bartenders at the GR were great and were more than willing to visit even with our non-existent skills at attempting Spanish. The waiters’ at the restaurants were extremely good. I only wish resorts in Canada and the States had the level of service you experience in Mexico. We stay at the Fairmont a lot in Canada and although the service is better than most other chains is still doesn’t come anywhere near Cancun’s service. The only negative of the whole trip was the time share presentation we were talked into. Even though the first two ladies were at least very polite about the whole thing, the CLOSER was downright hostile when we didn’t go for the deal. Just say no and don’t even consider the presentation unless you are in the market for a timeshare. The 90 min max they estimated was well over 2 hours and very unpleasant.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank North54
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Upon arriving- we found 2 dead crabs in our room! Our blinds were broken and stayed down! The walls had cracks and smashed dead bugs on them! We found a huge dead roach by the children's bed- the lamps did not work- the television did not work! I was rinsing the kid's swim suits out in the sink and the sink fell out of the basin! It started to rain and the window leaked the rain water inside the room. Then it got bad.... the water flooded our room! It came in through the door! Our entire floor was flooded! Our kids were on the beds watching the staff workers fill buckets of water! Our bath tub did not drain and our sink fell out- flooded room- dead crabs & roaches! REALLY!
Please pick somewhere other than here to spend your time & money!

Not once were we asked if we needed a drink at poolside nor beach side!
Beds were a total nightmare! Hard- stiff- terrible sheets!

This was a terrible Father's Day trip for our family!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Mom555
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I just got back from a wonderful trip in Cancun Mexico and the GR Cribe was my place of stay! I couldnt be more happier witht he choice I made. The Staff was so nice and friendly, always asking if we wanted drinks (i miss that so much) and the food was awesome. There were so many options we never ate away from the hotel. People complained about the bed being hard...well the bed is a bit firm but it didnt break my sleep. However on the last day a couple moved in next to us and decided to argue all night and that did break my sleep. Also the water in the shower was fine as well. Turn the knob to "C" and it got hot instantly. Our room was perfect. Balcony over looking the ocean just beautiful. Although the people that we went with had to change rooms 3 times before it was right. LOL There luck wasnt as good as ours I guess. But I would definalty reccomend this hotel to anyone. Great place for the money. The staff was always cleaning and smiling.. All around I would go again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LILTWEETY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#50 of 175 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#78 of 175 in Cancun

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!