“Great meal”
Review of Fred's House

Fred's House
Reserve with OpenTable
Fred's House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 1,079 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Its unrivalled location and slightly laid-back atmosphere, refreshing to the senses and inspired by the sea, turns Fred’s into the best spot to enjoy the coolness of the tropical paradise that surrounds this location. At Fred’s, the culinary experience is completed by spectacular sunsets reflected over the Cancun lagoon, a sight that can be enjoyed from the main chamber to the comfortable villas located at the terrace. Fred’s American Seafood & Oyster Bar has a culinary proposal including fish and seafood prepared on the spot and accompanied by one of the most emblematic drinks available at Fred’s: the Mojito, in a range of unexpected varieties and bold flavors. And, to enhance the experience, Fred’s also includes an eclectic variety of wines and liquors. The warmth of its personnel and the courteous service you will receive will be the wheel that guides your ship en-route to an enchanting dining experience.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

One of the nice dinners we had while on our honeymoon. I had steak and lobster. Steak was out of this world, seasoning was spot on. Lobster was good as well. Wife had some seafood soup which she raved about the rest of the trip. Service was a bit hurried but overall a great experience. They also brought a free desert for the occasion. If you have a few bucks to burn and would like a nice meal I would highly recommend.

1  Thank mike o
Write a ReviewReviews (2,373)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I read the other reviews but having just been, I wish to point out the reasons why I would never go back to Fred - in chronological order and for you to see which ones matters most to you.

1. Pushy waiters start straight: while the welcome was nice, the setting appropriate and the tables are nicely placed, the waiter started by giving us the wine menu before the food menu, asking if we would take some wine. Hard to make it more obvious.

2. Explanations for just the costliest items of the menu, but no indication of what is the catch of the day or other items.

3. When we ordered, the waiter made faces when we had to be clear that we would not take wine - I would have happily taken wine but driving I was limited to a glass and their wine by the glass or even half bottles were not great. An improvement of the wine list would be welcome.

4. Toastadas were brought but most of them spicy, and there was a kind of complimentary fish soup. This was pure raw salt, the liquid version of fishy peanuts.

5. Price on the menu are ok for this style of restaurant. What is less ok is the fact that it is written on the menu that all prices include all taxes and are final. When the bill comes, taxes are added and 15% service as well. Not a problem to add it, but a problem to mention otherwise in the menu.

6. My fish came cold - it was not supposed to be a sushi. My son´s steak was cold as well. Not acceptable for this kind of restaurant. They reheated promptly though.

7. The rest of the food was very rich and heavy, to the point that my wife did not feel too well.

8. Even when it was clear that we had to leave, the waiter kept asking and pushing for postres, cafes etc.

9. When the bill came, they advised to pay in USD whereas the exchange rate was better in pesos. When we chose pesos, they said that we were entitled to 10% rebate, but then changed the exchange rate used. As I just wanted to leave, I did not fight it.

10. I should have put it first: when we sat down, my wife told the waiter it was my birthday, which was obviously true (unfortunately, I look old enough that people understand my wife did not do this for a freebie drink). I did not even get a happy birthday. But I have cramps in my stomach as I am writing this.

To be fair, I understand the positive reviews below: this is a stylish restaurant, with a good menu and many waiters. I just found my particular waiter and the food unsubtle: rich, in your face, overbearing. If you pay more than 60 USD per head for dinner without wine in Mexico, you may expect a different experience - but if you want to find exactly an american overpriced fish restaurant, this is yours !

6  Thank chaibde
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here last night, after having had a bad experience with Puerto Madero's service the night before. Let me just say, Fred's was a complete 180. Stellar service and presentation from the moment we walked in the door. Julio (head waiter?) is kind, upbeat and fun, and his team, including our main waiter Randolfo are well-trained professionals who care about their patrons and made our experience perfect.

The food was amazing. We both had Fred's martini -- a cucumber/jalepeño drink that was maybe the best drink I've ever had. The octopus ceviche starter was phenomenal, as was the scallop aguachile. They bring out tortillas with 2 dipping sauces and 3 types of mayo -- delicious! I had the fish fillet (grouper) and my husband got the 14 oz lobster tail. Both were pretty perfect. We shared the rice and baked mashed potatoes and have nothing to complain about there either. For dessert, we shared the mini banana churros which came with a raspberry sauce, butterscotch sauce (my favorite), and a cream sauce (my husbands favorite). It was incredible. They also brought the house gift of shaved ice with a vanilla cinnamon sauce, which they explained is a typical Mexican dessert. It was amazing.

Overall, it was fabulous. We were stuffed as we walked back to the JW (directly across the street), but we couldn't have asked for a better meal. We are both surprised it isn't rated higher on TripAdvisor's list. Maybe it's newer? At any rate, we can't imagine a restaurant being better than this. We might be back later this trip, and definitely if we are ever back in cancun! Fred's is a must!!

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Very good quality food with a nice variety of beers. Amazing shrimp tacos is served there. Price a little high but reasonable for the place.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is the best food of my trip I would totally recommend this to anybody looking for a fantastic meal.