“Rude staff, bad wifi, bad breakfast” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moloch Hostel y Suites

Moloch Hostel y Suites
Ranked #13 of 118 Specialty Lodging in Cancun
“Rude staff, bad wifi, bad breakfast”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The staff here are genuinely the rudest we have experienced in 6 months of travelling and we are not usually ones to complain. We stayed here two nights, the first in a dorm and the second in a private room up stairs. When we moved to the room it stank of stale smoke, when I asked if they had any spray she abruptly said no and that no one had been in the room so it shouldn't smell. 5 minutes later she reluctantly came up with some air freshener. When we moved to the room there was a small amount of building work going on, we were woken at a ridiculous time in the morning by banging and crashing. The builders were demolishing the wall opposite and the stairs by our room to get down were taped off, rubble all over the floor and bricks dropping down. It was a complete state and our room should have been blocked off, it was incredibly dangerous to walk down the steps which we had do to a couple of times with our bags. We said to the receptionist it was dangerous, no one told us there would be building work and we shouldn't have been up there and she could not have cared less. We were supposed to be leaving our bags to come back the next day so I said at last can we leave our bags for free as we paid for a room which stank of smoke and was in the middle of a construction zone. Instead of being understanding she doubled the price to store our bags and said pay it or take your bags, of course we left, very annoyed at such rudeness and that we had given them custom. It is a shame as it is a nice clean hostel with good dorms. Shame about the staff, lousy breakfast, lousy wifi and lack of atmosphere.

2 Thank PKE27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This hostel has great potential as it is in a great location and is a nice building, however the staff made this stay the least favourite of my 6 month travels. They were rude, obnoxious and unhelpful. The hostel also has a terrible atmosphere. We left half way through our stay in cancun as we didn't want to put up with the receptionists attitude for any longer

3 Thank Nathryn_22

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

i am not one to usually write a review but my treatment at this place was disgusting.
we arrived late after a long day of travel and i awoke to a live bed bug crawling around my bed. i squished it and took it to the receptionist who acted like its wasnt a big deal. i showered and put my clothes i was wearing in a bag for the wash and asked her if they could move to another room and would they pay for my washing. luckily i had slept in my travel clothes and didnt open my bag. not only did she refused to pay the 23pesos for my laundry but then went on to accuse me of planting the bug myself and promptly asked me to leave the property as she "didnt want a problem staying there."
so so rude and i would never recommend this hostel due to my experience.
not only was i made to move but am now looking forward to seeing how many times that bug bit me, all with no sympathy from the staff.

1 Thank Samantha S
Ayangue, Ecuador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had a private room with TV, air conditioning and bath for 380 pesos per night which was great, and the location is terrific too. They cleaned every day, new sheets, towels, etc. The pool area is very nice, there are a couple of computers and nice lounge areas outside. My only complaints are that the breakfast was basically non-existent (I had to buy my own elsewhere), and the WiFi did not work in the rooms - and more importantly did not work in any of the nice lounge areas or by the pool. The only place it worked (and not that well...) was in the eating area and computer room.

Room Tip: A-3 upstairs was good
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hostel is a converted house located near the bus station and Parque de las Palapas. It is a lovely little place with a swimming pool and pleasant enough in decor. I came with a friend and when we both walked in, the receptionist, who was doing something in the kitchen area came up to us and basically asked us what we wanted. She was definitely not friendly and looked as if she'd rather not be bothered. We asked to see the room and she went on to explain that it was a room with a bed and bathroom. We asked again and without much gusto, she took us to the room. We were kind of turned off by the attitude but after searching around, there were no other places available so we went back.

She asked us again what we wanted, even though we weren't gone for longer than half an hour and made it very clear that she could only rent the room for one night because it was booked for the weekend already.

We got a private room and it has the rather odd construction of a very deep step to get into the room, as if you were climbing into a well. The bathroom was also elevated and has two steps up. There were shampoo, soap and towels with a fan and a tv, all pleasant enough. Even though they were private rooms, you could hear the doors about open and close and even a light tap on the wall will be heard.

Breakfast the next morning consisted of toast, instant coffee and fake juice.

The place itself is lovely. The receptionist, not so much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed here as it was pretty much next to the ADO bus station. I usually stay in dorms but as I wasnt feeling too great I took a private room for the first two nights. For 380 i had a comfy double bed, TV with lots of channells, fan and AC (didnt use) and an ensuite, very clean with hot shower.

There was some building work going on during the day so it could get quite noisy.

The staff were pleasant enough, didnt have any problems with them. Location is good, close to everything really. Theres a big supermarket nearby and the kitchen has everything you need to cook a meal.

The third night i stayed in a 4 bedded dorm, very spacious, lockers provided and big shared shower and toilet room. There were also other toilets and showers to use. The bed was comfy, no problems.

Breakfast was a buffet of cereal. bread, jam, fresh fruit, bananas, juice, tea, coffee and yoghurt, very impressed.

The place was immaculately clean.

My only bugbear was the wifi was bad and dropped A LOT. Unable to get wifi in rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gemwho
Cozumel, Q.roo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I found this Place by Accident and it was the Best thing that happened to me in CanCun while I was on Business...Great Price and very Clean. But, a bit tight or Stress Atitud from the front Desk Lady....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business