“Central, efficient, flexible”

Ranked #15 of 131 Specialty Lodging in Cancun
Guatemala
“Central, efficient, flexible”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I got to stay in this hostel by an offer of my travel agency and I am happy to add it to my list of favourites.First of all , it is conveniently situated close to the bus terminal in Cancun, then it offers rooms for all financial levels and thirdly the staff are extremely helpful and patient.and not to forget the wonderful breakfast buffet on the roof terrace, where you also have access to a superfast internet .All in all, a stay without any flaws!

Room Tip: There are dorms for people low on budget and suites with jacuzzi inside which gives yu an ultimate f...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank roadhitter_13
MundoJovenCancun, Manager at Hostel Mundo Joven Cancun, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thanks for choosing us!

Management
Julian Issa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 2, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hostel just when we arrived to Mexico. The first "contact" with Mexican people couldn't have been better. We had so much fun with the guys of the hostel that we didn't even leave the hostel for more than two hours. Apart from the fun we had they taught us to make real Guacamole and gave us very good travel tips. The hostel itself is brand new, super clean and with a little jacuzzi on the very nice roof terrace. And the breakfast is just amazing....We recommend this place 100% and we will be back for sure before we leave Mexico.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank furthertwotravel
Clean and best staff, thanks for your comments.

Julian Issa
Management
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband and I spent three nights here. The premises is new, fresh and very spacious. Our double room with ensuite was huge and had a great shower. The room was serviced daily. We enjoyed the bar upstairs, the restaurant downstairs and the quiet location. The staff were friendly, enthusiastic and very helpful.

They celebrated their first birthday while we were there and invited everyone. It wasn´t needed by they apologised the next morning for the noise. I don´t think I have ever slept in a hostel that had a mariachi band playing on the roof. :-) Thank guys.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redconstance19
MundoJovenCancun, Gerente at Hostel Mundo Joven Cancun, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thanks for joining us on our Anniversary Party. We enjoyed every second that time and hope you won't forget our mariachi band!

Best regards,

Julian Management
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed two nights here. The facilities are nice but the staff isn't very helpful in either English or Spanish. This is not a party hostel in the least so if you think you'll do this for spring break you will be disappointed. It's got facilities with a very good, affordable restaurant underneath it. This spot is 3 blocks from the bus terminal which helps greatly. This hostel is a fairly long bus ride away from party cancun.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Ssimon11
Thanks for your feedback. It's been a while since you were here and thing's have changed. Every week we run an activities programm which includes BBQ's, Spanish Lessons, Salsa and Tequila Nights.

Hope to see you back soon,

Julian Management
South Strafford, Vermont
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We dislike Cancun and places like it, so our main concern was to find a place handy to the bus depot so we come into town from the airport and out the next day. Being near the bus terminal, Hostal Mundo Joben is in a busy, commercial district, well away from the beaches and their glitzy hotels.

We stayed at Hostal Mundo Joven on two occasions -- in January 2011 at the beginning our trip and in April at the end. The hostal was a pleasant surprise.The people on the staff were all polite, friendly, and helpful. The private rooms were plain and bare, but they were appointed in some ways like a good hotel -- modern, clean bathrooms, great shower, even a large flat-screen tv. There is safe luggage storage. The rooftop bar/dining/lounging area is also very nice. Breakfast was excellent.

The guests were mostly young backpackers, but there were a few older folks like ourselves as well, and everyone was made to feel welcome. Best of all, from our point of view, was that the hostal is only about 100 yards from the ADO terminal, where comfortable buses take you away from Cancun.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MundoJovenCancun, Manager at Hostel Mundo Joven Cancun, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Thank you for taking a chance on our hostel, we're glad you enjoyed our service and that the facilities were convenient for you.

Best regards and come back soon,

Asuncion, Paraguay
Reviewed March 6, 2011

“Very close to ADO station, the double room was excellent, air con, tv, superclean. Average breakfast. The staff is very helpfull and provide good information. You have all services around, laundromat, supermarket, inexpensive places to eat. Easy to go to Chichen Itza in the 9 am direct bus that returns at 4 pm . Idem for the airport and Puerto Juarez for the ferry to Isla Mujeres. You can also go to Valladolid and connect from there to C.Itza. Few minutes by bus to the zona hotelera beaches.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
High quality service is our goal and everyday task. Thanks for staying with us and hope to host you again.

San Diego, California
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Pros: new hostel, cleanliness, staff, value, social area on the roof, wifi
Cons: breakfast and breakfast service, water pressure very poor in the showers/sink areas of the dorms, showers tend to be gross (considering its a new property they need to keep up on this).

As a backpacker for many many years I tend to be more critical than many. I am also what one would consider a flashpacker....a bit older (42) and willing to spend a bit more on accommodation. Throughout my months in Central America on this journey I didn't stay in a dorm (always private rooms on this trip) until I got to Cancun which was my final stopping point. The reason for this was the climate summit was occurring and I literally couldn't find accommodation anywhere that was reasonable. Thus I stayed in a dorm here and glad I did.

The dorm room I was in, 102, had 10 beds (5 bunks) with a double sink area, two toilets (one of which did not work), and a shower. It was a single-sex dorm. The dorm room was extremely spacious and each bed had a nice sized locker next to their corresponding bed. One problem that came up was that each person has a key to the room but many times others in the room fail to lock the doors behind them. Also, there is the game of putting the heat/ac on and off...quite a problem but what the solution is I don't know. The beds were new thus very comfortable.

Many of the people I met in the dorm were either going to Cuba, starting/ending their trips through Central America, or were there for the conference. It was a good mix of people and while there are a few crazies, the hostel only allows people to stay a maximum of 7 nights. I see this as a good thing as people do not become too comfortable that they begin to think of the place as THEIR home as one will find in many other dorms. This is a great dorm for single travelers as its conducive for meeting others.

The kitchen area on the top floor is excellent with everything one needs to cook. It is a spacious and clean area that is regularly cleaned up by staff (some hostelers need to learn that their mom's don't live there and they need to do their own dishes). Just off the kitchen is a small keg and beer that they sell. Unfortunately only one of my nights did I see the beer flowing from here. I highly recommend they maybe promote 1 or 2 nights per week that the place becomes known for their happy hours up on the deck.

The deck is an amazing space. It is open air with plenty of tables and seating. There are hammocks, a hot tub, an outdoor shower, and in lounge chairs for sunning. Just off the main deck is a computer room with three working computers and a television. One night a bunch of people were crowded in the tv room watching a movie. One suggestion may be to have a big screen movie night out under the stars on the open air deck. The deck is also a great place to get strong wifi reception that is free and to smoke and drink beers.

The breakfast needs to be improved. There is no set time to when they open. Some days its 7:30am some days its after 8am. Three of the mornings I went for my coffee which was in an urn and it was cold. That is because it was not turned on. When I mentioned it the third day the guy plugged it in and turned it on. VERY apathetic workers doing the morning breakfast and its somewhat sad because this is likely the last place they will be before leaving the hostel thus the negative experience will stick with them. The selection of food is arbitrary with fruit some days while none other days. There should be a way to order eggs or something substantial other than having the supplied muslix or dry cereal, even if its at a nominal cost. The restaurant where the breakfast is served is not open for regular meals/diners. It is actually quite a nicely done space.

The staff should be commended, especially the manager, Julian. He has experience at their other property in Mexico City and on my last night there had a really, really great conversation with him. He really cares about the place, enjoys his job immensely, and has the backpackers in his best interest. Most of the other staff are really friendly. I did have a problem with the deposit for the key which is 10P. Twice (I stayed there three different times) I got the deposit back, which is taped in a piece of paper, and found when I opened it that two of the three times there was only 4P in there instead of the full deposit. The third time I checked in and mentioned this and she said to make sure to open it before leaving which I did.

If you are looking for a very clean, chilled hostel that is the closest you can get to the ADO station (two minute walk out the door), you have found the spot. In terms of its location, the main post office is not too far of a walk, there are many restaurants/bars in the area, and the beach is only a local bus ride away. I had a really fun time here and really enjoyed the way the place was run, the clientel, and the staff.

I wish I could give this place 5 stars but as noted within my review there are a few things that don't allow me to do so. When I return to Cancun will I stay there? ABSOLUTELY.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
We've improved our breakfast and key proceedures. We thank you for your feedback. We do care about our guests and everything that they need we'll try to figure it out so we can offer an unforgettable experience in the hostel and in Cancun. Best regards,