“Where was the support?”

Hotel Hacienda de Castilla
Ranked #114 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I am a certified hotel inspector in my country so I guess I can say that I have a tough view. I notice everything. I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights.It is located in the heart of downtown Cancun city not tourist trap strip. Very colorful area and very true to Mexico. I arrived rather early about 8 in the morning and was surprised to be greeted by a young woman Edith who is a real multitasker. Her smile set the pace for the visit. She helped the young lady receptionist with my registration. I could tell that the receptionist was a bit slow and unsure of how to welcome me, she did not smile and told me No ALOT. Edith quickly found solution and answers to my questions, she gave me local information and maps.To this, the receptionist rolled her eyes. Edith also helped me with my luggage and escorted me to my room. The rooms are modest but comfortable and very clean. After I unpacked I visited the pool area and watched as again Edith greeted other guestes. I though she was a waitress because she helped serving meals and took breakfast orders.All the while smiling and knowing guest names. I realized guests as well met with her to say goodmorning and hugged her. Wow, I thought this was something special. This young woman gave a true personnal touch to the guests making us feel special and very welcomed. later I had a moment to talk to another guest who told me that Edith is the Quality of customer service director, I wondered if she was the only member of administration because I did not see anyone else. I look very anglo and I think this is why no one expects me to know spanish, I sat in reception waiting for my tour guide to arrive and listened to an older woman complain in reception, She and the receptionist spoke very poorly of Mrs. Edith. Saying that when the boss would arrive, Edith would be fired for being Stupid.......I find it funny how negative persons are threatened by good persons who shine on the job. It is also sad that I had to hear how these two ladies expressed themselves. IT WAS NOT PROFESSIONAL. Never the less I went about my day. When I returned, I again forund the older woman in reception complaining. I later went ot the restaurant and again found this woman complaining that administration did nnot know anything. THIS IS NOT A TEAM EFFORT. I did not like her negativity. I have no personnal ties to Mrs. Edith, Lets make this very clear. I also only spoke to her 2 times during my stay. As a guest to this hotel, I found Mrs. Edith to be very productive, positive, educated, and a great asset to this hotel. As a matter of fact if anyone were to ever fire her, this would be a mistake. Before leaving, I asked Mrs. Edith if she would ever be interested in moving to another country, I figured, well if she ever needed I job, I would hire her. She explained her loyalty to her job, co workers, and boss. I was impressed and decided this comment was needed on Trip Advisor. Good employees are hard to find, EXCELENT employees come once in a great while.

Room Tip: If you travel to Cancun, this a great little spot.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
18  Thank Christine Zueki... L

Reviewed March 5, 2012

We used this hotel as an over nighter to be able to start our vacation to Isla Mujeres the next day.
The reviews were pretty much on target. The hotel is clean. The AC only works one setting in most rooms so if you are staying more than a night I would get the AC that is adjustable. A small bottle of water is provided and there is a large bottle of water at the reception. The towels were amazingly good. We were tired from flying and did not take the advice of other reviews that suggested NOT to eat there. They were correct. The food was terrible. Even the chips were stale. The food was luke warm and spicy enough to cause a nose bleed and I like spicy. I ate two bites. The beer was cold and cheap and good. The downsize is that you cannot walk to this hotel from the bus station. Next time we will pay a little more money and stay closer to the bus station.

Room Tip: Ask for room that has adjustable AC.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank painnurse
Reviewed February 23, 2012

My travel buddy and myself stayed at Hotel Hacienda de Castilla the night of the 13th since we flew into Cancun so late, and again on the 21st since our flight was leaving so early. This is a great overnight hotel with safe gated parking. It is very clean, the beds are firm yet soft, and I like the decor. The pillows can be hard if you're used to something softer, and the wall unit AC can be quite loud. I recommend bringing a travel pillow and some earplugs for a better night sleep. Also, take a shower at a non-peak time of the day and you'll get hotter water. If you shower when everyone else on you're floor is showering, the water only gets warm - but who cares because Mexico is hot :-) The continental breakfast is fruit and toast, coffee and juice.

We drove from the airport in the dark and spent more than an hour searching for the hotel. We finally gave up and stopped at a gas station, where the attendants found a guy who spoke enough english. He called the hotel and found out it was about four blocks away, and then drove us there (he drove, we followed in our car).

Don't use Google Maps to get to this hotel because Cancun is missing a lot of street signs. Here are better directions:
1. Take Carratera Federal Mexico 307 towards Cancun
2. 307 Will become Tulum Ave.
3. At the first round-a-bout (traffic circle) take the first exit right for Bonampak Ave.
4. Stay on Bonampak until you go under an overpass and you will see a Pemex gas station on the corner on your left.
5. Take a u-turn at the first RETURNO, then take a right at the Pemex gas station onto Lopez Portillo.
6. Take a left at the first RETURNO onto Calle 15.
7. Take a left at the second intersection onto Calle 6 and the very next left onto Calle 7 where the hotel is.

All of the staff speak enough English, and they don't mind if you practice your Spanish on them. The morning staff is much friendlier than the evening staff, but no one is rude at all. There is WIFI which is great! We very much enjoyed our stay!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank sngglebnny
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Edith (Edie) and Armondo took extra effort to make sure I enjoyed my stay. I was treated like family and left Cancun feeling that I had made special friends friends with them and also with several of their diverse clients. Amrondo even insisted on taking me to the airport and "no way could I pay for his gas" as we were friends. I was a definite virtue culturally not to be part of the "Hotel Zone" .

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank doylechappell
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Small clean budget hotel, great value, short taxi ride from the bus station. We used it for our first night in Mexico and were pleasantly surprised. Good sized room, good bed, a/c, toiletries, water and fruit provided in the price. There is a small pool and restaurant. We didn't have breakfast but we did have dinner when we arrived as I don't think there is anywhere near the area. We were the only customers but the meal was cooked to order and quite OK.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the back is quieter
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dianagray
Reviewed February 2, 2012

The hotel itself is actually ok - their "restaurant" is a total disaster, breakfast is ok though...

The hotel has almost no english speaking staff which makes it even worse when (as we) one gets stuff stolen by the staff...

The Hotel has no deposit boxes, and therefore everything you bring is at your own risk, and is not ensured... We always take all aour values with us on a backpack - we always have, and have never gotten stolen from before - not even in India... Here - the first time we ever left our room without out backpack was on departure day, we were gone for less than one hour... in that time the room had been Cleaned, or actually only a small part of it, including a part of my belongings, such as Iphone, headsets, pocketnife etc..

Left the hotel with a promise from the manager, who is a Texan lady that they would do what they could.. From then on, it was not possible to contact manager - she is not in hotel or just not available - front desk tells in their mex english..

i am still trying to contact manager or some day hopefully the owner of the hotel...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Henrik S
hotelpuntareal, Gerente at Hotel Hacienda de Castilla, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Mr. and Mrs. Kobenhavn, 3 Febuaray 2012

Although we are a small hotel chain, located in the heart of downtown Cancun, we ALWAYS strive to make our guests feel safe, secure, and at home.
We understand that language can be a barrier when visiting any foreign country, however, we can assure you that our hotel reception clerks do qualify language standards at approximately a level of 70%. Our General Manager, Lic. Armando Flores, speaks English at a 90% level, and our Quality Assurance Director, Edith Baez, is fully bilingual.
In reception during checkout you did in fact comment to Ms. Edith that you could not find your i phone. Shae asked you if you had gone out during the morning and you answered YES. Ms. Edith asked if there was any possibility that you could have left it elsewhere, and you answered that you were not sure.
Following hotel policy, Ms. Edith asked you to allow us a few minutes in order to check your hotel room and interview housekeeping. You said it was not possible due to the fact that you were in a hurry. Ms. Edith then asked you for contact information and you stated that you would be staying at the Bellvue in Hotel Zone Cancun.
We interviewed all staff and reviewed all security videos and found no probable cause to believe that there was a theft occurrence within our property. Ms. Edith attempted contact with you at the Bellvue but was unable to find you in your room and left a message at reception for you.
We are not an “AAT YOUR RISK” HOTEL, in fact we do indeed offer a secure locked security box for valuables. It is unfortunate that you were not aware of this information.
It is also unfortunate that you experienced the loss of personal items; however, in the 3 years of our company operation, we have NEVER had this type of security failure involving any accusation of theft by our staff.
We are confident that everyone on our staff is hardworking, honest and dedicated to proving ‘outstanding customer service.

Feel free to contact us in case of any lingering doubts. We are at your service and empathized with your view point.

Hotel Staff and Management
52-998-843-0620

Reviewed January 15, 2012

I've been staying for 10 days and was good service friendly staff, I felt like home as the hotel is small and everyone knows
make you feel important