“Should have listened to the other reviews. Mediocre at best.”
Review of Katsu-Ya - CLOSED

Katsu-Ya
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New York, NY
“Should have listened to the other reviews. Mediocre at best.”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I'm by no means a sushi snob, I'm happy with a basic roll and despite how un-purist, I admit that I even like when they add the "crunch" (eg tempura flakes), and from that perspective they did OK, we had the katsu-ya (lobster) roll and a mojito roll (sort of like a rainbow roll but add mint). However, the piece of yellowtail that I ordered was dried out and tasted off, which I told the waiter. He took it away but SO kindly left it on the bill. We also ordered the ahi/avocado salad as others suggested, which was OK except that the greens were a title wilted and brown. The edamame appetizer, which is pretty hard to mess up, wasnt that warm, and had large rock salt crystals which were just unmanageable for the dish, there was no way to get just a little subtle salt taste with the bean pods. Overall the food just seemed lackluster and definitely overpriced for the quality. Yes, sure, the terrace is lovely and has a great view of the lagoon, but there are a ton of restaurants along the lagoon which are equally lovely, equally overpriced, but make their food with care, not just slopping whatever old ingredients they have around on a plate. We can't wait to go to Fred's tomorrow evening.

Visited June 2012

Atlanta, GA
“OK, but not great”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

If you are just in the mood for sushi and a scene this could be your place. Service was mediocre at best, sushi was fine, and drinks were pretty bad. People watching was exceptional!

Visited April 2012
London
“First time”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was my first time to try Sushi and raw fish & meat based foods. And I found the food to be gorgeous and fresh. My travelling companion (who has sampled much sushi) also was impressed with the standard of food here. Thank you. Service also good and helpful with decisions!

• Visited December 2011
Columbus, Ohio
“Sushi "Yeah"!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Visited this restaurant with family while on vacation in Cancun. Shushi was fresh and tasty. Service was attentive and helpful. Overall a positive experience. Cost is only area that I would say anything negative. Definitely on the higher end even for sushi. I guess we paid more for the view as we sat outside on the lagoon but if you enjoy sushi and want to have some while in Cancun would recommend this as a place worth visiting.

Visited March 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Average”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This is a cute little place for sushi or japanese/mexican fusion. They incorporate some of the local ingredients as a part of the japanese food. The sushi was not above par, but you can tell that it is very fresh made it worth it for me. My husband got the Kobe rib eye, the rib eye was just too fatty, we were used to just having the kobe steaks. The fried rice there was not good, don't waste your money ordering it.

Visited March 2012