Ways to Experience Cancun Whale Shark Tours
More Info
from $139.99
More Info
1,220 results
All reviews ceviche once in a lifetime bucket list sea sickness isla mujeres amazing experience vip trip guide raul swimming with the sharks these gentle giants saw dolphins boat ride underwater camera these amazing creatures wear a life jacket these guys open ocean
Selected filters
Reviewed August 7, 2019 via mobile

Myself & my boyfriend really enjoyed this experience! We saw lots of whale sharks during our two jumps, we saw dolphins and turtles too which was an added bonus! After the experience we did a snorkelling trip to the beautiful Isla Mujeres.
This trip is a must, if you’re travelling between May - September.

One thing - if you think you might get travel sick, take tablets in the AM before! I don’t usually get sea sick but the boat was very rocky and whilst you wait for the other groups to dive the boat is still and the sea is rough!

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank 390jesst
Reviewed August 5, 2019 via mobile

On 29th July 2019 I did this trip with my 2 16 yr old daughters who absolutely loved this trip. Our guide was Luca and he was excellent and very helpful. We were taken on a boat and then we swam over the 2nd largest coral reef in the world and saw loads of fish, turtles and even squid. It was amazing . After this we were taken to Xenotes and swam in them and even in some caves. The scenery was stunning. A must do trip if you visit Mexico

Reviewed July 21, 2019

I booked an excursion through my hotel in Tulum with Cancun Adventures that included transportation to Cancun, diving with whale sharks and lunch at Isla Mujeres. If I could find a place to review directly for Cancun Adventures for the Whale Shark adventure I would, but I can't find it on the Trip Advisor site.

1. Diving with whale sharks was a magical experience. It will remain with me for the rest of my life.
2. I have a problem with the rest (except for the transportation to Cancun).
3. I think after having this experience, the manner in which the tours are operated are cruel and stressful to the whale sharks.

The guides were not attentive, couldn't care less about the comfort or education of the group and just wanted to herd us into a boat, throw us into the water with the sharks, get us back into the boat and get us the hell to shore. I had other excursions during this trip and had the best time... this was not one of them.

The boat they used was a diving boat that should only be used for taking divers to reefs just offshore and NOT 20 miles into the very choppy seas. I was smashed around so much that my back was aching and prostate was in the back of my cranium. The boat was very flat bottomed unlike other boats that I saw at taking adventurers to the whale shark feeding site. It took 90 minutes to get out (and 90 minutes back) of sheer torture. The guides and crew could see a few of the passengers in great discomfort but simply didn't care.

When we arrived at the site (stinking of gasoline from the more than boats) we were rushed to jump into the water in pairs, swim for 5 minutes then exit and let the next pair go. I swam two times for a total of 10 minutes. (I was so excited to have multiple encounters with the sharks and was overwhelmed by the magnificence and beauty.). I brought my own mask and snorkel. The cheap crappy ones they provided to the people who didn't have one is a DISGRACE! I loaned mine to a couple people because the ones provided were $2 pieces of crap. So disgusted.

After another spine crushing trip back from the dive site we stopped at the beach in Isla Mujeres for a lunch. The guides simply parked the boat and left the people to find their way. Poor communications and obviously they wanted to just go do their own thing. (Not because the people on the tour were mean or rude ... because we were not.. we were engaging and looking forward to the experience). The food was decent but I left hungry.

If you take the tour, MAKE SURE of the following:
1. The boat is the a deep water boat and not a reef diving boat.
2. Bring your own snorkel equipment.
3. Be prepared for a long and bumpy ride (if you have back problems or get seasick, skip this tour... you will be MISERABLE).

It turned out that there were more than 200 sharks so it was a prime day to see them. There were more than 100 boats out there. The stink of gasoline (that also ends up getting into your mouth when you are snorkeling) must be horrible for the sharks as are the well meaning tourists.

Reviewed July 16, 2019

We did a day trip with Kay tours to swim with the whale sharrks. From the time we were picked up till we returned it was great. Pick up was early 5:15 am but the pick up was great. Coffe, fruit, even pillows and blankets for all the guests. THe cost of the trip covered everything wrist bands to get into the marina, and out to the whale sharks, pictures drinks. Getting up early gave us the first on site and to find the whale sharks so we were not rushed to get in line with the other companies that were just getting out there when we we on our way back The captian put us in grreat positions to see the sharrks coming right at us. We would do this again with Kay tours

Reviewed July 11, 2019

Me and My Daughter booked to go on this Whaleshark Excursion and we were picked up nice and early at our Hotel and ten other people at different hotels before being took to the Marina and we were all given a welcome drink and a cakes before our trip and we paid our 12 dollars Whaleshark tax and we were than given different Coloured Wristbands to wear . We were than put in to groups of ten and given a very Interesting talk on the Whale Sharks and told the do and Do and Don,ts . We than met our Guide for the day Willy and he was a real nice guy and made us all feel welcome and we than walked down to the boat and was given life jackets to wear before our trip could start. Once on board we were told it would be about an hour out to were the Shark might be and our search would start and on the trip out I saw two flying fish and it felt like it was going to be a good day . We had heard new before we got to the area that the Sharks had been found and it was very Exciting to Arrive and see saw many Sharks straight away and we were giving two Opportunities to swim with the Whale Sharks and only two people at a time in the water and the guide and it was a brilliant Experiences and I never thought you would get saw close to the Sharks and Willy watch us all the time to keep us safe and my daughter could not keep up and he give her help to keep up and it,s one of the best things I have every done and it just got better when a couple of Manta Rays turn up and give brilliant views and on the trip back we had pod of Bottle Noised Dolphin along the side of the boat and we were told it was only the second time this year that they had over a hundred Whale Sharks. We finished the day with lunch and a bit of Snorkelling off a beach at Isle Mujeres and this trip was my Highlight of my Holiday .

1  Thank Martin B
Reviewed July 5, 2019 via mobile

Our family of four adults was staying at the Iberostar Cozumel and part of our Dressel diving package was a whale shark excursion. We took the 5:45 am ferry over to Playa, was greeted by Olaf from Dressel Playa, and drive down the coast to Cancun, about an hour or so. We were briefed on the way, there were bathrooms to change and them parceled out 8 to a boat (4 buddy pairs). We rode top speed st least an hour past Isla Mujeres into the deep, and there were several other boats all overseen by an authority boat. On our day we had several whale sharks, Olaf said right around full moon is best, between May 15 and September 15. That’s the only time they run the tours. You jump off the side of the boat, always with your guide, ours was amazing Misa and get to swim with them if you are fast and lucky. It’s pretty strenuous but very exciting, and not as easy as you think to take pictures or video. I did well but I’m a super strong swimmer. Then back on the boat for round two. It’s wonderful and they are very careful of these lovely creatures so you and they aren’t ever in danger. Afterwards they took us to Isla Mujeres and we had a floating lunch off the back of the boat, cerveza included. My only caveat would be if you have a bad back the long bumpy boat ride may not be for you. Great time, very professionally done. Thanks Olaf!!

Date of experience: June 2019