“Great beach!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Great beach!”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I have stayed at this location the past 4 times I have travelled to Cancun. It's a good bet for your money. Not too fancy but certainly very clean and the staff is super friendly. The people who stay here tend to fall into 2 age groups ... 65 and older and their 30 to 40 something yr old kids (plus grandkids). Many of the guests are here because they own a timeshare unit.
Another great plus of the Royal properties is that you can catch a free bus from the lobby and travel between each of them. Nice to check out other beach locations, pools and the spa.
The restaurants on site are not the best. The food is bland and a bit overpriced for what you get. Your best bet is to check out places not on the property.
And finally - Our trip to Chichen Itza was lousy. This was my third trip there and while the sites are amazing it is really annoying that there are so many "vendors" (aka, people begging) on the property. These people get in your face trying to sell you stuff and won't leave you alone. Makes it difficult to really enjoy the tour.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
RR_Community_Manager, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Caribbean, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for your comments, they are very important for us and help us serve you better.

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed our staff's friendliness. One of our top priorities is to make our valued guests feel right at home by providing them with a warm & friendly service.

I'm sorry to read about your experience in Chichen Itzá; I do hope you agree that this is something beyond our control, though.

Royal Resorts Community Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Coalville, Utah
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We are leaving tomorrow and have had a great time here. It's beautiful and very clean. there are no pushy sales people. Everyone working here is so nice and willing to help. The only people that wouldn't enjoy this resort would be spring breakers- very family oriented and peaceful. The rooms are very nice but are a little outdated. The beach is beautiful. They have a great way of charging things to your room- all itemized for each person in your villa. We would come to Cancun and stay here every time!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
RR_Community_Manager, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Caribbean, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for your comments! They are very important for us and help us serve you better.

I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed your time in paradise with us. We take pride in the quality and warmth of our service and facilities, it's always nice to hear that our hard working staff is doing things right to make you feel at home.

We'd love to have you back! Do let us know next time you plan to come and visit.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We love coming back to the Royal Caribbean. The rooms are huge and spacious and the service is excellent. Everybody is kind and helpful. We like seeing people we know and enjoy the atmosphere that is more like an apartment complex and everybody "knows your name!'
The beach is so beautiful here and the Happy Hour is the BEST!!! They have lots for kids to do and really so many activities for all ages. We love our personal servers that we meet every year and even love our maid service!!
If you want to relax, enjoy a view, or have a ton of activities...this is the place for you!!! Next year, we will be back for 3 weeks or more!!! YEAH!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed your time in paradise so much! As usual, our hard working staff gets a well deserved mention; it is our top priority to provide a warm service to make you feel just at home.

I'm psyched that you'll be returning for 3 more weeks! Please let me know when you have your dates ready so we can prepare a nice welcome for you.

ATL
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I just returned from Royal Caribbean yesterday. The property is very well maintained, but was obviously constructed 20+ years ago. The 2 bedroom villas are large (1500 sq ft?), but the kitchen and furnishings are quite dated. Royal seems to cater to an older clientele and families with children. We do not fit either of those categories and so there were probably much better choices for us in Cancun. Food was bland and catered to an American palate; service was generally unremarkable with one exception, where is was horrendous.

One major complaint: I was stopped in the lobby multiple times if I arrived back anytime late in the evening. I was asked for my name and room number - just showing my room key was not enough. This was most certainly because I am under 30 and did not fit the typical guest demographic, because I saw groups of older guests coming in without a similar interrogation. It was like I was out past curfew!! Additionally, management made it very difficult to bring our friends over who were at other resorts, asking them for ID, holding on to their room keys, and insisting they be out by 10 pm! I've never been a guest anywhere that restricted movement of guests and visitors like this place - and this is after traveling to 4 continents and staying in 4 or 5 star properties.

In short - if you are a family, think Mexico is unsafe and enjoy chicken fingers, you will love it. Otherwise, pick a different place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank JustinATL
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Caribbean, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

Regarding your comments, I'd like to point out that the Royal Resorts are privately owned vacation clubs, therefore access is restricted to non-members and/or non-guests. Resort policies forbid any unregistered guests access during the night.

There is also another policy in effect in where any owners/guests must inform front desk if they are expecting visitors; if the visitors are going to spend the day at the resort, they need to pay a "day pass". The owner/guest has to register the visitors in front desk and must follow the visitors allowed hours, which are from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Warm regards,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2011

This is a time share and we traded one of our Marriott time shares to come here for a week. We traveled with our toddler daughter and my parents, so 5 people total. We had a 2 bedroom unit which was very large and comfortable, although it looks very dated. One room has a king bed and the other has two doubles, there are 2 bathrooms (one next to each room), a good size living room with a dining table and a decent kitchen. There's a large porch and from our high floor we had a beautiful view.

The bathrooms don't have any windows so they were dark and always kind of wet. The beds were OK. If you are traveling with little kids like us, make sure to keep your doors locked so your little one won't wander to the porch. The building looks very cheap, everything looks plain, not one of the best time shares I've seen.

The beach is very nice (the government brought sand back in, that had been washed away after hurricane Wilma) but the waves were strong the whole week we were there, so we didn't really go swimming in that area (red/yellow flags all week long).

We are time share owners and we're used to the salespeople but at this place they were very pushy/annoying. First of all they called us for an "orientation" in our first morning that was supposed to be about the area/things to do and such but it was basically a sales presentation. We left before the end, and I was upset we wasted any time at all on that. The "concierge" aka salesperson kept calling us at different days/odd times to have us sit through a presentation and to come to "happy hour" (another sales presentation in disguise). We told him several times we were not going to buy another time share and after 5 days he gave up but we had to tell his manager that we were not interested. Oh, and when we asked where the local grocery stores were, they said they were 45min-1h away so we better use the small one in the lobby (expensive) and we later decided to find out where the real stores were - 20-30min drive at max.

If you are a time share owner thinking about trading your unit to come here, try a different property (I think the Royal has a newer property at Playa del Carmen that looks better than this one, we might try that one in the future). If you are going to rent the units like it's a hotel, don't stay here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Luciana-Austin
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm sorry to read about the sales reps being too pushy. I've already forwarded your comment to sales management, so they can follow up on it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Having said that, I'm glad you like The Royal Haciendas in Playa del Carmen / Riviera Maya and would be delighted to welcome you there anytime.

I hope you return to enjoy the Royal Resorts soon. Until then, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed December 25, 2010

Since this is a time share that you can book as a hotel for short stays, the rooms all have two queens, an alcove with microwave, frig. and coffeemaker, and a walk--in closet with safe. All the rooms face the pool area and ocean. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. The property is beautifully kept. \Tthe only drawback for some is that because it is a time share, it is not "all-inclusive", and you need to make or buy your meals. The hotel has several restaurants which are very pricy ($16 breakfasts). There is a grocery store on the property, but it is limited and very expensive. My suggestion would be to take a bus or taxi to one of the many restaurants in Cancun. I was traveling alone, but it is a great family place, with special programs and areas for children. Lots of honeymooners were around, too--a good place for all.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank lorettam55
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm glad to read you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Caribbean. Thank you for the kind words and your recommendation.

Yes, the Royal Resorts are not all inclusive, and this is something many members and guests like. I've personally seen quite a few comments stating that they'd rather spend a great time with the quality of service at Royal Resorts even if it costs more, than saving a few dollars in less than great all inclusive quality at other places. I think it all depends on what you're looking for.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 24, 2010

This me and my husband first time to Cancun; and the Royal was a wonderful resort to start my return to HOME! The staff said welcome home and it felt like I never left wonderful staff outstanding clean resort, rooms! We had a blast time... if u go to Cancun stay here and go on the Caribbean Carnival Booze Cruise. In addition u must eat at Captain Cove. If I could leave tomorrow I be on the first flight back to Cancun. Our outstanding assistant for our stay was Cali -thanks for all your help

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Caribbean and that the service of our hard working staff made you feel right at home.

Thank you for your recommendations, and I'll be sure to forward your comments about Cali to his manager, to compliment him for a job well done.