“Good value, not super luxurious”

The Royal Caribbean
Ranked #37 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I found a great deal on a room for two nights ($99/night with breakfast buffet included), so given the low price, I shouldn't really complain about much. We stayed for Sunday & Monday nights in mid-November.

I will start with the good. The view from our room was pretty amazing, and given that every room here faces the ocean, I have to imagine you can't get a room with a bad view. It took 30 seconds to walk to the very well-kept beach from our room. We never had a problem finding beach lounge chairs. Check in and check out were smooth and quick, despite many other reviews to the contrary. No one tried to pitch us on anything, we were left to our own devices as soon we were given the key. The grounds are very well manicured. The room was spacious and very clean. We never had any trouble using the wifi. They tell you up front the network is not fast enough to Skype, watch YouTube, etc., but browsing worked just fine.

Some of the bad isn't really that bad, just not for us. We are in our very early 30s, and at times felt like the youngest people in the resort. This is definitely a more 40s-60s crowd. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does affect the vibe and atmosphere. You could hear a pin drop at night. The overall decor seemed, to us, to be a bit dated. As for the room, I can't even say there WAS any decor. Plain beige bedspreads, beige curtains, beige walls, no artwork. Not a huge deal since we didn't spend much time there, but some updates would be nice. While the breakfast buffet was decent, the food at the La Cabana bar was pretty bad. The nachos and ceviche were worse than you'd find in a bad Mexican chain restaurant in the States. Plus the whole bar constantly smelled like popcorn (due to the popcorn machine). And now the worst: they close the beach at 5pm. Made everyone get out of the ocean and everything. Who closes a beach at 5pm??? We tried to take a dip at about 4am after a night at Coco Bongo, only to be busted by some guy with a flashlight. Superlame.

I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars, but since we didn't run into any real issues and the "cons" were more a matter of taste/preference, I'm giving them a 4. Probably wouldn't return unless we were just looking for a cheap place to crash for a few hours though.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer M
There are newer reviews for The Royal Caribbean

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed for 2 1/2 weeks and had a couple join us for one week. They had never been to Cancun and were amazed at how beautiful the rooms and entire facility was. We ate at five of the restaurants and they loved the quality and choices of food as well as the friendly staff at each of the restaurants. We were close to so many activities including golf courses, shopping and well operated parks.

Room Tip: Plan your spa services early so you can set the times you want to use them.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We just came back from a lovely vacation at the The Royal Carribbean....and can't find a bad thing to say. The hotel has fabulous views from every room, the rooms were extremely clean, well laid out, and very comfortable beds. But what makes the hotel really is the staff, they are by far the most professional and happy group of all of the Royal chain that we have stayed at. The Head Chef in the dining room....well, if I could adopt him and take him home I would (haha). Truly lovely meals at a fair price. I don't think we would venture out anywhere else - in short we will be back, loved every minute of it. Thank you to all of the staff!!!

Room Tip: No need to worry, all have ocean front views!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jograff
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Staff is friendly, the place is clean but we had ants in the kitchen. Pools are very nice, no hot tub, beaches are very clean. All in all we loved it. Wi Fi is terrible, just that would be great if you could communicate back home. Food is great at restaurants on the grounds.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Les B
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel is in a wonderful location with great views from the rooms. I stayed for 2 nights mid week in November 2013 and then for 1 night, Sunday night later the same week. The internet was hopeless. I was able to connect but the service was so slow that most sites timed out. I was unable to pick up emails, and I couldnt check in to my flight on-line. I was forced to go to the shop and log on to their PC. To not have operational Wifi in this day is inexcusable. I couldnt research activities for the next day and my next destination, was unable to check in to my flight, and because I couldnt check emails was not informed of a shcedule change for my flight.
The airconditioner in my room was exceedingly noisy.
Water leaked into my room under an adjoining door. When i checked there was a towel placed against the external door for this adjoining room. Clearly there was a problem they already knew about, but did not warn me that anything I left on the floor may get wet.
The first non-smoking room I was given reeked of cigarette smoke and I was lucky they could move me to a different room.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank eveinwa
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have read a couple of negative reviews on the Royal Caribbean and it sure as hell does not sound like the resort we stayed for two weeks in. Every single person in the staff were great. The rooms and the views were fantastic. Beach and pool staff were great. Of course like every timeshare they are going to try and sell you their next adventure. But all we had to say was no to our "concierge" Mr. Jorge Araujo which by the way happened to make our stay at the resort fantastic. We weren't bother about time share after that. I would definitely recommend this resort to a everybody. As a matter of fact. Planning to return next year with about 10 couples

Room Tip: Wife and I had a villa on the 7th floor and on the fifth floor for the two weeks we stayed. both had...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank runningbadwolf
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We booked a 2 night stay and pre-paid everything, Upon Arrival we were told "there is no booking under your name" they said that they were unable to organise anything for us until we emailed the reception desk our reservation slip. We obliged which was difficult as the wifi network drops in and out constantly throughout the entire hotel. Once this was done we waited a further half hour while the receptionists attempted to serve other people, and then a further 15 minutes while they called somebody to organise our booking, Once the call was over they said "just wait an hour or so for them to call back". We had plans so we said we are going to move on please have the room ready for us when we return. We returned 6 hours later and went through a similar ordeal that lasted for over an hour. We were eventually given a room, but told that we must change rooms the next morning. We had to cancel our tour that had already been paid for the next day in order to organise the room change as they were totally unwilling to provide any assistance with this, we asked if we could pack our bags and leave them in the room for somebody to move, but alas this was not possible. I might add that all of the bellhops watched as we carried all of our own bags upstairs and found our own room.

The next day we left our room at the required time and were then told "your other room is not ready yet. you can put your bags in it yourself if you like but we are not responsible for their safety".

Although it may not sound like it, we were courteous to all of the staff at all times, but found them to be extremely short, rude and unhelpful. The most professional workers were the cleaners and the guy in the cafe.

Aside from the poor service the wifi is not really functional. ie. impossible to Skype or use youtube etc.

The pool is nice and also the view, the rooms are decent but all in all I would recommend staying elsewhere. There are similar hotels all along this strip with much better service.

I will never stay at a royal hotel again. If you read more reviews you will see these same complaints occurring over and over.

Room Tip: Don't pay for anything until you have a written guarantee that you will not have to change rooms...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple