I found a great deal on a room for two nights ($99/night with breakfast buffet included), so given the low price, I shouldn't really complain about much. We stayed for Sunday & Monday nights in mid-November.
I will start with the good. The view from our room was pretty amazing, and given that every room here faces the ocean, I have to imagine you can't get a room with a bad view. It took 30 seconds to walk to the very well-kept beach from our room. We never had a problem finding beach lounge chairs. Check in and check out were smooth and quick, despite many other reviews to the contrary. No one tried to pitch us on anything, we were left to our own devices as soon we were given the key. The grounds are very well manicured. The room was spacious and very clean. We never had any trouble using the wifi. They tell you up front the network is not fast enough to Skype, watch YouTube, etc., but browsing worked just fine.
Some of the bad isn't really that bad, just not for us. We are in our very early 30s, and at times felt like the youngest people in the resort. This is definitely a more 40s-60s crowd. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does affect the vibe and atmosphere. You could hear a pin drop at night. The overall decor seemed, to us, to be a bit dated. As for the room, I can't even say there WAS any decor. Plain beige bedspreads, beige curtains, beige walls, no artwork. Not a huge deal since we didn't spend much time there, but some updates would be nice. While the breakfast buffet was decent, the food at the La Cabana bar was pretty bad. The nachos and ceviche were worse than you'd find in a bad Mexican chain restaurant in the States. Plus the whole bar constantly smelled like popcorn (due to the popcorn machine). And now the worst: they close the beach at 5pm. Made everyone get out of the ocean and everything. Who closes a beach at 5pm??? We tried to take a dip at about 4am after a night at Coco Bongo, only to be busted by some guy with a flashlight. Superlame.
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars, but since we didn't run into any real issues and the "cons" were more a matter of taste/preference, I'm giving them a 4. Probably wouldn't return unless we were just looking for a cheap place to crash for a few hours though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Caribbean(R) Nestled between a magnificent stretch of powder-white sand and lovingly tended tropical gardens, our two resorts offer an exceptional collection of services... And twice the fun. Escape to paradise. Sink your toes into soft white sand that's always cool to the touch and listen to the murmur of the waves. Start the day with a swim in the pool, work out in the gym or sign up for tennis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The Royal Caribbean reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Caribbean Hotel Cancun
- Royal Caribbean Hotel Cancun
- Cancun Caribbean Resort Royal
- Royal Caribbean Resort Cancun
- Royal Carribean
- Caribbean Royal