“Frustrated Long term member”

The Royal Caribbean
Ranked #36 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Frustrated Long term member”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I had a great week, but that was all erased on checkout.

I have been a long time member and have seen several changes over the years. Restaurants good food as always, but prices are going out of the roof. Annual fees have tripled since we purchased. Events have diminished. They will be selling the property in 5 years per contract, and are pressing to sell at their new facilities, might be the reason.

They charged me for a towel that was stolen from my daughter, within 5 minutes of entering the pool. There was NO empathy from the staff or management, just got blown off. This showed no respect for long term members. For $10.00 they have lost my support, and likely will not receive future purchases at their facilities.

10 Thank Scott P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Royal Caribbean and the service I received was nothing close to what the Royal Resorts used to provide. I am an owner of a timeshare with the Royal Resorts and have stayed at all Cancun locations. When arriving I expected the same excellent service I had been receiving for years. Much to my surprise the service was unacceptable compared to other years. It appears the amount of staff has been decreased greatly, and the service surely suffers. During my only attempt to use the lobby bathrooms I found it was very dirty and was forced to walk to my room. Additionally at the pool and beach bars i found myself waiting over 30 minutes at times for a drink. A few times this took so long that the mixed drink i ordered finally came and was completely melted. As if this wasn't enough during the middle of the week the ceiling in one room began leaking wetting everything below it and soaking the floor. This is not what i expected from the Royal Caribbean and I am currently unsure what I will do with my timeshare for future years. I am very unhappy with my last trip which was July 6th - July 13th and hopefully will never have another experience similar to it.

6 Thank Paul N
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We came on an exchange with Interval and our home time share. We enjoyed the location and the fact they had 3 resorts next to one another. (Although the Mayan is going away in December). The pools were great and our room overlooked the ocean which was great for boogie boarding and watching the turtles come ashore at night to lay eggs.

Here are our observations...

Pros:
-great pools and pool bars
-rooms were clean and very spacious
-having multiple resorts was great as we had lots of choices for restaurants and pool spots
-beach was great and they had plenty of chairs to use-great waves
-maid service was great
-full functioning kitchen so you could cook your own meals
-on site markets (at each resort) to get groceries- don't bother with Walmart- it's 2 hour round trip to save a couple of bucks.
-everyday at 3 to 6 at pool bars they have half price drinks
- they have pottery painting at each resort. It was fun and the pieces are touched up by the staff and come out amazing
-restaurants were very good and the staff was very attentive
- resort has been kept up and the staff is always working to keep it look nice

Cons:
-the concierge service is great to use, but keep in mind they are there to push time shares. We got a lot of pressure to attend a "no hassle" tour. Even after numerous no's we still had to tell our concierge to back off. That was the biggest negative to our entire trip- they want you in one of the tours. So be firm if you aren't interested
-the mixed drinks seemed a little weak
-the beds were very firm, so if you like it that way.. You will enjoy. We thought a little to firm

Overall, it was a great resort. Cancun in general is getting expensive, so plan for spending tourist dollars for everything.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Really liked this hotel. The beach is amazing, good for swimming, there are enough palapas for all guests (at least when I was there, in the end of June). The pool area is amazing. There is a small supermarket inside the hotel, which I found to be very helpful. Concierge was also very helpful and I booked several tours with them. My only complaints are: (i) there is no jacuzzi in the pool area, like in other resorts; and (ii) although the small kitchen in the room was a bonus (that I wasn't aware of when I first booked the hotel and really liked it), the maid is not supposed to clean it or do the dishes and you have to do it yourself (otherwise you're subject to a USD 75 penalty). It was no big deal, but I would rather have the maid clean it just like everything else. BTW, it is a time sharing facility as others have said but with all the conveniences of a hotel (there is no shampoo in the bathroom, so what? bring your own). I found no trouble in it. I didn't go under any pressure to buy a timeshare (maybe because I was solo? anyway, great that I didn't). All in all, I really liked the hotel and would certainly stay there again and recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: get a room with a view, it's worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank travellerSPBR
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Did a solo trip to the Royal Caribbean for rest and relaxation and it more than exceeded my expectations. I had a room on the 9th floor in building D which looks directly onto the pool and ocean. I was looking for peace and quiet and I found it there. The beach and the pool areas were not crowded and I was able to go out on my balcony (Booked the 1 bedroom suite. Well worth the extra money) at any time of the day or night and just relax. If you are looking for a party atmosphere, this is not the resort for you. However, if you want a lovely, relaxing and quiet resort to unwind, this is perfect. I loved my suite so much that I would eat at the restaurants at Royal Mayan, Royal Caribbean and Royal Islander (the resorts are connected) at lunch and get to go orders that I would reheat in the microwave or oven for my dinner out on the balcony. Check-in and Check-out were smooth and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank herkxena
West Babylon, NY
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I have been going to Cancun for over 33 years, and have been staying at Royal Resorts properties for 30 years. The Royal Caribbean maintains the level of excellence we have grown accustomed to at all Royal Resort properties. This year we stayed one week at the Royal Caribbean and one week at the Royal Mayan, and enjoyed a truly relaxing vacation. The restaurants on-site were very good, although a bit pricey. We found an excellent Thai restaurant in the La Isla mall, and we went to the Argentine Big Steakhouse (as we do every year) for the best steak dinner we have ever had.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cardplay
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Although I did not post any pictures of the resort, the pictures provided are true as shown. My 2 bedroom villa was located in building E which I did not find to be too far to walk to anything. You will need to bring your own shampoo/conditioner. We enjoyed the meals at the onsite restaurant. Wish I would have known this before going to Walmart, don't waste your time the resort convenience store has everything you need and the prices are comparable without the $40 cab fee. The beach is really nice just a little choppy but that has nothing to do with the resort. Parents watch your kids closely when they are in the ocean because of strong undertoe. Quite a few adults had to be rescued for going out too far in high waves.

The pool bar mixed drinks were not very good at least for my taste but that didn't stop others because it was crowded. The pools are very nice and heated but not too hot; evening swims are the best. Tennis courts are a little different from what north Americans are use to. The tennis courts have carpet with sand, I guess to immulate har-tru (the green "clay"), it worked for me and I play a lot. The onsite jewerly store had some really nice pieces and prices where comparable to USA. The laundry room has a lot of machines so there was never a wait and there is an attendent if you want to drop and go.

At night it was quiet and peaceful to sit out on the balcony. Studios don't really have a balony so you may want to consider that when booking your stay.

I would recommed that the resort upgrade the mattresses to pillow top dream beds. The bed was too firm for me.

The resort is rather largest so just be prepated to take your time getting around. If you are looking to step out your room directly into the ocean this is not the resort for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family