New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

The Royal Caribbean
Ranked #37 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Gets better and better....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I was one of those people who went to the Royal Resorts (Royal Mayan 1986) and said "They'll never sell me on one of these timeshares!" And then I went back again, and again, and again.....always as a rental off of Ebay, etc. It took me about a dozen trips to finally say to myself "What the heck am I doing; I love it here...Royal Mayan; Royal Caribbean; Royal Islander". So about 13 years ago, while at the swim up pool bar, I was talking to an owner of four weeks and he told me he was going to sell off two weeks, but offer them to his kids. I gave him my email and said to let me know what happens....thinking I would not hear from him again. Two months later I got an email telling me one daughter bought one week, but he still had one week available at the Royal Caribbean in early May....PERFECT! Worked with him and the sales office, made it all happen, and I have been happily going back to the same villa in Week 19 at Royal Caribbean ever since!!! Always amazing!!!

Room Tip: Every room has a great view of the amazing Caribbean Sea!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Frank M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Virginia Beach, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have just returned from another wonderful stay @ Royal Resorts, although this was our first time at the Caribbean. One of the great benefits of staying here is the availability to move freely between the Royal Mayan, Caribbean and Islander for variety of pools, restaurants, activities, etc. The staff are professional and accomodating. Our Oceanview Villa had a great view overlooking the pool and sea. We especially enjoyed the sunrises and our own private "happy hour" on our balcony. If you like a shady, poolside spot I recommend scouting one out early. Our favorite hang out was under the trellis, mid-pool. There are plenty of palapas on the beach, if you prefer. On site concierge and travel specialists are available to provide information and facilitate any excursions...swimming with dolphins, ziplining, scuba, etc. Overall, a great experience...AGAIN!

2 Thank lilnucci
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This Hotel really sucked!!!! We got in Friday evening, got in line and waited for 45 minutes to check in. . There was only 1 person working. Got a room but they had to move us the next day which was fine with me. In order to move from one room to another, I had to get in line again, waited for almost an hour. Everyone was complaining because of the wait. They need more people working at their front desk. I finally complained to one of the concierge, still, he couldn't do anything. Our room was never made or cleaned the whole time we were there. That was for 5 days!!!! Over all, I don't recommend this hotel and being a 5 star hotel, its not worth my stay. I would probably get a better service at a 2 star hotel.

3 Thank ctrilo1
Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

we stayed for 5 nights in May of 2013 in Villa room (bedroom,living-room,kitchen) E1017.
Hotel looked like 30% full (seniors mostly) - there were enough free sunbeds and umbrellas on beach at any time.
Although there is bad noise insulation of buildings everywhere in Mexico, we slept well (until american idiots start talking - even when there are 2m between them, they always speak like hearing-injured)
We had take-away from local Express Bar mostly - fruit salad is very good at noon. There is good snack bar on a road with lagoon's view
Wifi connection is slow. Grocery shop of hotel is overpriced and Oxxo on the road is bad of choice as well.
There are two mayan sites nearby to visit. Buses R1 and R2 drives to downtown (where supermarket, craft market and ferry locates) 30 - 40 min

Room Tip: choose upper floor. In May left wing is better - a little more sun at noon
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DenissFromRiga
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We could not be happier with our time at this resort. It is spotless, the staff is wonderful and the fact that you can use all 5 resorts with your key card adds to variety and fun for all. You must remember this is a time share NOT a hotel so yes that means that the rooms aren't extremely plush but they are clean, comfortable, fully stocked kitchen and a wonderful view no matter what room you are in. We have traded our room at the Royal Caribbean several times for places in Florida, Hawaii, CA and Arizona and none of them have come close to being as nice this place. The beach is the most beautiful one I have ever seen. The red/yellow flags are always up (not sure why) but we swam in the ocean everyday and it was fabulous plus there is a life guard on duty. If you can't have a good time here then you won't be happy anywhere or maybe it was the person you were with????

5 Thank Ann C
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I am a little disappointed in the property. The rooms are very outdated and the lightening in the bathrooms is very dim. I was in Playa del Carmen for a week at the Grand Luxxe before coming here for another week and I can't believe this place is rated almost as high. The difference is like night and day. However, I have to say the grounds and pools are very well maintained. The ocean access and view are top notch. I guess you can't have it all

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was a little nervous at first, but these fears were relieved as soon as we got to the resort. The place is immaculate and well run. The staff could not be nicer or more helpful. There are things at the resort for all ages and cater to families. Check out could not have been easier. Great experience overall!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family