“Great Place”

The Royal Caribbean
Ranked #39 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was our sixth visit at the Royal resorts.
We have always been pleased with the Villas and the friendly staff.

Not sure what All Inclusive will bring next year. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Room Tip: The buffet breakfast is very good but price seems to go up every year.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucille L

Reviewed April 29, 2012

We have been members of the Royal Resorts family for well over 20 years and we go back every year for a reason. The friendly familiar faces and the exceptional customer service is what we look forward to. You are catered to from the minute you walk into the resort until you get in the van to head home. The men and women that work there make you feel like part of the family. If you want, there are activities scheduled throughout the entire day from water aerobics to bingo or if you just want to sit at the pool all day, a staff member will be there with your drink! The atmosphere and ambiance is breathtaking and we couldnt ask for more. We will never stay anywhere other than the Royal Resorts. We love our annual May trip!

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank michelle33461
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We have been coming to the Caribbean for 11 years and always look forward to returning. We love the pools at the Caribbean, but always walk to the Palapa for breakfast & lunch. We especially love eating there in the open air with the ocean views! The mattresses aren't always comfortable. Overall, would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: We always request 9th floor or higher for the views. Particularly like building B
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2012

While the resort was nice, and the general staff (e.g. house keepers, wait staff) the sales staff, concierge and travel planners were rude, and in the case of the travel planners flat out lied. I have filled a complaint with the Mexican government.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jeffrey B
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Caribbean, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

I'm sorry to read that you felt having received poor service from our staff; I tried contacting you personally to get more information about the issues you mention but unfortunately I never heard back from you. Without more information about what happened, it is difficult for us to follow up and see where we can improve our service.

Best regards from Cancun,

Camilo Olea
Community Manager
Royal Resorts

Reviewed April 27, 2012

I went solo on this trip and had a nice time. The room was clean and spacious, and I had an ocean/pool view (I think that most higher floor rooms do). The only cons were that my phone didn't consistently work (a problem in an emergency situation) and the bathtub took forever to drain. Also, they didn't provide you with any mini shampoos/conditioners. Not a huge issue, but had I known I would have brought mine from home.

The staff was friendly, although it seemed to catch them off guard to actually have someone traveling alone. And my only wish was that upon check in they took a moment to explain the options available for in-house activities (pottery, tennis, etc etc). I loved my beach/pool time, but I continued to discover activities I could have been doing, as well. I never had a problem finding a lounge chair at either the pool or the beach, although the resort was definitely not packed when I was there. Could imagine it being a problem during busier times.

I took the shortcut tour to Chichen Itza through Thomas Moore (the resorts' guides), which I highly recommend. Only negative was that it was quite pricey, but it was a great way to see the site, and we arrived before many of the tourist buses did. There are quite a few options to see Chichen Itza, but this was convenient for me and left from the hotel. Left at around 6:15A, and you were back by about 3:30P. There were about 10 of us in the van, and we had our own guide who was great.

The food was good overall, but for the price I would have expected something of higher quality. They did have a nice market on-site - a mini grocery store that had a lot of options. And I had a fridge and microwave in my room, so I could eat breakfast there. I also ate at the expensive Captain's Cove across the street, which had great fish dishes that I thought was worth the price (sauteed grouper!). It's also conveniently located next to a drug store and convenience store (with prices a little cheaper than those at the resort, obviously).

Saw a wide-range of people - families, friends, couples, and some solo travelers. Ages ranged from babies to those in their 80's, which was great to see.

The grounds were well maintained - someone was always working on something! But the plants were cared for, the buildings kept up, and the beach was clean.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank cdotravel
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We went as two couples and had a great time. Our main excursions were with Edventures and
highly recommend them. We also booked some through Thomas Moore at the resort. We enjoyed the steak and lobster dinner cruise on a sailboat.

We atended a breakfast provided by our conceirge (time share shark) and were taken aback when we were told to leave a tip.

The resort was clean and the staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor for better views. There are limited elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2012

WE traded for 3 x 2 bedroom villas through Interval International for a week long vacation with our 3 kids and both sets of our parents. From the moment we got there the staff was incredibly accomodating. The manager on duty, Pedro Chi Chanche, was fantastic and went out of his way to get the 3 villas in close proximity to each other. The villas were awesome, the resort was immaculate and the beach was fantastic. A vacation to remember and my sincere thanks to the resort staff for a great week.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family