“Relaxing Vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
connecticut
“Relaxing Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2007

I just got back from the Royal Carribean where my family members own a time share. They have been going for years and this was the first time I was able to go. I was not disappointed. The pool area is gorgeous. They have a swim up bar, waiters, resturants, and so much more. My favorite was happy hour and playing bingo at 3 pm.

The water is crystal clear. Since there is a bad undertow I was afraid to go swimming but did go into the water to cool off. The pool was my favorite though in the hot sun. I really liked that there was a kiddie pool seperate from the main pool so it was more relaxing. I also loved that you can use the Islander and Royal Mayans pools, resturants etc. It was like 3 resorts in 1!

The rooms were fantastic. We were on the 11th floor with an amazing view of the pool and the water. I have cousin who stayed in the ocean front suites and said they liked our side view better because we got both the pool and the ocean not just the ocean. We had a suite that sleeps 6 people. My sister and I as guests stayed on the pull out beds in the living room. They were really comfortable.

I loved painting and all the activities they offered. I never felt like I was in danger or anything it was super safe. My uncle who has been going there for 15 years complained that his fridge and stove were old and still there from 15 years ago and the next day they delivered new appliances right out of the box! They had great service and did everything to accomodate you.

Negatives: The beach is difficult to get to from the pool. I like to go back and forth but since you have to take elevators etc. it was pick one or another for that day. Also since I am in my early twenties I would have liked to be closer to malls, resturants, etc. I know that the Royals provide transportation which is great, and we had a rental car so had no problem but if you dont want to take shuttles or rent a car I would recommend the Royal Sands for its location. Also they charge a fee to use the work out room, not a big deal but just an fyi.

My sister did not like the food at the tradewinds but I found the grilled chicken sandwhiches to be amazing. You also have a grocery store right in the hotel to buy anything you want! We did not get sick at all during the vacation.

The vacation was great. I really enjoyed venturing out and seeing cancun, going to the malls etc. Make sure you go on an excursion and see the town! I defintely would love to go back to this resort and for the price you definitely can not beat it!

• Liked — views, pool, service, rooms, happy hour, activities
  • Disliked — pay for gym, pool far from beach, food at pool
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank bratty3000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

This hotel was incredible. Every room had a view of the bluest ocean I've ever seen. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The food was delicious, there were many options and room service was a great convenience.

The swimming pools were gorgeous and there was a swim-up pool bar that we utilized a lot. Although 6 of us came here for a college spring break, I would not really recommend it for youth travel. This hotel is perfect for older folks who don't need to be right across the street from the hoppin' Cancun nightlife. We had to take a bus to and from the main bars on the strip, which was not difficult or expensive but we would rather have been able to walk.

We were also pleased with the free tennis courts and the little market on the first floor where we purchased groceries to cook in our kitchen, and booze.

• Liked — The beaches outside the hotel were not rocky like some beaches in Cancun
  • Disliked — Not very close to the main bars
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank illadelph
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2007

We've stayed here for a week in february since 2000. We always look forward to our trip because we have yet to have a negative experience at this resort. It is perfect for our family. We have 2 kids under 5 and we have found the perfect balance of activities and relaxation here.

The pool area winds through the resort with a shallow pool on one end and a deeper pool on the other. The pool is heated now and it is great! It is kept at a temp that is refreshing but not freezing or warm.

The restaurant is good. They have a different theme each night. Lunch is very good as well. My favorite items: The Mexican Steak Sandwich, Grouper Tacos, Black Bean Soup, Tortilla Soup, and Tres Leche Cake. They have a small carry-out/bakery/pizzeria that we used to order pizza or tres leche cakes. We love the bar/food service available on the beach. The drinks are reasonable especially for happy hour.

We stay in a 2 bedroom on the 7th floor. The view is great. The breeze off the ocan in the evening is amazing. They have maid service 6 days a week and it is wonderful. They provide safes for your valuables which we use although we have not had any theft issues. Better safe than sorry. Everything is clean and in good condition. Plenty of room as well.

The Royal Caribbean is in the middle of two other Royal Resorts that you are free to enjoy. Each one has a pool area and restaurants that are great. I believe the restaurants are only open to members and guests. The only time we waited for a table was at El Conquistador and we only waited 5 min. The staff we encountered were friendly, helpful and spoke english very well. There are plenty of activities the we enjoyed as a family. Our favorite is painting small ceramics in a shaded area by the pool. It was relaxing and the kids love it. When you are done, they touch them up and glaze them. They make them look amazing! It is anywhere from $4 to $15 and they make great gifts.

Overall, this is a great resort for families or anyone who wants a fun (but not a bunch of rowdy drunks) and relaxation.

• Liked — Clean, Great Staff, Access to the other Royal Resorts, Dining
  • Disliked — Distance to downtown
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank ludicrous_speed
newjersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2007

The Royal Caribbean is beautiful Just like the pictures only nicer when you see it first hand. the service was great and the entire staff extremely friendly and helpful. the only complaint I have NO AMERICAN EXPRESS CARDS. they do not accept them. ( of course we were not told until we got there) 2nd complaint: their card system. They issue everyone in your room a card that opens your door BUT it is also used to buy from their stores or botique or to dine in any of their facilities.You can not use a credit card or cash while you are a guest in their facilities. This is fine if you are just one family. I was with my daughter and grandson, and as much as I wanted to either buy a gift or something I did not at the resort as I did not want my daughter to get the bill at the end of our stay , showing my purchases.. Reserved most of our shopping to outside the area of the resort, and dined several times out of the resort so I could pick up the tab. New Restaurant Cpt. Cove excellent. . The Myan Ruin tour was superb with an extremely knowlegable guide.he gets 10*. Restaurants in the resort a bit pricey. Breakfast at the Myan is much better than the Royal Caribbean. So go there. Buffet is 12 us dollars per person. Beaches forget about them . If you are going for that nice beach and want to take a plunge in the ocean forget about it. too rocky. Overall I rated this resort 5 as it is clean, fabulous rooms, excellent service. Cancun is not the place I would want to return to as it is highly commercialized, Stores that I can go to in North Jersey or NY and that is not what I go away to see. To me the local flavor got lost somewhere along the way. the only shopping that was the haggle kind was at Market28, and our thanks to the gentleman on the bus to point us in the right direction.

• Liked — It sparkles.Clean/ friendly excellent service, room superb.
  • Disliked — No american Express and the card system for purchases.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank gramibets
Apex, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

Our 2nd visit to Cancun and the Royal Resorts. We own timeshare and have stayed many places. This family of resorts is amazing. This trip we had 2- 2 bedroom units. I loved it! The beach is a little bit of a bummer. The erosion is bad and you can't get in the water at the resort. There are huge boulders that make it to dangerous. You can go to the Royal Sands (on the free shuttle) and utilize the beach. The pools are great- Happy Hour starts at 3pm. Marcos is awesome at the Royal Mayan pool bar. This visit we decided to use the resorts for most of our meals. I was very impressed with the quality of the food and the prices were reasonable for a resort. Next, the service and friendliness is UNBELIEVABLE! The conciere assigned to my units did a fantastic job. Yes, they ask if you want to know about becoming an owner. That is their job. But they don't hassle you about it, like they do at the airport and at many of the resorts. The resort is so CLEAN. They are always cleaning...everywhere you turn every day, staff is cleaning. You will smell musty rooms. People need to understand in Mexico and in the Caribbean that the humidity levels are high and that a lot of things are kept open most of the time. You will not be disappointed at any of the resorts..Royal Islander, Mayan, Sands or Caribbean. We will go again! And Again! And Again!

• Liked — The service.
  • Disliked — The erosion of the beach.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank reneegarland
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2007

Royal Carribean was good bang for your buck. There are nicer places in Cancun but this would be great if you have children vacationing with you. We had a 2 bedroom place which made it nice as we traveled with another couple. The rooms were clean and spacious. The beach is limited there from erosion but you can walk down the hotel zone on the beach and find some great spots. The concierge was great as he left us alone but was there to do things and recommend things for us to do. He even went and got flowers for me to give to my wife. If you are looking for a hot spot to go out then I would recommend staying closer to downtown. There are buses everywhere to take you to places but if you can splurge take cabs or hire a driver. It was a quiet time when we went. The pool is great there and the bar in the pool was a lot of fun. The restaurant is good and the convenience store on the premises is nice to gather things for the day. I would recommend going to Playa del Carmen for a day trip. Great little shops and beach there.

• Liked — Price was right for a week stay
  • Disliked — Too far from all the action and good beaches
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank rij27
Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

Myself and four of my friends (aged 21-23) stayed in the Royal Caribbean and the Royal Islander for two consecutive weeks. It was a fabulous experience. The staff was very helpful and friendly--especially once they found out that we were Canadian. They were very excited about that. If you chose to, you could spend your entire trip inside the resorts: when you stay at the Royal resorts you have access to all of their resorts.

Also, I think it's important to note that they never, EVER pushed people to buy timeshares. They said in the orientation that if you were interested to ask them about it and that they wouldn't say anything else regarding timeshares and they were true to their word. The rooms were beautiful and clean.

• Liked — The staff, the location, the atmosphere, the view, the white sand beaches
  • Disliked — That fact that their beach has jellyfish warnings--ppl swam anyways, but it warned you not to.
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled with friends