We spent the first week of May at the Royal Islander and we were not disappointed. This was my second trip to Cancun, first stay at the Islander. We had a one bedroom villa on the ocean. The living room had two pull-down Murphy beds that were quite comfortable. Our verandah was larger than most I've seen and we spent a lot of time out there listening to the crash of the surf. The ocean here is pretty wild and although we saw people swimming, the red flags were up most of the week.
Everything was easy to get to - the beach, the pool and the lobby were all just a few steps away due to the layout of the property. The prices in the grocery store on site were a little steep but what a convenience and they had a good selection of a lot of things including souvenirs.
There was a separate kiddie pool that was 2' deep; the main pool was sizeable but all of it was 5' deep so it was not possible for all of us to enjoy walking and floating in it as we usually do. The only shade in the pool was under the swim-up bar palapa. There were lots of lounge chairs, and it was usually easy to get one with some shade from an umbrella.
The Royal Islander has 4 other sister properties, and there is a free shuttle bus between them. We were able to visit each property and check out their pool and restaurant areas. Our favorite restaurant was the Hacienda Sisal at the Royal Sands. The meals were served in such an elegant manner and everything was delicious. It was reminiscent of a Mexican or Spanish hacienda form older times. Be sure to specify you want to see the show as well as eat dinner so you are allowed in the main dining area.
We took the city bus to the Flea Market downtown, that was quite the experience. Be prepared to fend off some pretty aggresive salespersons!
The Royal Islander was very enjoyable, I'd definitely stay there again. I don't believe they have an all-inclusive option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Islander(R)is nestled on the beach and offers enchanting views of the Caribbean and the Nichupte Lagoon. Seek a moment of solitude at sunrise and enjoy blissful hours in the warm sun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Islander All Suites Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Islander Hotel Cancun
- Royal Islander Hotel Cancun