“A Great Place to Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Rochester, NY
“A Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed May 7, 2007

We spent the first week of May at the Royal Islander and we were not disappointed. This was my second trip to Cancun, first stay at the Islander. We had a one bedroom villa on the ocean. The living room had two pull-down Murphy beds that were quite comfortable. Our verandah was larger than most I've seen and we spent a lot of time out there listening to the crash of the surf. The ocean here is pretty wild and although we saw people swimming, the red flags were up most of the week.
Everything was easy to get to - the beach, the pool and the lobby were all just a few steps away due to the layout of the property. The prices in the grocery store on site were a little steep but what a convenience and they had a good selection of a lot of things including souvenirs.
There was a separate kiddie pool that was 2' deep; the main pool was sizeable but all of it was 5' deep so it was not possible for all of us to enjoy walking and floating in it as we usually do. The only shade in the pool was under the swim-up bar palapa. There were lots of lounge chairs, and it was usually easy to get one with some shade from an umbrella.
The Royal Islander has 4 other sister properties, and there is a free shuttle bus between them. We were able to visit each property and check out their pool and restaurant areas. Our favorite restaurant was the Hacienda Sisal at the Royal Sands. The meals were served in such an elegant manner and everything was delicious. It was reminiscent of a Mexican or Spanish hacienda form older times. Be sure to specify you want to see the show as well as eat dinner so you are allowed in the main dining area.
We took the city bus to the Flea Market downtown, that was quite the experience. Be prepared to fend off some pretty aggresive salespersons!
The Royal Islander was very enjoyable, I'd definitely stay there again. I don't believe they have an all-inclusive option.

• Liked — The verandah was huge
  • Disliked — Needed more dresser drawers to store our clothes.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
11 Thank sgcruise52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed May 4, 2007

We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the 3rd floor. The suite was very nice and well maintained. Furnishings were not brand new but were still very nice. Marble floors, fully equipped kitchen with stove, fridge, dish-washer,etc., The bedrrom was large also with a large walk in closet. And it had a great large changing area next to the bathroom. We were in a unit kind of set back from the ocean, would have prefered to be closer but still had somewhat of a view.

It is nice that all 3 Royal Resorts are connected - it is very easy to walk to them all. We did take the shuttle to the Royal Sands one day and spent the day at their pool and beach. The Sands is huge and very nice. Definitely spend one day at their pool, it is a lot different then the other 3 much smaller Royal resorts. The Royal Sands also offers a much better beach then the other 3. The Royal Islander, Carribean and Mayan resorts have a much smaller beach and it a lot rockier. But the water is still amazing no matter where you are. It is so blue, it is breath taking!

We took the bus everywhere, it is so simple and only costs 65 cents. We traveled to Playa Del Carmen also by bus. Don't pay a $60 cab ride. Hop on the main bus into downtown (30 minutes) and then buy a $4 bus ticket from main terminal to Playa Del Carmen (40 minutes). So easy!

We ate at Captains Cove across the street. Food was average but they do have a live band that starts at 10pm every night that was worth checking out. We also ate at the Thai Restaurant in the La Isla mall. Definitely pay it a visit you will not be dissapointed. All tables are mirrored to look like you are in a tree house. We ate near the bar and our backdroup was the large glass windows of the aquariaum with dolphins swimming behind us...it was very cool. We also at dinner at 100% Natural (amazing food) and Lorenzillos (good steak and lobster - sit outside near the water).

Overall we were very pleased with our resort. We liked our pool better then the Mayan or Carribean. The staff was friendly and helpful. We would definitely visit again, but maybe next time at the Sands for something different.

• Liked — Swim Up Bar, Pool and the Blue Ocean Water
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Sunandfun24
Prospect, Kentucky
Reviewed April 30, 2007

Traveling to Cancun, I expected party-crazed nights and log-jammed beaches. If you're into that type of experience, Cancun definitely has some areas you'll like. If you're into the opposite atmosphere (as am I) stay at one of the Royal Resorts (Islander, Carribean, Mayan, Sands and now Haciendas).

I stayed at the Royal Islander and was blown away by the service. Every attendant was polite and if he/she couldn't help you, they'd find someone who could. They provided a multitude of activities (many of which were complimentary) and quite possibily the best maid service I've ever experienced. The rooms were pristine each and every day.

The facilities themelves were very nice, with a multitude of pools, restaurants, sun decks, work-out stations and travel agent services. Each Resort has an individual market store with very reasonable prices for food, beverages, alcohol, cigars, etc... As far as rooms, I am biased. In my opinion, I stayed in the perfect beach front room. Each Royal resort has a section of rooms that are directly ocean-front. Of these, the bottom-floor rooms have direct access onto well kept/groomed grassy knolls that lead directly to the beach. They have large patios suitable for sitting and watching the waves. I spent many hours doing that, with a drink in hand. Perfecto. The inside was very spacious with ample room for at least six persons. I cannot comment on the other rooms, but can only imagine the ones facing the pool were not as good.

I am a tough grader when it comes tripadvisor, but also submit my review based upon MY experience. My experience was a definitive five (5). If I had stayed in a non-ocean front room, it may have dipped to a four (4), but then again maybe not. If you're into relaxing in Cancun, this is your place.

I recommend taking a day trip down to Tulum (Mayan ruins) if time permits, and I also recommend Macabo (I think that's the correct spelling), a restaurant next to the Riu close to Cancun's Hotel Zone Convention Center. Good food right on the water for a reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank Worldtravel41
Beaufort
Reviewed April 21, 2007

We stayed at the Royal Islander as I was attending a conference at the Royal Mayan. Knowing little about timeshares or the Royal Resorts, I booked a villa through the conference . We were extremely pleased with our stay. Our unit was on the seventh floor with a breathtaking view over the pool to the blue/emerald ocean. The unit was impecably maintained and appointed with marble floors and bathrooms. The beds and linens were comfortable and clean. The kitchen was well equipped. A visitor could buy food and cook in the villa or just warm up leftovers from the previous night's dinner.

Service was excellent, although they do pester you somewhat to see the timeshare presentation. The staff was always friendly and seemed to be constantly cleaning and maintaining the facilities. Your room key acts as a charge card as the resort is cashless during the week of your stay. They have a small convenience/grocery store in each of the three connecting Royal Resorts (Royal Islander, Royal Caribbean, and Royal Mayan). The selection and prices are very reasonable, including happy hour frozen drinks for about $2 (US).

While you could enjoy your entire stay without leaving the Royal Resorts, the facilities are on the bus line which are quick, frequent, and very cheap. Travel to any of the restaurants, shopping, or clubs along the Cancun Hotel Zone or downtown is easy and safe.

The Resort has an on-campus travel agency through which you can book your tours and transportation to and from the airport. They have many excellent tours to places around Cancun or you can just hang out at the pool and beach like we did for a week of relaxation. Security is excellent and the Resort provides a free shuttle between The Royal Sands and the other Royal Resorts including their two great restaurants, The Captain's House and Hacienda Sisal. I highly recommend both places for good service and food.

Our only complaint during our 7 day stay was our scuba diving experience with "Scuba Cancun". While the divemasters were friendly and helpful, the equipment was old and of questionable safety. My 15 year old daughter and I missed both dives of a 2-tank dive because of faulty equipment. I will give them credit that the travel agency and owner of "Scuba Cancun" company seemed concerned and we were refunded our trip fee for the 2 of us that could not dive because of the equipment.

You will not be disappointed at the Royal Islander, although the Royal Sands may be newer with the same high level of service. If you go, contact the Thomas More Travel agency in Cancun to arrange pickup the airport.

• Liked — High level of service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Zzdoc
Moseley, Va
Reviewed April 17, 2007

This was a fabulous vacation. We had a ride to and from the airport using the resort. It was $17 each way for 2 people. You can book that straight thru the hotel. Just ask for Thomas Moore Travel Agency or use the resorts website to set it up. They take care of everything. We were treated so nice. They truly know how to make you feel at home. We had a lock off unit with 2 double beds. It was plenty of space for the two of us but he balcony was small. I would have loved to been able to put chairs on it at night and enjoy the view. It's really only big enough to stand on. The maid service was great...everything is top notch. Very clean, Very safe. All three Royal propertys are connnected so you can use all three from the pools, stores, restaurants, etc. They have a free shuttle service that can also take you to all the Royal properties. The Royal resort called "Sands" has a restaurant in front called "Sisal" It was the best ever !!! Everything is priced very fairly. We had no problems at all and felt very safe using the public bus system--only 65 cents per person. We also had a fabulous dinner at the Captians Cove. We have never been treated so well. We would definatley go back. Be careful when playing in the ocean. The waves are big and the undertow is strong. We were told someone loses their life every week in the ocean. We took two little trips while we were there. We did the Snorkeling Adventure in Puerto Morelos--It was all day and they feed you the best food ever. Well worth it. -- We also took a boat over to Isla Mujeres (means Island of women) - It was okay--nice boat ride--neat to see- very poverty riden there-I felt sad for the people who lived there. It has alot of interesting history but seeing it one time is plenty. I've been to Cancun before and highly reccomend the Jungle Tour at Aqua World. You get to drive your own speed boat out to a reef and snorkel. It was one of my favorite things to do while there. I wish we had of did it again but we just didn't have time to do everything. Any questions feel free to ask---Sharigendron@hotmail.com--

• Liked — Clean, Safe, fairly priced, easy !!
  • Disliked — Wish the room had of had 2 queen beds instead of double size -- balcony too small in the lock off unit -- We had a small frig but needed a toaster and coffee pot.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BusyBusy
Sullivan, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 29, 2007

I have to admit i was hesitant about going to this resort because my family has always gone the all inclusive route. When my boyfriend's grandparents offered a week of their time share to us i figured i'd give it a shot.
The resort was very well kept and maintained. It was a little bare (vegetation wise) but I'm sure that was because of the hurricane a year ago. Theres a lot of shade by the pool which can be a good and bad thing - just depends on your preference. But dont worry there are spots for sunshine too. Just make sure that you get out there early enough to claim your spots. They will fill up before lunch time.
Food was pretty good on the resort too. Being able to go the other Royal Resorts made it pretty effortless to mix up your dining experience. We only went for dinner off the resort one night - just because we figured we should do it for the experience. Everything is right at the hotels for you....
If youre looking for a relaxing (not party) type of vacation this is a great place for it. Median age group at this resort had to be around 45.

• Liked — The huge belcony
  • Disliked — lack of landscape
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank Muddytoes81
Michigan
Reviewed March 18, 2007

We are owners at the Mayan Palace in the Mayan Riviera and deposited our week with the San Francisco Exchange Company. We exchanged for a week at the Royal Islander, one of five Royal Resorts in Cancun and did not regret the decision once we got there. Although the resorts are much smaller than the Mayan Palace, there were three resorts that were side by side (Royal Mayan, Caribbean and Islander). We had access to all the amenities of all five resorts, thus giving the impression of a mega resort.

The grounds are very lush, beautiful and immaculately maintained. The pools were heated, spacious and clean...and there were always plenty of lounge chairs which were very comfortable. You are able to check out free lifevests for the children, swim masks/goggles, towels, and flippers from the activity desk. If you have kids that aren't strong swimmers what a blessing it is to have those lifevests available. My son is seven, which is too big for the kiddie pool, but the regular pool is over his head. When he got tired we just put the vest on him and he could swim for hours if he wanted to...literally.

The two bedroom Villa is HUGE. It was immaculate and extremely clean. I even took a bath in the tub and it was spotless. There was plenty of room and the furnishings were well maintained and all in neutral colors. I normally don't prefer such a bland color palette but I found that it was very soothing. The beds were a bit hard, as they all are in Mexico, but there was a convoluted mattress pad that made it a bit comfier. The only problem with the Villa that I had was when I took a shower, the water temperature wouldn't remain consistent. That is my one and only complaint and it really wasn't that bothersome.

We had groceries delivered to our room (kitchen stuffers) before we arrived. It was so wonderful to check into our room and find stuff for sandwiches and snacks waiting for us. We didn't even have to venture out for dinner the first night, and in the morning I cooked bacon, eggs and toast with coffee and orange juice. Wonderful. They supply you with coffee filters and dishwasher tablets so you are all set there. You will find everything you need to cook a nice meal in the kitchen area including a blender and microwave, full stove and refridgerator. It was perfect.

The balcony is enormous! There was a table with four cushioned chairs on one end, and on the other end there were two loungers, 2 foot stools and a table in between. We had such a lovely view of the pool, gardens and ocean in one great shot. The layout of the resort is perfect for spectacular views no matter which Villa you are in. We LOVED the large funished balcony because Mayan Palace barely has a balcony you can stand on and that is one of our major complaints. Bravo for the balcony at Royal Resorts!

We ate at several of the restaurants on-site at each of the resorts and found the food to be very tasty and very reasonably priced. I doubt anyone could complain. Paco Taco's has a very unique burrito that I would recommend to anyone. It has chunks of avacado and onion/pepper in it, and it was just really unique and tasty...I've never had a burrito quite like it. The chicken chimichangas are also delicious. We went to the italian buffet at the Royal Carribean and it was outstanding. Highly recommend.

I had the great pleasure of getting a spa package at the Royal Sands with two aromatherapy massages and a facial. Spa packages include the whirlpool, heat sauna, steamroom and aromatherapy room that you take on a circuit before your treatments. There are also fruit bowls with bananna's and apples as well as two different refreshing drinks (tea, chloraphyl and another red drink I couldn't identify). The bathrooms have complimentary mouth wash dispensers, shower caps, shaving cream and razors. The showers have aromatherapy shampoo and bodywash dispensers. I can definately say that I received two of the best massages I have ever had before. Hands down, they were the best. The facial was a little different than I expected but still nice. If you have extra money to spend on your trip, I would not hesitate to recommend the spa at the Royal Sands...it was first class all the way and the rates are very, very reasonable. For $218 I got two massages and a facial. You simply can't beat the spa packages and they are heavenly.

My husband and son took the time to visit the ceramic craft painting activity and for $12 each, they handpainted two picture frames which were later embellished by the workers and kiln fired I would imagine. They turned out beautifully and it was such a nice treat to have a souvineur that we created. I would recommend this activity for sure.

Royal Resorts provides free shuttle service on nice air conditioned busses between all five resorts. They run either every 1/2 hr, hour, or two hours depending on which resort you are going to. We used this service a lot, and boy was it ever convenient.

The best thing about Royal Resorts is the service. The service was outstanding and we were treated like family by every single employee at our resort, and the other four resorts. The staff were genuinely pleased to help you and they just really seemed to love their jobs there. That tells me a lot because if you have good management and a happy staff, you are going to have very happy customers. I can't stress enough how important customer service is, and Royal Resorts receives an A+ in this area. We have stayed at luxe resorts with crappy service and it really ruins your stay no matter how beautiful or exquisite the resort is.

We visited X-caret park for the second time and took our 7 year old son snorkeling in the underground rivers. We weren't sure if he was old enough or if he would chicken out, but he went through with it and it was such a nifty experience. You can not miss X-caret park. If you only do one thing while in Cancun, book this all day excursion. The two hour evening show alone is worth the price you'll pay.

Don't be afraid to use the city busses. They are convenient and cheap at .65 cents per person. La Isla Mall is a great shopping mall and has an aquarium and dolphin show. We went downtown shopping this time around, and there are a lot of booths in the flea market area. Don't be afraid to barter for a better price, they love to negotiate and will usually work with you. If they refuse to negotiate, don't do business with them because there are plenty of others that will barter with you. If you are approached by children selling braided belts and bracelets, whip out your cash and make their day even if you don't want one. They are very poor. Bring lots of ones for tipping. Your tips are always VERY appreciated in Mexico and they will bend over backwards to serve you.

One last note: We used the transfer service provided by Royal Resorts, Thomas Moore Travel Agency, and also booked our X-Caret excursion through them. They are extremely helpful and everything went very smoothly. The minute we got to the shuttle/taxi area after getting our luggage, we had a Thomas Moore Travel Agent snatch us up immediately and take us to our shuttle. I mean, they take care of you RIGHT QUICK and get you to your destination lickity split. Check in was flawless...no wait...no problems. Perfect.

If anyone wants to know, I'm pretty picky about my resorts and I just could not find anything to complain about. There just wasn't anything I was dissatisfied with, and that's the truth. I'll give my experience with Royal Resorts a five star rating. I always read the tripadvisor reviews before I book anything, and sure enough, they are true. I didn't read one single bad review on the Royal Resorts and my good experience seems to reflect everyone else's. Great job!

Any other questions about Cancun or the Royal Resorts please feel free to email me at: edmondsyd@excite.com

• Liked — The huge furnished balcony with an amazing view.
  • Disliked — Color palette of Villa and furnishings a little too neutral for me but it was calming.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family