“Who moved my Beach...”

The Royal Islander All Suites Resort
Ranked #33 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We stayed at the Royal Islander from Jan 31 - Feb 7 this year. This was our third visit to the "tri-royals" in Cancun" (I have benefited immensly from information on TA and wanted to give a little something back--this is my first review). We had an oceanfront villa-two bedroom. We love the hospitality and excellent service that we consistently get at Royal Resorts. We also enjoy the option of taking the free shuttle down to the Royal Sands and using the facilities and restaurants at the other adjoining resorts next door to The Islander. Basically you're getting the use of four resorts instead of one--actually five if you take the shuttle down to the newest- Royal Haciendas in Playa DelCarmen.

Please bear in mind that these are "timeshare" resorts, but on the surface function as if they were hotels--your room key is your pass to use all the facilities and restaurants at any of the Royal Resorts-and no, there is no pressure to purchase one.

I give The Royal Islander excellent marks for service, good food, cleanliness, value and friendliness. Enjoyed Happy Hour every day, used the gym, loved that the pools are now heated--it was cool the week we were there, high 60's low 70's. Loved the breakfast buffet at the palapa every morning.

The only negative and it's a big one, is the loss of beach due to erosion started by Hurricane Wilma in 2005. This is the first time we could not swim at the beach at all during the entire week and frankly it was a big disappointment. Obviously, you can't blame this on the resort, but it is a big factor. There was some beach restoration done in 2006 and we did use the beach during our 2007 visit, however this year was the worst we have seen it. The waves break hard and close on the shore and the shoreline-water's edge is mostly covered in boulders. Much of the sand has been washed away. This appears to be the case for many other resorts as well along "the strip." The red flags are posted daily meaning "no swimming allowed." If you were to disregard the warning you may be risking your life-seriously. I asked around the resort and was told that for the most part this is the norm here--no (beach) swimming allowed. As some consolation, you can still walk the beach or sit in loungers and order drinks and take in the beautiful view of aquamarine blue waters and white sand.

The "old" beach was probably the most beautiful beach I ever swam on and sadly, for now it's gone. There is some talk about another government restoration project in the works. This is still a beautiful resort--just don't plan on swimming in the ocean here anytime soon. If swimming in the ocean is important to you...go someplace else :(

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank cliffster

Reviewed December 12, 2008

We traded our timeshare to stay here. I have to say, we were extremely pleased with the Islander. We arrived to the resort around 1 pm. Check in time is not until 4. We filled out their forms upon arrival and were told that the check in time was'nt until 4 however, we could use the resort as we pleased. Within an hour, if not sooner, our personal concierge found us on the property, checked us in and brought our bags to our room. That is service!!! We were put into a 2 bedroom lock off unit that could very easily sleep 8. King size bed and two trundles in the master suite and the lock off had two doubles. Both of course had kitchens. Both had beautiful verandas. Our suite had a perfect view of the ocean and the pool from the backside and a perfect view of the lagoon on the front side. We were in building #4. The grocery store in the hotel has just about everything you could want. Meat, produce, alcohol, clothes etc. Very convinient.

They also have a tour desk and rental car desk located right outside of the lobby. They have thought of everything for their resorts. My only complaint is the restaurants. Not very appealing and I would rather spend my money off property due to the lack of selection or ambiance.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank momoftwoct
Reviewed October 28, 2008

I have a friend who has a timeshare at this resort and was invited to go for the week of Oct. 11-18. I don't have experience staying at other resorts in the area, but Royal Islander was really great. Staff were very friendly and the accommodations were wonderful! The villas are spacious and clean with lots of storage and amenities like a fully equipped kitchen. You can have your villa cleaned every day for a very small gratuity. I've stayed at lots of beachside condos that only offer once a week cleaning - - right before you get there and after you leave. The pool area is fantastic and the waiters are superb. From the comfort of your poolside or beachside chair you can order food and drinks to your heart's content. Every day from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. is happy hour with complimentary chips and salsa to go with your drinks.

Royal Islander is one of five resorts owned by Royal Resorts in Cancun and there is a shuttle that will take you from one resort to another in their chain. You can enjoy the amenities that each resort offers such as the pools, other recreational activities, markets (groceries), spa, boutiques, sports desks, and travel/excursion desks. You can book local activities (snorkeling, fishing, Mayan ruins, diving, fishing, boating, etc.) through the travek/excursion desks or your personal concierge will come to your villa and help you plan your week's activities and book them for you. This kind of service is unparalleled in my travels.

The resort offers scuba demonstrations in the pool and you can book your own lessons leading up to an offshore dive. There are fine restaurants on the premises of the resorts if you don't want to leave the resort area.

All of the resorts have beautiful landscaping and every villa faces the water. The grounds are spotless, the pools are kept clean and the atmosphere was jovial and friendly but not too loud at night even though the pools were open til 10:00 p.m.

There was a meet and greet event to give you an idea of the services offered by the resort, a welcoming party that offered free food and drinks by the pool, and a bye bye party the night before departure.

It's difficult to recall all the great things about the Royal Resorts and Royal Islander in paticular, but I can hardly wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank greenmob
Reviewed October 24, 2008

This timeshare resort is unlike any time shares I have stayed at and I've stayed at a number. Usually time shares provide very little service and interaction between guests and staff. At the Royal Islander we had our own personal concierge who made all our reservations, checked up on us every day and even brought us gifts. The entire staff was there to meet our needs. I was surprised when more than one staff member knew my name after the second day. I have been a Marriott owner for 15 years and have often returned to the same resort but the staff members have never learned my name or provided such personal service.

The units are not as modern or plush as the Marriott units but they are pleasant and clean. The property is well maintained and there is lots to do. Since the "Royals" consist of a number of resorts in Cancun, they provide a convenient shuttle bus to move from one to another. We had dinner at several of the Royal properties and the food was good at all.

My only disappointment was the boulders in the sea and the narrow beach. I was afraid to venture out into the water because I didn't want to hit my legs and feet on the enormous boulders lining the shore.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank supermnj
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We enjoyed a one week stay at the resort Saturday to Saturday, Sept 27 to October 3rd 2008..and a resort it is! My sister in law booked this timeshare through Interval and asked us to come along, so we did. We booked airfare through Jetblue.com from JFK direct to Cancun. It was about $950 for the two of us roundtrip (next time we'll book for a Thursday or Wednesday (Cheaper) and arrange
to stay the 2 nights before the official start of the week (Saturday)
I understand it's about $135 a night.
We're all in our late 50s and 60s so we were interested in having a quiet restful vacation which we did. Take the Thomas Moore bus arrangements for $10 each to and from the hotel so you don't have to deal with all the hawkers at the Airport. Just walk outside and they will have a sign. It's about a 15-20 minute ride to the hotel area which is totally safe.
We were greeting by the "Welcome Team" at the door of the resort with chilled bottled water and met with a gentleman who was assigned to assist us with a brief orientation and settled us in our room. The room was stunning. Polished stone floors, huge balconies and manicured grounds. We had room 4623 2nd floor overlooking the pool and the sea. Great views!! The crowd was older (like us) with couples 30-40 with a few children. The action was at the other resorts Royal Caribbean Royal Mayan and especially the Royal Sands. The Islander, Caribbean and Mayan are all connected and you can use any of the facilities at any of the resorts. The Sands is 2-3 miles down the road and there is a free shuttle for travel within the resorts. There is a city bus(6 pesos .50 cents) to Walmart for supplies and #28 market which is dumpy. There are malls, but we can do that at home so we spent our time reading and relaxing, swimming and eating. This is not an all inclusive resort. They have a sufficient amount of nice restaurants inside the resorts and Captain's Cove (the lobster was overdone) superior service and the Hasienda near the Sands.
We ate our oatmeal and drank our coffee on the balcony for breakfast and had lunch and dinner at the restaurants. Didn't have a bad meal. Enjoyed the food at the El Conquisador in the Mayan the best.
There are 2 things that were slightly annoying (wouldn't stop us from going back) the first is the # of phone calls and conversations with the gentleman from the Resort who, although very nice, was taking up time since we had no interest in purchasing a timeshare. It came to the point where we wouldn't answer the phone and 5 minutes later he would be knocking on our door. (Even with our do not disturb sign out)
One day he found us at the pool and we had to be rude and asked him not to continue to pester us. That was on Tuesday and we didn't hear from him or anyone else for the rest of the week.
The second is the noise level of the air conditioning units. They can't do anything about it now but they don't have a LOW setting. You set the temperature and it's either on or off. Had to watch the debates turning up the sound when it when on and lower it when it went off. (Not a deal killer)
We took a tour of Chitzinita (spelling??) It was all day, if you're into that sort of Mayan history and temples etc you'll be in your glory. If I knew what I was getting into I wouldn't have gone, but other people in our party loved it.
The weather was a bit overcast and extremely humid the first 2 days, but cleared up, the sun shone and the humidity dropped.
Oh, the price to use the gym at the spa at the Sands is $12 a day, but if you book a massage the gym it's included. The Caribbean has a small gym which is $7 a day or $50 for the week.
All in all it was uneventful and lovely which is exactly what we needed. Every person we met was happy to be there and the staff couldn't do enough for you. Just go.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2008

The wife and I stayed at the Royal Islander in Cancun. This resort was absolutely gorgeous, we had a 2 bedroom villa and it was more than big enough for the brother-in-law who tagged along. The wait staff was awesome, especially Juan at the bar outside of the Cayo Largo restaurant. There wasn't a drink he didn't know how to make for us. He was super friendly and just awesome at customer service. Felix is one of the activities guys, he was an absolute riot. He is funny and really gets evryone involved in whatever activity is going on. The only downside, which is small since the bus is only 7 pesos, was that the resort was a good distance from downtown. Like I said, small downside. We rode the R-1 or the R-2 bus, either took you all the way downtown for about 70 cents a person. They run 24/7 and you can get one every 10 -15 minutes. You are never waiting long. All in all a great trip. We will be going back.

1  Thank anthony r
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We used points from our Disney Vacation Club membership to stay here in August 2008. We used Thomas Moore for transfers to and from the hotel and had no problems. If you travel to Cancun make sure you ignore all people in the airport trying to talk to you and go straight outside to meet your transportation. All of the people inside are trying to sell timeshares.

We arrived at the hotel and has a bit of a problem at check-in. Apparently we were the first people ever to not book from Saturday to Saturday and they seemed very confused by this. Consequently, it took us about 45 minutes to check-in while they called Interval International.

When we got to our room (just the lock off portion) the room was just average but the view was great. The hotel is very clean and landscaping is very nice. They had a lot of activities for kids which is great. Also, kids and adults alike will love to go paint a piece of pottery. They "fix" them for you when you are finished and make them look beautiful. My husband and I each paid $10.00 a piece to do that. Make sure to go drink a banana monkey during happy hour. They are regularly about $6.50 but during happy hour (from 3:00pm-7:00pm all drink are half price). They also give you free chips and salsa which are good. We ate at Paco Tacos which was ok for dinner one night. We also ate at Cayo Largo for breakfast one day which was good.

We went to Tulum and Xel Ha one day. Liked Tulum even though it was HOT but found Xel Ha to be overrated. We also suspect this is where I picked up some sort of abdominal misfortune (had to go to the doctor for antibiotics a week after returning home). We also went to Isla Mujeres and did the dolphin swim which was good but too rushed and too expensive. Went shopping in Cancun one evening. We took the shuttle to the Royal Sands and walked from there but you can also take the public bus for $1.00 which we did one day and felt safe.

One day my husband came running into our room to wake me to go see a sea turtle that was on the beach laying her eggs. The staff at each hotel will dig them up and move them to a safer location up against the hotels. When they hatch (about 45 days later) they encourage the kids to come help release them....very cool.

Overall the hotel was nice but would like more dining choices. My husband would love to return and do the trip to Chichen Itza (or chicken pizza as he calls it) but due to my gastrointestinal issues I'm not so sure!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple