“Nice hotel, average service”

The Royal Islander All Suites Resort
Ranked #34 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
“Nice hotel, average service”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Having just come from a resort in Playa del Carmen with exceptional service, this hotel left room for improvement.

I stayed for 2 nights and unfortunately it was check-out that really soured my experience at this hotel. But first the pros:

PROS: okay wifi in most parts of the hotel, comfortable beds, nice quiet rooms, strong shower, great pool area and very nice food and drinks

CONS: service in all ways was lacking - whenever you wanted to order a drink there was no one to be found, yet you were still expected to tip at every point. On check-out, they informed me because I had left my towel at the pool that morning instead of my room, that they would charge me $22 to replace it - now, I understand this may be a policy written in small print somewhere, but they made no move to go and retrieve the towel from where I said I'd left it, and made no move to contact the people who would've picked it up from nearby the pool. My suggestion to management is to EXPLICITLY state to guests that they will be CHARGED if the pool towel is not found in their rooms at check-out - i had thought I was doing a favour by leaving it closer to the pool area. And trust me, no one would steal these towels - they are not great quality at all!

I would also note that if you are a solo traveller or a young couple, this is NOT the resort for you - this is a resort for retired couples and groups of American tourists. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a different crowd than what honeymooners are likely looking for.

One thing I DO recommend is going to Captain's Cove for dinner - the best food I had in Mexico!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Liztiz1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Greenland, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We absolutely love the Islander - as it is NOW!! The people are wonderful. Access to the Royal Caribbean next door makes this even more pleasant. Different pools to choose from, more stores to shop, and different restaurants allow for a varied vacation even if you don't want to leave the resort. The convenience stores now stock lots of different items although I wish they would carry smaller portions of things like shrimp, chicken, etc. It's just the 2 of us and we couldn't possibly eat such large amounts of those foods. Prices are not bad considering that many items are imported from the US. The different restaurants serve a variety of menus ranging from high end to casual and the Trade Winds Express allows you to just eat in your unit. The facility has been kept up very well although we can see evidence of age beginning to show. Supposedly they will be replacing and upgrading in villas owned by friends soon as they usually have a schedule for that. Being an owner gives us a vested interest in the resort. I am dismayed by the idea that they will opt for inviting non-owners to stay there on an all-inclusive plan. We sincerely hope that doesn't happen as it has been a real negative experience for the owners at the Royal Sands. Someone reviewed that the Islander is not a party hotel, but it could happen if there are people on all-inclusive plans there. We say if it "ain't broke, don't fix it!" There are some new restaurants near by that are getting rave reviews. It's nice to take a break and go places to support more local businesses. I have never worried about my belongings although we do use the in room safe for those few valuables that we bring. It's only sensible. As for outdoors, you can choose being out in the sun either on the beach or by the pool or sit in the shade of a palapa or umbrella and some of the palm trees. There's something for everyone and that includes numerous activities for both adults and children.

Room Tip: I do prefer a room above the first floor because it makes me feel more secure, but the rooms are the...
3 Thank accmom9299
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Our family has been members of Royal Resorts for 21 years and it just keeps getting better. We recently bought another 10 years at the Islander and spent last week there. You will not find a bettter resort anywhere in Can Cun. The staff are like old friends and alway ready to help with booking dinner reservatioins in town or finding anything you need. Our villa sleeps 6-8 people comfortably. The decore is modern and lovely and spotless. We enjoy the many pools and beaches.and the fantastic view from our balcony. There are several excellent restuarants in the Royal Resorts serving breakfast buffet , lunch and dinner as well as snacks . Great value for food and lodging. The weather is wonderful...every day is enchanting. There is daily maid service and buses and taxis to take you into town to shop..that is if you can tear yourself away from the tranquil settings at the Islander. Have Fun!!

Terry Jordan
A Very Happy Camper!

Room Tip: Pick a room that has a view of the magnificent interlocking pools and some of the ocean...
1 Thank Teresa J
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We have been staying at the Islander for the past 5 years as timeshare owners. Our experience there has been overwhelmingly positive. Great service, friendly people, love our unit, etc. We would recommend it to anyone.
That said, two criticisms: Every year there is a push to get us to buy (another unit, one of the newest facilities, etc.) Our vacation is short and time is precious. I don't want to spend it putting up with a sales pitch. This year it was the new Royal Residences. They told us we would be back by 11:30am ('12 at the latest). We got back at 1:30pm. Some others not until 3:30pm. A whole day of vacation wasted.
One other negative note. We extended and stayed 3 extra days at a first floor beachfront unit. I wouldn't recommend it. Ground floor meant cockroaches and the unit had issues (tub wouldn't drain, hair dryer fell off the wall).
But, again, overall, we love it there and are planning next years trip already.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. Make sure view isn't obstructed by Paco's Tacos. Had some proble...
2 Thank John G
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We love the Royal Islander and adjacent Royal Caribbean (they are basically the same hotel). Really nice, clean and comfortable rooms with full kitchen. We had the 2 bdrm family villas than can really sleep 8 if needed (we were 5). Great beach, pools, restaurants and grounds + staff very friendly. Not a party hotel full of teenagers. While people enjoy drinking it is all classy. Lobby market had nice selection for your vacation needs all priced within reason for a hotel and worth the convenience. We always found beach chairs and beach is kept clean. Restaurants were great and very reasonably priced. We are return customers and will be back again. Free wifi was good and worked well in room.

Room Tip: all rooms are good
2 Thank Al S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great location, friendly staff, beach is great! The weather was awesome with only one small passing sprinkle that was gone before I saw it coming. We had a studio with a balcony, two twin beds, mini-frig, coffee maker and a microwave. The kitchenette was tiny with dishes for two, but we weren't expecting it, so it was a plus. They don't use cash at the Royal Islander, but you can leave a deposit upfront for your room charges and add as needed. We did tip in cash, though. The breakfast buffet is delicious and you can also have it a la carte. We had dinner once, fish, lobster and filet mignon at the Royal Islander and ate at the beach. We were very happy with food. I did not drink their water and bought American brands instead including to brush my teeth. The server would bring us food from Pacos Tacos and they have a bar on the beach. The chicken enchilada and nachos were my favorite and the drinks were weak, but you could spike your own drinks if you BYOA. We saw some people with a cooler on the beach which we though was a great idea since there's a market on the property that sells just about everything. People do get out early and reserve their beach spots, but most leave by mid afternoon because it gets so hot. The water is extremely nice and a good temperature. We had jelly fish one day; however, they were very small and we avoided them while in the ocean. Our tours included ziplinning at Explor, Playa del Carmen which is beautiful and took the ferry to Cozumel from here. It would have been a perfect vacation including the renewal I attended at Live Aqua; however, when I arrived home and unpacked I realized I was missing a gold necklace. I know what you're thinking why take valuables to Mexico? I learned my lesson, so for that I give this resort a big fat 0. I guess the sign in the room that states not to leave valuables out is there for a reason.

Room Tip: 4835B or A is beach front
2 Thank Disappointed P
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We became members over 20 years ago and have enjoyed our vacation "home" in paradise every year whether it is the RI, RC or RM. We are beach bums and hang on the beach from early morning to late afternoon. We have stayed at other resorts at other Caribbean islands and found you just can't beat the value offered by the Royal Resorts in Cancun. Good food and courteous service in the restaurants, plenty of ice cold drinks at the pool bars and beach bars and daily maid service so you don't have to lift a finger.

Room Tip: We prefer a villa close to the beach and at a lower floor; higher floors- you have to wait for the e...