“Great Stay!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bradenton, Florida
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed in a "lockout" portion of a condo - just the bedroom and bath, similar to a medium level hotel. All was great - view of pool and beach, plumbing, housekeeping, supportive bed-leaving no back troubles! Restaurants were good - not exceptional, but prices were reasonable considering it is a resort. Service on the beach was all it should be - constant attention - a shout out to Samuel and Israel. We did try Captain's Cove restaurant, and had a good experience - I thought it would be a "tourist trap," but was proved wrong. Be ready to walk - if you want to catch the bus you will have a 2 city block walk, and on your return, the last block is quite steep!
We used to stay at Gran Melia, now Paradisus, but I think we might have a new option.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Thiells, NY
Reviewed February 17, 2014

After several years of traveling to the Cancun/Riviera Maya are the majority of my stays, while in Cancun, have been at the Royal Resorts. I've stayed at the Royal Islander, the Royal Caribbean, the Royal Mayan, the Royal Sands, and, on a few occasions when I loved being close to downtown and also the Puerto Juarez ferry to go to Isla, the Royal Cancun, formerly Club Internacional.

My last stay in July 2013 was at the Royal Islander. I was accompanied by my daughter and her friend. We had been to Playa del Carmen for a few nights as I was determined to snorkel and see sea turtles in Akumal bay (had once visited Yal-ku, but no turtles) but then we headed up to Cancun for a week at the Royal Islander. I had stayed there with my sister and another friend the year before and rented privately through a timeshare owner and got a great price both times.

These resorts are incredible. I have been coming down here since the late 90s and have never been disappointed. The two-bedroom villa we rented had a large living room, dining area, kitchen, and large balcony with very comfortable furniture that stretched from the living room to master bedroom. The master bedroom had a walk-in closet, private bath, and a safe. On the other side of the living room was another bedroom with two double or queen beds, walk-in closet and safe, bathroom and also a mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot, as these "lock offs" are sometimes rented out separately by the owners. Each bedroom and living room had a large flat screen TV with cable, and there were telephones in the kitchen, living room, and both bedrooms. There were also two murphy beds in the living room--much more comfortable than pull-out sofas for those of you with large families.

The pool areas are gorgeous, and all of the resorts have swim-up bars and several restaurants. They have laundry on site, great grocery stores with everything from fresh meats, vegetables, pastries, snacks, beer, wine, liquor--and their prices are very reasonable. They also have a doctor at the Royal Caribbean in case of emergency, which, in my opinion, is fantastic! The beach areas by the Islander, Caribbean, Mayan and Sands have heavy waves, but if you want a change of pace, take a shuttle to the Royal Cancun and you will be on the calm waters of the bay. There is an Ado car rental agency right on the premises, boutiques, and also a tour office where you can book any kind of tour imaginable and put it on your card. Extremely convenient!

The staff at all of these resorts is highly professional and they will do their best to ensure excellent customer satisfaction. It was a pleasure to wake up early in the morning and see the people raking the beach or cleaning the pool and giving everyone a huge smile and an "Hola." The properties are immaculately clean, the food at all of the restaurants is delicious--you would have no problem never leaving the resort at all if you did not want to. Personally, as I enjoy the old downtown part of Cancun very much and also Isla, I did leave frequently but since the busses stop at the end of the driveway, getting around was cheap and easy. However, it was always nice to come back home in the evening!

Since I spent most of my 17 or 18 visits at the Royals at least part of the time (other times I was in PDC or Isla), I must have taken some of their amenities for granted because recently a rented a private condo (could not find anything at the Royals within my budget) for a short week-long stay in July. Bottom line was I paid twice as much and the place was pretty much a disaster when we compare it to our July 2013 and July 2012 at the Royal Islander. Ugh... My college-age daughter was very uncomfortable at the other place and did not feel safe like we always do at the Royals. So, now while I make my plans for this summer, I don't have to worry about checking out other places. The Royals can't be beaten. So, if anyone knows of any owner who wants to rent out toward the end of July/early August, contact me as I am unable to reach the owner I've rented through the past couple of years. This was a great 'lesson learned.' If you don't appreciate the Royals, you haven't stayed anywhere else!

Thank you all for a wonderful stay and cannot wait to see you again this summer!

Room Tip: Almost all of the rooms are good because they are arranged in a semi-circle so everyone has a great...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
NC
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed @ Royal Islander Interval 5, ocean front. {RC Interv 3 & 4} Great experience as usual. Wonderful place, atmosphere, staff, food, etc... Reason for 4 stars: I use a CPAP machine and there seemed to be a problem w/ electrical current in our villa. The machine just shut down....took machine to doctor as soon as I arrived home..no problem detected w/ machine. Had no problems w/ machine Intervals 3 & 4 @ Royal Caribbean. Also, get very annoyed w/ guests claiming chairs around pools & on beach. (4:00 & 6:00 a.m. really??) (went to church and came back?? really?) Getting very crowded around pool areas due to Mayan closing, etc. Still love, love, love. See you next year!

1 Thank Earle D
Huntington Park, California
Reviewed February 9, 2014

i recently stayed here (feb 2014) and i hesitated on booking this place because of all the mixed reviews i read on here. but im glad i did, the rooms are super clean and spacious. the pool is big and clean with a bar u can swim to. the beach is a few steps away. the staff was very helpful and courteous. i would recommend this place.

2 Thank AIDEEGA
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here for three nights in early January. Unfortunately the weather was not as good as we hoped with rain and cool temperatures each day so we were unable (or unwilling) to enjoy the pool and beach facililties as planned. However we did still enjoy our stay. Our room contained two double beds and was spacious, including a little kitchen/fridge area, bathroom and huge walk in wardrobe area. The decor is looking very dated however it was clean and well cared for. It is not a glamorous resort, with the average guest being over sixty years old in age however it is very serviceable and comfortable. The restaurants serve basic Mexican and western food at United States prices alongside fabulous margaritas! The bus outside the hotel is convenient for visiting downtown and the rest of the hotel zone.

Overall a good experience and good value if you wish to enjoy the beach and have a resort experience at an affordable price without the drama and style of more expensive places.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 35Elspeth_D
Teaneck, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We have been staying at this resort for 13 years. It is always immaculate and well maintained. The service is exceptional, great friendly staff who will do anything to accommodate you.
With the exception, of the meal we had tonight at their Captain's Cove Restaurant their selection of restaurants is also exceptional.
Highly recommend this resort, although we are owners here, I would recommend anyone to visit.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a room here Google Owners Manual for the best rates possible.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jim R
Vacaville, California
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Royal Islander was a trade for us. We had to trade down as this was high season and there were no same for same trades available for us.
We were in a studio which is pretty much a second bedroom lock-off to make a one bedroom into a two-bedroom. The unit was very clean and well appointed with a coffee maker and a microwave.
EVERYONE at the resort was helpful, courteous and kind. We found the grounds and the public areas clean and very well kept.
Expensive - YES! (for Mexico, that is) but we went into town and found much more affordable options. We were warned by others that have been to Cancun that the area is pricey and that is overall very true. Historically we go to Puerto Vallarta and areas on the Pacific side of Mexico where it really is a less expensive region.
BUT - there is so much to do and see in the Quintana Roo/Yucutan States that we will return.
My advice - rent a car - get a Lonely Planet guide book and go explore. If you stay in the resort area it will cost you mega-bucks.

The ONLY complaint I really have is that they post everywhere that saved beach chairs (over an hour) will not be permitted and it is totally not enforced. We sat next to chairs which were literally "saved" all day with not a soul in them.

Inconsiderate people - we would watch them come down at 7:00 am if not sooner - place towels on chaises/chairs with umbrellas and tables and then not return till late morning or noon.

That being said - we met lovely people and will definitely be back. Next time I will just move the towels!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple