“A jewel in Cancun”

GreenLeadersGold level
Essex, Vermont
“A jewel in Cancun”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at the Royal Islander from April 20th to April 27th. We had a one bedroom villa on the the 7th floor. It was immaculate, comfortable and extremely well equipped. The maid cleaned every day except Sunday and did a wonderful job. We had a superb view of the beach and pool, and bonus view of the lagoon as we walked out of our apartment. The food was great. The market had everything you need for breakfast and lunch more if you want it. we took a trip to Walmart on the Sunday, a wild ride on the bus , felt safe.Staff in Walmart were friendly and helpful. , The beach is amazing. We walked for an hour every morning,played in the ocean every day day. We love the surf, even when the flags were red , We didn't go in alone or out of our depth . It was a little rough for kids however, two of the days the sea was calmer and children were able to get in with their parents. The pools were great and the service fine. The Royal Islander was a find for us and would love to return this time with our three girls.. However they are severing their ties with Interval International and we do not have RCI.. Why go all inclusive" The apartments are perfect for self catering and the restaurants on all three resorts offer a wonderful variety of food. Would love to go back .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Frances A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I will start with the positive . We own an Ocean view on the forth floor and I loved loved the morning sunrises! The rooms are average no upgrades but totally enjoyable. Beds are very comfortable . Kitchen equipped to cook . The beach is absolutely AMAZING !! Life guards are always there. They also have a grocery store that had everything you need. Fresh fruit ,milk eggs etc..now the negative . They are short staffed waiters on the beach . So I had to walk up to the bar. Also they had bottom shelf cheapest liqueur you can get on the beach bar. Drinks are weak with maybe a cap of liqueur. I recommend BYOB ! Food is excellent !!! I recommend the grouper ceviche ! The prices did go up quit a bit! This is due to Royal's transitioning to all inclusive! Which I do not want. Waiters lose out on tips and quality of food will go down and the drinks will not be top shelf. Also people get up at 5:30 to save chairs around he pools ! Grateful I am a beach person! On this trip my daughter who also is a owner got arrested by the resorts guards for walking down beach . She had a band on from an other resort she was staying in. I thought that was uncalled for !!! Also they don't like guest to visit !!! Just make sure you check all your guest in at the lobby!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lori G
Pinellas Park, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2013

An excellent hotel with friendly and accommodating staff. The restaurant staff at Cayo Largo could be a bit less demanding but all in all a GREAT hotel. Was there for a week and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent two days at the Royal Islander Hotel in Cancun. Wondeful stay, room very large and comfortable. Had a great view of the beach on one day and the pool the following week when I returned. Staff very helpful and pleasant. Comical moment was upon my arrival, the man at the front of the hotel came to take my bags.When I told him that i did not have small bills yet, he let me carry my own bags. I laughed because it was not a big deal to me. The only issue I had was that inititally it was very difficult for me to find my room. The place is huge and the buidling are all connected but the signage is poor and the buildings are all similar. Once I got the hang of it it was no longer a problem.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 7, 2013

As an owner of two weeks at Royal Resorts, I have always marveled at the updates to the property and the wonderful staff. However, for the first time in history, we experienced a long and upsetting check-in, poor quality of fresh vegetables and fruits in the on-site grocery store and a significant increase of restaurant prices. Between long flights, customs and excitement - one is ready to start vacation and participate in all that the resort has to offer. But the front desk staff wasn't very welcoming and it seemed like we were being ignored on purpose as we waited in line for more than 20 minutes.

I know it sounds like 20 minutes isn't a long time, however, it is when only two people were in line when we arrived to resort. We entered the members line behind one older couple and smiled at the one couple that was in the non -members line. There were four people checking in the guest, so our greeter cheerfully explained "you're lucky that you arrived during the time when the line was short " and we agreed. So, imagine our surprise when five additional people walked into the non -members line and the front desk staff continued to wave them to the desk while ignoring us. After the fourth person and a 20 minute wait, we decided to move over to the non-member line. Meanwhile, a young woman walked up to the member line. Yet we were appalled once again when the front desk waved over the new person in line instead of waving us over. My frustration led to me walking to the desk attendant and asking "did you see our excited party of five? Is there a reason why no one ever greeted us? nor called us to the desk to check-in? I mentioned that I didn't mind standing in either line but that I was upset that they would notice the new person in the member line, but somehow not see our party of five".

The front desk staff who checked us in around 5:30 was rude, didn't apologize and seemed upset that I walked to the counter. I asked him if members were supposed to stand in a different line and if so, why didn't you tell us that? " He just stared at us and then pulled out the map of the resort.

Again, I love Royal Resorts and look forward to future visits but I'm very upset about how we were treated, especially after I told our guests how exceptional the service has always been in the past. I sent this detailed email to the manager, Mr. Hernandez, who NEVER responded during our week there nor has he followed up (email sent April 1st).

If this is the type of customer service that I would experience in the future, then it would definitely cause me to re-think my stay with the Royal Resorts and instead trade to another one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank FamilyTravel4Me
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Royal Islander and was very impressed with the facilities and our vacation. Staff was very helpful, food in the restaurants was very good and we didn't find it to be overly expensive. We also took advantage of the online order form to have our villa loaded up with groceries before we even arrived! What a GREAT option!

We had an beachfront room and the view was spectacular! We had plenty of space for all of us (3 adults and 2 children) and found the accommodations comfortable, spotless, and in good condition. The water pressure in the shower was the best I've had in a hotel in a long time, and the wifi was readily available and we had no issues with speed.

We also took advantage of the shuttle to other properties and spent a day at the beach of the Royal Cancun, where our small kids could actually swim in the ocean and had lunch there (also very good) and had dinner at Captain's Cove on our last night, which was a highlight of the trip.

All in all a very enjoyable stay and vacation - only complaint is that as an Interval owner, we understand we won't be able to use this property going forward... :(

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are fantastic... balcony is sunny in the morning but shaded by the afternoon, makin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ness77
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The room was small and unaccomodating. An effiency with 2 full beds, lumpy pillows and no comfortable sitting area. The ideal furnishings would be a queen bed with small sofa to be able to retreat to the room and watch tv without having to watch from bed. The balcony was samll without any furnishings. You are expected to wash your own dishes and utensils without the proper facilities; meaning you are washing your table settings in the vanity sink. The occupants who used the room before you are expected to clean the settings before they check out. You have to rely on the job that they did cleaning, when you begin to use any of the table settings. We experienced plumbing issues the first 3 days, which I was able to resolve on my own the third time. When we took a shower, we had to be extra careful about water getting on the floor, because the shower curtain is short and light. The resturants and market on site were pricey. They have signs posted all across the swimming pool area and as you approach the beach area about not reserving chairs with towels or personal belongings, but this was not enforced.

I compliment the friendly hotel staff for thier service. The common areas were well kept.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple