“You will be so happy that you stayed here!”

The Royal Islander All Suites Resort
Ranked #32 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I am a fussy American and I had absolutely NO complaints about the Royal Islander. It was beautiful, clean, well-kept up, and a great place to stay. Our two bedroom villa was more that enough room for us with its large spacious bedrooms, comfortable living room and kitchen, and outside patio overlooking the Carribean. The bus (that costs 65 cents a person) is right on the street in front of the hotel and takes you right into town or we even took it to the end of its route to see all of Cancun. For $1.30 round trip, this was a great way to see Cancun, get off and shop where the locals shop, and get back on to go back to our hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone- family, singles, couples, and any age.

2  Thank 2retiredpeople
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Islander All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

I'm glad to read you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Islander. Thanks for the compliments for our resort and staff. I'm also happy to read you took the time to know the city and enjoy the local offerings.

I hope you return to enjoy the Royal Resorts soon. Until then, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Royal Resorts Community Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,215)

Reviewed April 13, 2011

Just got back from Cancun and our stay at the Royal Islander. (April 2nd – April 9th 2011) First about us. Married Couple – 10th year anniversary get away - two kids who stayed at home –. Not looking for a party scene just looking to reconnect and put our feet up – read, swim and have a few drinks. Mission accomplished.

The Royal Islander - Typical horseshoe shaped complex with pools in the middle. This is a family place with many multi-generational families staying there – grandparents – parents and grandkids. The Islander abuts two other Royal Resorts – The Royal Mayan - The Royal Caribbean – basically they are the same resort.. thus you get the use of all three pool areas – beach areas – restaurants and other amenities – which is a plus. There is also the Royal Sands about 5 mins down the road via free shuttle which is located in a more commercial (aka shopping) area of Cancun. If you want a place to party the Royal Islander is NOT your place. For a nice quiet relaxing time – it fits the bill.

Most lasting impression – This place is CLEAN and kept in top shape all the time. In the late afternoon when most of the other resorts we walked by looked trashed with cups and chairs everywhere the Royal Islander is neat as a pin. Grounds are immaculate. They have an army of folks making sure the place looks great ALL the time.

The Staff – A: Top notch. They really do their best to make your stay enjoyable and they succeed. You are assigned a personal concierge when you arrive who can help you with reservations and ideas on what to do. Being we did not want to do anything we did not use him much. But if we had kids with us we might have.

Pools – Solid B: A bit dated but not too crowded thus you can get a chair – All have a swim up bar and are well kept and clean. After having checked out several of the other neighboring resorts pool areas while we were there.. I would say the Royals pools are in the middle of the pack but nothing to special either. The Royal Sands has a nicer pool but it is crowded and a bit more of a party scene - we had a hard time finding chairs when we went up for an afternoon. Not a problem at the Mayan – Caribbean – Islander complex.

Beach – A: Wider section than other places in Cancun – Also quiet & well organized. The thatched umbrella set up is better and more substantial than most of the other resorts. They are permanent and well spaced so you are not on top of each other. Again very well organized and kept clean. Beach side bar is there and staff will swing by every so often to ask if you want food or drink. They also have life guards on duty.

Hotel Room: B: A bit dated but very large and comfortable – a full suite can easily sleep 6. Full kitchen and the basics (pots – pans etc) to get by in the kitchen. All rooms I assume have a view of both the pools and beach. We had two bathrooms for the two of us - which was nice. I read some other reviews regarding the beds and bedding being sub-par. The bed was ok but I have to agree the bedding is not up to snuff with what you would find at a Hilton (but you are not paying that much either). So sheets feel a bit rough. Maid service was very good and everyday but Sunday.

Amenities – B: They have tennis rackets – snorkeling stuff – bikes – bike helmets –etc. All for the taking. All three Royals have a grocery store which has all the basics including booze for a fairly reasonable price. Being we had a full kitchen it was very nice to be able to get the basics without having to leave campus. Internet access was a problem for me. Very spotty thus frustrating. Clearly needs some work. Another negative in my opinion was they charge $8 or $9 US to use the fitness center at the Royal Caribbean. If it were a really killer fitness center .. maybe.. but it is not. Felt a bit nickel and dimed.

Food: B-: There are several restaurants on the Mayan – Caribbean and Islander campus - Food was good not not great. Price is fair and for not having to get into a cab and deal with that rigmarole the food is fine. The Royal Caribbean has a Food to Go counter that delivers to your room which was good comfort food and inexpensive that we ate on the deck overlooking the pools – ocean. If you wanted to keep costs down you could do it fairly painlessly. If you are a foodie - you will need to go off campus.

Costs while there: B+ - We did not go and do any real day trips (of which there is plenty to do through Thomas Moore Travel) and we ate most our breakfasts and lunches in the room – and went out to dinner every night with drinks. We averaged about $130 per day for the two of us - not skimping. The two dinners that cost more than most were the Hacienda Sisal (which included a show) and Captain's Cove (seafood) which included cove side dinning. All on campus expenses get run on your room card key – and all receipts show the cost is US dollars. No need to carry a wallet – just one waterproof plastic card.

Weather – This was our first time to the area. WOW. I now understand why Cancun is so popular. 80 during the day with a few clouds and light breeze. EVERYDAY. At night a bit cooler – basically a non-temperature. Perfect. At least in April.

Airport: Islander is only about 12 minutes from the Airport. We were shocked when we got off the plane at Cancun Airport and went downstairs to Customs – it was a complete and total zoo. Maybe 1500 or more waiting in lines. When leaving if you want to get gifts for the kids and friends there is plenty-o-commerce at the departing terminals.

Overall: It was an excellent vacation at a very well run – well thought out – well kept resort. We highly recommend the Royal Island (or Mayan or Caribbean). The service is top notch.

Room Tip: See if you can get a full suite not a lock off.
5  Thank VTPete
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Islander All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2011

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed so much your stay at The Royal Islander; I appreciate the time and effort you took to write such a detailed review.

Thanks for the kind words about the resort and our staff. It is our top priority to provide our members and guests with world-class service and facilities.

The gym is an independent concession operated by an external company, that is why there is a fee to use it.

Reviewed April 13, 2011

I have stayed at many of the Royal Resorts properties. The Royal Islander is nice, but could use some updating. Patio furniture on balconies is worn, cushions should have been replaced 5 or so years ago.. Same goes for the decor inside the villas. Overall the space is great and it is clean. The service is top notch and food never disappoints! We love the happy hour from 3 to 5 at the pool bar! I would recommend this resort to families, not the best for a newlywed couple to spend a week... I would opt for the Royal Mayan or Royal Sands.

1  Thank travelgoddess17
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Islander All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Islander. Thanks for the kind words to our staff and your reccomendation.

Regarding the dated equipment, the Royal Resorts have an annual program to update the resort facilities and villa equipment. These updates are made based on an annual budget and plan, and are carried out gradually. Having said this, I'll make sure to forward your comment to management.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stay with the Royal Resorts every year. My family has been visiting Cancun since there was one hotel. My grandmother choose to buy a timeshare here and we've been enjoying Cancun ever since! I have stayed many places in Cancun. Nothing beats the service and quality of the Royal Resorts, especially the Royal Islander! We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Ally13M
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Islander All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2011

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very glad to read that you are a member of the Royal Resorts family. Thanks for the kind words about our resort and staff. We appreciate our beloved members and guests very much too! Thank you for your preference.

Until next time, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

Exceptional clean with daily, complete FREE maid service. Staff was outstanding including front desk & activity personnel. Mega free activities from sailing to Yoga & shuttlle between resorts. Ocean front beaches were magnificant & ALL villas have beautiful ocean & beach views. Have several in-property places to eat at affordable prices. Grounds are beautifully landscaped & villas are large (about 1400 sq. ft.) with complete kitchen & very large terrace with cushioned chairs & tables. Have small grocery store that is very well stocked & affordable.

Room Tip: Try to reserve at least 9-12 months in advance.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynneHemenway
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Islander All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2011

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Islander. Thanks for the compliments to our staff and facilities.

Reviewed April 10, 2011

This was my first trip to Cancun. The Royal Islander was probably just the right level for a first-timer: self-contained as you learn the way around, attractions easily accessible, conveniently located when you are ready to venture out. However, we met many long time repeat visitor/owners. At the Islander you can use the two hotels next door as well, which means many pools, stores, etc without needing a car or shuttle. The beautiful beach was right there, and we never failed to find an available palapa. The staff was very friendly and helpful, including the people at Thomas More Travel, who made local trip arrangements. My sister, who is a more experienced traveler, thought the décor was a little out-dated, but I was very happy with the room, bath, kitchen and amenities. The shuttle to the other Royal resorts was helpful, and the local bus (an easy to use bargain) came right by all of them.
(Oh, and free wi-fi! I am so tired of the Hilton charging for the Internet.)
If I had a caveat I would say the maid was not very diligent.

For meals I would recommend the breakfast buffet at the Tradewinds, Cayo Largo (where the lime soup was great, and we ate there twice), and shrimp anywhere. Dinner at the Tradewinds was so-so, same at La Palapa. Eating out: Fish Fritanga is not easy to find, but it’s in the hotel zone, and great authentic food beside the beach. Ruth’s and Chris’s steakhouse was fabulous food, but VERY expensive. I mean VERY.

The resort shops were reasonably priced and had anything you would need. Shopping out: we found a lovely little shop called DelMar, in the Kulkulcan mall, with beautiful shells and jewelry.

I spent a day at Chichen Itza (again through Thomas More at the resort), and it was worth springing for the deluxe trip. The tour staff kept us supplied with water, parasols and information all day. Paul, Beto, Felipe and Luis were a great team! The buffet at the Mayaland Hotel was great.

We went to the Spa at the Royal Sands, where the staff and service were outstanding: experienced, gentle, and very relaxing atmosphere. Priced as you would find at home.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MurielV

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Islander so much. I appreciate the time and effort you took to write such a detailed review.

Thanks for the kind words about our resort and staff. I've passed your comments about Thomas More Travel staff to management, to compliment them on a job well done. I'm glad that you enjoyed the service and attention of The Royal Sands SPA.

Reviewed April 10, 2011

I have taken many vacations in the last 15 years. I have stayed in many highly ranked hotels but none of them have given me the satisfaction that I got from my vacation in the Royal Islander. The staff was amazing. They made you feel like Royalty. Our concierge "Milo" is what made the trip perfect. He made sure that we experienced the most important parts of Cancun without any confusion. He ensured that we always had the best seats in the house and amazing service wherever we went. The water was gorgeous, the food was perfect, the entertainment never ended, etc. Whatever you do, do not leave Cancun without experiencing the perfect massage on the beach. For those who do not like to sit still on vacation there were plenty of activities to keep you busy. For those who want to be lazy. You could sit at the beach or by the pool without so much as lifting a finger to carry a chair or pack refreshments. Many of my friends and family said do not go to Mexico its not safe! They said don't drink the water and most importantly do not leave the resort. We did all of these things and never once did I feel unsafe or uncomfortable. I could go on and on about my amazing trip but I will sum it up by saying after this trip there is no place that I would rather spend my vacation than the Royal Islander of Cancun.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Islander. Thank you for the compliments to our staff and facilities; I'll be sure to forward your comments about your concierge to management to compliment him for a job well done.

Thank you for pointing out that you felt perfectly safe during your vacation in Mexico, we hope this will encourage other travelers to feel safe about visiting Cancun and Mexico.