“Wonderful vacation, resort Paradise”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #47 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Wonderful vacation, resort Paradise”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Recently visited the hotel/resort Riu Caribe in Cancun, Mexico. Was a great resort, beautiful garden of palm and other exotic trees/plants. Loved laying at the pool and looking out over the Atlantic Ocean! Only two complaints, the hotel lobby and hallways are open air with open windows and in the summer it is hot and humid! Between that and the elevators not working, in the evenings some times we were looking for a way to stay cool. They do provide complimentary internet in the lobby once per day for 90 mins. but I honestly can't see what it would hurt to provide that complimentary service throughout the entire hotel. The fine dining restaurants were great, the massages at the spa were fantastic and everything else promised to us was as listed. The buffet food was ok, not bad but the fine dining restaurants so much better. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and helpful in getting us everything we needed, whether it was an extra towel, excursions, or rented water sports.The staff even had a special treat of chocolate covered strawberries and a letter of congratulations for our anniversary in our room for us one day. Overall it was a great place and we would love to return just as soon as we can!

Room Tip: Request not to be on levels 1- 4 over the lobby. Talked to others in the hotel that said the lobby w...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,172)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed in the Riu Caribe from the 1st June to 15th June and we had the most amazing time ever.
Every part of our holiday was first class.. from the rooms to the food to the nightlife.
The room we had was really big with 2 double beds. We were on the side of the hotel but the view was still outstanding.
As a fussy eater I am always scared of staying all inclusive but every night I thoroughly enjoyed my meal! It did get a little repetitive but 2 weeks in an all inclusive resort what can you expect. The 3 other restaurants were also fantastic.. especially the steak house.
The pool and the daytime activities were all great. Me and my friends personally enjoyed the water aerobics and joined in this most days.. unless a little bit too hungover!
The entertainment staff were great always making the daytime enjoyable. The entertainment on a night was always good and funny. They also would take the hotel guests out to a selected nightclub each night ensuring all guests enjoyed the night and were safe! These guys definitely made our holiday what it was. The most hard working set of people I've ever come across.
All in all this hotel was absolutely amazing. We have been back just under a month and already booked to go back in January! See you soon Riu Caribe!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank nickolle123
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for a week, and it got worse every day. I have traveled through Europe and have been to Mexico before, and have never encountered such a horrible place.

We were located at the end of a hallway, and starting at about 1:30 am every morning people would start congregating near the end of the hallway outside of our room, smoking and talking so loudly that we were woken up....every night. When I called security I was told that this would probably happen for the next 3 hours or so since the people just came in from the club nearby. This happened every night, and security did nothing. I alerted management, and they did nothing. The last night we were there people were screaming in the lobby, and management again told me that they were coming in from the club and would not be made to quiet down, regardless of the fact that they were disturbing paying guests.

We observed the childrens activities (parents were able to drop off during the day) and one of the "caretakers" sat by the pool reading a book while the children played in the water, basically unattended.

The food was mediocre at best....don't waste your time on a reservation at the "Japanese" restaurant or Mexican restaurant. The buffet was so-so.

As we were leaving, I almost felt the need to tell people coming in the lobby to run away.

Room Tip: DO NOT go to this hotel if you want to get any sleep, or have the management have any control over t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Angie C
south yorkshire
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Splashed out this year on riu caribe mexico.
Let me first start by saying this is NOT in the centre of cancun nor is it a 5 min walk away (as per the agent in thomas cook) we wanted to be close to all the different bars so we could watch the world cup matches however as it was, it wasnt a problem. The bus service is unbelievable. Go outside the hotel play frogger accross the main road and I guarantee you, you will not wait more than 2 mins for a bus. I timed a visit from the hotel to Hooters to watch the england match and it took 8 minutes. I saw 2 Rui palace hotels? One was right next door and the other was close to coco bongo. Why are they the same name?

The rooms could do with being updated. Standard size double bed, NOT the mahoosive ones in the brochure. The view wasnt the best, to the right the sea and to the left waste gound. TIP Ask for a sea FRONT, not the sea view, apparently there is a difference. the balcolny was very small but this was because we had a side room. Even so the rooms have an electronic safe (so no deposit required) Iron with ironing board. hair dryer, mini bar which is replenished every couple of days and included 4 optics too! which are all free of charge,a big walk in shower and double sinks. obvioulsy air con, which is a must, but make sure the baclony doors are shut correctly as the aircon wont work. The rooms were cleaned every day with clean towels, she made an excellent job of it. Oh and while i remember, before we flew out I was checking the weather all week and it said torrental rain, and thunder storms, even when we were, there it said the same, but I can assure you it was really sunny and hot every day, I think we had 2 spots of rain all fortnight, so if it says the same for you remember it might not be right.
The hotel provide towels for the sunbeds every day, and there is plenty of animation around the main pool, hence if you wanted to play games etc you had to get up early to get sunbeds near, but more sun beds could be found around the other pools, and the beach had plenty too but obviously the ones with the parasols went quick.

At the quiet end of the pool area you will find a pizza bar, and they will make up fresh ones if you want. The swim up bar was good and they serve most cocktails, beer etc. The food is a little samey but ok. I would recommend the in house specality restaurants.

The entertainment in the evening was pretty poor, it mostly consisted of the animation team dressing up or playing games with the residents. However a trip in to cancun centre is well AMAZING, however as we discovered you cant just pop in a bar around this area at night. They sell wristbands which gives you a free bar (only on certain drinks) and does limit you to staying in one bar.These bars are for the young and lively they played good dance music etc. We did a couple of nights and had a brilliant time, couldnt do it every night im getting to old lol !! TIP : DO NOT be pursuaded to get a taxi back. The incredable bus service I mentioned earlier runs all night. Its works out at 45p for any distance, I was listening to some poor sod who paid 250 paseos (about £16!!) for a taxi from coco bongo, which brings to review this. We decided to go to coco bongo and pay for the very top tier, which is the most expensive. about £115 each! Yes you can see the show clearly and yes the drinks and service are excellent. worth the money?.......verdicts out. You can pay alot less and be at the bottom, You wouldnt see all the show which is above your head, but it is less expensive. I suppose its personal preference.
We had a great night in senor frogs and the small cow"

You will need plenty of spends it you are planning trips, almost all of them cost at least £100+ each, We decided to go to Isla Muerjes, which is the island you can see from the beach. This is well worth a day out. Go outside the hotel and turn left, walk about 7 mins and you will see a yellow hut/cabin on the main road, this is the booking office for the ferries, Get your tickets here, the ferry trip is about 20 min. When you get there hire a golf buggy for the day, Its about £27 and is a must to get around the island. There are lots of little bars and places to snorkel etc. We had a really good day.

Wifi...........Yes it is true you can only get wifi for 90mins a day, once you log on it begins to count down so you cant save any time, but I took and iphone and a samsung tablet and was able to use both devices to connect. There is an option to pay for wifi for serveral days but this was quite expensive. The bars around usually have free wifi.

If you forget anything theres a Walmart, again a bus ride the other way. I usualy get eaten alive by mozzies, this year someone told me about "skin so soft" from avon, apparently mozzies dont like it. I took some with me and used it every day apart from one and I got bit on that day! dont know if it was a coincidence but im gonna take it again.
Overall a good hotel, It didnt blow me away, which I thought I would do. if I could offer some suggestions to improve this hotel it would be better entertainment in the evenings, bigger beds, and tea making facitlites in the room would be a Brucey bonus.

Mexico is an amazing country and snorkelling with the turtles is a must, the mexican people are fantastic, dont forget to save about £45 each to leave the country.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean Front view or if not a pool view. asking for an sea view wont automatically get the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank etta1
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We have just arrived home from this hotel. This is one of the best hotels in Cancun! The hotel is spotless. The reception staff are very helpful and can't do enough for you (especially Angel!) The food is amazing in particular the steak and Asian restaurant, these restaurants were very easy to book! This hotel is perfect for younger people looking to go out on the strip every night, as the entertainment staff arranged transport and provided VIP bands for the clubs for just 750 pesos which is an open bar all night! I would highly recommend going to Coco Bongos as it was definitely the best night out in Cancun by far! We went as a girls holiday aged between 18-19 and it was amazing! The entertainment staff were excellent (especially Ceasar), they were always so happy and friendly. If you are travelling with Thomsons and have any queries or worries the reps Nicola and Jonny were very helpful, and arranged all of our excursions ie swimming with dolphins (which is a must), the jungle tour and lastly the Thomsons bar crawl which was brilliant!
This was the best holiday ever and I will definitely be back next summer to this hotel!

Room Tip: I would recommend a high floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank R12342014
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This hotel is amazing. People are friendly, food is really good, rooms are clean. The beach is awesome! The only thing I missed are the palm trees on the beach....The location is close to markets, shops and clubs. We had an awesome time and would come back.

Room Tip: oceanfront for better view and larger balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MilicaSJ
Sydney
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

My first impression when arriving was great. The hotel grounds are beautiful and is right on the beach. Yes it's all inclusive which is convenient and fun - although the quality of food is absolutely terrible! The hotels entire customer service went from bad to worse! The staff do the bare minimum and refuse to answer any questions. They don't even have any common courtesy or customer service skills. In conclusion - I'd rather pay for a cheaper (not inclusive) hotel and pay for my meals individually.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends