“Lively hotel”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #43 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I will start with the negatives, although the hotel had a wide range of age groups it did cater mainly for 18 - 30's age group and because of this most of the daily entertainment revolved around this age group with loud music around the main pool. Also with the Riu Palace next door being able to use the Caribe's facilities they did, as their beach is not a patch on ours, their bars aren't as good, their entertainment is virtually non existent the whole place seems glum so why wouldn't they come across but they do take up sun beds quickly. After say all that, we didn't have any problems with sun beds, restaurant seating, bar service or saw any trouble with the young groups.
This hotel is modern and welcoming, there is always a buz, partly because there are two bars in the hotel reception area and this is the only seating so it is always full which can mean finding a seat difficult.
The bedrooms are large with good views and except for tea and coffee facilities all the bits you will need. The aircon works very well and the ceiling fan tops this off. There are tequila, gin, vodka and Bacardi optics above a fridge stocked with beer, cokes and water.
There are 3 speciality restaurants, Mexican, Asian and steak all OK but the main buffet restaurant is so good with an excellent choice of foods.We did try the speciality restaurants but found the buffet more than adequate.
All the bars are well stocked and the service is quick and friendly.
Throughout the hotel cleaning is good with someone constantly around with a brush and mop.
All the staff are friendly and helpful.
Getting around Cancun is easy, the local busses stop outside the hotel about every 5 minutes and for 10 pesos you can get just about anywhere along the main road through Cancun. If you like haggling and rummaging, the large flea market near to CoCo Bongo's is a must. This area seems to be where most of the night life is.
We did a couple of trips through the Thomson rep, both were excellent but we thought very expensive, certainly 50% more expensive than most other places around the Caribbean we have been to.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank spudlylight
Write a ReviewReviews (7,727)

Reviewed April 5, 2014

i booked this holiday as a treat for my partners 60th birthday, well I don't no what to say or where to begin .this holiday cost a lot off money however it was a special holiday and it said it was 5 star so I was happy. I arrived at our hotel to be treated by a reception person badly the room was not great however. we decided to ask for a change and spoke to manager about our events so far he told us we could move on sat ,not a problem
we been here three days there as been fights around pool, big loud gangs off yobs around pool, beach, in the evening shouting out in entertainment area .on the outside seating area they been intimidating customers last night I would say was quite scary and I am not scared easily,. the list is on going .so if you are a family or couples don't come as this is worse then 18.30 in magaluf. last night I felt sorry for the staff that were working in these conditions they were spoken to in an appauling way when they work so hard. if you are young and behave in this way you will have a ball.
all I can say is this is a truthful event which is happening now .and I am trying to get home as after 4 days im stress and need to feel safe.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jc1963
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from 3/26/14-4/1/14. The hotel is awesome! everything is SO clean!! There is always someone cleaning something everywhere you look! The staff by the pool that organizes activities is amazing and I'd say they made our trip!! always cracking jokes with you and getting you to join all the fun games! We did water aerobics which was a BLAST, a belly flop contest & pool volleyball. They really care and try to make you have a great time! the bartender at the pool bar BETO is amazing!! We brought money to tip them either way but they definatley earned it all!

I did email ahead of time asking for a room on the 5th or 6th floor... and was at first given a room on the ground floor.. I told them I didnt want that room so they had us wait about an hour and told us they had a room on the 3rd floor but it wasnt ready yet... i also emailed ahead of time asking they decorate our room for mine and my boyfriends anniversary. this was done but not until the second day and I had to remind them.. If i didnt remind them im not sure this would have been done. The room was great it did get a little noisy at night from the lobby music and just lots of people talking but it wasnt anything that kept us up or anything!

The beach was much smaller than I thought but still was great! very clean! i LOVE the clear water!

Now one thing i wasnt very happy with was the food... we stayed at another hotel and the food was much better there... the asian restraunt was ok.. the mexican ok as well. the steakhouse did make my boyfriend sick on our last day...it was just not very good at all...

other than that i loved this resort! we had a lot of fun and there is such a variety of places that other people are from there!
THANKS RIU CARIBE!

Room Tip: I'd ask for 4th floor or higher if you want a view!
3  Thank MarissaC26
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I went into this trip just hoping for the best after some of the reviews I read but from the time we walked in the front door it was great. We were met with a welcome drink, Karen at the front desk was more than helpful with checking us in and anything we needed after that.

We booked this trip through AAA and Pleasant Holidays, they had our transfers to and from the airport set up with Best Day Travel and they were great from the time we got our bags at the airport until we left. They loaded our bags and took us to the resort where they had one of their reps named Jorge waiting on us. He helped us with any questions we had or excursions we might want to go on. and was there all week in case we had any questions.

The food in the main buffet was good enough that we didn't see a need to eat at any of the a la carte restaurants so I cant give an opinion on those. We could always find something good to eat at the buffet that was good. I cant say enough about our waiter Miguel. He was the absolute best waiter I have ever had anywhere, Elda was also a very good waitress. If you get a chance look them up, it will be worth your effort.

Everything was kept extremely clean inside and out cant complain about cleanliness at all.

We had a Ocean View Suite on the 4th floor which was just high enough to get a good view of the grounds and the ocean. Room was beautiful and always kept extremely clean by our lady Zoila. She always had towel animals and rose petals in our room for us which was another great touch to this vacation.

The beach was great, clean and water was beautiful. We never had a problem finding a cabana/umbrella and we never got down there before 9:00. Beach was always cleaned early in the morning of any seaweed. The waiter on the beach was checking on us about every 20 min which was more than enough.The vendors that sold things weren't a bother and we actually bought a few neat things from a few of them.

All in all perfect trip. This was a trip for our anniversary but we will definitely be returning with the kids and my parents. I guess anyone can have a bad experience anywhere but if I couldn't suggest this place more for any type of vacation.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor or higher for the best views. Ask for Miguel in the main buffet.
5  Thank natedogg78n
Reviewed April 2, 2014

After a long flight we were not impressed with the check in method but it wasn't something that would spoil your holiday. Our room was amazing, spacious with excellent view. (9th floor)
In the 2 weeks we were there we didn't come across anything but excellent customer service from all the staff we met. Frankie and the guy who did the night shift ( sorry cant remember his name) in the sports bar did a fantastic job especially when other bars closed and idiots that can't handle drink (some probably because they aren't old enough back home to drink)
Charlie in the main buffet restaurant was a bit of a lad very helpful and a cheeky charmer, but saying that every one worked really hard and always with a smile and hello for everyone. The booking system for the themed restaurants were contrary to some comments like many other hotels. Book between 7 & 11 am and you could book up to 3 days ahead but the main buffet was fine, enough choice and all hot and tasty. The hotel was kept exceptionally clean and tidy by cleaners and handymen they too always smiling and welcoming.
The hotel is right on the beach and cleaned everyday
The one slight disappointment was the ents team. When we first got there it was busy with spring breakers and all their attention was aimed at them along with the big groups of young males or females that were there. Don't get me wrong we aren't party poopers or old and over the hill but unless you were under 25 they didn't want to know. And when they did they offered you a book or board game so I think they could do to re evaluate its not just the whipper snappers that like water polo and volleyball etc
The buses which stop close to the hotel are frequent and run for 24hrs and going in to town is only 10-15 peso
There is loads to do in Mexico and the excursions available are good, the speed boat ride is great for the James Bond wannabe and xplor is fun for the more adventurous and if you like cheesy light hearted fun you have to try an evening on the captain hook ship but look around for the best prices. All in all its a great hotel, lovely staff, good food and they don't skimp on alcohol. What more do you need

Room Tip: Nearly if not all rooms face the sea but for best views and a quieter room ask for central higher fl...
6  Thank Riley7225
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Overall, very happy with our trip to Cancun. We used Happy Shuttle to get from the airport to the hotel (and back, at the end of our trip), prepaid online with no issues for our roundtrip ride. I thought the room was fantastic (5th floor) and yes, the elevators were iffy the entire week but we just took the stairs- it allowed for us to have a few more desserts and cocktails!
We hopped back and forth from the pool to the beach- the 'towel game' is certainly played here but we never seemed to have a problem to find 2 beds together available. I loved the beach- we checked out the Riu Cancun while we were there (similar in price) and I thought the beach and pool areas were much better at the Caribe.
As for food, we had no issues until the last day. My husband got violently ill after we ate at the Japanese restaurant. I am an ER nurse and I see a lot of gastrointestinal illness, and I am fairly sure this was bacterial (food poisoning) rather than viral due to onset of eating (approximately 3 hours) and duration of illness (24 hours). Maybe stay away from the sashimi??
If you want to explore other parts of Cancun, take the bus! It is 9 pesos (less than a dollar) and drops off/picks up right in front of the hotel.
Minus the last bout of stomach illness, we had a lovely time at the Riu Caribe.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MollyTee
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in January of 2014 for my daughters spring break. Check in was great and we had an ocean front room. Room was clean and modern....no compalints. Food was average...go in with very low expectations and you should be fine. Breakfast was the best meal as there is little that you can do to eggs:) however when you leave the dining area you SMELL of all the food. It is gross. We fixed this by having what we deemed our "dining outfits" which we wore every day! Trying to get a reservation in the themed restaurants is nuts but we got two and the mexican was just ok and the steak house was average.
Beach---honestly not a true Cancun beach...there were no waves and the water wasn't that crystal clear blue. There also is a wall that is under the water and if you don't know it's there....well it could be a problem.

Went to the mall and took the bus.....they drive like mad men, but it was cheap.

Entertainment team (Hi Paris) is top ten and they truly give 100% to what they do.

Good resort for the price:)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family