“Junior Suite & 9th floor view”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #45 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Southern Illinois
“Junior Suite & 9th floor view”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the RIU Caribe from June 30 to July 4, 2013. My husband & I took our two daughters (age 18 & 21). The four of us stayed in a Junior Suite (Room 916). Our travel agent requested the top floor (9th). If you are traveling as a family, I would recommend the extra expense of the junior suite. It gives you a bigger room and a larger balcony. It was located at the end of the hallway away from the noise and traffic near the elevator. The top floor gave us the most beautiful views of the city and the water! We had plenty to eat and drink. We took two excursions that were both great experiences: a snorkeling trip from AquaWorld and the notorious Bongo Tour (Congo Bar, Senor Frogs & Coco Bongo). No complaints, I just wish the weather had cooperated!!!

A few tips:
~Electrical outlets are scarce. If you need several things plugged in at once, you might consider an adapter with multiple outlets. The bathroom is equipped with a small blow dryer.
~If space allows, bring your own pillow. I'm a pillow freak and I was so glad I had my own.

Room Tip: Junior Suite is larger than regular room & has a larger balcony. Top floor gives you great view...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank bmkabrown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,195)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Harrow
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We arrived at the hotel as a party of 6, spread over three generations. Overall, everyone enjoyed the stay and had a great time. Our rooms were on the 2nd floor with no view due to lush palm trees but when we brought this up to the manager, he switched us to the top floor the following day, and the view from everyone's rooms was fantastic. The food at the buffets was plentiful, lots of choices of salads, fruits, juices, main entrees, etc. There are 3 additional restaurants (Mexican, Asian, and Steakhouse) which require advance reservations but we had no trouble getting in. The restaurants were beautiful and the service is absolutely GREAT everywhere - in the lounges, by the pool, the room cleaning, the bars, restaurants, etc. There were non-stop activities at the beach and the pool, both for adults and kids: games, exercises, etc. Our biggest complaint is that the main areas are NOT AIR-CONDITIONED. The main hall, the bars, and especially elevators were extremely hot and humid. When there was cross breeze, it wasn't so bad but when there wasn't, we had trouble staying in common areas. The nightly entertainment was fairly amateurish - some dancing, some games, etc. The staff is friendly and went out of their way to make our stay memorable and relaxing.

5 Thank Harrowlad
Scotland
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I am the "scottish lady" referred to in the earlier review from Simon F and can confirm that I stayed at this hotel from 3rd to 17th July as my son was getting married in the hotel. The hotel was nice enough, food plentiful if a bit "samey" and plenty to drink. What ruined it for us was the theft of money from safes in the 2 rooms we occupied, like the earlier reviewer each of our rooms were booked under the same surname, matched the surname of the groom of the wedding party (2 different weddings) and were on the same floor as them, in fact one of the rooms was next door!! I made a police report, asked the police to attend the hotel (the manager Sergio tried to maintain that HE had asked the police to visit) and they dusted and took photographs but at the time of our departure we hadn't had any answers and the hotel would not contact the police for updates. Also they refused to give me a copy of the initial reports I completed on the night I discovered the money missing saying they had forwarded all paperwork to head office, what decent business does not keep a copy for their own records of any paperwork they send on anywhere? I tried to get my Thomson's rep to help me get a copy but he just said he couldn't help as he didn't work for the hotel I said I understood that but we were there are guests of Thomsons. I asked him to ask the area rep to either visit me at the hotel or contact me by phone but she refused saying I had to just do what the hotel was telling us to do, ie email Riu head office when I returned to the UK. In all we had a total of 6900 pesos stolen, approx £363, the money was in 4 seperate bags (2 in each safe) and it wasn't the same amount taken from each bag, it was like someone had just grabbed a wad from each bag not stopping to count it until clear of the rooms, it is my belief this was done by a hotel employee and likely happened at some point during the wedding as they could be sure they wouldn't be disturbed, even one of the policemen I spoke to seemed to believe this as a possibility although the manager Sergio refused to even consider it, The worse thing is because there was no sign of forced entry my insurance company won't pay out as they believe it to be a hotel employee responsible in those cases. There is a sign in reception and within the booklet in each room stating clearly that "there is a safe located in your rooms for your security and comfort. We recommend that you deposit all your valuables in the safe. The hotel management cannot be held responsible for loss of objects that have not been deposited in your safe" Yet when you follow their instructions and use the safe they STILL won't accept any responsibility!!! I have emailed Riu head office for an update in my case and will update my review in light of their response, I will also be contacting Thomsons regarding their rep and also intend contacting the media.

Room Tip: Avoid the 8th floor!!!!
3 Thank Kay_SScotland
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 19, 2013

SOO RUDE!!!! NOT ONE STAFF MEMBER IS NICE. IT'S ALL INCLUSIVE AND THEY WANT TO BE TIPPED FOR EVERY THING. Couldn't get rooms cleaned and getting reservations for the resteraunts were impossible. So many kids at the entertainment is was unpleasant. We stayed from 7-11-13 TO 7-18-13

Room Tip: better have alot of money to tip or the service will be the worst. A/C is horrible.
3 Thank g n
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have just got back from a 2 week holiday in the Riu Caribe Cancun Mexico. Its the 4th time i have been and definatley will be the last. The hotel its self is great, very clean and tidy. The food is excellent and there is plenty of chioice in with the buffet and restaurants you can book into. I would however avoid the Mexican restaurant and im not a fussy eater in any way shape or form.I could go on and on with aplaudits about the resort however there are a few reasons i would never travel again.
We found that money was being taken from the safety deposit box in our room, not only ours but my parents and father in laws. Between us over the holiday £1000 was taken and being the destintation that we had chose to get married really ruined things for us. Not only the fact that people could let themselves into the room and somehow into the safe( which was electronic key coded by ourseleves) but also the help that we recieved after we realised was poor. The hotel staff seemed to find it amusing and really wernt interested in trying to help us.
You really dont expect a Riu resort to have thieving employees working for them but what makes it worse is that the staff give you the impression that they know about it.I was told by one "its not the 1st time its happened"
Im just glad i told as manay people as possible to try to stop this. A scottish lady came to me the day later to say that they too had also been robbed.
Whether this review will change your mind or not please do not leave any money or valuables in the safety deposit boxes that they provide in there rooms

Room Tip: Safes in the room are not safe Staff will ignore criticism until you forget Employees on the 8th f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Simon F
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Caribe, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As a service minded hotel chain, it is disappointing to hear that you encountered inconveniences in our property as mentioned in your review an that it caused your holiday to be less enjoyable.

We are deeply disappointed to find that our team did not turn around this situation to your complete satisfaction during your stay.

We assure you this normally does not happen; however, we kindly ask you to contact our Customer Service Department via crm@riu.com for us to do a proper follow up.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I went on holiday with my partner. We stayed here for 15 nights all-inclusive from 21/04/2013-7/05/13. The holiday was fantastic.
We got there early in the afternoon and was checked in swiftly and assigned our room. This was on the 3rd floor. My partner asked for it to be changed as we wanted a higher floor away from the noise, as this was recommended by others. They did upgrade us free of charge, but were told that the room change was not going to be for another 3 days. We settled with that and went to see what the room looked like. It was as what we had looked at in the brochure. So far so good. The bathroom was nice...two sinks, a walk in shower and good lighting. Spacious, nice airy room. Air con was great.

The mini bar was filled up every day to my partners advantage :D
Yuri, the maid was very nice. We tipped her and nearly everyone that provided a good service to us.

The food was nice. We booked into all of the restaurants. There was such an array of foods to choose from. We were spoilt for choice.

The excursions were great. Our favourite was Xel Ha. The adventure water park.

I would go back again as I would like to experience more of Cancun.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor. We stayed in room 973 ocean view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Reyès C
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here from the 1st to the 15th July 2013 and travelled with Thomson, who's rep Aldo was fantastic! The hotel has a very friendly atmosphere, the staff at the bars and restaurants were extremely helpful and will never let you have an empty glass. Cocktails were brilliant, would recommend the 'sexy banana'! Food was very varied and could not fault the main buffet. Steak house was lovely, however, we never enjoyed the Mexican.

Rooms are clean and spacious, however, watch if its raining outside the toilet may not flush properly. Mini bar restocked every 2 days.

Pool and beach constantly cleaned and are immaculate. Our only down point about the pool was the constant shouting of 'DJ Pikachew' interrupting nearly every song, which after a couple days gets annoying, let alone 2 weeks, wish he could of put a sock in it!!! He will ruin your relaxing pool time!! That said, the animation team still did a great job in keeping everyone entertained.

We would recommend the thomson bar crawl if your Traveling with them!

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable 2 weeks at a great hotel!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Jamlaure123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#76 of 175 in Cancun
Hotel Riu Cancun
Hotel Riu Cancun
#32 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!