“View Spectacular Vacation”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #45 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I spent a week relaxing and enjoying "down-time" at the Riu Caribe. As another reviewer mentioned, we chose the Riu based on prior stays at the Riu in Cabo San Lucus. The service, food and staff were all excellent. We enjoyed the pools, the beaches, and the grounds. Everything is well kept, clean, and organized. We were initially assigned a third floor room which we felt was very noisy. We had paid for an ocean view which we could barely see from our balcony. After three days we asked to be moved to a higher level and they quickly accommodated our request and we moved to the seventh floor with a fabulous view of the ocean. The hotel is well situated with a bus stop just outside on the main street. The busses run about every five minutes and they quickly get you to your destination. All in all, a nice place to stay at a reasonable price with a fabulous beach and incredible view!

Room Tip: Higher level floors away from the Lobby and Entertainment will provide less noise! The Lobby is des...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jobs4us
Write a ReviewReviews (7,804)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I were here Feb 2 to 14, 2012. First time in Cancun. Picked the Riu Caribe based on past stays at other Riu hotels. The Caribe did not disappoint. Was well up to the standards they keep at all other Riu hotels. Good food, room, grounds, facilities, service, security, activities, etc.
If we would have liked Cancun more and made a decision to visit again then I think we would not hesitate to stay here once again. However, Cancun as nice as our stay there was, does not appeal to us to warrant another visit. Just not Mexican enough, too touristy. Mind you this is the intention of this resort area. The government set it up 40 or 50 years ago to be just that and it has been successful for them. We are not night club, late night people nor much for shopping in the glitzy malls. We did quite enjoy our day trip over to Isla de Mujeres.
Anyways, the only reason I gave this hotel a 4 star very good is that I reserve 5 star ratings for hotels that are much more expensive.
This hotel is top notch for its price point and we very much enjoyed. No disappointments.
Try it you will like it.
Vaya Con Dios, Amigos/Amigas

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cowtownguy
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We travelled 27th Feb-13th March, with 4 adults and 2 children (4&7) and we had an absolute brilliant time, i am very sad to be home.
Weather to begin with was worrying as it rained - all day! Apart from that we had beautiful weather, a little windy at times if you sat too near the beach. My biggest thanks to this to hotel was the entertainment staff - if u r travelling with children please dont worry Ali & MiMi will look after your children so well, the kids club was mainly outside becuase the weather was so nice, so each morning they would have a child themed activity, weather it be limbo dancing, collecting sea shells etc. My two had so much fun. The evening entertainment which ran every evening was just as good, the staff work so hard to make sure everyone is happy and joins in if they wish. My hubby won the Mr Mexican which was so funny, whilst we were there they had a Michael Jackson impersonator, a greece night, Las Vegas, karaoke etc. The entertainment lasted till 10.30-10.45pm which is ample when u have children.
Resturants - both buffet resturant were nice and always so much choice, even if u r the fussiest of eaters there is still something to chose from. We tended to eat in the indoor buffet resturant as outside (middle of the day) was just too crowded and noisey. We tried all 3 themed resturants and the only one we liked was the Asian but its personal choice so if u r there for 2 weeks its worth a try.
Rooms - a lovely size but my issue was the size of the bed, we had 2 double beds and for the kids it was ok, but for me and the hubby it was a little small! I got cold a few nights but they are blankets which was fine. The balconeys are small if u r on the corner of the hotel but we werent too bothered by this. If you r a family or you like it a little quiter ask to be above the 5th floor, the higher u r the less chance of noise there is. We had a few issues at the end of the holiday but they were quickly resolved when you called down to reception.
Buses - easy, the run all the time, red n white ones r like a white knuckle ride, the work on commission so want to get everywhere very quickly, the blue buses were better!
Shopping - brilliant for rainy days, just ask your rep or the staff for the best places.
Trips - we did 2 with Thomson, one was the Pirate ship what a blast, the whole family enjoyed this, it was in the evening and you had entertainment throughout we went on the black pearl who had a battle with Captain Hooks ship - kids thought it was great. We also did the Catermaran which again was a great day out, it took you to another island where we drove a golf buggy around it, there was snorkelling and lunch provided too. Went to Wet n Wilde (not thru Thomson) we took the bus got there no probs, it opens at 10, u can hire towels there so u dont need to take your own and hire a locker if u wish. Their main attraction was the dolphins, which we didnt do as we felt the children were too young, the water park wasnt massive but it was ample for us n the kids.
Complaint - only one, it was Spring Break and therefore especially during the day it was too noisy and rowdy, we moved to another pool (near the pizza place) and it was much quiter, to be honest it wasnt a massive complaint from me n the hubby but the in laws found it a bit much, and if we couldnt have moved to another pool i think i would have found it a bit much as well. Had we have known it was this time of year we would have gone later on. It certainly didnt spoil it i just wish we had known that was all.
Would i return, most definatly. We all loved it x

Room Tip: The higher u r the less chance of noise!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Nicola368
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just spent 10 days at this beautiful, refurbished hotel in Cancan, it's classed as a 4 star plus but it's just about 5 star!! The hotel is kept spotless and the staff work tirelessly - from the waiters, to the bar staff to the reps, they are all friendly and cannot do enough for you! Especially funny is Juan, the gay one and Lobo is a great Latin dance teacher! Their comedy show was hilarious and the other shows also good are Grease, Caribbean dance and the Fire Show by the pool was amazing. All inclusive really meant all inclusive, from the tequila to the cocktails, I was drunk every night! It's a lively pool are with fab pool games and a friendly atmosphere! The sea was stunning and the beach too - we got an ace tan and just relaxed, but there is plenty to do in Cancun if you venture out ...a top destination and we want to go again.... as soon as possible!! Try it, you will like it!!

Room Tip: The rooms are beautiful and modern with the blue colour scheme they are fresh and clean. We had opti...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank LeedsTracy
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just got back from my second trip to cancun. The first time we did not do an all inclusive at the Marriott casa magna. And it was amazing. First time at riu caribe and an AI. I have cruised and have been to many islands and all over the US. So I know how to travel.

The airport was easy, simple, and to the point. We had booked our transfers from best day travel and it was great. Shared a van but was at our hotel fast without issues.
Check in was ok. We were givin drinks. Had to wait a half hour for our room to be ready but it wasn't a big deal since we wanted pizza (which was pretty good).
I traveled with my friend, and we are both in our 20s. The room was 199. Last room in the first floor which was amazing with all windows and 2 balconies to walk out of. It did get noisy and the bed was VERY hard, but like everyone says we were so tired we did not have an issue going to sleep. Woke up with a sore back.

The food: I am a very picky eater and for good reason. I have severe food allergies and did a lot of research on the best AI for me. The buffet was rough. Breakfast was great!!! But lunch and dinner was bad news. I ate fries and pasta. Stuck to the pizza window for lunch. The steak house restaurant was very good. Should have eaten there every night. The Mexican restaurant was an issue. They made their fish on the same grill as the chicken so being allergic to fish I could not eat anything. I got so pissed off after watching my friend eat we headed to Carlos and Charlie's for burgers and yard drinks. Which was great. We also ate at señor frogs one night and it was great as well. Love all the señor frogs.
The pool and beach were amazing. Drinks were good. We were there for spring break and there weren't too many rowdy drunk people. It was fun. We had ran for a day, unlike cancun but we made the best of it. Got massages, they were decent. We sat in the hammocks by the pool and just relaxed. It was still fun.
Would I go back to riu caribe? I'm not sure only because of the food situation. The sports bar had stale nachos and old sandwiches. The entertainment staff lied and said their bus trip was 50$ to coco bongo and when we went to pay at night and get on their bus they increased it to 65$. This was after we paid 65$ for the dayglow paint party that was unbelievably crowded we couldn't even get to the bar to utilize the open bar.
We also did a day trip to Isla mujeres. For 85$. It was fun but the water was rough so we couldn't snorkel or do the kayaks. It was disappointing but still a nice day.

I do love cancun. Love señor frogs, Carlos and Charlie's, and hooters for drinks and snacks. Airport is easy. Weather is usually reliable. I'd go back to cancun, but still unsure about riu caribe. We booked it from bookit.com. And had a decent deal for 5 nights.
I did a lot of research for my trip and read all of the reviews. I hope this helps those who are deciding between this an other resorts :)

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Lindsay M
Reviewed March 18, 2013

For introduction I stayed at the Riu Caribe Feb 18-Mar 5 2013 with my friend. Both of us are from England, myself Mat aged 33 and friend Leigh.

On the hotel I had no complaints. The hotel was always clean and the cleaners do a good job cleaning your rooms. The waiters provide a good friendly service whether you tip them or not. You basicaly just feel like you want to tip them for the work and speed they go at making all the cocktails. The entertainment staff are very good too, they will get you involved if you want and leave you be if not. Mexicans in the resorts people are just nice friendly people full stop!

The rooms are very spacious and you have 2 sinks and a big walk-in shower.

You can get beach towels from the hotel. So leave your beach towel at home.

The food was good and there is plenty of choice. The only issue and its the same everywhere you can soon get sick of buffet food. But when you have a choice of about 15 meat and fish dishes including stations where they freshly slice things like salmon for you its hard to complain. And look out for the chinese theme in the buffet restaurant that was very NICE....The 3 other restaurants were all okay but I wouldnt get too excited about them as they seem to just serve whats in the buffet anyway.

The beach is big (I dont get the people that say it isnt!) and very nice. It does get windy there though alot of the time. And this seaweed problem isn not an issue at all I dont get the people that complain about this as they clear it all up at about 0700 hours.

The pool is very nice and there is music and entertainment there.

I weight train back home and the gym is suffice to have a full workout although the weights only go upto 40lb.

The drinks at the hotel were good and I stuck mainly to vodka as it was smirnoff. There is a good selection of cocktails. And if you need a pick me up for the night clubs-coffee martini's can be served up! Oh and the lager sucks!! But they do fill up your mini fridge every day at no cost and they put cans of lager in which taste nicer.

Every night the entertainment staff will go to a club at about 2300 hours and these cost about $50. This includes transport there, entry, and all your drinks. If you are being selective do a bar crawl to see a few (I did this with Thomson's), Coco Bongo, Mandala (doesnt look much on the outside but the house music night is fun!!) and City. I did 7 nights clubbing and had a great time and saw no trouble. But you do get offered drugs in the clubs alot. I just used the words f*** and off and it seemed to work!

If you need to travel round buses are passing every minute and it costs $1 each way and takes only about 10 minutes. The taxi's into town you can get for $4 if you haggle like I do.

Cancun itself is a great holiday. What spoiled it was the weather as half of my 2 week holiday it was about 28/30C and the other half it was very windy and raining. I didnt venture into the pool or sea for 4 days! There are good excursions to go on and just head to Coco Bongo, walk down the street opposite, and there is a stall that arranges tours for half the price the hotels will offer. I got the trip to Chitzen Itza for $50 each and the speed boat jungle tour for $50. Both worth doing.

So if you have booked here relax and look forward to your holiday.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Yorkmatty2010
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was my 3rd time in Mexico and my husbands 2nd. The only down part about our trip was the first couple days weather. Our flight was delayed an hour which sucked because we had to be at the air port by 330am but whatever. We went from feb 28th to march 7th

It was raining when we landed, finished by the time we got out of the airport but it was super humid. Didn't land till about 4:30pm so by the time we got to the resort it was dark so we didn't really get much of an idea of what our view was like till the morning. It was cloudy and overcast and so windy the first day, wore sweatpants the entire time, but it's to be expected this time of year. It got sunny the next day and was beautiful for the rest of the week.

Now onto the hotel. Super fast check in which was nice, got to our room which was soooo cold! (Awesome!) had two double beds which was a surprise so we went to the desk to ask about that but they couldn't really do much so they said it was ok to push the beds together and they would make it up like a king. Nothing spectacular about the room compared to a resort we stayed in in the Mayan but it stayed cold, to the point I needed a heavy blanket at night. Beds were super comfy as well. The only thing I disliked was the frosted window from the bathroom to the room... Little odd. Huge shower and bathroom and much to our surprise there was 4 bottles of alcohol, free, in the room. When we would get our room cleaned, every second day, we would tip a couple bucks and they were super good about leaving extra pops in the fridge and restocking it. After unpacking we went downstairs to find the buffet. OMG was they food amazing there. We didn't even bother making reservations at the 3 restaurants the resort had because the buffet had such a selection every night, with different food, some the same such as burgers and what not. I loved this about this resort. I think the only complaint was that after the lobby bars shut down the sports bar was the only thing open and they only had burgers, sandwiches and nachos for food and if it was gone, it's gone the rest of the night.

Maya at the frida lobby bar was AMAZINGGGGG. Loved him! Saw him every night we were there, took very good care of us even when overwhelmed and busy. Martin, that worked with him most nights, was great too.

Even on vacation we had some afternoons spent in the room just chilling out, the tv channel selection was great. We enjoyed the free 90minute a day wifi in the lobby as well. Never encountered that at all. There were shows put on by the resorts entertainment staff Monday thru Friday and proved to be quite entertaining when we did watch. We got a massage done by the spa staff and although parts were rough, it was awesome. Much cheaper than what we've paid for before and it was longer.

All in all like I said above the weather was probably the worst part and it got better a few days in. We did one day trip with sunwing, an all day snorkel trip. It was pretty good. Left at a decent time (10am) and back at a decent time (5pm) just wish we were told upon booking there was a park fee upon arrival of $3 each on top of what we paid to go. I think the most ridiculous thing we came in contact was in the gift shop they wanted $15 for a bag of lays BBQ chips in the resort...
You could go and get chips for a normal price at the convenience store located just outside the resort doors...
We went to the outdoor shopping area called la isla. Beware as most places we went into wouldn't take American money, only peso and you needed your passport to exchange it at the stands they had but outside of that the shopping was enjoyable and you didn't get hounded. We just took the public bus from the resort.
The beach was great, it was private so you could be there without anyone bothering you. Though the chairs by the pool were always taken really early by the sun bathers, there were two private pools at either end of the resort that you didn't need special privileges for, and you had no problem finding a spot, and it was quiet if you didn't wanna partake in the drunken games at the main pool during the day.

All in all we loved this resort and would definitely be back. The staff were excellent, the food was beyond excellent and we really felt we got our money's worth. Definitely hard to leave!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room and it was worth the extra $50 we spent to upgrade to that view though the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple