“first time in cancun”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #44 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The resort itself is very clean and food is like any other all inclusive. The personnel are all very friendly. The animation team is wonderful headed by Alessandro. Who is a great animator and comedian. Very happy to have met him and who encouraged and gets everyone going to participate in activities and games. Like his animation team all very friendly. My teenagers loved the hotel. The spring breakers are very loud and rowdy. Would have liked a little more quiet and relaxing vacation. One thing is lacking at this resort is its security on the floors and on the resort grounds. There was an incident with a drunk man on our floor and it took 15 minutes for security to come up. Not acceptable for a "5 star resort"
They should have security walking around at all times, but we saw none of that. If I would return ???
Another issue they do not wash glasses at the bars, they just quickly rinse. Not sanitary. I saw them do this everyday. The beach is to small you cannot take a long walk. Not sure, maybe if security is beefed up. Cancun is more commercial I prefer the Riviera Maya side more relaxing.

Room Tip: higher floors more quiet the lobby is in the middle of hotel and there are some rooms all the way u...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank antoniettarosato
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Caribe

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from riu caribe 27 feb to 14 march, I had read all the reviews on here before we went and I was kind of down on it as it had quite a few bad reviews, we were so shocked by this as every part of this hotel was 5 star the staff could not do enough for you the cleanliness was out of this world someone is always cleaning something. The cocktails were delicious,and I'm a really fussy eater but every day the buffet restaurant always had something for everyone, the a la carte restaurants were also so easy to book when people were saying that it was always fully booked, this was not the case the lady is there from 7am till 11am which I think is reasonable, in our 2 week stay we visited the steak house 3 times the Mexican twice and the Asian once, so people are wrong when they say they could never get a booking. The main pool was the busier and louder so we always opted for the new pool as it was quiet.

The only problem with this hotel was overly drunk American teenagers/young adults who don't know when to stop the last three nights of our holiday it really got to me as we couldn't even sit outside of a night in the lobby and have a drink and play cards for the screaming and them stumberling all over the place and a couple of them vomiting, we were on the 8th floor and the last 3 nights I was woken up by loud screaming and running down the hall at 4am. Apart from that we really loved this hotel we wouldn't return as we feel from now on we would be more suited to couples only but would definitely would recommend it to young families and couples.

• Stayed: February 2013
9  Thank lynsey24
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just got back from a fantastic vacation at the Riu Caribe. We have been to many all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and I really can't find fault with this hotel. We honestly couldn't believe how efficient the staff were at check in and commented on it at the time. Instead of dealing with each of us one at a time they handed out sign in forms and welcome beverages to all of us and as we completed them we were handed our welcome packages and keys. I have never seen this before and it was brilliant. We paid for the oceanview room and were given a stunning room on the 9th floor in the middle of the resort. I agree with some reviewers that this might not have been nesessary as most of the rooms have great views but I really enjoyed the view. The mini bars in the rooms where a bit of an overkill which we really didn't use that much being at an all inclusive and all, we would have much preferred a coffee maker in the room but to each their own. The drinks were good, they had the regular cheap no name stuff but if you asked for the name brands they were more than happy to give it to you. As for the resort it was stunning and the recipricating Riu Cancan was equally beautiful. We enjoyed all the restaurants and had no problem securing a dinner reservation. The Mexican and Steakhouse were our favorites and the staff at the Mexican went out of their way for my birthday. The maids did an amazing job expecially on my birthday providing a balloon canopy around our bed not to mention a cake made out of towels. Koodos to all of them, one of the best birthday's ever. As for the entertainment and bar staff we thoroughly enjoyed them. You have to get involved and participate to really enjoy the experience. The resort is about 3 km from the bar zone and is easily walkable or a quick bus ride. We went down there several times to shop and walk around and then hopped across the street to enjoy the Riu Cancan for meals and beverages. The hotel is really close to the ferry to Isle Mujures which is a must. It's a $17 boat ride and then rent a golf cart and bomb around the island. We also booked a Chitzen Itza tour by the boat ramp at a fraction of the cost that Sunwing wanted to charge. The resort has lots of lounges, palapas, pools and bars around the resort and the water is one of the best to swim in. This resort is well worth a look and I would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: The higher the better. If they give you one of the penthouse rooms there is no elevator that goes t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WildWildWild
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We took a 3 generation holiday to Riu Caribe (Mother, Daughter, Granddaughter) It was wonderful.... I don't usually go for a large Resort type holiday but I am glad I did... The Hotel and ground were clean and well kept, the rooms were clean, the service was terrific, the food was amazing... We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves... The only complaints are that we had was upon arrival for whatever reason all the the room had been cleaned and ready for us but there was used towels in the bathroom and it hadn't been completely clean, but this was quickly rectified and the rest of the week was smooth sailing.... my second complaint would have to be the beds not comfortable AT ALL.... but went to the spa and had a wonderful hot stone massage and that helped a great deal.... We would go back in a heart beat and likely will at some point.....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dashewb
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My three sisters and I had a great time at the Riu Caribe. The property is kept very clean and the rooms were immaculate. Views from each of our room were spectacular! We found that the food at the buffet was very good and we liked it better than any of the three restaurants and I suppose it was because there was such a huge selection of food items. We found the staff at the hotel helpful and always smiling and attententive. There was only one occasion when a waitress was a little less than herself that day. (I guess we all have an off day once in a while). My sisters had a problem with the air conditioning in their room the last few days of our stay and one of my sisters mentioned that the bed was sagging in the middle. On the other hand my room had no such problems. The beach was small but very neat and because we went at "high" season, chairs could be scarce. However, we found that depending on whether you want to be on the beach or special seating by the pool, go early in the morning and set towels out for your seats, go to breakfast, then to the beach or pool. Everybody seemed to do this. Because of the all-inclusive nature of this hotel, you really don't have to bring much cash, however, we did tip the maid staff everyday and made sure we left a little something for service at the restaurants and even the buffet waiter. They really appreciated it and it cost us little to be well taken care of. Mind you, none of us are in the "big spender" category, but a $5.00 tip goes a long way. One other thing I should mention is how great the activities directors are - they try to get everyone involved in an activity on the beach, by the pool and the shows in the evening were neat and fun to do----if you can stay up that late! My sisters and I loved it - and we are all over 50.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor with a straight on view of the ocean - I would stay away from the interior...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Watergirl323
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a BLAST at the Riu Caribe in Cancun! I took two college girls (one which was my daughter) to have a long weekend of fun in the SUN! The staff at this resort is a 5 STAR RATING! We made friends for LIFE with the Entertainment Staff who made each day exciting and fun. The bus trips to the night clubs were awesome and the pool-side and beach entertainment like volleyball & soccer games, darts and workouts were tops! The reasons for a 3 star rating is 1) awful beds 2) so-so food 3) closed off beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2013

my wife and i spent a week here. the hotel was fantastic. very clean. staff were great. the service was amazing as well as the food. all rooms have a great view. close to everything.entertainment was great.all reasterants great.beach small but ok .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scott m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Hotel Riu Cancun
Hotel Riu Cancun
#32 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!