“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Hotel Riu Caribe
Ranked #45 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I have just got back from a 2 week stay here booked through First Choice Holidays and I have to say we loved the place.

The bookin was no problem - they had all our rooms, keys etc all sorted. All we had to do was the usual bookin form - which wasn't hard at all.
We were shown to our rooms and the luggage was bought up very promptly by the porters.
The room was very clean and tidy throughout - with maids coming in every day to "tidu up". Towels were changed regularly.
One think we did note was that the majority of the electric is turned off when you take the key out of the electric slot but this is easily ouvercome by leaving a spare towel card in it. The maids won't touch that so if you want to leave your phone/toothbrush/kindle etc charging then it's not a problem.
All the staff are very friendly, especially the entertainment team and the bar staff - nothing is a problem.

The only problem we had was the recepition area is open - a constant breeze blowing through it and as such, come evening, you can get a few mosquitos around so wear mozi protection 24hrs a day - this is the onlt reason the hotel hasn't been given 5 stars

Definately recommend it and we will go again.

Room Tip: We had a high floor - 9th - as you can still hear the entertainment on some of the lower floors
3  Thank dbdave
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Caribe

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed in family @ Riu Caribe bettween October 8th to October 12th.
Upon arrival during check in, there was a BIG PROBLEM.
We made the reservation thru Expedia, over the phone.
We had request a kid bed and also a high floor room with ocean view.
NONE of these where request were ready. They're honored the kid bed, but our room was on the 1st floor, number 178.
With a little view of the ocean, lots of noice coming from the lobby.
We were not happy. I had show them the several emails I sent to Riu.com requesting a high floor room.
The answer: WE DID NOT RESPOND TO YOUR EMAILS BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A COSTUMER OF OUR.
Riu said that EXPEDIA LIES to his costumers.
NONE of THE RIU OR EXPEDIA WANTED TO RESOLVE OUR PROBLEM.
We were @ the lobby for hours. With a 6 yr old. They did not care at all.
The Manager was INNOPERATIVE. Mr. Rene an Mr. Manuel Rosillo.
Hotel WAS NOT TO CAPACITY AT ALL.

Room: average, clean. Beds: Hard, but no complains.
Room cleaning: very good.
Food and restaurants: never had problems with reservations. Service: average. Food: good. fair amount of choices.
Tips: DID NOT MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.
Pool: one very noise with lots of entertainment. Another one very quiet.
Beach: quiet. No waves. Some days with sea weed. Hotel DID NOT CLEAN BEACH.
No service of drink @ the beach.
Wake up early and reserve a chairs on the beach. They fill up fast.
Lots of chair by the pools.
Hotel grounds: very very clean. All the time.

I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS HOTEL. I WILL NOT COME BACK.
DID NOT BLOW MY MIND.

Room Tip: Request a higher foor room. Lots of noise coming from the lobby.
2  Thank marisa f
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is nice, areas pretty clean, Food not good, Service is Ok, Bars are good, Front Desk kind of rude, Rooms are cleaned late and not fully cleaned, Restaurants waiters are nice. All in all a good experience, could be a bit better in some points.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank the_traveler_69_10
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am a traveler with Cerebral Palsy using a wheelchair and this was my 1st time in Cancun. Overall, nice place and food was excellent in most places. Lobby staff was not always accomodating and went out of their way for Spanish speaking guests. My room was nice and had a great view but had plumbing issues and overflowed each time. They were quick to clean it up but some of our belongings were ruined. We had a phone in the room that didn't work and we were told it would be fixed but never was. Mini bar and fridge in room always filled when you ask. I was disappointed in the fact that there were no beach access chairs to get onto the sand and no ramp access to the beach, however lifeguards will assist in getting someone in and out of the pool. Also, the "stay at one, play at two" deal not so easy considering the particular hotel that gives that is not in walking distance and there isn't wheelchair accessible transportation.

Room Tip: Rooms near lobby can be noisy at night.. Don't stay in rm 355 plumbing issues
3  Thank sassylibra0074
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Nice resort bad beach to small an overcrowded. At the end of stay had a couples massage . The oil gave me and my girl friend a rash. Food was ok . The large pools water was cloudy for three days .Room was nice and clean. Drinks were great . Staff were friendly but not always helpfull. Allways after youre money from the top down.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Itchy44881
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is clean, the food in the restaurants very good altho service at the Albatross in the evening was far better than during the lunch period so we avoided going there, unless it was raining, yet again. Our waiter in the evening Joel, was absolutely brilliant and nothing was ever too much trouble for him. The waiters in the hotel bars were ok as long as the tips kept coming, whereas those by the pool bar and the pizzeria pool bar and sports bar were only too happy to serve you. In fact at the pizzeria pool bar, the waiters would come round asking if you wanted anything. The room was a dissappointment, we were told our room had been refurbished and yes, it had, you could see all the filler in the bathroom tiles! The beds were uncomfortable and very high, one of the lights in our room was not working on the day we arrived and despite 3 requests to fix it and Sergei the assistants managers promises 'there is someone on their way to your room now' it was still not working when we left two weeks later. I really missed my cup of tea in the mornings or later in the evening, you can get tea and coffee from the bars but you can wait quite a while to be served and you can see the waiters groan when you ask for something as complicated as a cup of tea. Had I known we had liquor dispensers but no tea or coffee or making facilities I would have taken my own kettle and tea bags. Despite the above we did enjoy ourselves and met some very nice people, if you do nothing else while you are there going on the Captain Hook evening cruise is fun and really entertaining. The transport system is really cheap 9 pesos each no matter how far you want to go and there were lots of buses stopping just outside the hotel. We were warned to only use the blue buses but one day hopped on a white bus and nearly exited it via the drivers window!

Room Tip: we were on level 7 facing the newly built Riu Palace Peninsula and had a lovely view which was away...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kath S
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was a solo traveller in Cancun for the first time. I tried to do some research on which hotels to stay at in the Hotel Zone. I picked up Riu Caribe based on affordability, location and reviews of other people who stayed here. I was a bit worried about the negative reviews of the room and food here but nevertheless I booked myself here and took the plunge and I was glad I did. They put me on the best possible room I could have expected which is on the topmost floor of the hotel ( 998 ) with a beautiful view of the Caribbean Sea. The room was clean since they just finished the renovations of the whole hotel around Aug-Sept. Airconditioning was working just fine. Bathroom was very clean. With regards to the restaurants and food on the hotel, I don't have a single complaint on it. The food was different daily. I specifically enjoyed the food at the Albatros . Haven't had the chance to dine on the Steakhouse or The Mexican restaurant as I was unfortunately late from my tour bus. You need a reservation from 7 AM onwards to dine on the specialty restaurants of the hotel for the next day. The hotel staff and restaurant workers are hardworking people and made sure your stay is enjoyable and comfortable . im not much of an alcohol drinker but no complaints on the beers and margaritas and tequilas i got :) .My only complaint probably is the mattress on the bed which is a bit hard for me. For these reasons, I would probably book again on this hotel or other Riu Hotels as I was impressed with the service and food which made my first trip to Cancun worthwhile and unforgettable for a solo traveller.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Bryan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Hotel Riu Cancun
Hotel Riu Cancun
#33 of 176 in Cancun
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!