“THE ULTIMATE ALL INCLUSIVE ON EARTH”

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #54 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
A TripAdvisor Member
“THE ULTIMATE ALL INCLUSIVE ON EARTH”
Reviewed July 18, 2004

My husband and I (very late 30's) stayed @ GCPS
for our 10th anniversary July 8-15. I like everybody else poured over every review as this trip was very important to us and LONG overdue!!
I am a clean freak, this place was spotless, spotlless, spotless.This is a truly beautiful resort. The marble floors, sculptures, and design are magnificent. Very rich and impressive. The staff is beyond wonderful and the service is better than even the best we've had in Boston & NYC by a long shot. Shang-ri-la would cost $250 in NYC EXCEPTIONAL FOOD HERE!!! We had the upgrade 6th floor(pretty quiet) except for people letting wind slam their doors shut.
In room dinner is an incredible experience. (Food from Shang-ri-la served) Overlooking the most stunning beach and ocean you will ever lay eyes on I SWEAR. The luncheon boat cruise(included in upgrade was so fun-again food was excellent) I actually belted out AC\DC in a name that tune game in front of 100+ people! It was hilarious. People truly let their hair down here and roll with it. We met dozens of people from all over the world-all of them were #1 fun!!! It can get wild at the Tiki Bar(we were honorary bartenders) body shots, bar top dancers, and the tequila flows!! Some nights tamer than others. Some nights people did go to the clubs. Ask for the very "special" apron with the giant(I do mean giant) surprise one of the bartenders wears. We laughed till we cried. I have a roll of film I am scared to get developed!! I have never had more fun in my life, never had food any better or relaxed so good. Shopping best at Kukulcan Plaza(A.C. MALL!!!Good prices) The open air flea markets are scary. American Change hard to get!! Take a ton of singles*Tip well*Don't forget the cooks behind the counters. They work their ----- off!! The people we met were truly amazing and interesting. There are not enough words to praise the staff that never sleeps. (They squeegy your room windows) We laid at the beach so we could care less about the pool but it is only 4ft deep and pretty cloudy. Cancun is topless optional beach so dont go and dont ----- if you dont like it. What impressed me was people of all shapes and sizes wearing whatever or not wearing whatever and having a good time. Nobody judges-nobody cares-it's your vacaction so do as you please!!! People went topless (myself included) who have never done anthing like that before. Your attitude will lighten up. You will be waited on hand and foot-suck it up and enjoy it!! Swore I wouldn't be long winded but I actually shed a tear when we left. CANNOT wait to return. Beds not that bad. Have a drink you wont notice.P.S. All high end liquor inside Beer Garden-Tiki Bar cheap stuff. You can get drinks anywhere and go outside. Sit along side wall outside kitchen in buffet. Their are a.c. vents-helps a little. It was brutal hot-no question about it. Tip your servers the 1st day, your table will be ready and they give you EXTRA special treatment. I spent three months scouring every island and resort on earth before booking this. It was worth it. Hi to all our new friends from Bob & Christy* This is the only all adults resort to stay in!!!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 17, 2004

Golden Crown has an all-inclusive day pass available. 9am to 6pm is $30 & 9am to 2am is $60. I did both and highly recommend it to anyone who is staying at a cheaper hotel and wants to swim & eat at a nicer hotel as I did. The beach is wonderful there. White sand beaches with crystal blue water. There was also huts available with drinks being delivered as you relaxed. Paradise! There are lockers and showers available in the Spa area. The food was pretty good too! Beware the ocean is powerful. I experienced some of the biggest waves I had ever seen. I loved it though! I also loved the fact that there were no kids running around. It was a pleasant change. The activities were great as well. I loved the pool volleyball and the losers doing the chicken dance covered in sand. Can't wait to go back!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 17, 2004

We visited the Golden Crown Paradise Club at the beginning of July. We were on our honeymoon and wanted something a bit different than the usual trip to Greece. We couldnt have been more impressed! THe food was excellent - definitely something for everyone, the weather was great and the staff were so helpful and friendly - they never stopped cleaning!!!! We werent expecting it but as an added bonus of being honeymooners we were put in a room with a Jacuzzi and mini bar (free) and CD player and TV. We got a free trip on a cruise (BOOZE CRUISE) but it was good fun and the food was excellent. We also got a Gourmet Meal in our room served by one of hte waiters from the Shangri La. THe food was fantastic - the whole holiday was out of htis world. I constantly kept looking around me and pinching myself. I felt so special to be there. SPecial mention to Memo at the beach bar - the finest bar man on the planet. And also to Fonzie - service with a smile!

• Stayed July 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
carthage, mo
Reviewed July 14, 2004

My husband, I and another couple stayed at GCPS July 8th thru 13th. We have stayed at other all-inc resorts before and this was our favorite. We arrived well before our check in time, and that wasn't a problem, they gave us our bracelets and we were able to start enjoying the food, drinks and activities. It was so nice to be able to relax without a bunch of kids screaming around us. We stayed as busy with the activities as we wanted, but some days we just relaxed. The activitity guys were great. They tried to get everyone involved, but didn't keep after you if you just wanted to relax. The nightly shows were pretty good too. We really would have liked to have had somewhere on the resort to dance after the show. They had a dance floor in the Beer Garden, but the music wasn't really very good for dancing and no one ever danced in there. They always had a group going out after the show to the local clubs and we could have gone with them. The Old Barn was our favorite restaurant. The service in there was great and we loved the food. We also frequented the snack bar down by the pool for lunch and also for mid-night snacks. (it is open all night) I could go on and on, but I will finish by saying we highly recommend it and we will go back again next year.

• Stayed July 2004
1 Thank tynae
Reviewed July 13, 2004

This might be a little lengthy but I want to provide a review that is as honest as possible since I relied heavily on these reviews when making my final decision to stay at the Golden Crown. First of all, let me say our stay was 7/9 thru 7/12 and that this is a pretty nice hotel overall. We enjoyed our stay very much and probably would not hesitate to stay at the Golden Crown again if we make another trip to Cancun without the kids (it is all-adult - no kids). The positives for this resort is many- FANTASTIC beach (one of the best in the area), the pool was sparkling clean and never overly crowded but there were a lot of sunbathers during the day, and of course some women chose to do so topless but it was no big deal and drew very little attention. I must say some of the women we saw probably had no business venturing outside topless but nonetheless, it was there if it matters to anybody. The food was usually good at all the restaurants, The Old Barn, Pier 12, and Paradise Buffet. Unfortunately, we did not get a chance to eat at Shangri-La which I heard was probably the best place of them all. Rest assured, the food is good and you will enjoy it very much. The staff do appreciate tips and even though it is an all-inclusive resort, tipping will get you better service all-around.

Now for the negatives, the first night we did not get our room. We were told they were full and had to stay over at the sister (family) resort, Crown Paradise Club. However, as agreed, when we returned the next morning, Golden crown gave us the best room in the house for the remainder of our stay. I am not sure what the scam is they run, or if it is a scam at all, but I heard this happened to a number of people. In fact, when we were checking out, there was a group that had been bumped their first night and they were in the process of being bumped on their last night. They were not happy campers. I wouldn't have been either. The drinks flow freely but I am not sure why, maybe they were watered down or something, but I consumed margaritas throughout our stay all day long and never got what you would call drunk. They used Cuervo tequilla but I never got drunk and I did not see any others that were completely wasted either. You might want to keep this in mind if you are seeking a drunken getaway. However, I have heard this could be expected at almost every resort in Mexico. Anyway, all things considered, it was a great stay and we enjoyed it and the little things that were not perfect would not prevent me from staying at this resort again or recommending the Golden Crown to someone else. I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed July 13, 2004

Myself (single male) and three friends (one couple and a single male) (all mid/late 20s) stayed at the GCP from June 20-June 28. We arrived at 10 am. Instead of sitting around until check in, we got some drinks and laid out by the pool. We were able to check in early (2 pm) and received 2 lagoon side rooms. We were told the ocean view were unavailable and didn’t feel like moving rooms the following day, so we accepted the lagoon rooms.

Rooms: Nice. Clean. Most reviews say the beds are hard. I’m fairly easy to please and thought the beds were adequate (I travel with work and used to the Ritz and high-end Hilton’s and Marriott’s). If you have a few drinks, you won’t even feel the difference.

Food: Above average for Cancun. Breakfast buffet was good. Wide selection of breakfast food – including boxed cereal which I ate every day. The snack bar was adequate for lunch – they served burgers and chicken nuggets. I got the filet every night at the Old Barn and thought it was ok. Service was a little slow sometimes, but not a big issue. The snack bar is open late and is the perfect snack after the clubs/bars at 4 am. Didn’t go to the International restaurant but heard portions were small (they seemed to be more into the presentation of the food rather than the size).

Bars: Tiki bar was a lot of fun – both during the day and early evening. There was always something going on and always had a good crowd. Didn’t go there at night but heard it was fun at night as well. Service was fairly quick and rarely had to wait more than a few minutes for a drink. I recommend getting a souvenir cup in the gift shop. It’s bigger than the 8 oz. plastic cups the bar uses.

Pool/beach: The only drawback was the lack of a swim up bar. The pool area was not crowded compared to other resorts I’ve been to in Cancun. Even if you came to the pool at 11 am, there was no problem getting chairs (and we needed 4 chairs for our group). The beach was extremely clean and not crowded at all.

Staff: The wait staff at the pool was extremely friendly - even friendly for people who did not tip. We didn’t deal with the office personnel other than to check in, so I can’t comment. The activity staff (Carlos, Alfredo, Eva) was a lot of fun (once again, I’m biased since I participated in the activities). The Old Barn staff was extremely friendly.

Water activities: Excellent. My opinion is probably biased since I participated in the pool activities (primarily volleyball and water polo) every day. It’s a great way to meet people.

Other guests: All the guests staying at the resort were extremely friendly. Since it’s a relatively small resort, you saw the same people each day. A lot of guests (I’d say ~30%) came from the UK. Also, there seemed to be a lot of couples early in the week but more singles showed up later in the week. No kids running around the pool is a plus.

Overall: I’ve been to Cancun 5 times and this is the best place so far. Above average food, friendly waitstaff and nice rooms. I would definitely recommend the GCP and plan to be back in 2005.

4 Thank gvreilly
aberdeenshire, scotland
Reviewed July 13, 2004

Stayed at the Golden Crown from 15th - 29th june 04 with our 3 kids and one of their friends.(all in their early 20s). Originally booked for the Avalon Grand, 2 days before departure Airtours phoned to say we had been relocated to a hotel 2 hours from Cancun.

Bitterly dissappointed, we arrived in Mexico feeling pretty cheated. However the rep then informed us we were going to the Golden Crown so we didnt know what to expect...Incidentally many people we spoke to were not booked for this hotel so dont know what thats all about.

Greeted with the proverbial 'Golden Crown' cocktail (many more followed but do ask for mucho rum!) we were given our lagoon side rooms, i asked for an ocean view and was given one with no extra charge the following day. Make sure its on a high floor and the view is spectacular. Loved the hard beds too!

This hotel had everything any of us could have asked for. Plenty of organised entertainment and clubbing if you want it, but an exceptionally peacefull atmosphere generally(although Jose could sure get things going at the beach bar! )
No kids was an added bonus esp when you compared it to the Crown Paradise ( Phew! eat your food and get out!)
Met some lovely people.Hi Mirabelle from Texas! Skip and George from Chicago! ( even if you were after my man!) And the Irish and Welsh lot - what can i say except i hope your eyes are better!

Dont think i would give it a 5* rating esp when compared to the Ritz Carlton next door - but then it doesnt have Ritz Carlton price tag either!
The beach is to die for and the people are fantastic. Bring plenty of 1$ bills for tipping and bare in mind 24hr room service are not allowed to use the lifts and the heat on the stairs leaves you gasping.

Found out at checkout you get TV remotes from recep and they will come and tune in English channels. Didnt miss it .

True to form Airtours forgot to put us on the airport bus list so had to pay 40$ for a taxi. This was after an 8 and a half hour delay which meant missing connecting flights etc etc etc. Oh and prepare yourself for Cancun airport, 5 hr q - terribly disorganised- but they do it all with a smile!
Worth it though as all 6 of us had the time of our lives!

I do hope i havent raised your expectations too high because that can only mean one thing, but its like everything else in life KEEP THEM REAL - and you wont be disappointed!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS YOU LUCKY PEOPLE!

3 Thank baselisk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#49 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun? Share your experiences!