Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #53 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
WASHINGTON TWP, N.J.
“Great time”
Reviewed June 9, 2004

Stayed for a week at the begining of June. Had a great time. food was very good. Bed were hard but after two tequilas my wife and I were right to sleep.
the staff was terrific. My wife and I are in our late fifties. A nice quite place. After the nightly show we would stop in the Beer Garden for our two shots of tequila each. After the first night the bartender knew our order, his name was Guillermo? a very friendly bartender. The entire staff at the hotel was excellent, always sometime going on.

• Stayed January 2005
1 Thank 89REDVETTE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,107)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Green Bay, WI.
Reviewed June 5, 2004

My wife and I, and another couple (early 30's) went here for 3 reasons: 1. No kids, 2. impecable and consistent reviews on Tripadvisor, 3. all inclusive plan. We stayed Feb 27th - March 3rd 2004.
We were not disappointed (get the crown/club rooms with the Jacuzzi's, an inexpensive upgrade). Food was great (funny thing, I have to go all the way to Mexico to a freakin' free buffet to get decent Fettucini Alfredo), and the staff was fabulous. Rooms were cleaned spotless every day, fridge restocked often, and Fonzie at the beachside palapa bar remembered our names after one introduction (how does he do that...?). No timeshare pressures, no rude staff or arrogant tip chasers, great beach and pool area. We did not go to either of the 2 upscale restaurants on site (I did not bring a shirt with a collar, no did I want to wear one), so we stuck to the "Old Barn", poolside grill, or the buffet restaurant. The food was great at these 3 places, but keep in mind the "Old Barn" is not a place you'll get a $40 Ruth's Cris Steakhouse type steak, so don't expect one. They'd go broke giving those away. Drinks were strong without tipping or asking for it. I tipped a few bucks and they were downright flamable after that (thanks Fonzie). There's no domestic US beer here (or many other places for that matter) so plan on Corona or BYOB. The fitness center was decent too.
I've been to Cancun 4 times in the last year or so (Camino Real, Calinda Viva, Riu, Golden Crown Paradise), and this is the only one that makes me want to -not- try other hotels. I'm sure there are better places (the Ritz, etc...), but I'm not about spending 3 times as much for 10 or 15% better, I'd rather go 3 times as often. On the downside, we tried to get room service late at night, but they did not answer the phone (got an answering machine). Kind of disappointing, but there were alot of people coming back from the bars at that time, I'm sure they were quite busy. We did not want to wait, so we just went to sleep.

4 Thank Jag_Drivr
Glen Carbon, Illinois
Reviewed June 4, 2004

My friends and I were a bit leary (having not heard of this hotel and the fact that it wasn't a "4 star resort") when we were booked into this hotel by our travel agent. She had assured us that the hotel would be everything that we hoped for, so we went for it. Upon arriving, we noticed that there was some construction or renovations going on in front of the building, so it was a bit unsightly, but not a problem since we didn't come there for the outside of the building. The lobby staff were VERY accomodating and friendly. We were ushered to the lobby bar while our rooms were being prepared...took about 15 minutes. The room that we were given didn't have any air-conditioning (everything was wet and smelled like mildew) and then they mentioned that the air was out in the entire building. So, we were upgraded to a beachfront view on our second day and the air seemed to have been fixed. We didn't care about the room (typical hotel rooms) because the beach was UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE! White powder sands with turquiose-blue waters. One of the most beautiful beaches I've seen. There was a "tour guy" that helped us get all of our "touristy" stuff reserved: Swimming with Dolphins (highly recommended), Snorkeling, ATV's through the jungle...etc....but this is a review about the hotel. So, the staff was MORE than courteous and the fun activities director was silly and funny. If you didn't want to participate, you could spend hours just relaxing on the glistening white beaches listening to the waters crash. The hotel food was only so-so, but just fine for our late night cravings. The best part, by far, was the fact that there were no drunken teen-aged kids running around. We had noticed that there were plenty of those hotels around, but this was not one of them. The hotel was not stuffy and overpriced....it was exactly what you would want from a relaxing, laid-back Mexican vacation.

2 Thank Shalloola
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Golden Crown from May 9 to May 14. This was our third all-inclusive in the last two years and probably the best. Loved the staff, very polite, accomodating, and friendly. I tipped frequently and I'm sure that helped, but it was worth it. Ate at Pier 12 one night and Shangri-La all of the other nights. Our waiter, Julio, and the whole staff at Shagri-La were terrific. Pier 12 was very good also. We did not eat at the steak house, but most people who we talked to that did, like it too. Loved not having to make any reservations for dinner. Breakfast and lunch buffets were very good also. Can't remember the waiters name, but they were great. There are so many choices if you couldn't find anything you liked, then there is no pleasing you. Drinks were fine, maybe a little watered down, but you can have as many as you want. Buy the plastic Golden Crown drink cups at the the hotel gift store (only $2.50US), they hold more than the plastic cups given out at the bars. Yes, all you read about the hard beds is true, and we had some problems with our room key not working, but it wasn't enough to take away from a really nice experience. I was also impressed with the staff's command of English. For those of us who don't speak any Spanish, that made for no mis-understandings. We stayed in the Club Room, which is an upgrade of sorts. Extras include a jacuzzi and mini-bar (beer, water, juice, soda). Not necessities but worth the cost of the upgrade. The beaches are gorgeous but the water is usually rough so you can't swim much in the ocean. ALso, nothing against kids, but we are both in our late 40's and appreciate the adult only atmosphere. Next time we go to Cancun, we would definitely stay here again.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2004

This place was the perfect combination of relaxation and fun. We just got back on May 23d from our honeymoon at the Golden Crown. The entertainment staff was wonderful & was always out to have a great time. We visited the regular Golden Crown one evening & found it to be jam packed with people. The Golden Crown was extremely laid back - no reservations, no waiting at the bar, not too many people at the pool - it was exactly what we were looking for. There aren't words to describe the water & the beach. Absolutely amazing. The only complaint was with the snack bar - seemed to never open on time & we ususally got cold food. I have recommended this place to all of my friends & family. We plan on going back next year for our anniversary. E-mail me with any questions - please put Cancun in subject line

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 26, 2004

My friend and I stayed at the GC for 1 week in mid-May. We are two single females, early 30s, from the DC area - I had hoped there would be more single men but there really weren't many to be found at this hotel. There seemed to be a lot of couples at this resort; although I truly enjoyed the adult atmosphere and lack of kids running around. Yes, the beds are hard, but it really wasn't a problem for me. Our room was musty smelling & damp, but this is the ocean so that is what you will get. Besides, when you get back home and unpack your suitcase, you have a friendly reminder of your trip! We stayed on the lagoon side which was just fine since we didn't stay in our room all day. For the most part the hotel was quiet, although there were several occasions I was awakened in the middle of the night by people in the lobby area. The hotel is an open atrium design so noise tends to carry. If you stay on the 5th or 6th floors the noise will probably be greatly reduced. I found the food to be okay. I am by no means a food snob, but I was not overly impressed by any of the restaurants. Some of the dishes were good but for the most part it was just "okay." Steaks at the barn were questionable.

The hotel is small so I would suggest partaking in the activities. It's a good way to meet the other guests and make friends. As all of the other reviewers state, the activities staff are great and try to get you involved. Let your guard down & have fun for your stay - they also give prizes so there is another incentive to participate. I can't comment on the alcohol since I didn't drink much but the staff seem very accomodating to your needs. Everyone works hard at what they do and I think its a good idea to tip a buck or two to the staff. Our room was clean and overall comfortable. Pool & beach areas are nice. No problems with a shortage of beach/pool loungers or towels. I didn't go to all of the shows but have heard the Elvis show, and the 70's/80's/90's show are entertaining. Overall I only give three 'ovals' since I was not overly impressed by the hotel. An average place....next time I would like to try somewhere else - hopefully the Ritz or the Meridien next door!

1 Thank ElevenThirty
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed May 24, 2004

Arrived 05/10 and departed 05/13. Vanpool to hotel is $9 per person and a taxi ride back to the airport was $30 for two people. For the money, the GCP was excellent. First and foremost....the staff was unbelievable. I don't know if they make $3 a day or $3000, but I do know they work their butts off and tipping a few dollars here and there is greatly appreciated. They really went out of their way to make you feel welcomed, unlike ST. Marteen....but that's another story. The rooms were clean and everything was functional. The beds? Yes they are "hard", but so was being a teenager and we're all adults now. I ate at 2 of the three restaurants (Barn and Pier 12). The food was good overall. Nothing overly memorable in a positive or negative way. The breakfast buffet was definitely above average as was lunch (both served in the same dining area). My only complaint was the pool could have used a little more filtering. The water was never sparkling clean. I stayed at the sister club (Crown Paradise Club) on my first visit to Cancun. I would not recommend the CPC, but I would stay at the GPC again. A shout out to Mike from Montreal, Frank from Tampa and Roger from somewhere in England. I would also like to say hi to your wives/girlfriends, but I can't remember their names! Could have been the 2 or 3 Coronas I had....and a shameless plug goes out to Aquaworld for truly running a very professional operation!

• Stayed May 2004