“Can't wait to return!!!”

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #54 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
A TripAdvisor Member
“Can't wait to return!!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2004

We returned from Canun on April 6 we read all previous reviews and have vacationed all over the Caribbean for the past 10 years and this was the best vacation ever. We (two couples) are beach people and just loved this beach, not crowded and the adult only atmosphere is super for those without children. Our rooms were nicely decorated and well cared for. The bed was firm but fine for us. We had an ocean view room, slept with the AC off and patio door open to allow for the gentle sea noise (better after 2:00am when the Tiki bar closed -but even that noise was no big deal). I would like to point out a few improvements that could be made however. The tv stations available were terrible for those from the US. There was none of the major networks featured, only CNN to keep you up to date with the news. (Not that we went there to watch tv but from time to time it would have been nice to catch something familiar - another resort we visited had one of the major networks - that was fine). For all you computer folks the internet machine in the bar was terrible. It was a super slow connection, powered by coins that it ate as the time passed. Added to the slow connection was the frustration of a very touchy -touch screen. I spent too much to get out a single message home. Be careful about the signs for the bathroom. They are all marked WC but are accompanied by symbols that you have to think about before entering. I saw more folks enter the wrong room. Finally don't put your hand out to stop the elevator door from closing as is the practice in our area at least. The "eye" is set very low and the door keeps closing, causing possible pain. These concerns were minor to accept, compared to the positive value of the resort. I is a great place we plan to return.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 15, 2004

We were extremely pleased with our stay.
1. Room- The room was very clean. Everything worked properly. If you were promised an ocean view (even numbered rooms), just mention it and you will get it.
2. Staff- Everyone was friendly and helpful. Lilli, who serves drinks poolside and beachside is exceptional. She is very helpful and friendly. She will remember what you drink.

3. Food- We did not expect gourmet but did expect decent cruise quality. The food was better than we expected. The breakfast buffet should satisfy everyone. They will make you any omelet or egg you want.
We found smoked salmon, cream cheese, etc. For lunch I preferred the sit-down seafood at Pier 12. My wife liked the buffet in the hotel and snack foods poolside. For dinner the Shangrila was satisfying. We did not care for the Old Barn but the steak was OK.

3.Ambiance- If you don't want to see or hear kids, this is perfect for you. Activities include, Yoga, water aerobics, beach and pool volleyball. We did not use the spa or workout equipment but they looked OK. We did not go to the entertainment. Note: there was toplessness which was not an issue for us. The staff encouraged participation in a good natured way. The consequences for losing is very entertaining if you aren't a prude.

Drinks- Only beer is Corona on tap. Wine is house which was fine. Mixed drinks were weak. We ordered our mixed drinks with a separate shot and it worked fine.

Tips- They are not requested or pushed. We always tipped and it was greatly appreciated.

Bottom line- exceeded expectations.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2004

We have just returned from this resort after a fantastic week long holiday over the Easter break. We had previously stayed at the Crown Paradise with our son, and decided to visit this sister hotel with friends as it was Adults only. We really have had the best holiday ever. On our arrival we were given a lagoon view room. As I had read the reviews on this website, we insisted on an ocean view room, but the only ones available were the upgradeable rooms with jacuzzi, at $30.00 per night this was well worth it. The view from the room was incredible. The food at the hotel was great. We ate at all of the restaurants, and never had a bad meal. The daily entertainment staff were great, and kept everybody going all day. The beach bar staff were fantastic, especially Alfonso, Jose and Lili, they always remembered your names and drinks orders. All in all a very memorable holiday, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

3 Thank ashbyinoz
Chic. IL
Reviewed April 13, 2004

My husband and I have just returned from the Golden Crown Paradise Spa...WOW! We were there from 4/4 to 4/11/04 and enjoyed every minute!
I also had read all the reviews before I left and decided that there were a lot more favorable ones than negative. I can hardly wait to return to this wonderful place. Seems like the biggest criticism was the hard beds and yes they were hard but we just went to Wal-Mart and bought an egg crate for the mattress and then it was just fine.
Wal-Mart had tons of them, and you know the locals are not buying them.
Only $20 for a King-Size, a good deal I thought. We ate in all the restaurants and if you cannot find something you like to eat here....well. My least favorite was The Barn but that is because beef just tastes different in Mexico. We loved the Pier I Seafood restaurant. They change the menus in all the restaurants on Wed. so there are completely different things on the menus twice each week. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was just great. Lots of "cook to order", a very large variety and fabulous desserts, you could even have ice cream. The snack place by the pool is open 24 hrs and you can get things to go and take to the pool bar like a big plate of nachos. Room service is available 24 hours a day and the menu changes according to time of day. The spa facilities were nice here too. Took advantage of the free excercise equipment, free hot tubs and cool tubs, sauna, steam room. I also had a message and it was just wonderful and I thought the price was more than fair. It was $55 for a one hour massage. I loved it, treat yourself! I think the thing I really enjoyed about this small resort was the service was more personal, you got to meet a lot of the other people and you never had to wait to eat at the restaurants and you never had to fight to get a chair at the pool. There were always plenty of chairs by the pool, in the sun or shade (nice shaded area by the pool) and of course there were lots of palapas on the beach. If I were to compare this to something I would say it is like being on a very nice cruise only you are not on any kind of schedule. Always food when you want it and you make your own plans and excursions. You can easily rent a car for one day like we did, think it cost a total of $45 for 24 hrs. We drove to Playa Del Carmen and took the ferry over to Cozumel for part of the day. When we returned it was toward evening and we did some shopping in Playa Del Carmen. Man, that place comes alive at night and there are blocks and blocks of shops and restaurants.
Rather a carnival or fair atmosphere at night. All in all, we loved this vacation and hope to return here again soon.

3 Thank B4AliKat
Reviewed April 12, 2004

My husband and I were in love with the resort from the minute we arrived. We stayed at the resort from April 3-7. When we got there we were greeted with drinks while checking in. After checking out our room(which wasn't a ocean view) we went to the front desk and for 30.00 a night upgraded to the Club room with an ocean view. Totally worth the money. The food was great, especially since I didn't have to cook, the view was the most beautiful I had ever seen, the people were so very friendly(especially Lilli). Tipping wasn't expected at all. We tipped a lot because the service was wonderful. I left with 50.00 usd in dollar bills and came home with about 11 left. I never felt unsafe. We locked up all our valuables in the safe in the room, so we didn't have to worry. We are making plans to go back every year. Why try anywhere else. I was completely satisfied!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 10, 2004

We visited the Golden Crown from April 5-9, 2004. I must say I was a little disappointed. I had read all of the reviews before I left and figured people with negative reviews were just picky. The restaurants are okay and the food is average - but unless you tip at least $2.00 per meal, we found that the staff was cold to you the next time you came in. We sometimes went to lunch right from the beach and didn't have money on us and the next time we went in that restaurant, we didn't even get offered a beverage from the waiters- we had to get it ourselves. The bartenders were the same - unless you were tipping on a regular basis, you would wait until they waited on the whole bar before they got to you... and there was no friendly chatter. My biggest concern was the security. We had hotel staff entering our room at all hours of the day and night. If you didn't have your bolt and latch on, people were walking into your room up until 10 pm. This makes me wonder why they were coming in. We are not partiers, so we were often in our room by 9 pm. One evening we had someone trying to enter our room at 1 am. Another time, we had someone knocking on our door at 11 pm, they were gone by the time I got to the door (we had been sleeping). Another time, we walked down to the bar to get a drink and when we came back (around 9 pm) it was evident someone had been in our room, as the sheers and drapes were pulled closed (which we had never done). One night, a maid knocked on our door at 9:45 pm to ask if we needed towels - she looked surprised when I opened the door. The maids would come and take the tips right after we left the room (9 am)and they wouldn't clean the room until up to 3 pm. We were in and out of the room all day, because we were mainly on the beach. We were never able to take an afternoon nap, because the maids weren't done - and/or would be coming back in to bring coffee or toilet paper or towels or some other thing.
So much for rest and relaxation! The worst part of our trip was the food poisoning I acquired on my last day. I was up all night long with vomiting and diarrhea, even fainting at one point. Upon checking out in the morning, when I told the front desk girl that I was sick and thought it was food poisoning, she said it probably was food poisoning and she would let the management know! (I am still sick 3 days later and will go to the doctor tomorrow if not better) The resort is beautiful (although moldy smelling in the elevators and rooms) and the beach is gorgeous. The view is fabulous. Another thing that surprised us is all of the topless sunbathers at our resort. We appeared to be the only ones on the beach strip with topless sunbathers. A little uncomfortable for us Americans to get used to! If we were to return to Cancun, we would definitely be looking for a different resort.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 6, 2004

We stayed at the Golden Crown March 31-April 5th. All I can say is we can't wait to go back. I loved that is was a smaller hotel, more personable. The wait staff was fabulouse, very attentive. Alfonso is the best bartender I have ever seen. He remembers everyone's name. The beds are a bit hard, but you are so tired it doesn't matter. Our room was spotless everyday, with fresh flowers, and little notes and treats from our maid. The shows and entertainment are nightly, they are pretty good. I honestly dont' know how Ava keeps going, she directs all the activities during the day, participates in the shows at night, and parties with you in the clubs later in the night. They are awesome. We didn't do many tours because we met so many nice people and didn't want to leave the resort. It was wonderful, I'm already planning a return trip with some friends. Overall, the food was good, small portions, but you can order more. The drinks were good, they don't skimp. The beach Beautiful.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#51 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun? Share your experiences!