“Great place to stay!”

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #55 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed February 11, 2004

There is nothing that I can say that can describe how wonderful this hotel is. The entertainment staff was amazing. Although, the beds are hard, the food, service and overall experience, more than made up for it. I met many great people that I will never forget. I am already planning my trip back. As a first time Cancun visitor I was extremely impressed.

Argyle, MN
Reviewed February 11, 2004

We were absolutely delighted with the Golden Crown Paradise Spa. The fact that no kids were buzzing around was wonderful! We visited the other Crown hotel, and it was a zoo, but great for families.
What I am trying to say, is the atmosphere is just what a vacationer wants at a nice resort. It was unpretentious and nonjudgemental. The service was excellent, and adults of all ages and interests were having a good time. No reservations needed anywhere, and no waiting for anything. The food was excellent. The hotel and grounds were very clean, as well as the food handling.
Recommend highly.

Reviewed February 9, 2004

our time at golden crown was amazing. the resort far exceeded our expectations. The food was incredible for all inclusive, we were very impressed with the quality, even at the buffet. I would recomend this resort to everyone- the entire time we were there, i don't think i heard one person complain about anything except the hard beds ( and they are very hard but pillows are nice and soft) and most hotels in cancun have hard beds including the JW Marriott. Everyone at this resort is friendly and will go out of their way to help you. Everything was impecably clean, including the rooms. this section of the beach is beautiful. i would stay here again in a second. we had the perfect vacation.

3  Thank tarajane
Reviewed February 8, 2004

We stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise from 2/1/2004 to 2/7/2004. If it was possible to give 3.5 stars I would, but as it stands, I lean toward 4.Overall our experience was favorable, but we were spoiled by the last all-inclusive resort we stayed at, Couples Negril in Jamaica. Here are some pros and cons of Golden Crown Paradise. (Bear in mind that I'll detail the negatives more than the positives; remember that we did consider this a 3.5 or 4 star resort, which is above average.)Pros:* Very friendly staff, including waiters and housekeepers.* Nice rooms, good cleanliness.* Very nice beach, crystal water, well maintained.* Small, so it's easy to get around and things usually aren't crowded.* Relaxed attitude toward towels (you don't have to check them out, just take them) and reservations (none needed at the fancy restaurant).Cons:* Sometimes-mediocre food, especially the high-end stuff (steaks, etc.), which is suspiciously similar to the mid-range stuff (burgers, etc.).* Watered-down drinks; more on that later.* Weak entertainment; sometimes comically so.* Inconsistent activities.* Eateries had so-so atmosphere.Steaks tend to be somewhat oily, and discriminating eaters will know that the cuts of meat aren't quite what the menu advertises.The eateries had somewhat weak decor and ambience.
Old Barn was Western-themed and would be better without the TVs playing music DVDs. Pier 12 had no wall or floor coverings and echoed.
Shangri-La smelled musty and a little mildewy, as if their air conditioner wasn't in good shape. None of these things were deal-breakers, but they did weaken the dining experience.Drinks tended to be weak if you didn't ask for more alcohol, and I think you must also ask to receive top-shelf liquor. It bothered me a little that you have to tell them to do things properly.I was really bothered by how they watered down the fruit juice, of all things. The orange juice was slightly weak but drinkable, but other juices (apple, cranberry, etc.) were so watered down that they tasted awful, and though this may seem a minor point, it really bothered me because it seemed so unnecessarily cheap.They can't get some food items right; for anything dairy-related, don't bother. I had a "chocolate milkshake" that tasted like non-dairy-creamer and some sort of artificial chocolate flavor; there's no cream for coffee, just packets of powdered stuff.There's no dinner buffet, just breakfast and lunch; I wouldn't think this a problem, but it turns out we missed the ability to just walk in and grab a couple of items - say, a dessert and coffee - without a sit-down meal environment.The activities scheduled on the board (bingo, volleyball, etc.) sometimes happened, and sometimes did not. We enjoy trivia games and other group activites, and they had less of these than at some other resorts, though they were preparing a Casino Night as we left.
Water aerobics and volleyball were the only activities that we saw happening on a daily basis.It would have been nice to have some drinks in a mini-fridge in your room, as some other places do. Not fully trusting the tap water in our room, we spent a lot of time scrounging for drinking water.The indoor mini-golf course is comical because of its statues of American entertainers (Elvis, the Blues Brothers... and Jaws???), and rarely if ever used. As another reviewer said, probably a bad use of space. Only one tennis court but it's very nice and surprisingly easy to reserve.We peeked in on the entertainment one night - the "Elvis Show" - and I saw a single guy with an awful pompadour wig, wearing clothes that were *sort of* Elvis-like, prancing on stage and lip-syncing. I laughed so hard that I had to flee immediately, or risk disrupting the show. A guest outside was concerned for my well-being, and actually asked if I was all right. :) A different night, the show was better, but still standard resort fare - lots of lip syncing, some dance, numbers, some public humiliation of victims from the audience... par for the course.The resort was filled with Americans and Canadians. Judging from the very low Speedo and bare breast count, almost no Europeans. I'm just mentioning it in case it matters to you; we don't much care one way or the other.The bottom line is: This is a nice, friendly place with good people, mixed food, and mediocre entertainment. If food and entertainment are high on your priority list, as it is for us, you may be mildly disappointed with some aspects of your stay. Then again, this may just be par for the course for Cancun. I don't regret our stay, but if we return to Cancun we'll try another place - probably a non-inclusive. We hope this helps you make your decision!

3  Thank Joseph B
Grand Bend, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2004

Great Vacation at the Golden Crown Paradise January 27-February 3.

We used tripadvisor to make our decision to choose the Golden Crown Paradise based on the positive reviews on this site.

The Personal service is second to none, from the entertainment staff to bartenders to the staff working in the fine restaurants. The food was good at all restaurants. Most of the staff spoke english quite well, and they seemed to enjoy their work. The Beach is beautiful, great for boogie boarding, and if you get an oceanview room that is a bonus as well. We had a Lagoonview room the first night. We simply asked Joseph for an oceanview room if one became available and sure enough the next day we were accomodated in an oceanview room no questions asked. We would definitely return to this resort for another great vacation.
If you go have a great time.
Tom, Dana-Lynn ,Greg, Lori

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago IL
Reviewed February 6, 2004

We Loved it. Best Food in Cancun all the resturatnts were awsome. I only whish they had more options after 8p Great Staff all verry nice and polite. Awsome enteraiment staff Alfredo Maricio and Lisa were so much fun. I only Wish was that it wasnt so far to the bus stop. Its a great beach. A great Value You will have a great time there

Danville, IL
Reviewed February 4, 2004

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Golden Crown from Dec 19-22, was very pleased with the service and food. Mattress was VERY firm, recommend bringing own pillows also. Very relaxing and quiet,not real loud or centralized around the party but close to downtown also. Buses are only 6 peso's, recommend using them instead of the taxi's. Will definately visit Cancun again!