“so clean!!”

Ranked #10 of 121 Specialty Lodging in Cancun
Cancun, Mexico
“so clean!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

you feel your self like you are at home, the transportation is so easy to go anywhere ,The rooms are well equipped and room service is rendered in a timely manner. i did a nice BBQ there with my neighbor so fore sure i will be back cheers!!

Room Tip: i was in (zen deluxe) its like a 5 stars hotel en so ask for it
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
It is great to know that our attention to cleanliness is noticed :-) We are grateful for the time you took in writing a review of your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Place is well situated, close to everything you will need. Quiet at night. Rooms are clean and comfy. If there is ever an issue, it is resolved quickly. Close to laundry, Walmart, pharmacy, etc...Highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: If you would like a little more space, choose the Zen Suite
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

1 Thank Roberto R
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
It is gratifying to know that you enjoyed your stay enough to plan a return visit! As you noted, our ideal location in the heart of downtown makes it easy to get around on foot since most everything you will need is close by. Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay!
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Art Deco is central to restaurants, grocery stores, shopping and transportation and is good value for your money. The property is also secure. The owner gives immediate attention to any problem that could arise. The owner was generous enough to offer us the use of his massage bed and he called his massuse for us and set up an appointment. There is a shared kitchen however we chose not to use it. We rented the Deluxe Suite which has 2 large closets and a private deck. The refrigerators are very small so that you cannot store much. There is a contract which is very onerous. Bring a copy of your contract with you and make sure you understand it. We recommend buying inexpensive sheets, pillow cases and pillows so you can relax when on the bed without worry of staining the bedding because if there is a stain you will be charged. The Wifi was excellent and there was always hot water. There is a business beside the Deluxe Suite which was quite noisy at all times of he day and night. We would stay here again as the safety and location are superb and any problem is solved immediately.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Suite and the Zen Suite are the largest.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
We are looking forward to your next visit in the summer! Thank you for the time you took in sharing your experience with other travelers. As you noted, we have an excellent massage therapist available by appointment, and when not enjoying a relaxing massage, there are many restaurants, parks and shops within easy walking distance. We are always grateful for honest feedback such as yours which helps us keep improving our guest experience.
Winkler, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was my first trip solo to an area I had never been. I found the location to be very convenient for restaurants, banks, supermarket and the ADO. The host was friendly and assisted with my arrival. Every morning the complex was cleaned and maintained. I was able to walk safely alone in the neighborhood and less than a five minute jog to the start of the Hotel Zone pathway. The only thing that would have made my stay better was to know the language. Keep in mind you are downtown Cancun and in an apartment and your expectations will be met. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
It is always gratifying to read that our guests enjoyed their stay in Cancun and Art Deco Suites! Our prime downtown location means most everything is within easy walking distance. Many of our solo female travelers describe our place as you have, calling it safe and clean. Thank you for sharing your experience here with other savvy world travelers!
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just got back from a month at Art Deco Suites and have to say that I was really pleased with the experience. I work in the hospitality industry and stay in hotels 3-4 months a year, so can be rather picky. As well, in making the commitment to stay someplace a whole month or more, instead of a week or less, my antennae were especially up and looking for anything that I’d have to tolerate for that amount of time. The owner here has designed a very unique concept in Cancun for mid-term stays (longer than a week and less than 6-12 months), and it works really well for what it is!

The neighborhood: the hotel couldn’t be any more strategically placed if you tried! Just 3-4 minute walk from the main bus station, and within a 5-10 minute walk you’ll find a huge range of restaurants, bars, grocery stores, banks, fast-food joints, and pretty much anything else you’ll need during your stay. I walked to the Walmart (about 20 minutes) three different times for groceries and sundries and just took a quick taxi back ($25-30 pesos) rather than carrying my bags back. Just down the back street is the main square of Cancun, a rather lively place in the late afternoons/evenings for locals with food stands and knick-knack stands and artisan work, etc. They do salsa lessons in the park just down the street on Sunday nights—very fun! And for my purposes, I was using the bus station or the vans to Playa del Carmen or the local buses to the Zona Hotelera or the ferry to Isla Mujeres just about every day, and you can find all of them easily right there at the bus station.

All this being said, I’m not terribly impressed with downtown Cancun as a place for international tourists, especially compared with so many wonderful places around nearby. The tourist-oriented places like the restaurants near the hotel have definitely seen better days, at least hopefully for them! However, it just depends on why you’re coming and what you’re looking for. The advantage of this location downtown is its easy access to all of those other places, and you’ll have a much more realistic experience of what Mexicans live like. While completely safe, this doesn’t have the “sanitized-for-your-protection” feel that those international resorts all share. So, for “living”here longer-term, this is the perfect location.

The place itself: the owner really planned well in designing the rooms, at least the newer ones in the back building—I never saw the larger or smaller rooms. The eight rooms in the back seem to be pretty identical (standard suites), and they’re definitely designed for single occupancy. Rather small and compact, but with pretty much all the bells and whistles that you’d want for the long-term. Comfortable bed, storage space for luggage under the bed, a chest of drawers for clothes, a rack for hanging clothes, a teeny work desk, a kitchenette with mini-fridge and microwave and sink, and a lovely little bathroom. There was plenty of room for the stuff that I packed for a month. The internet had a powerful signal from anywhere in the room or bathroom and was fast enough for editing and uploading video to the Internet, something very important in my case. There were some issues with it at the beginning of my month (discussed below), but when it worked, it worked really well. If you don’t speak Spanish, you may be dismayed at the selection of the cable channels on television, but come on, you’re in Mexico after all!

You pay for your own electricity—all other “utilities” are included in the room rental. And just as an example, I ran my air conditioner the entire time I was there except for one weekend away set at between 24 and 25 C (75-77 F), to the point where I was monitoring it but not worrying about it, and I paid $560 MXP (currently about $43 USD) for the entire month. Yes, it’s an expense, but considering the exorbitant electric rates being charged in Quintana Roo, it’s not outrageous by any means.

The people: this of course will vary for your experience, but while most people there were there for a month, there were a few people staying there for multiple months, so something must be working! It was a very international mix when I was there, offering fun opportunities to get to know people if you so choose. I was often up and out, so probably didn’t take advantage of that as much as someone else might. I did use the kitchen quite often, and the rules outlined on the website for keeping the kitchen clean are pretty scrupulously followed. Yay!

Issues: From having worked in or near the hospitality industry all my adult life I have come to the conclusion that the only way to have a perfect hotel is to avoid dealing with any people or any technology! Since that isn’t quite possible, there are always going to be situations that arise. And to me, the mark of a good hotel is how they deal with the situations as much as how they minimize their occurrence. The main issue during my stay was with the internet and with the cable television system. For the first ten days of my stay, the internet system in my room was having difficulties staying live, and for more than two days on and off, the cable system was kaput. Those of us affected were able to use the other router whose range didn’t reach to our rooms, but did reach to the common living area, so I was able to limp along o.k. and never was without service completely. Mind you, this was also during some of the worst weather that occurred in Cancun all this year, with torrential rains and flooded-out streets on multiple days. Despite the difficult circumstances the owner was onsite each day managing the ongoing situation and calling and re-calling repairmen and technicians to resolve the issues, to the point of replacing and upgrading the entire internet system. Once that happened and everyone’s laptops got linked in, all the difficulties disappeared and the sailing was smooth.

The only other minor issue was noise late at night. Even though it’s explicitly stated on the website and in the contract about a 10 p.m. curfew, several nights found a few people on the back patio talking late at night, and on my next-to-last night someone was doing laundry pretty much all night, noise that you can definitely hear in several of the rooms. This is something that the owner can only have so much control over and responsibility for since he’s not onsite at night. In any community, if nobody speaks up and there’s no enforcement of the rules, then there are no consequences for the rule breakers and the rule breaking continues. I wasn’t bothered much by the noise because I ran the air-conditioner at night and it drowned out just about everything, but I heard about the issues from other guests who were more affected by it. So, fellow traveler, this is not a reason at all not to stay here, just an issue that you can help manage as part of the community once here—something that I think most people aren’t accustomed to dealing with at “normal” hotels, but something necessary here.

Overall: Multiple thumbs up! There is no comparison to other places when it comes to value for your money for a mid-term stay, so I remain very impressed with both the market targeting and how the concept has been realized. Kudos!

Room Tip: Standard suites seemed designed for one person. Small size and lack of bathroom privacy mean that I...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Robert S
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
You are very kind to have taken the time and effort to write such a comprehensive review! As you noted, our location in the heart of the historic district means that most everything is within easy walking distance, and for day trips down the coast or to archaeological sites, the main bus station is just a 3 minute walk away. Staying in town also affords our guests the opportunity to live - and spend - like locals, instead of hotel zone tourists. Many of our guests rely on the Internet for work and as a link to home, which is why we have contracted 2 different Internet service providers in order to insure against connectivity issues. Cancun experienced the heaviest rains in years the first 2 weeks of your stay, and the Internet and Cable had recurring city wide issues, as did we. We were finally able to get back to normal with all our services and took the opportunity to upgrade hardware so that the same issues do not recur. We truly appreciate your endorsement of Art Deco Suites and look forward to hosting you again in March :-)
Branson, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I traveled to Cancun in May 2013 for a month in order to receive extensive dental work. The location is terrific (El Centro near ADA bus station). Art Deco is a very safe environment (one way in and out through locked gate) and close to everything. I took a bus to and from dental appointments....about 15-20 minutes to Hotel Zone. Other guests were from Russia, France, Kenya...a very interesting and diverse group. Owner is very proud of Art Deco and deserves to be. He was "Johnny-on-the-Spot" for any issue. My only complaint is that owner requires contract to be signed, but did not receive it until after I got there. Made for a couple of days where I could spend no money because he requires up-front payment in pesos and I was limited to $300 withdrawal at ATM. I recently recommended Art Deco to some friends, and they experienced the same thing. No contract until arrival. This may have to do with undisclosed costs which would skew the daily price. Still, I highly recommend Art Deco Suites. Deposit was back in my bank account before I arrived home!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank ButtercupNana
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
When I read a review of our establishment which is titled "Clean and Safe", it really makes my day! We truly appreciate you sharing your good experience here with other world travelers. In the past year we have seen a 400% increase of medical tourists at Art Deco Suites who come to Cancun seeking dental work, plastic surgery, and even fertility treatments. Our matchless location in the heart of downtown makes it easy to visit all the best hospitals and medical practitioners. Many guests like yourself prefer to spend their hard earned money on medical procedures for themselves instead of hundreds of Dollars a day at a hotel zone resort. Our affordable rates make it possible to come down for a relaxing month in paradise and return home looking 10 years younger!
Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was looking for a place to crash for a couple of months. It had to be clean and it had to have good Internet and flexible in rent. Both issues when you look for something quick and easy downtown Cancun. I ended up staying there for over 4 months. Owner is reliable, the place is clean and there are good rules to keep the place clean. It is placed central in Cancun and you can reach all areas very easy! I can recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We are grateful for the time and effort you took in writing such a nice review! Our top priorities are cleanliness, and a fast and reliable Internet connection, so it was great to hear that you noticed :-) Our prime location in the heart of the downtown historic district means everything is within easy walking distance. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you visit Cancun.