“Excellent studio room with aircon, wifi, TV and pool access”
Review of Art Deco Suites

Art Deco Suites
Ranked #8 of 166 Specialty Lodging in Cancun
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Very happy with my stay. Studio was clean and everything in the room was new. Bed was very comfortable and tv and wifi worked perfectly. Able to use pool next door with no problems (it wasn't necessary to buy anything from the restaurant in my experience to use the pool- a friendly smile worked fine!). Excellent water pressure and water temperature. Good social atmosphere between tenants but also a very relaxed/quiet feel if you would prefer to keep to yourself. New stove is a great improvement to the kitchen. Good location, close to food and entertainment area. Owner was very understanding when I damaged the mosquito netting and said he would fix it for no extra charge.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have en suites and are very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Olivia W
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Thank you for the great review! You were a great guest, and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Cancun!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I loved art Deco suites for 3 very good reasons. The value for my
dollar (and I searched for 2 months before making a decision) and
found nothing even slightly comparable for the money. This is truly
champagne living for a beer budget. Second reason: The location is
perfect. Right in the middle of the real AUTHENTIC Cancun, close to
everything yet quiet enough to disappear forever. Third reason: I
found the atmosphere at Art Deco so relaxed. It was unconditional
friendship from the very minute I arrived. I'll be coming back every
year. I just loved it. 5 stars in every way. You simply won't find
value like this anywhere else at such a reasonable price.

Room Tip: The Zen suite is the largest but all the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Brendon B
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Thank you for your kind review! The high lights you mention are why so many of our guests return year after year. With enough lead time, I will try to get you in the Zen Suite for your next visit.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Art Deco Suites for a month in June. We were coming from the U.S., so we read all the reviews and checked out the location on Google maps and decided it would be a great place to spend a couple months. It was easy to get to from ADO, the main bus terminal in downtown Cancun. The manager met us at the front gate to let us in and show us quickly around the place. He even had the air conditioner going when we got in so the room was nice and cool which I thought was a nice touch. The room was clean, but he had only provided one set of towels (One bath towel, one hand towel, and one washcloth). We were able to pick up an extra bathtowel in the morning from the guy who does the cleaning. Still just one washcloth though which was rather annoying.
As I said the room was clean and bug free, and remained bug free for the remainder of the say. Seriously, not one bug, which really made us happy. The room is smaller than it looks in the photos, but it was big enough for us both. Though, don't expect 10 foot ceilings. Not in the Deluxe suite anyway. The ceiling fan was a couple inches above my head. I'd say the ceiling was 8 feet. It was lacking the chest lf drawers as mentioned on the website. It also had no coffee maker in the room, which for us wasn't a problem since we don't drink coffee, but if you are looking for one, it's not there. The place is up to you to clean, which means you will have to go out and get cleaning supplies. Or you can pay the cleaner to do it, but it's not worth the fee. It is up to you to do the sheets as well, unless you want to pay the cleaner again to do it. This brings me to the laundry room. 70 pesos to use the machines in the building for one wash and dry cycle. You can do the same a couple blocks away for 30 pesos. The laundry room is nothing like the picture on the website. It's just a coin operated commercial washer and drying directly infront of a suite. The dryer (Which took over an hour to dry a normal load, and you have to set it twice) is literally a foot from the door. I felt sorry for these folks everytime somebody was doing their laundry.
The kitchen is an utter disaster. I really have nothing good to say about that except that the appliances work, exept the toaster. The stove works but you have to light it with matches or a lighter, neither of which is provided. The oven works, but I never used it and I suspect it's the same as the stove, you have to find a way to light it. The sink is big and when the water was working, the sink was alright. Dirty, but alright. There were dishes and silverware provided, but they were junk. All I found was a single bowl, and the plates were mostly cheap plastic plates that were all cut up from use. The silverware was all mismatched, and lots of them had rust spots and weird black junk growing from the handles. The cutting boards were all cut up and had mold all along the sides. The knives were mostly dull. The back left burner didn't work properly on the stove, it lit but gave off a terrible gas smell. The fridge mysteriously would leak huge puddles on the floor. We avoided the kitchen whenever possible.
There are two "gardens" on the property. Both are just rock covered areas with a few trees. The one if front is not a place to hang out, it's just an entry really. People smoke out there but that's it. The one in back was alright, but it's right infront of the majority of rooms on the property. It was a good gathering place when you wanted to get together with the fellow residents, and there was a BBQ. There is also a BBQ on an upstairs patio area, but that tends to smell up the whole upstairs of the main house where we were staying.
During our month stay we had the water completely shut off on us numerous times. The first time it happened we were in the shower, all lathered up, and the water comes to a dribble and then stops. So I have to wipe off with a towel and then pour our drinking water over my wife so she can get all the soap off and shampoo out of her hair. Our call to the manager was an entirely unpleasant experience. His response was that we would have to wait until tomorrow morning so he can call a plumber. Really? You manage a place with over a dozen suites and you have no way of dealing with an issue like this? You can't even say you will come out and check it out yourself? When I got frustrated and said that was ridiculous because we need to wash dishes, take showers, FLUSH OUR TOILETS, his response was to yell "I'm not a magician!" Way to assist your tenants. I don't want you to be a magician, I want you to be a responsible manager and come see what the hell is going on, at least make me feel like you care about the people here. The manager has a real lousy attitude which we would see throughout our time here. Eventually, he did come out, making it clear what an inconvenience it was for him, though he lives in the area. By that time the water had come back on, and he assumed it was because somebody threw some switch. Nobody did and we made this clear, but that's what he figured happened, and left it at that. Next time it happened he had somebody check the pump. Next time it happened everybody was too pissed to contact him since we didn't want his lousy attitude there. It happened like this a few times, the water would go out, it would come on a few hours later. Finally, after complaining to him a few times he had actually plumbers come and take a look and what do you know, they found a leak and were able to fix the damn problem in a day. Magic!
The internet works, though it comes and goes. I don't know what internet is like in Mexico so I have no comparison. I do know that if I had an internet business I would not have depended on it. The phone downstairs that supposedly has free calls to the U.S. and Canada didn't work from day one of our arrival.
The location was the best part of this place. Right downtown, near ADO, Yaxchilan Ave with lots of bars, and paque de las palapas with great cheap food. It's also semi close to the buses to take you to the Hotel Zone and the nearest beaches. And the air conditioner worked the whole time, and worked well, so that was wonderful. All in all though, I will be recommending to everybody I meet that they NOT stay here. If you're going for a few days you'll be fine, but don't stay here for any longer than that.

Room Tip: Deluxe suite has a balcony which was nice, but the location can be loud if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin C
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

We try to take the sweet with the sour regarding reviews, as regardless of their tone or motivation, something useful can usually be learned. As the reader may have discerned, this reviewer is the other half of the previous one and recites mostly the same issues. In response to the comments regarding the kitchen, we completely replaced all silverware, glasses, and dishes, added more cooking utensils and vessels, and put in a brand new, six-burner stove and also replaced the lighting to make things brighter. Thank you for your insight and help regarding our formerly lacking kitchen facilities. As for the laundry, most experienced travelers know that there is a premium paid for on-site convenience, yet our laundry cycle accepts a full 9 Kilo load, which if compared to local laundromats is less than half the rate they charge ($7.77 Pesos/Kilo vs. $20.00 / Kilo). Again, we are self service regarding laundry and the premium paid at a laundromat includes the folding of the clothing.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you read nothing more, DO NOT STAY HERE. The manager is a jerk and the place is not the way it seems on their website.
When we first arrived, everything seemed pretty nice. The room was clean, and there were no problems with bugs at all. Once, we had a gecko come in through the window--but that was it. So the place gets a "thumbs up" for that.
The worst part of the house is the kitchen and laundry facilities.
The kitchen is disgusting. The fridge leaks at night, covering the floor with water. The cabinets are old, with many layers of paint so that they're sticky and grungy. There are no designated cabinets for each room (which would make things a lot nicer), The stove is too small for the spot that it's in, so there's 6" on either side...and you actually have to use a match or a lighter (neither of which are provided) to light the burners. One of the burners doesn't work well and lets off a lot of gas. The ventilation is poor, and very loud.The lighting is also very poor. The toaster is grungy and doesn't work. The pots and SINGLE PAN are old and gross, just a couple of mismatched lids to go with. Completely inadequate. The dishes---god, the dishes. They're just mismatched, left-over, scratched up plastic plates...maybe two bowls in the whole place. Two drawers are filled with funky, rusty and grungy mismatched silverware, just tossed in the drawers. The cups...there are only a few, and these are also plastic, scratched up things that you would never want to put your mouth on. The sink is nasty, it's just a tiled hole in the counter and the faucet is hard to turn on and off, it has no flow-restrictor so water just splashes out. The cutting boards are MOLDY. We only cooked down there a few times and it was very ICKY. You don't want to spend more time down there than necessary. There's a walmart down the street, and we looked at the stoves and dishes and such...with a $1000 USD, the kitchen could be fixed up with a new stove, toaster, and matching dishes and silverware. But the management couldn't care any less...
The laundry facilities are also a huge bummer. When you click on "amenities" on the website, it takes you to a page that has a thumbnail pic above the laundry/kitchen section. That picture has two hi-efficiency machines in a very nice looking room with brand new cabinets. It looks like a room in someone's home. Very deceiving--as this is not a picture of the laundry facilities at all. What you really get is a funky old laundromat washing machine, and a dryer that takes over two hours to dry a single load. And it costs $70 pesos per load! Ridiculous. You can go do your laundry in half the time down the street for $25 pesos. Or have it done for you for not much more. And there are no cabinets or shelves in this laundry area, it's just bare walls and more grunginess. It's also right outside one of the rooms--so whoever stays in that room gets the pleasure of hearing the washer and dryer going all day, and people walking through to get to the outside area.
Cable TV and air conditioning worked well. No complaints there. The Internet, however, is NOT "super high-speed" and is absolutely UNRELIABLE. You get an incredibly weak signal, and it goes out frequently while you're trying to work or watch a movie. If you have to work online, Art Deco Suites is NOT the place for you. I can't believe the way he advertises it on the website. And the free calls to the US and Canada--good luck with that, the phone doesn't even work. He has this old portable phone with pathetic range and when you turn it on there's no dial tone--no one in the house has ever gotten it to work.
Our room did not have a coffeemaker...nor did it have "lofty 10' ceilings." My husband is 6'5" and really needs high ceilings--these were standard 8' ceilings and he had to be careful of the ceiling fan because it was right at his head. Also there are no "Egyptian cotton" sheets and towels--they're just standard cheap cotton towels made in Pakistan and Mexico, same goes for the sheets. We had mismatched funky old pillows on our bed. The comfortor was definitely not new--it had little tiny holes where the filling was coming out. And the bedframed was made of wood that was stained very dark but not sealed so all the woodstain rubs off onto your sheets and the bedspread. And the whole time you feel like you have to be extra careful because he'll charge you for anything that's damaged when you leave. He didn't do a walk-through where we could note any damages or things that weren't in new condition either, which is super shady.
We had a lot of trouble with our water as well. It mysteriously turned off one night and everyone was freaking out--we couldn't flush toilets, shower, cook, wash hands...and we all called and emailed the manager who said he would send someone in the morning--UNACCEPTABLE. We had to argue with him on the phone, and he told my husband "Look, I'm not a magician--it's Saturday night in Mexico!" So incredibly rude, but that's the way he is. Then the water mysteriously came back after a couple of hours and the manager had already "left his wife's charity event" (like we're supposed to feel bad about this) to come check it out. He then tried to blame it on the residents, saying we must have turned off the water switch. I tried to tell him that this wasn't the case, but he ignored that. And then a few days later, it happened AGAIN. This time we were covered in sand, trying to shower after a day at the beach. Obviously he had done nothing to make sure it wouldn't happen again, so it did. And it happened at least two or three more times until finally some actual plumbers came to fix the leak downstairs that had been causing it. He tried to cover by sending this ridiculous email saying that he's doing everything he can to make sure this never happens again, when he should've done that the first time.
The swimming pool that is supposedly available for the use of Art Deco residents...well that's technically true--you can go there and you can pay a cover-charge that goes toward food and drink, but they didn't know what the Art Deco Suites was and looked completely confused when we came all ready to swim. We had to pay $140 MXN each to use the pool. Not worth it. And as far as contacting "the staff" to arranage massages and such...this is just not true. There is no "staff". It's just the manager and Chano, who comes for an hour in the morning to clean. They don't have massage therapists or a spa that's associated with them at all. You can go to one of the nearby hotels and have this arranged, but it is in no way affiliated with Art Deco.
If you're looking for a well-managed place with all the amenities of home, it is NOT Art Deco Suites. And beware if you are depending on getting your deposit back at the end of your stay--the manager has a reputation for finding any reason to keep that money. And if you have a complaint about another tenant or about your living conditions, be prepared for his sarcastic attitude and selective help. Some tenants that were there complained about others that were breaking the clearly stated rules of the contract and they ended up being asked to leave that same week. This guy doesn't care about you--he just wants your money and then he wants you out. If you're quiet and don't complain much, you'll be fine. We put up with a lot of stuff that made our trip more stressful than it needed to be. Overall we had a good time in Cancun, but no thanks to the Art Deco Suites. The neighborhood is also very loud, you're next to a busy street and the music goes all night long. There are bands that practice next door, sometimes starting at 9 in the morning.
Also, you're expected to keep your place clean and clean it when you leave--but no cleaning supplies are provided. We had to buy all of that, plus dish towels, extra wash cloths, a door mat...and if we had stayed as long as we were supposed to we would've had to buy dishes as well. We only stayed one month out of the three for which we had planned. We were expecting to come and have everything we needed, but it's not the case. Just keep all of this in mind if you decide to stay there.

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms that have a door on the bathroom--so make sure you ask.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carmen M
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

We highly value all resident opinions, as only through honest feedback may we hope to improve the quality of our accommodations and the satisfaction of our tenants - which is our primary goal. Most of our business is comprised of repeat tenants who visit year after year, and they do so due to the cleanliness of the property and reliable services offered. The standout theme of most of our guest reviews is the cleanliness of our accommodations, and the immediate attention by management to any maintenance requests. We pride ourselves on a scrupulous and timely refund of every guest's security deposit in its entirety; the only exceptions are when there are damages to the contents or a breach of the rental contract, which are rare occurrences. We were dismayed and taken aback that this tenant's experience was so different from the vast majority of our guests. The impression we have of this review is that it was motivated by personal spite, as their personal dislike of the manager was the main theme. The reviewer mentioned the trouble with the city water supply, which was unfortunate and unprecedented, yet resolved in about 1 hour even though the maintenance call came at 11 pm on a Saturday night. The bed linens in the studio rented by this guest were brand new, 700 thread count Egyptian cotton, and the towels we use are Martex and are also cotton of high quality. As to their place of manufacture, I cannot say (most things these days are manufactured in China or other low cost labor countries regardless of the source material). We provide 2 high speed Internet connections with a combined speed of 16 mbps, because we cater to Internet professionals who require reliable access to the Internet. The kitchen is stocked with an assortment of cooking vessels, stainless steel silverware, knives, etc…and is cleaned on a daily basis, as are the common areas. We clean daily and exterminate for pests on a regular schedule and our business is comprised mainly of repeat tenants who return as they know from past experience they will have a no-nonsense and satisfactory stay.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

As a solo traveler the art deco suites where the perfect hub to meet fellow travelers and discover the ''authentic'' Cancun. The suites are very modern, clean, and the other facilities are very well maintained! The owner is very friendly and can help you out many times as he speaks spanish/english fluently. The bbq in the yard, and access to the pool at the hotel next door mad the place really awesome!

Room Tip: Get a room with your own washroom, it's worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and thanks for recommending us to your mom. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed for 3 months. The location is great and central to many things short and longer term travellers may need within walking distance Clubs and Restaurants, Gym, Snack Stands, Grocery stores, ADO Major bus terminal (for trips to other parts of mexico), Markets, Bus line(to go to the beaches) all less than a 5 minute walk. The internet is reliable and everything looks as depicted in the photos. Landlord is fluent in spanish and english and always available which helps if you need to find something. I got along with everyone who was staying at Art Deco and would highly recommend as one of the best options for anyone staying for up to 6 months. My only criticism being as I enjoy cooking would be some upgrades in the shared kitchen, few more pots and pans and a blender.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dan2775

Thanks for the great feedback! We agree regarding the kitchen, and as you suggested we have just put in a big new stove, brand new dishes and flatware, toaster, and brighter lighting. I hope you will be pleased with the upgrades when you return this winter!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I've been living nearly 3 months there and I love it. The studios are in the center, you have your own shower and toilet. You share the kitchen and the commune ares outside and garden, the night you have a security gard outside the house.you can do bbq anytime. It is very quiet.You have everything you need,shops,parks,every sunday night you can learn for free cuban salsa in the park! The owner is very nice and helpful any questions or needs he will answer or find for you. he recommend to you doctors,dentists,lipo,massages,clinics, ect... if you want to stay for ever he will help ypu to get the fm3. its a well secret garden in Cancun Center. The safety in Cancun is very good the americans news paper are lying about that. Im french and its 3 years I live in cancun its a paradise. You can eat for $100 per week all the fresh food the colors of the spices the smell of the fruits you will enjoy it! do not forget to visit the mayans pyramides impressif the jungle and the best the playa.you have la playa in the hotel zone with night club,music noise fun surf malls at the south of cancun and in the north of cancun you have quiet deserted beach,kiting,buggy, wild,with raw nature its is beautiful you will never want to leave Cancun!! basically you can have anything you want here partying or not. but anything you want to do, Olivier

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank OlivierT2

So glad to have you here! Thank you for sharing your good experience at Art Deco Suites!