“Best Location in Cancun”
Review of Art Deco Suites

Art Deco Suites
Ranked #9 of 131 Specialty Lodging in Cancun
Cagliari, Italy
“Best Location in Cancun”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Hi everybody. The 30th of June I arrived to Cancun from Italy to do and Internship. Since the first day until 20th of October I have been lived at Art Deco Suite. The first impression was very positive.

I will split my comment in different point so is gonna be easier to read it

THE SUITES AND THE BUILDING
The suites are very new and the bulding is modern and functional. There are 15 suites and most of them have the bathroom in the room.
The place is very clean also when all suites are occupated.
Every morning Chano (a really friend guy) cleans the common space from 7 o'clock until 9 o'clock. He is very kind and disponible, if u don't feel like to clean your room by yourself he is very disponible to clean your room for a Tip. I always clean my room by myself but sometimes I gave him some tips because he works really hard.
The rooms are big and very confortable the bed is big and there is a useful minibar and microwave.. normally I use the minibar for some beers and water because there is a big common fridge in the kitchen where I use to keep the food.
There is big garden where we had some barbecue or we use to drink some beer.. he is very nice.. there is also a little balcoony in the firs floor from where I loved to see the stars.. was great.

LOCATION:
This is the best value of the house. it is situated in the heart of the oldest part of Cancun.. it's very nice because there are not so much turist so you can live a real mexican experience living in this place. 50 meters from the house there is a street full of bars, restaurant and clubs.. its' very cheap because only mexican people come in this part of the town and it's a safe place. I loved also that from the house u can here some mariachi singing in the near restaurant during the dinner time. the location is very strategic because it's close to everything : 1 minutes walking from ADO (Bus company to travel everywhere in Mexico), 10 minutes walking from WalMart, 3 minutes walking from Comercial Mexicana ( SUpermarket), 10 minutes walking from chedraui ( Supermarket), 1 minutes walking from Oxxo and Extra (little supermarket open 24h). It's also very easy to go to Hotel zone from here.. there is the bus stop 2 minutes walking and taking the bus Ruta 1 in 10 minutes you can go in a beach in hotel zone.

Life Style:
It's depend from the people that are living in the house at the moment that you arrive.. When I arrived there where a lot of people and everybody was nice so I had really good time with them, eating together and drinkng together, after a while someone is gone so the house was a bit quiet but still ok.

Rules:
there are rules in the house that i consider really right because it's very difficult sometimes to keep the order when 15 people are living in the same house.. the rules are really simple and made just to respect the other flatmates. The rules are straight but there is a bit of flexibility between the flatmates.. so not hard at all to respect them.

The Owner:
Seth speaks perfectly Spanish and English. He is a businessman and he manage the house like a company. He has been very kind with me. I have read some comment of him very bad but it's not true. I think it depends from the behavior of the flatmates.The best sentence of him is "buena cuenta, amigos largos". It's normal that if someone try to live in the house without paying the rent or not following the rules he is gonna change the behavior whit them. I respected him and he respected me.. I think he is a really good guy.

I think you are waithing for negative point, isn't?

ok there 2 things that are negative..
First: I would like to have a door between the bedroom and the bathroom because there is just a curtain to close it. it's a little negative point of the rooms that have the bathroom in the suite but if it is a big problem you can chose the rooms with the bathroom outside the room..
Second: there are not a lot of cooking tools in the kitchen .. but it's just a negative point for me because I'm Italian and cooking for me it's art.. =) .. but don't worry because there are enough pots to cook a good meal.

I will return in Cancun.. I hope soon.. and definetly I would like to come back to live here because it's the Best Location in Cancun.. I will raccomand to you this place because it's quiet, u can have your privacy because you have your own room but you can find such good friend living in this house

Ciao Mario

PS: I hope everybody can understand my english.. =)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Mario F
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
I hope you will be pleased with the recent upgrades we made to the kitchen. A French Chef who was staying here gave me a lot of good ideas for the kitchen, such as replacing the old 4 burner stove with a new, bigger 6 burner stainless steel oven and range. We also replaced all of the dishes and silverware, added a wood block professional cooking knife set and put in brighter lighting. I hope to sample one of your Italian masterpieces when you return! Thank you for such a detailed and considered review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I was not really expecting much, I was just happy to find accommodations that seemed decent and affordable for a 2 week stay. The room and its furnishings looked brand new. At this price point, I usually get rather threadbare polyester sheets and raspy towels. Those provided were of good quality and all cotton. Another thing I liked was the water pressure, since a lot of places in Mexico and Latin America have none. The no smoking policy on premises was a huge plus, since I do not smoke, and I really can’t stand the smell. On the downside; there is no gym, so I had to make due with running and push- ups, and it is downtown, so a 10 minute bus ride is required to get beachside. My neighbors were from all over, but mainly Europeans, and Americans. The Wi-Fi was fast and the signal strong, and there is a free and unlimited phone to call the States. Check in and checkout were painless and the manager was on time for both. Next time I visit my customers in Cancun, I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank George S
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
You will be happy to know that there are 3 new Gyms and a Yoga studio that opened just a 5 minute walk from Art Deco Suites. I look forward to showing you where they are on your next stay with us. Thank you for sharing your good experience here with other travelers!
San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Reviewed September 27, 2011

When i arrived to Quintana Roo i stayed in playa del carmen with some friends at an appartment with out air conditioner!! you took a bath and the next second you were already all sweaty!!! when i arrived to Cancun i found the Art Deco Suites, which in comparison are so nice, so clean and the location was great although it was a lot more expensive. You could find 2 supermarkets, many bars and restaurants just from a few blocks. I stayed here for 2 months, and it was a great experience, first of all it has air conditioner, tv, internet, a kitchen you share with everyone else and you can use the pool from the nextdoor hotel paying about $120 pesos.
The landlord and everyone there are really nice!! I definetly recommend Art Deco not only for the comfort but also if you are solo and you want to meet new people to hang out with.
At the end i received my deposit back without any problem. Just be sure to not lose your key because you'll have to pay some extra!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We really enjoyed having you stay here with us and are grateful for the time you took to write such a great review!
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Not far from the Beach and close to everything you need on a Cancun trip, this place is great.

The suites are NEW and you feel like you can relax and enjoy what you came here for.

We love it!

Room Tip: Stay in the suites!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We loved having you stay here too! We work hard to make sure everything stays in NEW condition, so glad you noticed!
San Diego & Austin, U.S.
Reviewed August 18, 2011

After more than a month of traveling around the Yucatan Peninsula - finding various accommodations with variable degrees of comfort - it was such a relief to land at the Art Deco Suites in Cancun. Tired and hot from a long journey, I arrived at the Suites to find a clean, comfortable room with AC!! Woohooo, a serious luxury in the Yucatan in the summer. All the rooms have internet (which worked well the whole time I was there, minus the last day of my stay when other friends of mine in other parts of the city were also having problems), A/C, and TV with cable. Watch out as the A/C will drive up the electricity bill. Not though that this is a consequence of high cost of electricity in Mexico, not a result of any Art Deco policy. Still it is real nice to have the A/C there to kick on when it is a million degrees outside. I stayed in one of the rooms in the main house. Unlike the majority of the rooms, I shared a bathroom with 2 other residents. This did not bother me in the least since it brought the cost of the room down and meant that I wasn’t responsible for cleaning it. My bed was comfortable and the sheets, towels, and everything else was very clean.

The guest house setup is really ideal since you have a room of your own, but a larger community of people to hang out with when you are feeling social. This obviously depends a lot on who happens to be staying there while you are there. Contrary to some earlier reviews, I never had an issue with parties late into the night. Actually, if anything I wish folks had been more social! I was fortunate to share the space with a few really great people, people who became good friends and who I hope to stay in contact with for a very long time.

Some folks wrote about noise on nearby Yaxchilan. It is true, the house is a few doors down from the busy street, but it was never so loud as to keep me from being able to sleep. I could hear the Mariachis in La Parrilla at night, but I honestly found it charming. Mariachi music at night is not a common occurrence back in my neighborhood in the U.S . . . and like I said, it really wasn’t that loud, more like soft, muffled background noise. There is louder music on Sundays at the park down the street where they give salsa classes, but it doesn’t extend late into the night and I actually enjoyed sitting outside on the balcony with friends and a cold drink listening to the music on Sunday evenings.

All these things are great obviously, but the best thing about Art Deco is the location. It is perfect!! You are right in the middle of everywhere you need to be and/or a short 2 minute walk from the bus line that will take you there. It is in a really charming neighborhood full of parks, unlike pretty much anywhere else in the city. There are lots of grocery stores close by, you are a 5 minute walk from the ADO bus station, 2 minutes from Parque las Palapas, and close by countless restaurants and food stands.

I recommend Art Deco without hesitation. I am definitely planning to stay there again when I return next summer.

Do read your lease, but I think that goes without saying. I found the landlord quite charming actually and I received my entire deposit back (minus the electricity bill) without a problem.

Room Tip: All the rooms that I saw were really nice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank istehayatbu
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
It is always a pleasure hosting great people like yourself! We have you confirmed for the same stay in 2012. I look forward to seeing you back again!
Dallas
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here last month and had a wonderful time. We spent most days and nights out and about, but Art Deco Suites was great place to come 'home' to.

We found a great bar just around the corner called Los Arcos where the food and drink was good and cheap.

The location was perfect for us - we used the busses they have direct to the beach, which were a little more expensive than the public but were air conditioning and no stops in between.

We found it a really special place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alan D
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
We are flattered that you found us a great place to come home to! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Cancun!
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I thought the room was great - I love a comfortable bed, and it was spotless and well organized. Great shower too. Even though it's just one room the open plan design made it feel larger.

The location is really good, plenty of bars and restaurants just around the corner. It was a little noisy at night sometimes, but not too bad. Just sort a normal city business and Cancun being what it is.

The complex itself is gated and feels very secure. LocaI police have a high profile in the area. I stayed for a month and saw no hint of trouble. Very agreeable location.

Room Tip: I had a top level room and had a nice breeze most of the time.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank johnphelps96
zenman44, Manager at Art Deco Suites, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for the great feedback! Our sound insulated windows abate 99% of the hum of downtown. Being in the heart of downtown also means that there is a lot going on, so we now provide complimentary silicone earplugs so that our guests which are more sensitive to unfamiliar sounds can get a good nights sleep on our super comfortable orthopedic mattresses.