“Great wreck dive - beginner diver well taken care of”

Nautilus Diving & Training Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Nautilus Diving provides personalized instruction, professional guided diving tours, and customized packages to meet your diving goals. We are conveniently located in Cancun's hotel zone and offer dive trips to Cancun, Cozumel, and the Cenotes. Our top priority is your enjoyment and safety, so we offer dive trips organized and guided in small groups so we can provide a personal and safe diving experience. Come enjoy the beautiful reefs with abundant sealife, wreck or night dives, or experience cavern diving in the cenotes. We look forward to helping you plan your diving trip!
New York, New York, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great wreck dive - beginner diver well taken care of”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Another great dive with nautilus diving, especially dive master Alfredo. I dove the wreck dive (followed by a nearby reef). The wreck dive was very difficult for a beginner like me due to the strong current and the quick descent required. In addition to the dive master, a second Nautilus diver (Jesus) came along to help. When I was not descending fast enough and potentially overshoot the wreck, he helped me catch the line and descend. And when I got through my air faster than the rest of the group, Alfredo signalled me to follow Jesus to the surface while the others continued. I really appreciated the extra care taken by Nautilus to ensure all divers were safe on this tough dive. My only regret is that due to my air consumption I missed out on the second part of the wreck which has a lot of eagle rays.
This is my second time with Nautilus and would definitely dive with them again next time I'm in Cancun.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Arjun_R_12

Chandler, AZ
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Experienced and Technical Divers Only”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We went drving with Nautilus Divers today- specifically Juan and Alfredo. We were disappointed.
1. We arrived at 8:30 expecting to depart at 9am, we left the dock over an hour late- when I asked why the answer was that no one had gotten the air tanks. It seems no one knew how many divers to expect, how many tanks were needed or had thought to load them ahead of time.

2. The boat, while it could hold 12 divers + gear + 4 crew was extremely crowded, difficult to move around on and gear-up. There was no head which was a surprise for having 16 people aboard-I have never been aboard a boat without a head in 15 years of diving. We were told to gear up and stand up (with tanks on) while the boat was underway! Also, when it came time to to a backroll into the water we were told to "hurry hurry" even though not all gear was in place.As experienced boaters ourselves, While the operator may be in compliance with all laws as far as the number of people allowed aboard; it certainly was very crowded and diffibult to move around.

3. The dive master- this is a BIG PROBLEM- Juan has the worst manner in dealing with his assigned group. He is obviously used to (and only wants to deal with) technical divers. He was highly critical and demeaning toward several in the group, repeatedly berating one other diver onboard who happened to be a novice - he even told him to "go back to class and learn buoyancy control".

Also, he made the comment to us go out and buy a computer or you will never know what you are doing; first of all, we have been certified for over 15 years and have very good skills, and while we are not Instructor Rated, we are able to use dive tables just fine.

Next, he made the comment to me that if I do not dive more frequently I will "never be anything but a beginner". What an insulting remark! His tone and the way he said this was obviously meant to be an insult.

While he is an instructor he obviously lacks common sense, tact, and the ability to put his ego aside and be constructive in any way.

The dive sites themselves were very nice. We had a good wreck dive and a nice drift dive after that. Lots of marine life and good visibility. The crew was also quite helpful.

In summary, if you are a recreational diver and looking for a dive operator in Cancun with a comfortible boat and well organized crew look elsewhere

4 Thank Solperros
SherriNautilus, Manager at Nautilus Diving & Training Center, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
We are sorry to hear you didn’t have a good experience with your guide. Customer service is so important to us and we have addressed this situation with the crew. We want our customers to have a fun experience. Regarding the boat, our dive boat only had 10 divers on board plus guides, and at Nautilus, we do not take more than 4 divers per guide to maximize safety, fun, and to create a personalized experience. We actually had extra guides on board because the dive was to the wreck and we like to give lots of attention for our divers (we had 3 guides for 10 divers). This is not a beginner’s dive, and if you felt rushed, it was not our intention. We apologize if you felt hurried. However, with the wreck, given the winds and current, timing is critical that we enter the water at the right time or else you will not end up getting to the wreck as the currents can be too strong to swim against and you might miss seeing the wreck altogether.

It’s normal for dive boats in Cancun to not have heads – these are typically ½ day trips and go out short distances (ie. you can see the shore).

Regarding the delay of tanks, we apologize for the delay. The boat did leave a little late, and an announcement was made to the group about the reason why as soon as we learned this information. We always knew how many divers we were expecting as we pre-book to ensure we have enough guides and spaces on board. Because of safety, we choose to obtain our tanks from a central supply (like many dive operators) in Cancun. Unfortunately, the driver ran into a problem with the delivery that morning (we are the last on the delivery list) and thus many companies were delayed in receiving tanks due to a domino effect. This does not happen often, and we are sorry for the delay. The bottom time for the dive was maximized based on safe diving practices so it did not impact the dive time, however, we were a little late returning to the pier.

Thank you for your comments.

Octavio Perez (Manager)
Kent
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Friendly, professional, fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Thanks to Alfredo and Fernando for a couple of days of great diving at Cozumel and Cancun. Good organisation, well guided, good background information about the dive sites, attentive to all of us underwater. With over 450 dive a piece, we were glad to be with other quaffed divers. If Im in Cancun again, I would definitely use Nautilus once more.

Alos thanks to Sherri for speedy and helpful email advice and booking. You put others in Cancun in the shade!

1 Thank KentAngelfish
Greenwich, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Outstanding Diving in Cancun, Cenotes and Coz”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Alfredo and Fernando guided excellent wreck and reef dives off Cancun on day 1. Both very professional, helpful and friendly. Equipment was in good condition. 2 days later they led to/in Cenotes located not far from Playa Del Carmen, starting with an early morning pick up at my hotel---handled all details. Terrific experience diving in those caverns. 3rd day was with Clemente (Alfredo and Fernando already booked) who was also a first-rate dive guide for Cozumel. Logistics, etc. were as promised and had a great day in a fabulous dive area. The diving, etc. more than met my expectations. Absolutely no reason to use another dive group."

2 Thank bob s
Williamsville, NY
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Look No Further”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was my fourth time diving with them and it was superb, as always. Background: I am a dive master and my wife is OW. Alfredo was our DM for most of our five days, with Fernando leading us one day and Clemente our last day. I can't say enough good things about them. They were attentive and not intrusive. They allowed us to dive our air supply and computers. Often is was just myself and my spouse in the group and when there were others, the group was never larger than 4 and even then there was another DM with us!
Whether you are a newly certified diver or an old salt, this is the group for you. They are very safety conscious, have good equipment (we brought our own gear, but from what we saw, the regs, BCD's etc were all of good quality), are personable, know the area, and provided fully informed briefings. They are natural teachers and I could see my wife's diving improve dramatically under Alfredo's gentile coaching and advising .
We primarily dove reefs, with one dive to the Minesweeper wreck. On one day, Alfredo took me to Choc Mool Cenote where we did an amazing cave dive (90 minutes with doubles).
Making the reservations and plans was easy. Sheri and/or Octavio responded to all our questions promptly and fully.
This is an outstanding operation and outstanding staff.

2 Thank WILLIAMSVILLE-FAMILY