“Loved It!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #45 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Loved It!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2003

we just returned from Costa Real- Cancun. It was wonderful. nice rooms, great service, nice pool, people were so freindly! We had the best Cancun experience ever. Food and drinks were great we had all-inclusive, just cant say enough nice things about it. We will stay there again!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2003

First, this vacation was a prize, yes, I won it! So it was a free trip. When we arrived our room had already been given away - we were a little upset. But, they upgraded us to a suite! Which they let us use for the whole week at no extra charge.The service was wonderful. This is not a party hearty hotel. It's kind of quiet. I would recommend it as a great place to take small children - the small beach is very safe and there is no surf. If you take the all-inclusive plan - I think you find it as a definate waste of time and money - go to a hotel that is exclusively all-inclusive. With the regular plan I reccomend the outside restaraunt for breakfast. The rooms were comfortable. This is one of the older hotels, so it's small and not very glitzy. But, if you want to visit downtown often it's very close. It is close to everything. I would give it 3***'s as far as luxury

2 Thank coopcst
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2003

Let me just start off by saying that we had a BLAST! We were there April 21st 2002. When we first arrived we got upgraded to a suite, which I thought was wonderful! The shower was huge, like 12 people could fit into it. Then once we put our things down, we went to get a bite to eat. The staff here is so wonderful, they really make a difference! They would wait on us hand and foot, treat us like kings & queens and made the trip worth wild. We only had a slight problem once with the toilet, but they came up to our room right away and fixed the problem. I did hear a couple people complain about the bottom rooms on the first floor, because the peacocks are loud in the morning. I am going back to Cancun on March 30th this year, but we are all staying at the Oasis Playa just to try something different. But I will make time to drop by the Costa Real and tell a few of my buddies hello. If you stay at the Costa Real, try to go to the one in Playa Del Carmen, that was so nice. If you have the All-Inclusive you can eat there, drink there, and use the pool and beach. Next door the sister hotel is also very nice. Have A Blast!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2003

My wife and I loved the Costa Real. We did get the noisy room on the first floor #116 near the service area. We just turned the air conditioning to "fan on" all night and slept right through it. This is a smaller hotel that has a more personal service than the big resort hotels. We went down to the Gran Caribe Real for dinner one night and it was so noisy and the service was slow. We could not get back to the Costa Real fast enough. The beach is tiny so we got out early before it got crowded then moved back to the pool area when the beach "activities" got too noisy. We will stay there again but get a upper floor room. The two restaurants are fantastic. Better than cruise ship food. And better than the Gran Caribe.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
austin, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2003

Great Place had a Wonderful Time!! My wife and I stayed at the Costa Real at the end of September 2002 and had a great time. The only problem we had was during check-in we were told they did not have a ocean view available, but, upgraded at no extra cost and they view from this room was incredible. Both of us thought the food for the most part was incredible and the staff was wonderful. I would recomend this resort to anyone travelling to Cancun.

1 Thank chrisrachel02
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2003

We booked an all inclusive trip through Adventure Tours set to fly Allegro airlines and stay at Costa Real. We arrived at night (with a family of 6), to find our individual rooms were not available. To our amazement, they allowed us to use the Presidential Suite. It was on the 5th floor, overlooking the ocean. Probably about 2,500 square feet and very beautiful. It had a balcony out of every room and a large one overlooking the ocean. The hotel looks gorgeous at night from this room. I was very glad we were accomidated this way, as we would have otherwise been disappointed after passing every hotel on the strip that was far more appealing. We were quite upset at the travel agent for not pushing us harder on the Gran Caribe, leading us to believe Costa Real was better. After the first night, we had a lovely breakfast with the family on the balcony and were then escorted to our other rooms. These rooms were not very attractive. The A.C. was on the fritz at times in each of our rooms. The beds were as hard as rocks and the pillows were like laying on a slab of concrete. I didn't expect it to be perfect for the price we paid, just a little different. I think I blame the travel agent for the misleading info. The actual hotel (excluding the rooms) had a wonderful staff. Very nice and accomidating. The food was good, room service was quick. They offer poolside service, but DO NOT EAT OUTSIDE! The birds are very brave. They dive bomb your food while you are eating it. 2 of us got surprises from the birds all over us and had to jump in the 40 degree pool (it was January) to rinse off. There was not much of a beach at all. The hotel area is very windy as it is located on more of a harbour type area where the water is dark blue, not that pretty crystal blue you crave. The hotel is also located right on the border of downtown. It is the last decent hotel at the top of the strip. This is not someplace for spring breakers or others looking for a lot of activities, or beach. Being that we spent most of our time
idn't mind. Next time I go to Cancun, I will opt for the Gran Caribe or one of the others closer to the action. Actually, I will probably go to Playa Del Carmen. I suggest only going to this hotel if you bring your own pillow, don't mind the only beer selction to be Corona, and don't care about blue water and a big beach.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ross, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2003

We just returned from Cancun. We were booked into the "Superior" rated Costa Real. The pictures looked nice and most of the reviews here were positive. It was ok for Holiday Inn quality. Our room overlooked a parking lot and strip center. We had a studio with a kitchen, that was great if we were not all-inclusive. Rooms were clean. Service was friendly. Beach very small not more than 50ft out into ocean as it is near a canal entrance. Food was ok. Not bad just not paradise. Pool ok. Nightly kareoke and activities. We walked up to sister hotel Gran Caribe...it was what we had expected and what we are used to staying at. We approached the check in desk and were told it would be $40/nite/room. We transferred immediately!! It was Great in all respects.