“Vacation”

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #44 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Vacation”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Resort small and cute Beach area awful you have boat riding through the beach area making everything smell like gas this is not a beach this is Joke!! If you're looking for a nice beach relaxing stay away from this hotel. Now the pool area was very nice and relaxing and the waitress were always there very attentive to your needs. Food was good but not great. Then you have all the timeshare people constantly harassing you!! Just awful!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vivian R
ASIST DIR BARCE... C, Asistente de Gerencia at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Vivian R.

Hope you are doing well.

Thank you for posting your review of Barceló Costa Cancún. I was concerned to learn that your stay was not an enjoyable one, but the issues about the beach area unfortunately are out of our control… and I would ask you to please accept my apologies.

All your concerns help us to recognize our areas of opportunity so we can provide a better service in the future.

We hope you consider staying with us again.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just arrived home from a week in cancun 8th feb - 16th, and had a great time staying in this lovely hotel. There was 2 of us both age 23 looking for lively nights partying and chilled out days by the pool and on the beach. The staff at the hotel are amazing, always happy and smiling which is great to see, special thanks to Ivan aka Cristiano Ronaldo who always kept us entertained, either by playing watersports or by partying with us in the clubs, and was an overall really sound guy. The food is excellent, different themes everynight all with delicious quality food, couldnt ask for more. The hotel has its own section of beach with bar which is great for a few cocktails during the day, and means you have an amazing view to enjoy at breakfast. The hotel is about a 15 min taxi drive to the nightlife, so its not within walking distance, which costed 150 peso (£7.50). Would recommend this hotel 100 times over as I cant see anyone not enjoying their stay here. Thank you for an unforgettable holiday!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank SamGilbert90
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear SamGilbert90

Thank you for choosing us during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

We are very happy to know you had an amazing time with us, we would feel very honored to welcome you again so please let us know about your next trip, to make it even better

Warm Regards
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Just to start off, I hope I don't forget anyone there are so many nice people in this resort to mention and thank for making our annual vacation a great experience.
First of all I have to mention the entertainment/activity staff, they work so hard and are always running around making sure everyone is as happy as they can be. The only suggestion I have for them is to hold more Spanish classes. This is my second visit to a small resort, staying for 2 weeks and I find if you can keep yourself busy with activities like learning and speaking Spanish it gives you a feeling of accomplishment.
All the serving staff were fantastic the manager of the La claraboya, Julio made diining in his facility so relaxing and enjoyable. He often came out and asked us to come in for a meal or even just coffee. Angel from the La claraboya is an awesome waiter. He is the first person I met in the resort, he was working the night shift in the snack bar where I was waiting for my friends to arrive. He is such a special man. He is always smiling, even when he is busy he makes time for a hug. He made our last night at the resort so special, I cannot say enough about Angel. Wilbert was the mimosa specialist. I now love Mimosas, thanks Wilbert. It was like we had a bottomless glass. Every morning was great to wake up and go to the La claraboya for breaky and Mimosas, oh ya and the Baileys with a little coffee for flavour.
The Bar and Serving staff, where should I start? Daniel, I called him my future husband, well if I was a little younger, he was an awesome bartender. He spent so much time with me trying to find a drink that was different but not so sweet. We found one but it was sweet. He made it to perfection every time "Luces de la Havana" blended. Sandra and Carmen are always so willing to get you anything, they must walk a thousand miles a day and they do it with a smile. Now Rodrigo, my sweet Rodrigo, he was an awesome man. He was a great waiter. He looked after me, carefully watching over me, there with the Japanese kareoke (Japanese Peanuts), and of course more drinks. Rodrigo can tell a story and you will crack a gut laughing, he is a funny guy, with abs of steel. We had such a great time with all the staff at this resort, I wish they could all come home with me, but then they would not be there for all of you who will go and find out what great people they are. It has not been one month yet since I have been home and I am already missing them. Also, this is the first time, I have taken the time to write a review as I feel so strongly about the great staff. Keep up the good work people, hope to see you again.
In closing, I have to mention the downside points, the nickel and diming. Charging for internet service, weighing your bags in the lobby. The resort is small and there is some noise problems, deliveries through the night, road noise and of coarse the renovations that were going on. The front desk staff does not seem as eager to help as the serving and entertainment staff. As a matter of fact, when we had enough of dealing with them we were furious with a situation and we mentioned it to the entertainment staff, they went and got the head guy to fix our problem, and he did.
Luis the supervisor of the watersports booth on the beach has an awesome story. He is such a great guy to talk with. All the Staff speak english so well, so accommodating.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the beach, in the tower on left side as you look at the resort. You wi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Valerie D,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.

We are glad you enjoyed our activities, since we work really hard to make sure our guests have an amazing time . Also, it is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our staff; we will surely congratulate them for their job.

Hope to see you again on your next visit to Cancun.

Best regards.
Florham Park, New Jersey
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I must say the trip overall was a great experience and i will do it all over again, however in Cancun there are so many hotels and places to go that i am pretty sure i will never go back to this same hotel. I have been in other barcelo hotels in DR and Nicaragua and this one is in need of some work. Id like to say that the people in Mexico are so nice i have no complaint about anybody that works in this hotel. The check in and check out it's a bit confusing and at times people get mad because there is no order. The food was pretty good, although i must say that i have tried better chilaquiles (in Cabo) and the restaurants did not have guacamole. I will never think that in Mexico, guacamole was not provided everyday (i ate it once only). The rooms are ok, i complaint a lot about a few things, the pillows are so hard i woke up with a massive headache the first night and i had to use the small pillow for the rest of the trip. The AC above the bed on the right side created the room too cold for my wife, because the AC will hit her face for the rest of the night. The kitchen was outside of our room and because the restaurant they serve is open until late, they were cleaning the plates and washing dishes ALL NIGHT LONG!!! we could not get a good night sleep, so please be aware of asking them to give you a room high above or far from the kitchen. The night shows were lame, they tried but they didn't even come close to other shows we've seen in other resorts like Jamaica. i must say the best show this place offers is the Maya show, that is a must see if you are going to book this hotel. The beach is sooooo small!!!! its just a small section, don't be fooled by the hotel pictures, i didn't take any so you will have to research on your own. We took the local bus to find a better night life because our hotel did not offer any music to dance and after the night shows, you were pretty much done. If you like to party you will find a lot of places to go like Mr. Frog and Coco Bongo, just be very careful as Mexico is still a dangerous place and if you're a girl and you're traveling with no boyfriend remember you can be a target and i always recommend to group with people from the Hotel that are going downtown as well. Do not take any opened drinks unless they are opened in front of you. I wish i can say better things about the hotel but i save the best for last, on the 2nd night i woke up around 6AM to use the bathroom and i found a cockroach in the shower, although it only happened once and never again, i know that if my wife had seen this, she would have said to leave the hotel and go somewhere else. In my case, i accept the fact that we were after all, somewhat near the kitchen.

Room Tip: Stay away from the kitchen area. Make sure your room doesn't have the AC running from the high s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank flexzzone
ASIST DIR BARCE... C, Asistente de Gerencia at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Flexzzone

Please accept our sincere apologies for not providing a perfect stay for you and your wife. This is not the service that we strive to provide to our guests, so feel free to contact me at costacancun.asist-dir@barcelo.com , I will like to give you a solution. Make sure that your concerns has been shared with all department heads for review and action.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide you with a more memorable vacation.

Kind Regards
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Clean, compact resort. Very comfortable beds with an assortment of pillows. Mini bar filled daily with beer, pop, water and snacks.

The food and service was above and beyond expectations. From Wilberthe with morning mimosas to Angel preparing, performing! special coffees we felt spoiled all day long. The lovely ladies serving drinks around the pool and Rodrigo keeping his spideysenses tuned to looking after us made us feel very welcome.

I enjoyed the pool after dinner, so relaxing to float under the stars before the nightly performance started. Great work by all the entertainment staff on the show and all the activities during the day.

Cons to a compact resort are that there isn't a quiet spot to be had - while the music in the restaurants was low key and easy on the ears, the beach bar and pool had some techno-bop noise going on most of the day. The crowd was a pretty diverse mix so not possible to please everyone I guess.

We were surprised that the onsite laundry we'd asked about just a week or so before arriving was not actually in service at all.

We played pool one rainy day (10 peso coin per play) one floor above the lobby. The 24 hour snack bar is very well maintained here. Used books available. I bought pesos in Canada before I left and was able to exchange big bills for small at the front desk anytime. The luggage scale in the lobby cost 10 pesos to use, so we took our chances at the airport.

The beach and swimming area seems small but were perfectly fine for us to lounge and float and relax. Lots of chairs, lots of shady spots. Also lots of boat traffic to watch due to the proximity of the ferry terminal and pirate boats. We could hear the pirate show as they departed and returned nightly.

All in all a great place.

1 Thank hotSandColdTequila
ASIST DIR BARCE... C, Asistente de Gerencia at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear HotSandColdTequila

Barceló Costa Cancún thanks you for the time you took to leave this amazing review and sharing it with other guests. We already took note about your concerns with the music in the bar and pool area.
We are pleased to hear that your visit was an overall enjoyable one. Angel, Wilberth, Rodrigo and all of our colleagues are passionate about delivering memorable experiences.

Hope to see you soon in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The hotel was really nice & it was clean and all of the people who worked there were very friendly. When we first got there people helped us bring our stuff to our room which was really nice. The food was very good, we especially liked the Mexican restaurant, all of the staff there were amazing and the food was excellent. The maids cleaned our room everyday and the drinks at the bar were very good as well. The entertainment was very good, they had shows every night which was awesome and there were activities everyday for us to do. All of the staff was amazing, Enrique Osnaya was really nice and he made our trip very fun, we went out to Palazzo and Mandala Beach and it was so fun!! This definitely made our trip a great experience and we would love to come back to this hotel again.

1 Thank Kirsti S
Dear Kirsti S

Hope you are doing well.

Barceló Costa Cancún appreciates your time to leave your positive feedback. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to write such nice things about our Mexican Restaurant and staff. All our colleagues are passionate about delivering memorable experiences.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and it will be an honor to serve you again, the next time you are in Cancún.

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The hotel is really nice, quite clean, not so new but will do. We did enjoyed the Albatros restaurant special we liked the changes of menu. They clean the room every day as well as stocked the mini bar - great!
But.. here comes the big BUT that we had.
My parents visit me every year here in Cancun since I now live here, they come from really far away to be here and always they come for their anniversary. Last year they stayed in Barceló 2 weeks this time 3. This year we decided to stay with them and when I have made this reservation I was planning to use the Resort Credits for their romantic dinner, SPA etc. Also to organize some cake as courtesy to their room so they can fully enjoy that day. When I came one day before the date to the concierge desk I asked to send them a cake in courtesy as I would do in any other hotel in Cancun, she wrote down the room number (310) on a post it and said it will be done at 18:00 tomorrow. Then I asked he about RC and how we could make the reservation for the romantic dinner for my parents, she said that RC do not apply for that, I asked so what about SPA she said that doesn't apply either. Then I asked what are they good for? She said that basically they are useless...
No cake at 18:00 the next day either so we took my parents to one of the restaurants in Cancun and then forgot about it.
My parents are coming back soon again and I will think twice before making reservation for them.
All the staff was wonderful and helping but concierge really disappointed me... They were doing everything in the world - painting nails, brushing the hair on the desk, chatting except of their job... Bad.. really bad...

Room Tip: Find someone useful.. but not the concierge, front desk seems to be more helpful and trained.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Kedicikzuberlin
ASIST DIR BARCE... C, Asistente Gerencia at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Kedicikzuberlin

Barceló costa Cancún appreciates your time to leave your feedback. We are really sorry for the inconveniences during your stay, because customer satisfaction is our top priority.

Feel free to contact me at costacancun.asist-dir@barcelo.com , I will like to give you a solution, hooping the opportunity to serve you again.