Occidental Costa Cancun
  • Restaurant
Grand Oasis Palm(Cancun)
  • Beachfront
6,308 results
All reviewsbeach barhour snack barbuffet restaurantpirate shipsister hotela la carte restaurantsentertainment staffspring breaksmall resortisla mujeresjunior suitefantastic holidaycoco bongoevening entertainmenthot dogsmake reservationshave a good time
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are regular travellers and we spent our first Christmas in a hot and sunny destination this year. I have to say we are so happy we chose this hotel! We were treated like special guests every day - no long waits for a pool chair or a beach chair, the beach was immaculate, the staff were so friendly (the maintenance staff included, always a smile and an hola) and the food was good. We ate mostly at the buffet because we have two small children but the variety was good. The kids club staff were great with the kids - Eden especially, she made sure the kids were surprised and delighted with the gifts we brought for them on Christmas eve! We didn't leave our kids at the club for more than an hour but Eden remembered them and made sure they were included in building sandcastles and a beach soccer game. We also liked how the kids had their own special fiesta with pinatas and onstage fun. The entertainment staff were fun and we booked our dolphin/wet and wild park excursion along with a para-sailing afternoon through the event staff at the pool. They recommended the activities which turned out to be a lot of fun and exactly what we were expecting. Special mention to Pepe Hernandez in the restaurant - my little girls thought he was the greatest - he always came by to chat and make us feel so welcome and special - the same for the lovely girl whose name I didn't get who greeted and seated us each morning, her smile was genuine. The only complaint I would have is the beds - the rooms were spotless as was the rest of the property but the beds were hard. We like a soft bed so it was a big adjustment. I asked the front desk for a soft pillow and it arrived within minutes, our fridge was always stocked and the maid never failed to ensure it was sparkly clean and fresh when we returned. We would definitely consider Barcelo for our next year's trip. Many thanks!

Room Tip: Our room was a standard double with a tiny terrace - no upgrade as the hotel was full but I would say ask for a room away from the pool area where the entertainment can get quite noisy and see if there is a larger balcony available.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LilynClara
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear LilynClara

Thank you for choosing Barceló Tucancún during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

We are very happy to know you had an amazing time with us, we would feel very honored to welcome you again so please let us know about your next trip, to make it even better

Cm Cancun Barcelo

Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was a nightmare. If I could, I would pay you not to stay here. This was my fourth trip to Cancun in the last three years but my first time staying at this hotel. I was on a well-deserved vacation and all I wanted to do was relax, de-stress, sit on the beach (which was the size of a postage stamp in relation to others in the area), and have someone bring me drinks while I recuperated from a very hectic year. The room was very small and it stank. The hot water in the shower was warm, even after I waited for it to heat up for 15 minutes. Same thing with the water from the faucet .I called the front desk and they finally sent somebody up. In the end, I was told that this was the hottest that the water could get; this was the way it was in every room. There was nothing they could do. So I took warm showers the entire time. The furniture in the room was dirty and stained. I never was able to sit on it. To do so I would have had to put a towel on the furniture first. I was told that if I wanted a different room, one with a view of the ocean, that I would have to pay more. This, after I was told that all the rooms were booked. So I guess the rooms are fully booked unless you want to pay more to be upgraded. I asked for the front desk to contact my travel agent so that I could request a move to another hotel. I was ready to leave. They refused to call my agent and told me that I had to pay 100 pesos to get a calling card and call from a pay phone, which I did. Anything that I asked for, that I thought would help make my stay bearable, I was told that I would have to pay for. Even Wi-Fi! I'm, used to having free Wi-Fi at Cancun hotels. The hotel staff attitude was horrible, appalling. They were very rude. I actually cried, I was so frustrated. This was day one. By the next day, I had resigned myself to my fate because I realized that nobody cared, they were not going to do anything to help me, and that even if I paid extra, I was still going to be stuck in a dirty substandard place with rude people and a very unwelcoming atmosphere.
About the food. On the first morning after I arrived, I went to one of two restaurants. The selection was minimal and I had to go to a second restaurant to get more food. So what was supposed to be a long drawn out breakfast ended up being breakfast split in two. The rest of the stay, I just went to the second restaurant. On two occasions I swung by the first restaurant just to see if the selection was different or better, but it was not. Even at that second restaurant, the food was not very tasty and not always cooked through. The drinks were missing most of the alcohol and most of the time, when I wanted a drink, I had to get up and get it while the bartender acted like I was bothering him. The room refrigerator was restocked only once. The rest of the time, I had to ask the passing maid for water. I really could go on and on and on but I am determined to put this behind me and plan my next trip which will have me returning to the hotel that I stayed at when I was in Cancun in July 2013. That truly was my best experience and if I may say so, it was the Hotel Riu Palace. Now, that's a five-star rating that is well-deserved. During one of my runs I actually stopped in there to see if they had any room available. They didn't. That'll teach me to go with what I already know. Finally, to add insult to injury I could not get a hold or locate my travel agent representative at the hotel, to find out what time I would be picked up return to the airport. So I called from the room phone. At checkout, I was told that I had to pay six pesos for a local call to someone who was located somewhere in the hotel. Are you kidding me? That was literally the last straw but I kept my cool because I was on my way home. The guy at the front desk, John Milner, just didn't seem to understand that it wasn't about the amount of money; it was about the principle. After everything they had put me through, it was still going to be about money, money, money. I am grateful that this was not my first visit to Cancun; otherwise I'd be hard-pressed to ever return. Please, do not stay at the Barcelo Costa Cancun hotel. This is what these reviews are for. I have never been this compelled to write a review about any place that I have stayed and I travel a lot. Please, save yourself trouble and disappointment. This place is not worth it. Thank you for reading.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Prin3071
Gerencia C, General Manager at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize.
Also, we want to let you know that all of your comments and opinions will be taken into account to offer a better service in the future and we will submit them to all departments in charged to correct these issues.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to enhance your experience and perception of the Hotel.

Best regards.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

The moment me and my two friends arrived at the barcelo costa, we were greeted by friendly staff and immediately felt at home. The staff, from the bar staff to the entertainers and the cleaners, they were all fantastic! The room was lovely with two double beds and a balcony. The bathroom was massive and the room was cleaned daily. The mini fridge is also restocked everyday which is a bonus! The food in all the restaurants was lovely and lots to choose from, and I am very fussy! The entertainment staff were so good and one day we even received a bottle of sparkling wine in our room from them! I don't have a bad word to say about this hotel and I would definitely recommended. The hotel is in a good location and you can get a cheap bus ride to where you need to go. I would definitely recommend going to the playa delfines beach, it is out of this world!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank nicz22

Dear nicz22

Thank you for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.

Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Staff was friendly, nice cold rooms, food was good and had variety of choices and restaurants....best food was at Don Quixote restaurant, dine in is by RSVP at lobby desk. Jetskis and kayaks available on beach shore along with poolside entertainment. Wish the beach was a little bigger but overall no complaints. If your a drinker go to the lobby bar and ask for Omar, tip a few bucks once (10-$20) and he will make sure you have the best drinks available. I would return to this resort but next time will upgrade the room to get the room w/ a jacuzzi inside an a hammock on the porch.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DjJuiceFLA

Dear DjJuiceFLA

Reviewed December 17, 2013

One of the best holidays I have been on, the staff, the people, the sunshine, the food, the drinks were all amazing! Special shouts go out to the hotel entertainers, they kept us amused at the pool during the day, Enrique Osnaya was fantastic at making me laugh and entertaining me when I was at the pool alone. The bar staff at the beach, Alejandro was my best barman, made me laugh and stay at the bar, he made everyone feel special.
I was impressed wit how good everyone's English was, it has made me want to learn Spanish!

Room Tip: I was on level 5, great view of the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends