“It was good...”

Ranked #45 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“It was good...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Well, i'm only three years late writing this!! I stayed here in 2010, this hotel was good for the money we paid. The service was pretty good, the hotel was clean and the pool was clean! However, this hotel is quite small... The beach isn't great, infact the beech isnt okay... It is small and you have hardly any sea because the hotel is out of the hotel zone, so you are right in the corner of the sea. The resturaunts were disapointing but they were okay for a 4*!! The staff there were great and there was always something to do. At first I was put in a small ground floor room... After talking to reception I was moved to a sea view balcony room, which was fantastic. All in all, for the money paid, this was a good hotel. But there is better out there!

Room Tip: I would pay extra for a sea view room!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Costumer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you with your family on a longer break soon.
Marc Giesemann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The rooms are amazing, we had a view of the ocean and loved the convienience of the hotel to everything. Great hotel price with all inclusive. The staff was well trained and resolved a few problems we encountered.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you with your family on a longer break soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed for a week in Feb'12. Everything about the hotel was excellent.

The rooms were very spacious and clean, and the bed was the biggest bed we've ever had!

The restaurants were top class with a great mixture of food - something to everyone's taste.

The hotels beach, accessed directly from the hotel again was kept clean, and was very impressive.

The all inclusive drinks we're great, as was the daily restocked mini bar in the room.

Can not fault the hotel at all......in fact, the only gripe was being asked to play the pool games every day. Sometimes you just want to chill out in the sun, but a polite 'no' usually did the trick!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, or splash out and upgrade to a room with its own jacuzzi on the balcony!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
mpgiesemann, marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

my partner and I stayed here for a week in febuary.. we just needed to get away... on arrival the reception staff were polite and helpful, the bel boy takes your luggage to your room for you.. our room was a good size and was more than adaquite.. just a tip if you have young children or you want an early night request a room away from the pool area as this is were they hold the nightly entertainment.. it doesnt go on too late but it can be quite loud.. the rooms are kept spotless and are cleaned everyday ....in fact the whole hotel is immaculate.. there are 3 al a carte restuarants on site (you do have to book early) the food is fantastic. there is also a buffet style restuarant with loads to chose from. there is a mini bar in the room which is also adaquately stocked. the drink was all branded drinks and cocktails were included in the all inclusive.. theres also a 24 hour snack bar that serves alcohol... the pool is lovely and the hotel is on the beach again lovely overall there are no complaints or negative coments about either the hotel or the staff .. infact the staff cant do enough for you they are genuinely nice and are always happy to help... we got this break on a last minute deal... it was excellent value for money.. we would deff go there again however next time it would have to be for two weeks not one... would reccomend to anyone, beautiful place

Room Tip: rooms with a pool view can be a little noisy at night as this is were the evening entertainment is h...
3 Thank jane f
Haverford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a quick weekend getaway here and overall had a great time. We went with one desire, getting some sun, relaxing, turning our brains off. This resort performed just fine. I have stayed in several all-inclusives before, so by all means this is not the greatest resort of all time. But overall, for the price, it was just what we needed.

Pros-
Nice staff, comfortable beach, beach volleyball 2x a day (I play a ton of beach volleyball), guests are nice, food is quite good (even at the buffet), nobody is in your face around the clock asking you to join tours and stuff.

Cons- Competitive beach space (we were up anyways, but we still got to the beach by 8 to claim beachside chairs), small beach, no pool bar, 3 a la carte restaurants and 1 buffet, competitive restaurant reservations, rooms could do with a bit of updating, if you stay in a room that is facing the pool, it can get loud some nights with people.

I know that looks like many cons, but really, that was not the point of our trip. We just wanted to getaway, relax, and we would happily come back here again given the choice.

Tips- if you mind noise, and you're not a spring breaker, ask for a non pool-side room. Bring lots of small change, I asked for change every day and they never had any. The "resort credit" book you get seems very nice, but it doesn't help very much. For example, the internet coupon didn't apply to 1 day of internet, only 3 days or longer. So, be wary.

2 Thank Emperor175
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I would highly recommend this resort! They have something for everyone here.

1.) Check In/Staff - The check-in experiences was very smooth and painless. When I arrived I walked right up to the desk and they pulled up my reservation (print your reservation, I was told to do so based on previous visitor experiences). I was assisted up to my room and the features of the resort were fully explained to me. I found all of the staff to be very helpful! They tend to remember you by name and love to chat you up. Everyone speaks great English, but they are even more delighted when you speak some Spanish with them. I found that tips are highly appreciated here.

2.) Activities - They have a daily schedule of activities by the pool that include sports/games, classes, and a nightly show. The first night I got there they had a Michael Jackson show on the stage, it was awesome. There is also a game room/snack room, massage/spa, and fitness center.

3.) Food - The food is amazing. The buffet restaurant does not require reservations and you can be satisfied with just going there during your stay. The variety at the buffet is great and the options are changed daily. The seafood restaurant is also nice and reservations were not too much of a hassle. If you happen to go to the buffet here, Alfredo Lopez is the best server ever. Look for him and you'll have a great experience.

4.) Drinks/Bars - The bars are very nice. There is a lobby bar and a beach bar. I never had to wait too long for drinks and they were all great! Once again, I noticed that tips are greatly appreciated. I tend to tip even for all-inclusive and so that might have had something to do with the speed and value of the service.

5.)Families - This is a very family friendly environment. I don't have kids, but I noticed lots of people there with their kids and they all had a great time. Kids really enjoyed the pool.

I can't wait to go back here. I'm already looking at dates to try to return. Make sure you book the amount of time that you want upfront. When I got there, I tried to extend my stay because I was enjoying it so much and they were completely booked! This place is great!

Room Tip: My room was right above the pool area. I enjoyed being able to hear/view the shows from my room/bal...
2 Thank derrickmlove
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you on a longer break soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is perfect in every way but one, the bar shuts at 12am... However, there is a 24 hour snack bar that still serves after 12pm unless someone gets drunk, then they switch off the tap but if you ask the manager, he will put it back on (or you could do it yourself by turning the small lever next to the beer tap handle). The bars are great though, you must try the frozen margarita, mojito, superman and mai tai cocktails! The rooms are amazing! Huge bed, huge showers, free minifridge which is stocked every day with a few beers and soft drinks. Restaurants are amazing, even though my mate and I mostly stuck to Albatros as you didn't need to reserve seats and they offered an amazing choice of food and changing the food theme each night... the Japanese night was amazing!! The pool is big and its not hard to find deck chairs with the beach being popular with most and the rest being out on trips. The beach is great, nice beach bar serving beers and cocktails, a volleyball net, sun loungers and its kept clean all the time. The entertainment staff are great, they have activities going on around the pool throughout the day and offer great club packages to the biggest clubs. The location of the Barcelo is great, it's right near the north laguna bridge so away from the noise of the party zone but with regular busses going every two minutes 24 hours a day for just a dollar, its not too far away from the fun.

Other than the bar closing at 12am rather than when the last person leaves, I could not find a single fault with this hotel. The staff are great, the rooms are brilliant and I will definitely be going back next year.. Give it a try, you wont be disappointed!

Room Tip: We had room 143 on the bottom floor out to the right of the main reception, we had the most amazing...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank pedrothemexican
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you on a longer break soon.