“Good budget getaway”

Ranked #45 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Haverford, Pennsylvania
“Good budget getaway”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a quick weekend getaway here and overall had a great time. We went with one desire, getting some sun, relaxing, turning our brains off. This resort performed just fine. I have stayed in several all-inclusives before, so by all means this is not the greatest resort of all time. But overall, for the price, it was just what we needed.

Pros-
Nice staff, comfortable beach, beach volleyball 2x a day (I play a ton of beach volleyball), guests are nice, food is quite good (even at the buffet), nobody is in your face around the clock asking you to join tours and stuff.

Cons- Competitive beach space (we were up anyways, but we still got to the beach by 8 to claim beachside chairs), small beach, no pool bar, 3 a la carte restaurants and 1 buffet, competitive restaurant reservations, rooms could do with a bit of updating, if you stay in a room that is facing the pool, it can get loud some nights with people.

I know that looks like many cons, but really, that was not the point of our trip. We just wanted to getaway, relax, and we would happily come back here again given the choice.

Tips- if you mind noise, and you're not a spring breaker, ask for a non pool-side room. Bring lots of small change, I asked for change every day and they never had any. The "resort credit" book you get seems very nice, but it doesn't help very much. For example, the internet coupon didn't apply to 1 day of internet, only 3 days or longer. So, be wary.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mpgiesemann, marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I would highly recommend this resort! They have something for everyone here.

1.) Check In/Staff - The check-in experiences was very smooth and painless. When I arrived I walked right up to the desk and they pulled up my reservation (print your reservation, I was told to do so based on previous visitor experiences). I was assisted up to my room and the features of the resort were fully explained to me. I found all of the staff to be very helpful! They tend to remember you by name and love to chat you up. Everyone speaks great English, but they are even more delighted when you speak some Spanish with them. I found that tips are highly appreciated here.

2.) Activities - They have a daily schedule of activities by the pool that include sports/games, classes, and a nightly show. The first night I got there they had a Michael Jackson show on the stage, it was awesome. There is also a game room/snack room, massage/spa, and fitness center.

3.) Food - The food is amazing. The buffet restaurant does not require reservations and you can be satisfied with just going there during your stay. The variety at the buffet is great and the options are changed daily. The seafood restaurant is also nice and reservations were not too much of a hassle. If you happen to go to the buffet here, Alfredo Lopez is the best server ever. Look for him and you'll have a great experience.

4.) Drinks/Bars - The bars are very nice. There is a lobby bar and a beach bar. I never had to wait too long for drinks and they were all great! Once again, I noticed that tips are greatly appreciated. I tend to tip even for all-inclusive and so that might have had something to do with the speed and value of the service.

5.)Families - This is a very family friendly environment. I don't have kids, but I noticed lots of people there with their kids and they all had a great time. Kids really enjoyed the pool.

I can't wait to go back here. I'm already looking at dates to try to return. Make sure you book the amount of time that you want upfront. When I got there, I tried to extend my stay because I was enjoying it so much and they were completely booked! This place is great!

Room Tip: My room was right above the pool area. I enjoyed being able to hear/view the shows from my room/bal...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you on a longer break soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is perfect in every way but one, the bar shuts at 12am... However, there is a 24 hour snack bar that still serves after 12pm unless someone gets drunk, then they switch off the tap but if you ask the manager, he will put it back on (or you could do it yourself by turning the small lever next to the beer tap handle). The bars are great though, you must try the frozen margarita, mojito, superman and mai tai cocktails! The rooms are amazing! Huge bed, huge showers, free minifridge which is stocked every day with a few beers and soft drinks. Restaurants are amazing, even though my mate and I mostly stuck to Albatros as you didn't need to reserve seats and they offered an amazing choice of food and changing the food theme each night... the Japanese night was amazing!! The pool is big and its not hard to find deck chairs with the beach being popular with most and the rest being out on trips. The beach is great, nice beach bar serving beers and cocktails, a volleyball net, sun loungers and its kept clean all the time. The entertainment staff are great, they have activities going on around the pool throughout the day and offer great club packages to the biggest clubs. The location of the Barcelo is great, it's right near the north laguna bridge so away from the noise of the party zone but with regular busses going every two minutes 24 hours a day for just a dollar, its not too far away from the fun.

Other than the bar closing at 12am rather than when the last person leaves, I could not find a single fault with this hotel. The staff are great, the rooms are brilliant and I will definitely be going back next year.. Give it a try, you wont be disappointed!

Room Tip: We had room 143 on the bottom floor out to the right of the main reception, we had the most amazing...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you on a longer break soon.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Hey future travelers,

I had a very relaxing time and party time as well at this good hotel! You can both party and relax; the clientele is diverse, from groups of young people, to families, to old friends. It is very clean as well.

The food is good, lots of fried meat, but tasty. Comes along with good salads and pasta place. Lots of fruits for breakfast and good coffee. So overall GOOD food for the buffet. There are 3 other restaurants which serve great food also.

The service, from reception, to buffet, to restaurants, to bars, to housekeeping is GREAT. Always smiling and working freaking hard. They never stop, so you should tip them for their good work.

You will always get a spot at the beach or around the big pool, to put your things and relax. Good place to snorkel too, since their is big fishes nearby! The only downer is that its near the port. So lots of boats passing by a lot... it's not that bad of a thing for me, but my dad and other people were actually SPLASHED AND COVERED IN PETROL when they were swimming. Took ages to clean, and the hotel replaced the swimsuit and snorkel equipment after he asked.

That incident is the only negative thing that I can associate with the hotel, so if you have a chance, go to cool place, but be careful with boats passing by!

Room Tip: Definitely not near the 24hrs snack bar, neither on the bottom floor near lobby.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún
It was a pleasure to have you with us,

Pittsburgh
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was my first time staying in an al-inclusive resort, and though I was hesitant about spending the extra money, Barcelo was great. There were four restaurants: a buffet, a Spanish place, a seafood place, and a Mexican place. Though all were quite nice, only two buffets were open for breakfast and lunch. The resort also had two bars, and since we purchased the all-inclusive package, it was an open bar for us all week. Waiters would walk around the pool and beach and offer to refill drinks or get you a new one, which was really awesome.
The beach area has a ton of lounge chairs as well as water equipment for rental (non-motorized are free), but was a little small. The best time to go is early morning, as there is almost nobody at the beach, which is great for reading or relaxing.
Our room was also pretty nice, about average for nicer hotels in the United States.
The staff was always friendly and courteous, and the front desk exchanged other currencies for pesos at a very good rate.
The only negative was that the night entertainment and loud noises from the bar would sometimes go past midnight and we heard it all from our rooms.
Other than that, it was a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
mpgiesemann, MArketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, March 14, 2013

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel was up-to-date, the food was good, and the service much better than I expected. The pool is large, and the natural beach is really nice. There is an additional fee for wireless internet, but it's not all that expensive compared to other places I have stayed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

London
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for 11 nights in Feb 2013 and really enjoyed our stay here. We had a good sized room with 2 king size beds but the balcony was small and only had a view of the car park. All the staff were lovely and nothing was ever to much trouble, I agree with the other comments people have made that the desk staff could be more helpfull. The beach is small but lovely, bit too much shade for our liking but meant we didn't burn the whole holiday. Food was brilliant apart from the Mexcian resturant we did not enjoy. The music around the pool was always very loud so we just went to the beach most days. The bus that runs through Cancun and to the shopping malls etc is excellent and comes every couple of mins and it only 8.50 pesos! Coco Bongos is a must for a night out, it's a bit crazy and nothing like the clubs in the UK. We had perfect weather apart from the first couple of days and all in all we would go back and stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you with your family on a longer break soon.