“A great Value for the Money”

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #44 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Madison, Wisconsin
“A great Value for the Money”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel was up-to-date, the food was good, and the service much better than I expected. The pool is large, and the natural beach is really nice. There is an additional fee for wireless internet, but it's not all that expensive compared to other places I have stayed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BLW597
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future

Marc Giesemann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for 11 nights in Feb 2013 and really enjoyed our stay here. We had a good sized room with 2 king size beds but the balcony was small and only had a view of the car park. All the staff were lovely and nothing was ever to much trouble, I agree with the other comments people have made that the desk staff could be more helpfull. The beach is small but lovely, bit too much shade for our liking but meant we didn't burn the whole holiday. Food was brilliant apart from the Mexcian resturant we did not enjoy. The music around the pool was always very loud so we just went to the beach most days. The bus that runs through Cancun and to the shopping malls etc is excellent and comes every couple of mins and it only 8.50 pesos! Coco Bongos is a must for a night out, it's a bit crazy and nothing like the clubs in the UK. We had perfect weather apart from the first couple of days and all in all we would go back and stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amy021
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you with your family on a longer break soon.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed here for 10 days in February 2013. The weather was amazing each day and that certainly added to our enjoyment of this resort but the staff here were so wonderful and cheerful and worked hard each day to make our stay really great. We were in room 647 and had a wonderful partial view of the ocean and the pool and entertainment area and yet we were away from the noise. We had a king sized bed and only a small balcony. The shower was fantastic and we always had lots of hot water. The maids were in daily to clean and it was always spotless. The a la carte restaurants were ok, we liked the buffet better. We were always able to find something that we would enjoy and preferred to sit outside and listen to the ocean and just relax. The staff got to know our preferences and spoiled us on my birthday, they went out of their way to celebrate with me and brought me a cake to finish up breakfast and again at supper! We found this to be a really international resort and counted up that we had met people from 20 different countries while we were there. We took long walks on the beach and decided that our beach was the best in the area, lots of shaded areas. It was also easy to catch the bus on the main street and go downtown or to the Malecon. The staff were always eager to give us tips and assist us. I would return here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dreamweaver02
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you with your family on a longer break soon.
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My boyfriend and i stayed in this hotel in June. Great holiday, we researched the rooms and booked a junior suite as this comes with a balcony and hammock. (Standard rooms have just a patio door and fence).. Service was excellent, food was good and lots choice, drinks were easy to get and good entertainments team. The negatives which are small as loads to do, was the large groups younger people mainly Brits from Newcastle (I'm English myself) getting drunk all the time, long way go and aexpensive destination got to just get hammered day in day out in my opinion.. 2nd let down was beach was small lots of boats and water smelt petroleum on occassion. probably due to the number party boats and excursions travelling past. But still good hotel with good facilities. A little tip to the cleaners and waitress/ bar staff goes a long way and they will look after you like kings. A small change tip can equals a days wage to Mexicans so they appreciate it and look after you. Great time great fun, loads tips to do and places explore!

Room Tip: Junior suite will ensure a balcony standard rooms appear very small.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just got back from our trip to Cancun. Stayed in the Barcelo Costa Cancun for a week and we were very happy with the Staff and the facilities. The food was amazing!!! The beach is not very big and there are boats comming in and out beside the beach at all times. This kept us entertained. We loved the pool and the activities that were held there.
The only problems we encountered was with getting internet access which we found very expensive and not very reliable. We had a bit of an issue with the hot water in our shower, but soon discovered how to work arround it.
Over all we have been very happy with this hotel and we would definately go back.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a junior suite with ocean view and it was out of this world!!! Worth the extra money...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nelly N

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Myself and two of my girlfriends just came back from our stay at the hotel... Upon arriving the hotel has a great atmosphere, with music playing by the pool and a really nice beach!
As three twenty year olds, one thing that we were not crazy about was the first couple days at the hotel there were mostly couples and families.. As the week went on more younger people came but if you are a young adult and you are looking for a party hotel, then I highly reccomend the Oasis!(I will reiterate, only if you are going to party) it's amazing, mostly only 18-30 year olds that are all just looking to have a good time.

Aside from that though, the hotel and bar manager introduced himself to us right away and made sure that we felt welcome and told us that if we needed anything we shouldn't be shy to ask.

The rooms themselves are average, nothing special but nice. We paid for a standard room so we didn't have much of a balcony or a view but what they don't tell you is for 15 dollars you can upgrade your room, so I would do that! We met some people that were staying in the deluxe sweets and the balcony had a hammock and everything!
All of the staff was soo friendly and welcoming, by the end of the trip we had made friends with a couple of them! The people at the front desk are not included in that review though . They were meh.

If you want to buy wifi time through the hotel, DON'T! It's sooo expensive. I can't remember the prices exactly but I beleive for example, 5 days of one 30 minute wifi session a day was 300 dollars. Wish I was kidding! We figured out that if you go to this little place called "The Pirate Bar" or something like that, they will give you free wifi as long as you buy a drink! The bar is not technically a part of the hotel but it is connected to it. You just walk down to the beach, take a right past the volleyball net and the Buffet and you'll see it around the corner! If you have trouble finding it then ask the staff but its fairly easy to find.

The food there is pretty good but if you have a pretty healthy diet like myself be prepared for few options. I ended up just eating whatever but was very satisfied with each meal!
There are some activities to do around the hotel but a would suggest trying some of the excursions that you have available to you! Also, Coco Bongos is a must! For all ages. Seriously changed my life.

Overall, I would definitley stay at this hotel again. I love the staff, atmosphere, food, etc. but as I said, if you are coming as a group of young adults I would try booking Oasis. If you decide not to go there then you will still have an amazing time here. Plus, it is nice to be able to have a quiet sleep and a relaxed hungover morning around the pool!
Families and couples of all ages, I guarantee you will like this hotel.
Hope that helps! Enjoy the cervezas !

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Laurenmartinuzzi
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Families and couples of all ages, I guarantee you will like this hotel.
Hope that helps! Enjoy the cervezas!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Laurenmartinuzzi
Dear Costumer,
Greetings from Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us. We appreciate taking time to review our services, and I am glad you have rated most of our services very high.

I would be checking on the issue related to internet prices.You´re right it´s not free but the price is not 300 dlls. The prices for Wifi are
60 min WiFi
$ 6.00usd
1 Day WiFi
$ 11.20usd
2 Days WiFi
$ 18.60usd
Thank you for choosing us, and hope to see you soon

With warm regards,