“Very nice - Money saving tips + young adult experience.”

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #44 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“Very nice - Money saving tips + young adult experience.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Myself and two of my girlfriends just came back from our stay at the hotel... Upon arriving the hotel has a great atmosphere, with music playing by the pool and a really nice beach!
As three twenty year olds, one thing that we were not crazy about was the first couple days at the hotel there were mostly couples and families.. As the week went on more younger people came but if you are a young adult and you are looking for a party hotel, then I highly reccomend the Oasis!(I will reiterate, only if you are going to party) it's amazing, mostly only 18-30 year olds that are all just looking to have a good time.

Aside from that though, the hotel and bar manager introduced himself to us right away and made sure that we felt welcome and told us that if we needed anything we shouldn't be shy to ask.

The rooms themselves are average, nothing special but nice. We paid for a standard room so we didn't have much of a balcony or a view but what they don't tell you is for 15 dollars you can upgrade your room, so I would do that! We met some people that were staying in the deluxe sweets and the balcony had a hammock and everything!
All of the staff was soo friendly and welcoming, by the end of the trip we had made friends with a couple of them! The people at the front desk are not included in that review though . They were meh.

If you want to buy wifi time through the hotel, DON'T! It's sooo expensive. I can't remember the prices exactly but I beleive for example, 5 days of one 30 minute wifi session a day was 300 dollars. Wish I was kidding! We figured out that if you go to this little place called "The Pirate Bar" or something like that, they will give you free wifi as long as you buy a drink! The bar is not technically a part of the hotel but it is connected to it. You just walk down to the beach, take a right past the volleyball net and the Buffet and you'll see it around the corner! If you have trouble finding it then ask the staff but its fairly easy to find.

The food there is pretty good but if you have a pretty healthy diet like myself be prepared for few options. I ended up just eating whatever but was very satisfied with each meal!
There are some activities to do around the hotel but a would suggest trying some of the excursions that you have available to you! Also, Coco Bongos is a must! For all ages. Seriously changed my life.

Overall, I would definitley stay at this hotel again. I love the staff, atmosphere, food, etc. but as I said, if you are coming as a group of young adults I would try booking Oasis. If you decide not to go there then you will still have an amazing time here. Plus, it is nice to be able to have a quiet sleep and a relaxed hungover morning around the pool!
Families and couples of all ages, I guarantee you will like this hotel.
Hope that helps! Enjoy the cervezas !

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Laurenmartinuzzi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Families and couples of all ages, I guarantee you will like this hotel.
Hope that helps! Enjoy the cervezas!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Laurenmartinuzzi
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Costumer,
Greetings from Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us. We appreciate taking time to review our services, and I am glad you have rated most of our services very high.

I would be checking on the issue related to internet prices.You´re right it´s not free but the price is not 300 dlls. The prices for Wifi are
60 min WiFi
$ 6.00usd
1 Day WiFi
$ 11.20usd
2 Days WiFi
$ 18.60usd
Thank you for choosing us, and hope to see you soon

With warm regards,
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2013

nice hotel had room 739 first week in feb 2013 beautiful view small balcony and not very nice bathroom staff at front desk could have been more helpful no one explained needing to use card for eletricity complained about bathroom and no iron just were told we had a beautiful view handed a new iron no offer made to upgrade and when asked if could have better room were just reminded of our view gave up at that point also coincerage desk not very helpful but the best buy vacations was very good

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marcie H
Dear Sir,
I would be checking on the issue related to your room .
Thank you for choosing .....

With warm regards,
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks in June 2012. The hotel is lovely, looks exactly like the pictures! The location was OK, bus stop across a rather busy road takes you to the main strip/shops in 10mins but isn't in walking distance. The room was clean and spacious, the bathroom wasn't massive but the shower is a good size. Only downside to our room was if you turned the air con off your whole room floor would become wet with condensation and extremely slippy as its all tiled! The staff were lovely, especially the staff around the pool, they get you involved in all the activities which are a great laugh! The four restaurants were not as good as expected, the main restaurant that you didn't have to book generally had a good selection of food each night but the other 3 had little choice, i am fussy though i must admit. I would advise against booking any excursions through the desk at the pool area, the company are separate from the hotel and are extremely rude and unhelpful, they refuse to give you any money back even if the weather is horrible on the day of your excursion. Staff in hotel offer nights out to all of the clubs and I highly recommend going with them, it is a lot cheaper than paying at the club and they take you to the VIP areas! Coco bongos is a MUST! Would definetly stay at this hotel again, it was a great experience.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Carleyx
Dear Customer
Thank you for choosing the Barceló Costa Cancún during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future.
Very truly yours,
The Management
scunthorpe
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I spent a fortnight in the barcelo and was highly delighted with the hotel staff hotel itself and the service which was delivered with a cheery smile at all times.the animation team went from good to mediocre but again the enthusiasm was tremendous.we did the jungle tour and the coco bongos which is a must in cancun a very relaxing holiday which was made all the better by meeting some lovely people food in abundance something for everyone would highly recommened the barcelo costa.

Room Tip: there is a con about a french balcony but nothing to bad
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ScunthorpeFitz
Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa cancun It was a pleasure to have you with us,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Me and my friend went on 10th April for a week. We enjoyed our stay all the way through. One minor problem was when we got into a room with no balcony although we booked a french balcony room.This was sorted within a short time and we could get on with our holiday. Not that we stayed in our room much tho :) Just a note to all who are booking "ocean view" - please do NOT think this will be diretcty ovelooking the sea, you may be on a side. If you want to make sure you have direct sea view, book "ocean front"! And one more thing to point out - there are different staff for cleaning your room and for refilling your minibar, so don't expect both of these to be done in one go. We pretty much liked the food in the buffet restaurant as there was so much to choose from every day, you definitely can't get bored of the food in a week. We also tryed Don Quijote and was just fab! Tried the spa and Gym, average but it has all basic things you need! Our hotspot was the beach bar, the staff there were fantastic, especially Julio and Emmanuel. We enjoyed our margaritas and tequilas every day/night! Staff in the main bar was not so friendly but ok-ish. Every night there is a different entertainment by the pool, so if you don't make it to the busy Cancun clubs, you will still have something to watch. Also there are two Pirate boats with a programm every night if you wish to try something different. And as for the excursions - gosh, there's so much to do and see in Cancun, however we only had a few days, so we went for the Chichen Itza trip, which was great - you can't beat history!! And one day we also went to Tulum & Xel-Ha. Athough being lazy by the pool on on a beach sunbed with a margarita in hand is great, do definitely go on one of these trips, you won't regret.
All in all, I'd be happy to come back this year!

Room Tip: Remember that there's a difference between sea view and sea front!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Misha H
Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,

Maine
Reviewed February 23, 2013

For starters, if you are a younger 20ish something person looking for a big party resort, this is not your place, keep looking. The Costa is definitely more geared toward the 40 to 50 crowd and young families. It is on the small side as far as the resorts go. There are really only two bars and four restaurant choices as opposed to some of the big resorts that have nine bars and eleven restaurants. So heres the low down on the things folks seem to care about:

Check In: Went fine. We arrived early so the room wasn't ready but they gave us our wrist bands and we were off to the races. We received a room upgrade without asking, so we ended up with a deluxe which gave us a pool view and a bigger balcony with a hammock.

Room: Clean and plenty big enough. Big shower in the bathroom and plenty of toiletries to include disposable shaving and dental kits but no body lotion. King bed and a lounger plus the balcony. No complaints. Mini fridge was stocked when we got there and re-stocked everyday. Maid service was prompt ( a little too prompt one day) and pleasant.

Food: I'd say the buffet food was average for an IA. Lots of variety and it was all pretty good. If you can't find something to eat you're trying hard to find fault. We only ate at the Spanish sit down but it was good both times and we had excellent service thanks to Angel. We ate at Claraboya for breakfast every morning and the staff were great as well.

Beach: The beach area is small but it never seemed crowded. There are lots of loungers available and plenty of choice between shade or sun. The beach was very clean and there was always a volleyball game going on if thats your thing.

Bars: Bar service could be slow but it seemed that they were understaffed sometimes. The beach bar really needed two or three bartenders instead of one. The drinks were fine once you got them.

Entertainment: It was OK. Not the best I've seen and not the worst. Good for a distraction for a little while. Actually the "warm up" act ( a guy playing sax) was better.

Overall we had a good stay. I would stay here again but wouldn't make it a destination trip if you know what I mean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KwiChan
mpgiesemann, marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Costumer,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,

It would be a pleasure to have you on a longer break soon.