“Barcelo Costa Cancun”

Ranked #45 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Carluke, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Barcelo Costa Cancun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Before travelling to this hotel i read some pritty bad reviews and was pritty worried. On arrival we were impressed had quick check in was given a ground floor room but asked to move we got moved straight away. We had some ants in the bathroom at the sink and flies in bathroom on final day these sort off thinks were a one off if you use a repel spray or plug in these are easily fixed. Standard rooms are great they are big enough and was impressed by the size of the room. Our safe stopped working and was worried due to the reviews on here had no issues staff fixed the probles straight away. Was nothing to worry about. Very pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel the hotel is very clean and is cleaned all day your rooms are cleaned daily. Bar staff are great especially at the lobby bar give you a new drink before your finished and they remember what you are drinking. Bar staff are always helpful and friendly.
The beach is great me and my boyfriend are not beach people but loved the beach so much the staff make sure the stuff coming out of the water is cleared from the beach on a daily basis. Cannot fault the staff in the hotel. Breakfast and lunch in the buffet is very good. The dinner is ok at night in buffet but the three resturants are much better and used them as much as possible. It is a 10 min bus journey to the main strip but only costs a dollar or 8.50 pesos. This hotel is suited to everyone was really good holiday and really good hotel. would love to go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed at barcelo costa cancan in September 2012 and had the best holiday I've had so far. The hotel was excellent and the staff were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely come back. The entertainment around the pool was very good and the night life is brilliant.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Catherine1990
Caerphilly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as a group of female friends. It is kept lovely and clean with good facilities. Gym has excellent equipment and is air conditioned and there is a small spa area below (jacuzzi, sauna, steam room) however, each day we went there one of the spa facilities would fail to work.
The hotel has 3 a la carte restaurants and one buffet. The seafood and spanish restaurant was lovely. However, although the buffet had lots of choice, it wasn't the nicest and the waiter service for drinks was pretty average. Many of them quite miserable. We later found the seafood restaurant did breakfast and was much nicer!
The entertainment team are fantastic with lots of day time activities going on such as water polo, beach volley ball, darts etc. However, the evening entertainment stops at 10 as the team take people off to the clubs in Cancun. This left families with not alot to do and even we found when we wanted quieter nights after 10 we were bored and retired to our rooms to watch tv. This is why i wouldn't recommend this as a family hotel. The Bar shuts at 12 and sometimes shut earlier, it is not a 24 hour bar as it was made out to be in the brochure.
The one more complaint I would make is that the pool turns everything green. My friends hair turned green and all our bikinis are ruined. The hotel had numerous complaints about this but just blamed it on peoples sun cream.
Overall, the rooms are very comfortable and spacious. Balconies have hammocks which i thought was a nice touch. Its a nice hotel for groups of people or couples who want to chill in the day and hit Cancun clubs in the night.

Room Tip: VIP Rooms can be booked on arrival or by contacting hotel directly beforehand. These have large balc...
2 Thank Jen R
mpgiesemann, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Customer
Thank you for choosing the Barceló Costa Cancún during your trip to Cancun. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future.

Very truly yours,

The Management
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in September after booking with First Choice. Had a superior room as it was the same price as a standard room (probably because it faced to car park) but it was huge. Shared with my best friend and we had a double bed each and a big bathroom. The room was really clean and maids came everyday with new towels etc.

The pool area was really big, cleaned every morning and there were lots of sunbeds. Plus you could get a new beach towel everyday free of charge. There was always activities going on around the pool and quite loud music so you could sit on the beach if you wanted a bit of quiet. Beach was small but big enough and had loads of sunbeds and a great beach bar where you could have whatever cocktail you wanted! There was also another bar by the pool and then a kind of mini bar in the hotel which was open 24 hours.

Food at this hotel was pretty good! The buffet restaurant had a wide selection and had a different theme every night such as Mexican, Italian, BBQ. At breakfast you could have your eggs made fresh, there was a pasta bar which was always open where you could get whatever type of pasta you wanted cooked and there was always something being cooked to order in the evening. Besides the buffet there was 3 other restaurants: Spanish, Mexican and Seafood, which you had to book in the morning. The Mexican restaurant was especially good! Also, the seafood restaurant was open for breakfast and lunch as well (no need to book) and did mexican food but also pizza, pasta, club sandwich, etc.

There was an hours entertainment from 9-10 every night which was usually pretty good but could have gone on later. At 10pm the hotel sells wristbands to the clubs and provides transport there which is a good way to meet other people at the hotel.

Overall I had a great stay at this hotel and would recommend it although I do think it is more suited to a younger crowd.

1 Thank sophpb
Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Puyallup, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was my first time to Cancun, so with that being said I dont have much to compare it to, but over all had a fantastic time! Very few complaints (which I will get to later) but mostly positive! The beach here was beautiful! Spent MOST of my time right there on it, in the water and on the beach chairs, which in September there are plenty!!! This Hotel was so clean, and the staff was very nice! They clean the beach all day everyday so its always nice, and the grounds themselves are impeccable! Everytime I looked someone was cleaning something which was very nice! Our room was on the top floor, the 7th, with an ocean view which did not disappoint! The balcony was very spacious, and had a hammock to use as well, although I didnt much because of the humidity in the Cancun air, I believe there was mildew or something in it due to the smell, but was a nice touch! The bathroom and shower were huge and the room was comfortable and spacious for us! The housekeeping here was also wonderful! We had a VERY efficient Housekeeper who spoiled us, and kept our room neat and tidy every single day! Loved her! and she always had a smile on her face, which made it all that more enjoyable! The bus stop is right outside the resort, across the street, and I highly recommend using it! its less than $1 USD, and you can get anywhere you need to go! For directions ask the desk people for the ones outside the lobby dont have the best direction! They had safes in the room, which are very different from ones I'm used to in the US, but worked great! JUST DONT LOSE THE KEY TO THE LOCK!!!! Also the towel/card system is a little inconvenient, I didnt like having to have a card to check out a towel, it made a little bit of a hassle, but still did it! The Lobby bar made the BEST drinks, the other beach bar, not as good...depending on the bartender, they really like to make drinks sweet out there, but cant complain for all inclusive! Drinks in the restaurants were delicious as well! The restaurants were not bad, not the best food I've had, but not bad at all, the buffet on the other hand was terrible! The food choices were poor, the flavors were bland, and most things looked as though they were premade hours before service. I was very very very disappointed in that buffet. I like a lot of flavor, and fresh food and found neither in that place during the entire week I stayed. Even breakfast, which is simple, was a huge disappointment. I recommend getting your reservations for the restaurants and making it into them whenever possible to avoid eating in the buffet. Being a Seattle resident one thing I was so pleased to find throughout the entire resort (even the buffet) was delicious coffee! Another thing that didnt set well with me was the complete and total lack of cold beverages. EVERYTHING is warm!! I had enough warm Carona to last me a lifetime, if you are drinking, anything, get it on ice, otherwise it will be warm! Even the in room mini-fridge only kept them luke warm...not refreshing on a hot humid day! One saving grace in that department was right next door is the Pirate Tavern where they are fully stocked with ice cold beer! Best beers I had my whole trip were right there! Barcelo Costa had nightly entertainment, and offered wifi (which I feel was over priced) but its nice to be able to use your phone here and there! I wish they had restrooms in the restaurants, and one closer to the beach area, for the bathrooms were VERY inconvenient, it was frustrating to be in dinner having a nice meal and having to walk outside and clear across the pool area to use the restroom. and my only other complaint, which isnt major is that within the resort gift shop, front desk (for wifi and things) they only accept pesos. Being from the US, and so many others from the same I feel it would be easier on the guests if they accepted either, USD, or Pesos. The front desk does do a complimentary currency exchange but it is quite a hassle. You MUST have your passport every single time, fill out paperwork, sign your life away then get the pesos, so be prepared for that! Over all my stay was relaxing, warm. and comfortable, and the people were very kind and accommodating! I would recommend Barcelo Costa to friends and family with the full disclosure of the inconveniences I found along the way. Beautiful and clean resort, with fun, beautiful beach and easy access to the rest of the city!

Room Tip: 7th floor, rooms with a view are worth the money! The balconies are bigger, and if you like fresh ai...
2 Thank Debbie T
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the hotel July 2012 with a group of 19 friends aged between 20-32. We had a great time, the hotel and other guests were great company. The rooms are very spacious with giant bathrooms and adequate balconies with hammocks :) there were 3 in our room and one of our party slept on a camp bed which she said was very comfy. With our party being as big as it was i was able to see a few different types of room in different sections of the buildings which i would have been happy to stay in all.
breakfast was best meal of the day with fresh omlettes and really nice sausage! we didnt eat as a big group but was always able to get seating together.lunch was nice but if you ate a big brekkie and lunch you didnt always feel like tea so i didnt eat there much on the evening.
there is a 24 hr snack bar where you can get pizza salad soda and hot dogs so we just used to have them later of a night.
the tickets for the clubs sold by the hotel was good value which included transport. we always booked through them
the pool side entertainment was fun, just get invovled once and they'll love you!
there was two things i found poor. being a big group it took them nearly an hour to check us in, which after a 10 hour flight you caught at 6am was not great! i would have thought they would have been more organised.
another was the a la carte. you have to pre order and being a big group they gave us a limited menu. which is pointless considering you have to pre order anyway!! so why we had a reduced menu when we paid the same as everyone else was frustrating, but the food we had was good. the spanish restaurant tried to serve our veggie a plate of stir fry noodles till we told them to do one and get her a proper meal though!
pool side service was good. if you are polite to the staff they are polite back - it makes sense.
the beach area is lovely and so is the hotel itslef - i would definatly go back.
location wise this hotel is great to get to pirate ship and catermaran day trip. you two min walk from the bus stop which is like 10p to get to the centre. taxis range from $10-$20 depending on time of day and amount of passengers.
you can also get Dominos delivered to your room!
however i wouldnt book with Thomsons! they were a waste of space, but his is about Barcelo not Thomson.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room and didnt get any hasstle with bugs and was close to the pool, but we was...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brummie-Kim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel is in a good location, very close to main attractions. Very friendly staff with great service. Lots of things to do through the day. Anyone that travels to Mexico will not be disapointed. The bars and clubs have great music and entertainment to match. For me I would definitely come back. Only one thing I think should change and that would be the saxophone player on the evening

• Stayed September 2012